• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Calvin & Hobbes

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I agree that he's an undeveloped ENFP. Or rather he's an undeveloped ENP -- MBTI theory states that the auxiliary perspective is refined around age 10-12, and Calvin fits that profile quite well -- Ti versus Fi is somewhat ambiguous, but he does seem to be developing into a Feeler.

Hobbes is probably an N, however (INTJ). He's every bit as abstract and Calvin, despite being more down to Earth, and is very good at predicting the moves of people around him. His favorite hobby appears to be fucking up Calvin's zany plans after determining how they're likely to conclude.

Emectar

MBTI Type
ENFP
I can see the reasoning for N and its definitely the letter i debated with myself the most over.

But i think Hobbes's thoughtfulness is not necessarily abstract. Think of that strip where calvin asks him, 'why do you think we're here', (big picture), and hobbes responds 'because we walked here' (details). And then calvin says, 'no i mean why is man here', (big picture), and hobbes responds, 'because earth can support life' (details).

Its such an S/N encounter.

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Calvin is very F-ish. He's reactive like one but on the other hand- he's just a kid- so T is reasonable.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Fi filters information based on interpretations of worth, forming judgments according to criteria that are often intangible. Fi constantly balances an internal set of values such as harmony and authenticity. Attuned to subtle distinctions, Fi innately senses what is true and what is false in a situation.

Ti seeks precision, such as the exact word to express an idea. It notices the minute distinctions that define the essence of things, then analyzes and classifies them. Ti examines all sides of an issue, looking to solve problems while minimizing effort and risk. It uses models to root out logical inconsistency.

Well he lives in such an imaginative world, that his grasp of 'true and false' is kind of lacking most of the time. I would argue this to mean it's unlikely he maintains much Fi.

hold on - you're saying an NF is unlikely to build an imaginative world? i'm not trying to be an ass here, just pointing out how odd this sounds. and the wrong/right, true/false of Fi is not Wrong/Right, True/False... it's situational evaluation. what is appropriate/important or not given the circumstances.

for example, let's take throwing snowballs at cars. sounds like a calvin-y thing to do. not particularly nice, but not terrorizing, either. would i as an F do this? yes, probably, if i found it fun and fairly harmless. that's the part of the equation that's very much Fi and that i think is being misinterpreted here - Fi doesn't necessarily argue be a fluff bunny in every circumstance, it just pushes for evaluation. throwing a snowball at a car with an obnoxious kid blaring music is totally different from throwing one at a little old lady who's minding her own business. in the first case, that kid is harder to disturb because he is an obnoxious 20-something and he's already infringing upon others with the music, so it's not a big deal to hit him. it's "right" - not Right - just okay given the situation. but the grandma could get really startled and is being cute and quiet anyway, so why snowball her? that's "wrong".

Since he interprets things into the 'essence' of them, and breaks them into metaphors (his imagination) to better express them and understand such, as well as goes to great lengths to minimize effort (aliens ate my homework! Gravity reversed, I couldn't do anything!), and his models are all based off Ne, which means the logic he uses is consistent within his own imaginary world, I would suggest Ti is more likely than Fi as his secondary function.

don't limit being a slacker to NTPs, lol

i think it's hard to type a 6 year old, especially in comics (admit it, NT is cruelty is funnier than NF idealism), and i haven't read much calvin and hobbes recently... but, since everyone's claiming calvin for their own type, i figure i'll put in one for ENFP :laugh:

i can see calvin as a mischievous (not-very-developed Fi) ENFP - our Ne and Te can override Fi sometimes, making us not quite so moral as INFPs. but calvin seems more Fi than Ti to me, and spending all your time in an imaginary world is certainly NFPish. as for E, ENFPs can be plenty socially introverted. i am, and was. i was like the IFP kid profile way more than ENP... and do note that calvin makes up hobbes to be his companion. he really is not happy with internal stimulation alone. and he seems too generally naughty/willing to antagonize for the fun of it to be an INFP, yet not nearly logical/systems oriented enough to be an NTP... like someone said before, calvinball has no rules!

haha well now i've convinced myself :hifive:

that was really just for fun though. debate it as you please.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
But i think Hobbes's thoughtfulness is not necessarily abstract. Think of that strip where calvin asks him, 'why do you think we're here', (big picture), and hobbes responds 'because we walked here' (details). And then calvin says, 'no i mean why is man here', (big picture), and hobbes responds, 'because earth can support life' (details).
That was actually more Te than anything. Hobbes didn't feel like talking, so he gave Calvin the shortest answers he could think of to shut him the hell up.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hobbes is wise but not especially toughtfull. His opinions are outspoken and essentially based on value judgments. Plus he's fun, extroverted, warm and caring. I still think he's an extroverted feeler. I see an Fe/Fi opposition between him and Calvin. One defends cooperatives and responsive values, the other one defends an amoral and sefish subjectivity (Calvin is an immature and unhealthy INFP).*

Fro the parents
The dad: ESTJ
The mum: ISTJ

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm convinced you live in an alternate universe where characters act differently than they do for the rest of us. Hobbes defends cooperative values? What the fuck?

