First 5678 Last

Thread: Calvin & Hobbes

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

I agree that he's an undeveloped ENFP. Or rather he's an undeveloped ENP -- MBTI theory states that the auxiliary perspective is refined around age 10-12, and Calvin fits that profile quite well -- Ti versus Fi is somewhat ambiguous, but he does seem to be developing into a Feeler.

Hobbes is probably an N, however (INTJ). He's every bit as abstract and Calvin, despite being more down to Earth, and is very good at predicting the moves of people around him. His favorite hobby appears to be fucking up Calvin's zany plans after determining how they're likely to conclude.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Teacher (Idyllic), ESE-IEI (Si-ESFj), SLue|I|, Sanguine-Melancholy
    Sage, True Neutral (Chaotic Good), Type III Anti-Hero
    Inventive > Artistic > Leisurely > Dramatic
    7w6 > 4w3 > 9w8, weakside sp/so

Dark Worker (Sacrificing)
    Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole

MBTI
    ENFP

I can see the reasoning for N and its definitely the letter i debated with myself the most over.

But i think Hobbes's thoughtfulness is not necessarily abstract. Think of that strip where calvin asks him, 'why do you think we're here', (big picture), and hobbes responds 'because we walked here' (details). And then calvin says, 'no i mean why is man here', (big picture), and hobbes responds, 'because earth can support life' (details).

Its such an S/N encounter.

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7

Calvin is very F-ish. He's reactive like one but on the other hand- he's just a kid- so T is reasonable.
    MBTI Type: iNTj
    Enneagram Type: 3w4 sp/sx

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 so/sx
    Socionics
    EII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Katsuni View Post
    Fi filters information based on interpretations of worth, forming judgments according to criteria that are often intangible. Fi constantly balances an internal set of values such as harmony and authenticity. Attuned to subtle distinctions, Fi innately senses what is true and what is false in a situation.

Ti seeks precision, such as the exact word to express an idea. It notices the minute distinctions that define the essence of things, then analyzes and classifies them. Ti examines all sides of an issue, looking to solve problems while minimizing effort and risk. It uses models to root out logical inconsistency.

Well he lives in such an imaginative world, that his grasp of 'true and false' is kind of lacking most of the time. I would argue this to mean it's unlikely he maintains much Fi.
    hold on - you're saying an NF is unlikely to build an imaginative world? i'm not trying to be an ass here, just pointing out how odd this sounds. and the wrong/right, true/false of Fi is not Wrong/Right, True/False... it's situational evaluation. what is appropriate/important or not given the circumstances.

for example, let's take throwing snowballs at cars. sounds like a calvin-y thing to do. not particularly nice, but not terrorizing, either. would i as an F do this? yes, probably, if i found it fun and fairly harmless. that's the part of the equation that's very much Fi and that i think is being misinterpreted here - Fi doesn't necessarily argue be a fluff bunny in every circumstance, it just pushes for evaluation. throwing a snowball at a car with an obnoxious kid blaring music is totally different from throwing one at a little old lady who's minding her own business. in the first case, that kid is harder to disturb because he is an obnoxious 20-something and he's already infringing upon others with the music, so it's not a big deal to hit him. it's "right" - not Right - just okay given the situation. but the grandma could get really startled and is being cute and quiet anyway, so why snowball her? that's "wrong".

Since he interprets things into the 'essence' of them, and breaks them into metaphors (his imagination) to better express them and understand such, as well as goes to great lengths to minimize effort (aliens ate my homework! Gravity reversed, I couldn't do anything!), and his models are all based off Ne, which means the logic he uses is consistent within his own imaginary world, I would suggest Ti is more likely than Fi as his secondary function.
    don't limit being a slacker to NTPs, lol

i think it's hard to type a 6 year old, especially in comics (admit it, NT is cruelty is funnier than NF idealism), and i haven't read much calvin and hobbes recently... but, since everyone's claiming calvin for their own type, i figure i'll put in one for ENFP

i can see calvin as a mischievous (not-very-developed Fi) ENFP - our Ne and Te can override Fi sometimes, making us not quite so moral as INFPs. but calvin seems more Fi than Ti to me, and spending all your time in an imaginary world is certainly NFPish. as for E, ENFPs can be plenty socially introverted. i am, and was. i was like the IFP kid profile way more than ENP... and do note that calvin makes up hobbes to be his companion. he really is not happy with internal stimulation alone. and he seems too generally naughty/willing to antagonize for the fun of it to be an INFP, yet not nearly logical/systems oriented enough to be an NTP... like someone said before, calvinball has no rules!

haha well now i've convinced myself

that was really just for fun though. debate it as you please.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Emectar View Post
    But i think Hobbes's thoughtfulness is not necessarily abstract. Think of that strip where calvin asks him, 'why do you think we're here', (big picture), and hobbes responds 'because we walked here' (details). And then calvin says, 'no i mean why is man here', (big picture), and hobbes responds, 'because earth can support life' (details).
    That was actually more Te than anything. Hobbes didn't feel like talking, so he gave Calvin the shortest answers he could think of to shut him the hell up.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

Hobbes is wise but not especially toughtfull. His opinions are outspoken and essentially based on value judgments. Plus he's fun, extroverted, warm and caring. I still think he's an extroverted feeler. I see an Fe/Fi opposition between him and Calvin. One defends cooperatives and responsive values, the other one defends an amoral and sefish subjectivity (Calvin is an immature and unhealthy INFP).*

Fro the parents
    The dad: ESTJ
    The mum: ISTJ
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

I'm convinced you live in an alternate universe where characters act differently than they do for the rest of us. Hobbes defends cooperative values? What the fuck?

Oh, and Calvin is an extrovert. Aside from the fact the kid is essentially Ne incarnate, he pretty much created Hobbes to keep him company. That screams "I need a friend," and ENFPs are often socially awkward.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksei View Post
    I'm convinced you live in an alternate universe where characters act differently than they do for the rest of us. Hobbes defends cooperative values? What the fuck?
    He values morality, and is often ofended by Calvin's selfishness. He has not inhibitions and he flirts very easily, your idea of INTJ of him is insane.

Oh, and Calvin is an extrovert. Aside from the fact the kid is essentially Ne incarnate, he pretty much created Hobbes to keep him company. That screams "I need a friend," and ENFPs are often socially awkward.
    Do you think extroverts who need a friend tend more to invent an imaginary friend or to seek for a friend outside? An extrovert who had just an imaginary friend would be a sad extrovert, i's also true for most part of introverts, sign that Calvin is an extreme introvert. Plus, he's not especially akward, he just a terrible compagny for most part of peoples.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Gavroche View Post
    Do you think extroverts who need a friend tend more to invent an imaginary friend or to seek for a friend outside?
    It's not uncommon for Ne-dominants to either find common people boring, or simply not be able to figure out a way to approach them. There's a reason ENTP and ENFP are the only extrovert types that are commonly found on the internet -- just take look around this site.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Aleksei View Post
    . Hobbes defends cooperative values? What the fuck?.

Example:

As a general rules, Hobbes is kind and peaceful, tough he can be very teaser sometimes, he's above all playful, and sometimes a bit critical and sarcastical, but in a minor way.
    It's not uncommon for Ne-dominants to either find common people boring, or simply not be able to figure out a way to approach them. There's a reason ENTP and ENFP are the only extrovert types that are commonly found on the internet -- just take look around this site.
    You don't proof anything.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%