First 34567 Last

Thread: Calvin & Hobbes

Whisky Old & Women Young Speed Gavroche's Avatar
    MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by BlackCat View Post
    Hobbes always came off as an ESFJ to me, but good analysis.
    Yes, ESFJ, there's defenitely a relation of supervision between him and Calvin. And also between Calvin and Susie (INFP-ENTJ). Susie is the Hobbes's Super-Ego (ESFJ-ENTJ).

Fe all the way. he's a little tyrant. there's nothing dreamy about him (which seems un-ifp child). he wants what he wants when he wants it. nor does he seem like an individual self-contained Fi type. he wants attention. he's a self-contained imagination, but he needs enthusiasm--to share enthusiasm--with hobbes. hobbes gets him going.
    I think Calvin is a 5w4 Sx/So and that is why is can be so much assertive, impulsive, unfocused and asking for attention by hitting on peoples. But I don't think he's an INFJ, he's very impulsive and without any constancy. Sounds P for me.
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"I don't believe in guilt, I only believe in living on impulses"

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Gavroche View Post
    Yes, ESFJ, there's defenitely a relation of supervision between him and Calvin. And also between Calvin and Susie (INFP-ENTJ). Susie is the Hobbes's Super-Ego (ESFJ-ENTJ).

I think Calvin is a 5w4 Sx/So and that is why is can be so much assertive, impulsive, unfocused and asking for attention by hitting on peoples. But I don't think he's an INFJ, he's very impulsive and without any constancy. Sounds P for me.
    this sounds like sx more than it sounds like j vs p. p dom Ji types have more internal constancy than j dom Pi types. there's little truth grounding me to my world; instead, there's what i see internally, the way i've modeled the world, which is fluid, ever-changing, and almost completely abstracted (even more so than language).

i also don't think the second instinct develops at all until well after the age of 6. the sx is no doubt--responsible for all the little tyrants of the world (whom jesus loves, i'm sure).

he's also assertive with his mom, dad, and his imaginary friend hobbes. i wasn't assertive when i was young, but my mom jokes about how when i was young, she would get clammy hands when a neighbor kid would come over bc i might not share any of my toys or start bossing someone around.

it wasn't until about 6th grade when Fe started kicking in that i started feeling pressure to act a certain way, becoming more aware of how others perceived me, and withdrawing more as a result (common for quiet, vague-in-communication but imaginative infj kids). i'm not sure what effect Ne kicking in for infp adolescents has, if it makes them more aware of their introversion, and more drawn to it, or less. the write-up of ifp kids is usually gentle and dreamy (unless they have tense childhoods).

tho i'll admit i don't know many infp sx doms. which might be a good thread...

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

Why not, Calvin could be INFJ, but I still skeptical about this, seriously. But I can totally admit that you were calvinish as a child.

For the story of the development of the second instincts, I remember about some So manifestations from 4 years old, but maybe I was a little precocious, er...actually, I was.

tho i'll admit i don't know many infp sx doms. which might be a good thread...
    Are'nt Kurt Kobain and Marlon Brando Sx, for example?
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

"Stereotypes about personality and gender turn out to be fairly accurate: ... On the binary Myers-Briggs measure, the thinking-feeling breakdown is about 30/70 for women versus 60/40 for men." ~ Bryan Caplan

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Speed Gavroche View Post
    Why not, Calvin could be INFJ, but I still skeptical about this, seriously. But I can totally admit that you were calvinish as a child.

For the story of the development of the second instincts, I remember about some So manifestations from 4 years old, but maybe I was a little precocious, er...actually, I was.

Are'nt Kurt Kobain and Marlon Brando Sx, for example?
    yeah, i think they are

MBTI
    EsTP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/sp

Hum... I'm trying to illustrate each wing and instinctuals variants of the 4:

4w3 Sp/So= Buffy from Buffy the Vampire Slayer, ESFP
    4w5 Sp/So= Fyodor Dostoevsky, INFP

4w3 So/Sp= Hayley Williams, ENFJ
    4w5 So/Sp= William Faulkner, INFJ

4w3 Sp/Sx= ?
    4w5 Sp/Sx= ?