Oh, and Calvin is an extrovert. Aside from the fact the kid is essentially Ne incarnate, he pretty much created Hobbes to keep him company. That screams "I need a friend," and ENFPs are often socially awkward.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm convinced you live in an alternate universe where characters act differently than they do for the rest of us. Hobbes defends cooperative values? What the fuck?

He values morality, and is often ofended by Calvin's selfishness. He has not inhibitions and he flirts very easily, your idea of INTJ of him is insane.

Oh, and Calvin is an extrovert. Aside from the fact the kid is essentially Ne incarnate, he pretty much created Hobbes to keep him company. That screams "I need a friend," and ENFPs are often socially awkward.

Do you think extroverts who need a friend tend more to invent an imaginary friend or to seek for a friend outside? An extrovert who had just an imaginary friend would be a sad extrovert, i's also true for most part of introverts, sign that Calvin is an extreme introvert. Plus, he's not especially akward, he just a terrible compagny for most part of peoples.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Do you think extroverts who need a friend tend more to invent an imaginary friend or to seek for a friend outside?
It's not uncommon for Ne-dominants to either find common people boring, or simply not be able to figure out a way to approach them. There's a reason ENTP and ENFP are the only extrovert types that are commonly found on the internet -- just take look around this site.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
. Hobbes defends cooperative values? What the fuck?.

Example:
Calvin-And-Hobbes-Comic-Strip-calvin--26-hobbes-70617_950_668.jpg

As a general rules, Hobbes is kind and peaceful, tough he can be very teaser sometimes, he's above all playful, and sometimes a bit critical and sarcastical, but in a minor way.
It's not uncommon for Ne-dominants to either find common people boring, or simply not be able to figure out a way to approach them. There's a reason ENTP and ENFP are the only extrovert types that are commonly found on the internet -- just take look around this site.

You don't proof anything.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx

yeah, i really agree with this. not being social all the time doesn't immediately disqualify you from being an extravert. i tested INFP on all the little high school career tests because of this. but functionally, i am very Ne dom. my ENTP cousin is similar... it took us both until college to really open up socially, and we still both spend a lot of time on our own or with just a couple of close people. Ne dom creates a sort of removal from your environment that i think often manifests in social relationships. we lack the suave of Fe dom, the grounding of Te dom, and the natural flow of Se dom. for me personally it's hard to know where to start with people.

also...

Bill Waterson (the artist) said:
Calvin is pretty easy to do because he is outgoing and rambunctious, and there's not much of a filter between his brain and his mouth. I guess he's a little too intelligent for his age. The thing that I really enjoy about him is that he has no sense of restraint; he doesn't have the experience yet to know the things that you shouldn't do

introvert?

Mr. Sherlock Holmes

Consulting Detective
MBTI Type
JiNe
Enneagram
5W4
I agree with the sentiment that Calvin is an INFP.

I'm surprised people are typing Hobbes as an J. I think he is an INTP. He is imaginative and philosophical like Calvin and a bit of a joker, but is less zany and more rational and down to earth.

The dad... probably an NT. Not an INTJ. Could be any of the other 3.

I can't remember much of the mum, but she seemed S, J I think.

musicnerd93

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Calvin is usually listed under "Fictional INFPs" on the INFP profile pages.

I can definantly see some of myself in Calvin, so I think INFP.

Dunno about everyone else.

GalaxyMelody2

Everyone is saying how they were like Calvin, and I'm here because I was/am exactly like Hobbes. I'm curious about his type.

I think that Hobbes is an ENFJ. The Fe seems dominant with him. His most nautural way to behave is to be gentle sociable and extrovert, and also driven to tell out what he values, expecting that peoples-especially Calvin- will act in a more ethic way. This is why he's prone to appears like a "givers-of-lessons" sometimes ("teacher" archetype). He's spontaneous, playfull and opened to the fine pleasures of life (tertiary Se) almost as much that he is wise and spiritully inclined (auxillary Ni). His inferior function is Ti: Hobbes don't really seems to really care about logic for itself, except in the way to serve his Fe. For examples to correct sometimes the inconsistencies in the selfish unrealism of Calvin. He has natural affinities with Susy, an ENTJ who has very much in common with him.
I like this description except I think he's too laid back and chill to be an ENFJ, I think he could be an ISFP.

Mole

Permabanned
Calvin mimics the language of adults while not understanding it but using it to dominate. So we have met Calvin, and Calvin is us.

On the other hand, Pogo tells us we have met the enemy, and the enemy is us.

Pogo and Calvin are telling us something.