• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Calvin & Hobbes

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think that Hobbes is an ENFJ. The Fe seems dominant with him. His most nautural way to behave is to be gentle sociable and extrovert, and also driven to tell out what he values, expecting that peoples-especially Calvin- will act in a more ethic way. This is why he's prone to appears like a "givers-of-lessons" sometimes ("teacher" archetype). He's spontaneous, playfull and opened to the fine pleasures of life (tertiary Se) almost as much that he is wise and spiritully inclined (auxillary Ni). His inferior function is Ti: Hobbes don't really seems to really care about logic for itself, except in the way to serve his Fe. For examples to correct sometimes the inconsistencies in the selfish unrealism of Calvin. He has natural affinities with Susy, an ENTJ who has very much in common with him.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Pretty much.

r0wo1

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
Calvin is totally INFP, he is so entirely absored in his world that he is utterly unaware of everything around him half the time. The only interaction he has with anybody other then Hobbes and his parents is forced and usually against his will.

Sure he is loud and insists on making sure his will is heard but I would argue all of his E moments are the result of his dirty survival mode moments.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
^ Seriously...the kids lives in his head. Most of his time is spent with an imaginary friend. He's most concerned with his own thoughts & inner world - the basic definition of an introvert.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Calvin is totally INFP, he is so entirely absored in his world that he is utterly unaware of everything around him half the time. The only interaction he has with anybody other then Hobbes and his parents is forced and usually against his will.

Sure he is loud and insists on making sure his will is heard but I would argue all of his E moments are the result of his dirty survival mode moments.
INTP, then. F is absurd, and I already explained why.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
IMO Calvin is an enneagram 5w4 INFP. That's probably why he comes off as an INTP to some people.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Functionally he actually comes off as ENTP. His social reclusion is the only reason I would even consider INTP, and I still think INFP is out of the question.

r0wo1

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
F is... stupid. He is not warm at all toward his family, and most of the time he's just friendly rather than really warm towards Hobbes.
Most of the time or not, its utterly unimportant whether he is warm or friendly towards Hobbes he is just lacking the ability to properly express his emotions.
CH851225.jpg

Daydreaming and acting on what he values as important are NP traits rather than F traits, and NTPs are just as likely to do so as NFPs.

A quote from an INFP description:
INFPs are flexible and laid-back, until one of their values is violated. In the face of their value system being threatened, INFPs can become aggressive defenders, fighting passionately for their cause.
That just screams Calvin.

He is not, and I repeat, he is not good-hearted at all.
Bullshit:

cal_hobb-raccoon1.jpg

cal_hobb-raccoon2.jpg

cal_hobb-raccoon3.jpg

cal_hobb-raccoon4.jpg

cal_hobb-raccoon5.jpg

cal_hobb-raccoon6.jpg

cal_hobb-raccoon7.jpg

cal_hobb-raccoon8.jpg

cal_hobb-raccoon9.jpg

And there are definitely more examples contrary to your statement.

If he were to be an F (which he is not), he'd be an extremely selfish, spoiled and morbid Fi.
(Psst he's a 6 year old, single child with two parents who while love him, pretty much ignore him. Of course he is selfish and spoiled.)

Good-hearted people do not get kicks from smacking the neighbor upside the head with a snowball, or depict snowmen dying a gruesome death.
HE is still 6. I enjoyed throwing snowballs at people whe I was six, and unfortunately lacked the talent to build gruesome snowmen, but I was always envious.

Furthermore, if he was F he'd be much more motivated by Moe's bullying and much less so by boredom, whereas in reality he doesn't give much of a shit about Moe.
I don't see how this is a point in your favor, how does being motivated by boredom mean anything? I think he is sufficiently motivated by Moe's bullying and goes to what he considers great lengths to stop it, including bringing Hobbes to school to scare him off.

To cinch the deal, his interests just scream Ne Ti on crack. They include:
-Exploring the forest
Half the time as spaceman spiff, or stupendous man or something else. And always bringing his imaginary friend with him... if nothing this screams INFP more then anything.

-Making up games on the fly
His favorite made-up game being Calvinball, in which mind you there are no rules. Are you seriously arguing that Calvin as an INTP would play a game in which the only rule is that there is no system of rules?

