• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Lie to Me & The Mentalist (All characters)

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Lie to Me

Cal- ISTP
Gillian- xxTJ
Loker- xSTJ
Ria- ESxP
Reynolds- ESTP

The Mentalist

Jane- INFx (Fake psychic Jane was ENTP)
Lisbon- ESTJ (She enables Jane because she has a thing for him)
Cho- xSTP
Rigsby- ESTP
Van Pelt- ISFJ
Minelli- ESTJ

R

Riva

Cal- ISTj

ISTJs are the kings of observational skills. ISTP would be good at it if they find it interesting and useful. On the otherhand ISTJs are naturally observant (Si). They just are.

R

Riva

ISTP Vs ISTJ (Sherlock Holmes Vs Cal Lightman)

Both are brilliant detectives. But they have such different ways of solving cases.

Sherlock Holmes would use Ti -
Ti would take things apart and figure out how it works or how it happened.

Cal would use Si -
Si would store data and information, then compare and contrast the current situation with a similar one. This is what Cal does. He has gone around the world. To 100s of countries meeting thousands of people. He compares what he has studied (learned) with what he sees.

ISTP Vs ISTJ.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I actually think Cal may be INTP. He trained himself to be observant after his mother's suicide.

R

Riva

I actually think Cal may be INTP. He trained himself to be observant after his mother's suicide.

Anyway he has such a simple way of life. He does not think too much. Does not tend to introspect (N types). He is more much more observant than introspective. these are S type characteristics.

He has very well developed Si for sure.

------

For him micro expressions explains everything. He uses that to the best of his abilities and does not seem to give too much thought in to learning new skills. Has struck gold with M expressions. Again that is very much an S type characteristic.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Anyway he has such a simple way of life. He does not think too much. Does not tend to introspect (N types). He is more much more observant than introspective. these are S type characteristics.

He has very well developed Si for sure.

What do you mean he doesn't think? He plots a lot. Reminds me of House (ENTP) but he doesn't require others so much (and is more mature).

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Again, he's not a "natural" at reading people. He studied it for years while developing his theories. Unlike whatshername he recruited that does it without training.

R

Riva

What do you mean he doesn't think? He plots a lot. Reminds me of House (ENTP) but he doesn't require others so much (and is more mature).

S types can plot. Doesn't take a genius to do that if you have been working in that kind of field for such a long time. And I think he has been in it for around 20 years.

What I meant by not think too much is, he doesn't seem to contemplate like all those lousy;) INTPs do. ;)

R

Riva

Again, he's not a "natural" at reading people. He studied it for years while developing his theories. Unlike whatshername he recruited that does it without training.

The skills he went around acquiring are not the type of skills people do using card. I think he went around the world to confirm his theory on Micro expressions. Not that it took him so long to figure it out. The mothers death serves as a reason why the main character is so obsessed with finding the truth. He is naturally an aloof, cold person. Not the type who would be obsessed with finding the truth to help people. It's just a character development to justify his obsession.

And ISTJs are not naturally in to observing the facial expressions on people as to how they feel. But Cal is. The reason is the mother's video. His mother's video showed him what he missed all his life. Reading people's faces to read their emotions. Then naturally as a ISTJ he started expanding on his observations.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Cal- ISTj

ISTJs are the kings of observational skills. ISTP would be good at it if they find it interesting and useful. On the otherhand ISTJs are naturally observant (Si). They just are.
Cal seems to find microexpressions quite useful (And really, who wouldn't?). I just think he's too much of a loose cannon -- I don't buy J.

Oh, and Sherlock Holmes is an N, like House is. He takes out of place details and quickly ties them into a greater picture.

R

Riva

Cal seems to find microexpressions quite useful (And really, who wouldn't?). I just think he's too much of a loose cannon -- I don't buy J.
Okay.

Oh, and Sherlock Holmes is an N, like House is. He takes out of place details and quickly ties them into a greater picture.
I must admit. I can't argue too much against that. But it could be his tertiary Ni. Ti breaks down and analyzes. Ni connects the dots. Se acts as a observational tool.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Alright then I don't think he is, I know he's too much of a fucking loose cannon. Remember his reaction when he found out Reynolds killed a guy while undercover? he filmed Reynolds confessing to the fact, then deleted the fucking tape, thereby making himself an accessory in order to then help clear Reynolds' name. ISTJs don't do stuff that ballsy. They just don't.

BlueGray

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
Cal could be INTP. He definitely has Si. He doesn't seem to use Te though. I got the feeling he uses his observations to support previously created theories. This would be Ti. I'm still uncertain but ISTJ and INTP seem equally likely to me.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I don't see evidence to Cal actually forming up theories before using microexpressions to confirm them -- he's even hesitant to tie up a grand conclusion after reading people, he just catches the tells and goes on them.