4w3 Sx/Sp=
    4w5 Sx/SP= Kurt Cobain (INFP), Marlon Brando (INFJ), Jeff Buckley (INFJ)

4w3 So/Sx= Michael Jackson, ISFP
    4w5 So/Sx= ?

4w3 Sx/So= Gwen Stefani, Lady Gaga, ENFPs both
    4w5 Sx/So= Heath Ledger, ISFP
    EsTP 6w7 Sx/Sp

Chaotic Neutral

E=60% S=55% T=70% P=80%

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    EII

Harry is an ESTP? I had always thought of him as being very ISFX myself... oh well, off topic ^^.
    r0wo1 the destroyer of threads has struck again...

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

Quote Originally Posted by r0wo1 View Post
    Harry is an ESTP? I had always thought of him as being very ISFX myself... oh well, off topic ^^.
    For some reason most people see him as an ISFP, but I really think he's a clear ESTP. He never shuns social contact unless extremely distressed (He still seeks support from Ron and Hermione then), and he's very clear-headed. Book four is a clear testament to his extroversion, documenting Harry's trouble dealing with becoming a public enemy (which happens to him often) without Ron's support.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Teacher (Idyllic), ESE-IEI (Si-ESFj), SLue|I|, Sanguine-Melancholy
    Sage, True Neutral (Chaotic Good), Type III Anti-Hero
    Inventive > Artistic > Leisurely > Dramatic
    7w6 > 4w3 > 9w8, weakside sp/so

Dark Worker (Sacrificing)
    Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    EII

Though I do understand the f/p arguments, he is quite emotional especially throughout the last three books, and continually acts irrationally based on his emotions as opposed to logic (ie going after Sirius randomly in the department of secrets and dragging members of the DA along with him.)

Dunno, I can see how both cases apply, and I think he flip flops a bit.
    r0wo1 the destroyer of threads has struck again...

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti

F/T is iffy yeah, but he's a definite extrovert.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Teacher (Idyllic), ESE-IEI (Si-ESFj), SLue|I|, Sanguine-Melancholy
    Sage, True Neutral (Chaotic Good), Type III Anti-Hero
    Inventive > Artistic > Leisurely > Dramatic
    7w6 > 4w3 > 9w8, weakside sp/so

Dark Worker (Sacrificing)
    Freewheeling Designer

Hayekian Asshole

MBTI
    NiTi
    Socionics
    EII

Calvin-INFP. Imaginative, Imaginary friends (aren't INFP's known for that...yeah I know Hobbes is real, but from an outside point of view he is imaginary), inconsistent and a strong use of extraverted intuition. Calvinball is a game designed for those who use Ne and Calvin invented such a game. ENFP? NTP? Calvin is an F. He takes things personally and in the comics as shown earlier in this thread his introverted feeling shows up a lot from time to time. Ever read the comic where Calvin talks to Hobbes about how they will always have each other in their dreams?

At Calvin's core, he is a small boy who desires a companion to go with him an his adventures. He might be a huge task for his parents, but there are several comics which show his NF potential (most specifically the ones of him interacting with his parents in a loving way, with the racoon, tender ones with hobbes) He is an introvert who doesn't know how to interact with other kids in a normal way by his fear of rejection especially when you see that no one really understands him.

Also, Calvin has a huge desire for forming his identity. He is spaceman spiff, stupendous man, dinosaurs, a jet pilot, etc.....he frequently changes his identity and forges it as to how he is feeling from situation to situation as a means of discovering who he is. If Hobbes is imaginary, he does the same thing through Hobbes as well.

Calvin creates/has Hobbes who is a compliment for him. Someone who understands him, plays with him, and has a different enough personality to challenge Calvin. Speaking of which:
    Hobbes: EXXJ: I can't quite decide if Hobbes is sensing (loves curling up by the fear, living for the here and now) or intuitive (understands theories like calvin, equal imagination as Calvin) nor can I decide if he is a thinker or feeler.
    Part of me wants to say he is an ESTJ more so of being Calvin's shadow where Calvin has the parts of his personality that are their weakest manifest in Hobbes.
    I'm sure there will be a disagreement, but what are your thoughts?

Dad:ENTP
    MomESFJ?