-Building gruesome snowmen just to creep out the neighbors
To my knowledge there is no strip in which Calvin admits to building gruesome snowmen for the sake of creeping out the neighbors. In fact all the signs point to the snowman as being Calvin manifesting his creativity. I think what we can see here is the typical INFP rebellious streak of a child who is absurdly misunderstood by his parents.

-Building super fortresses of his own design
Admittedly could be considered more of a Ti trait but is certainly not enough to label him officially as an INTP. Especially considering he would certainly have traits of both types.

Lastly Calvin simply doesn't fit the INTP profile... at all. He exhibits all the signs of the classic INFP child, you can't go compare him to an adult profile (although in many cases it seems he is almost mature enough to be due to his extensive vocabulary and superior intellect). He's just a kid and that is half the point of the strip, you have to think of him in the sense of him being a child. You would have to show me evidence vastly superior to what you already have to convince me of him not being INFP.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I think that Hobbes is an ENFJ. The Fe seems dominant with him. His most nautural way to behave is to be gentle sociable and extrovert, and also driven to tell out what he values, expecting that peoples-especially Calvin- will act in a more ethic way. This is why he's prone to appears like a "givers-of-lessons" sometimes ("teacher" archetype). He's spontaneous, playfull and opened to the fine pleasures of life (tertiary Se) almost as much that he is wise and spiritully inclined (auxillary Ni). His inferior function is Ti: Hobbes don't really seems to really care about logic for itself, except in the way to serve his Fe. For examples to correct sometimes the inconsistencies in the selfish unrealism of Calvin. He has natural affinities with Susy, an ENTJ who has very much in common with him.

Hobbes always came off as an ESFJ to me, but good analysis.

BlackCat

Shaman
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
9w8
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I still think E and T make more sense. His loneliness might be more correlated with being socially awkward rather than actually disliking people, and he created Hobbes to compensate. I is possible, but not likely.

He's such an introvert it hurts. He's always in his own world, all the time. Every INFP I've known has had their own world as a kid; they've had some kind of fantasy that they've always thought about. What you don't understand is that extroversion and introversion aren't about socializing; it's about where you're primarily fixated (the external world or your own world).

F is... stupid. He is not warm at all toward his family, and most of the time he's just friendly rather than really warm towards Hobbes.

This has nothing to be with the T/F axis at all. A lot of F's that I know aren't warm towards their families (including me). A lot of T's that I know are. It isn't a type trait.

Daydreaming and acting on what he values as important are NP traits rather than F traits, and NTPs are just as likely to do so as NFPs.

And what's stopping anyone else from acting on their values? Daydreaming isn't really a type trait either.

He is not, and I repeat, he is not good-hearted at all. If he were to be an F (which he is not), he'd be an extremely selfish, spoiled and morbid Fi. Good-hearted people do not get kicks from smacking the neighbor upside the head with a snowball, or depict snowmen dying a gruesome death.

@ Good hearted... see post above with the strip about the raccoon. You just don't know what you're talking about.

I'm pretty sure he thought the snowman dying was funny, but if someone or something was really dying he'd be totally distressed (see raccoon again). His reactions are pretty I_FP too.

-Exploring the forest
-Making up games on the fly
-Building gruesome snowmen just to creep out the neighbors
-Building superfortresses of his own design

Which leads me to conclude he is, in fact, an ENTP.

Wow you're terrible at typing. None of this has anything to do with a personality type!! How the hell can you even think this?

He further is incapable of doing things that involve minute detail, like basic math (7 + 3 = 73 for instance).

Okay, so all sensors are good at math? Math doesn't really have much to do with details dude... I'm terrible at math past geometry.

Susie is creative, bright and grumpy, and doesn't seem to have friends or like people. She plays a similar role to Hobbes, but without his naughtiness. Furthermore, she is at most an ISFJ, given she is too domineering and goody-goody to be any sort of P.

ISFJs are domineering? ROFL. And again, totally off base on E/I.

You seem to like to tag I_FP characters as E_TP. Like... how you think Harry Potter is an ESTP; and now Calvin an ENTP. I'm not sure where you learned about type, but maybe you ought to actually read about what personality type is about. Have you not caught on that your ideas may be wrong from everyone on the forum going against pretty much everything you say about type?

r0wo1

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
9w1
IMO Calvin is an enneagram 5w4 INFP. That's probably why he comes off as an INTP to some people.

