First 45678 Last

Thread: Calvin & Hobbes

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

NTP for the father doesn't work with this strip, does it?

I think that one ^ makes it pretty obvious his dad isn't NTP.

Does this sound INFP for Calvin? It might, I'm not sure, maybe this is an INFP thing I haven't seen.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

^ The "as an audience part", not so much; but as a child, people saw me as being disinterested in people. My response would be "to study from a distance" or something very 5-ish like that.

I don't think he is 4w5 or 5w4. I think he is 4w3, which greatly explains the "audience" bit & his occasional acting out for attention. There are INFPs who like to perform as a creative outlet (hence INFP actors & musicians), even if interacting drains them.

Besides, characters, like people, will never be a 100% mirror of any type. Overall, his character suggests INFP more than anything, IMO.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    INTP

So, basically, Calvin's the type of whomever is currently posting? :-D Seriously, I don't know of anyone who likes the strip that doesn't say they were just like Calvin as a kid.
    Something Witty

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

I wasn't really (which is relevant because I was INFP as a kid).
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Teacher (Idyllic), ESE-IEI (Si-ESFj), SLue|I|, Sanguine-Melancholy
    Sage, True Neutral (Chaotic Good), Type III Anti-Hero
    Inventive > Artistic > Leisurely > Dramatic
    7w6 > 4w3 > 9w8, weakside sp/so

Dark Worker (Sacrificing)
    Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Yeah I wasnt like calvin as a kid and I love the strip.

MBTI
    NiTi
    Socionics
    EII

Quote Originally Posted by Tallulah View Post
    So, basically, Calvin's the type of whomever is currently posting? :-D Seriously, I don't know of anyone who likes the strip that doesn't say they were just like Calvin as a kid.
    I wasn't like Calvin, thought as to which of us isn't an infp I'm not sure, if not both.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    EII

I think that one ^ makes it pretty obvious his dad isn't NTP.
    On the contrary I think this makes Calvin's Dad a very clear INTP.
    r0wo1 the destroyer of threads has struck again...

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    3w4?

Calvin can't possibly be I in general, due to the need to express himself externally. Even though hobbes is an aspect of his own mind, as is most of his imagination scenes, the fact is that he expresses himself externally rather than internally in thought process.

Therefore, I is pretty much impossible.

He's definately E to begin with, most likely N due to understanding things as complex patterns intuitively rather than seeing whot's really there (N over S), his choices and thoughts are generally described through emotions, but he also puts alot of thought into emotional matters (albeit after translating them heavily through Ne into caricatures), so I'm 50/50 on whether he's F or T, since he shows tenancies of both when making decisions or thinking of things. The P is almost guaranteed; he has no desire for finality, nor order. Calvinball itself, his own game, has only one rule, that it can't be played the same way twice. That pretty much kills any belief in J.

So most likely, he's either an undeveloped ENTP, or an ENFP. The F seems more likely, but considering we're talking about an undeveloped child, ENTP's at that age tend to show more F signs early on, so it's hard to be certain.

Either way, Ne is his primary function definitely, regardless.

This brings us to the matter... Ti or Fi?

Fi filters information based on interpretations of worth, forming judgments according to criteria that are often intangible. Fi constantly balances an internal set of values such as harmony and authenticity. Attuned to subtle distinctions, Fi innately senses what is true and what is false in a situation.

Ti seeks precision, such as the exact word to express an idea. It notices the minute distinctions that define the essence of things, then analyzes and classifies them. Ti examines all sides of an issue, looking to solve problems while minimizing effort and risk. It uses models to root out logical inconsistency.

Well he lives in such an imaginative world, that his grasp of 'true and false' is kind of lacking most of the time. I would argue this to mean it's unlikely he maintains much Fi.

Since he interprets things into the 'essence' of them, and breaks them into metaphors (his imagination) to better express them and understand such, as well as goes to great lengths to minimize effort (aliens ate my homework! Gravity reversed, I couldn't do anything!), and his models are all based off Ne, which means the logic he uses is consistent within his own imaginary world, I would suggest Ti is more likely than Fi as his secondary function.

This would imply he's probably just an undeveloped ENTP being mistaken for a mature ENFP.

MBTI
    ENFP

I think hes an undeveloped ENFP. Im not gonna say i was anything like calvin when i was younger because thats a pretty frightening thought but i can relate completely to the fact that he came off as a thinker. I think, in the process of feeling rejected by a world he wanted to be included in he outwardly put on a thinker appearance.

MBTI
    ENFP

and Hobbes i think is an ISTJ. First of all, their relationship fits very well when they are opposites. Each is everything the others not, and it can be complimentary even as it leads to constant disagreements.

Hobbes is clearly an introvert. He spends all of his time alone or with Calvin and he is very self contained in an introverty way.

I also think he is an S, something highlighted most when Calvin tries to have his existential conversations with him and gets the grounded, concrete type answers he is isnt looking for.

I also think hobbes is a T. He is great at not getting carried away when Calvin is, and the affection he shows Calvin comes off as very ISTJish to me. Sweet in a calm, peaceful sort of way.

I also think he is a J. His organization in perfect contrast to calvins mindblowingly powerful procrastination.