Come to think of it that is my exact typing, and I often confuse myself with an INTP :p. To me this analysis makes sense.

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Fe all the way. he's a little tyrant. there's nothing dreamy about him (which seems un-ifp child). he wants what he wants when he wants it. nor does he seem like an individual self-contained Fi type. he wants attention. he's a self-contained imagination, but he needs enthusiasm--to share enthusiasm--with hobbes. hobbes gets him going.

i agree with 5w4 (probably bill watterson too, i've heard he was a 5 from the girl who taught me the enneagram and told me i was a 5). infj 5w4. she was also one of two females who told me i WAS CALVIN straight from the comic book (i didn't know calvin and hobbes at the time).

i could see hobbes as a laid back sfp.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
r0wo1 has some very good points.

BlackCat on the other hand, has no fucking idea what he's talking about as usual. So I'll address him first.

He's such an introvert it hurts. He's always in his own world, all the time. Every INFP I've known has had their own world as a kid; they've had some kind of fantasy that they've always thought about. What you don't understand is that extroversion and introversion aren't about socializing; it's about where you're primarily fixated (the external world or your own world).
Err, no. I already demonstrated in the last thread you made that stupid argument that it contradicts the dictionary definition of the function. Shall I quote Wikipedia again? Or do you prefer a more trustworthy source?

This has nothing to be with the T/F axis at all. A lot of F's that I know aren't warm towards their families (including me). A lot of T's that I know are. It isn't a type trait.
T- Makes decisions based on rationality. F- Makes decisions based on emotion. This doesn't necessarily mean Ts are more stoic or Fs more emotional, but it makes it very much more likely.

And what's stopping anyone else from acting on their values? Daydreaming isn't really a type trait either.
Daydreaming is disconnection from the physical world in favor of unrealistic, abstract imagination. N all the way. If I remember correctly it's actually a benhmark question for S/N on most Jung typology tests.

Wow you're terrible at typing. None of this has anything to do with a personality type!! How the hell can you even think this?
Because I, unlike you, have actually read what the personality types are. I'll give you yet another recap:

Wikipedia said:
According to Carl Jung, introversion and extraversion refer to the direction of psychic energy. If a person’s psychic energy usually flows outwards then he or she is an extravert, while if the energy usually flows inwards, the person is an introvert.[9] Extraverts feel an increase of perceived energy when interacting with a large group of people, but a decrease of energy when left alone. Conversely, introverts feel an increase of energy when alone, but a decrease of energy when surrounded by a large group of people.
Source

The Myers-Briggs Foundation said:
The second pair of psychological preferences is Sensing and Intuition. Do you pay more attention to information that comes in through your five senses (Sensing), or do you pay more attention to the patterns and possibilities that you see in the information you receive (Intuition)?
Source

This third preference pair describes how you like to make decisions. Do you like to put more weight on objective principles and impersonal facts (Thinking) or do you put more weight on personal concerns and the people involved (Feeling)?
Source

This fourth preference pair describes how you like to live your outer life--what are the behaviors others tend to see? Do you prefer a more structured and decided lifestyle (Judging) or a more flexible and adaptable lifestyle (Perceiving)? This preference may also be thought of as your orientation to the outer world.
Source

Okay, so all sensors are good at math? Math doesn't really have much to do with details dude... I'm terrible at math past geometry.
Which proves you an S. There is a marked difference between higher-level math, which is theoretical and unclear (thus N-oriented), and arithmetic, which is detailed-oriented and rooted on rote memorization. A Sensor would probably get a headache trying to handle combinatorics or advanced statistics, but an Intuitor would have a very hard time performing complex accounting tasks (Simple math with very large numbers) without fucking something up. See the difference?

You seem to like to tag I_FP characters as E_TP. Like... how you think Harry Potter is an ESTP; and now Calvin an ENTP.
Harry is an ESTP. He's sociable (E), clear-headed (T), and instinctually impulsive (SP). Given the actually decent argument that came before yours I now think Calvin is an INFP, though.

I'm not sure where you learned about type, but maybe you ought to actually read about what personality type is about.Have you not caught on that your ideas may be wrong from everyone on the forum going against pretty much everything you say about type?
Appeal to popularity.