• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Well-Known Fictional 'S' Characters

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
:happy2:

So when a character or person exhibits sensing in one of these movies (or in real life), it's almost like an intuition, but based on a deep experiential knowledge of a system?

How about this.. we all use intution and sensing. So in each case maybe one just feeds the other?.. An S will use his/hers senses to make sense of what he/she is intuiting.. an N will get a feeling and then look for physical clues to confrim what they feel.
SO.. an S will pick up signals and then will intuit someone is lying.. an N will intuit someone is lying and then look for signals to confirm it.

gromit

likes this
How about this.. we all use intution and sensing. So in each case maybe one just feeds the other?.. An S will use his/hers senses to make sense of what he/she is intuiting.. an N will get a feeling and then look for physical clues to confrim what they feel.
SO.. an S will pick up signals and then will intuit someone is lying.. an N will intuit someone is lying and then look for signals to confirm it.

Sense-user goes from information to more information to conclusion, while intuition-user goes from information to conclusion to more information (to confirm it)?

If this is a true statement on my part, what is an example of a well-known character doing this? Like I said, it will help me to understand it better if it's connected to a person/character.

Last edited:

Arclight

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
6w5
Sense-user goes from information to more information to conclusion, while intuition-user goes from information to conclusion to more information (to confirm it)?

If this is a true statement on my part, what is an example of a well-known character doing this? Like I said, it will help me to understand it better if it's connected to a person/character.

Yes..the example of lying is a good one..
Remember we use all 8 functions and they feed each other.
A sensor needs clues to trigger their intution to come to a conclusion.. An intuiter needs clues to confirm their intution to come to a conclusion.
So yeah what you are saying is correct in the way I understand it anyway.

Ever watch the show "Lie to me"?? This guy is a sensor with intution..
He doesn't just "know" people are lying.. he reads visible cues and then intuits what is going on.
His female partner seems to be more intuitive and will know someone is lying and then she reads the cues to confirm what she felt all along.( Incedently she has been wrong a few times because she trusts her intuition a little too much)
If you have never watched this show.. check it out.. It's brilliant

Or a great example.. The X Files.. Mulder the N with Scully the S.. watch how they come to conclusions about stuff.
Mulder is not a true decetive .. but rather man who follows his hunches and then seeks evidence to back it up. Scully is all about the facts and once she has the facts she can then use her intution to draw conclusions.
Of course I might just be crazy.. and I am sure a few people who love to type everyone as an N will start telling me Scully is an INTP/J.. But really she is not .. most detecives aren't Ns..
people forget that we use all 8 functions and she uses N .. but is not an N dom

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
excellent- you described what I was having difficulties describing... for once I was finger tied- I seriously started a reply about 10 different times, was unsatisfied and clicked elsewhere :blush:

Jeffster

veteran attention whore
MBTI Type
ESFP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx
Homer Simpson, Indiana Jones, Stifler, Superman, Seinfeld, Sam Malone, Woody Boyd, Carla Tortelli, Cliff Clavin, Norm Peterson, Bart Simpson, Marge Simpson, Ned Flanders, Waylon Smithers, Krusty the Clown, Brennan and Dale, Ricky Bobby, Chip, Monterey Jack, Scrooge McDuck, Donald Duck, Larry the Cable Guy, Kickboxer, The Ladies Man, Duece Bigalow, Mr. Deeds, Billy Madison, Happy Gilmore, Lucy Van Pelt, Pigpen, Reverend Lovejoy, Helen Lovejoy, Maude Flanders, Fry, Bender, Amy, Roger Rabbit, Jessica Rabbit, Minnie Mouse, Yogi Bear, Fred Flintstone, Barney Rubble, Betty Rubble, Pebbles Flintstone, Jane Jetson, Judy Jetson, Bright Abbott, Hawkeye Pierce, The Fonz, James Bond, Austin Powers, Roy Fokker, Lynn Minmei, Ben Dixon, Max Sterling, Miriya Sterling, Dana Sterling, Rand, Rook Bartley, Lunk, Annie, Optimus Prime, Ironhide, Bumblebee, Soundwave, Shockwave, Ratchet, Haru, Tommy, Mike Donnelly, Jules Winnfield, Oskar Schindler, Samwise Gamgee, Forrest Gump, King Arthur, Marty McFly, Biff Tannen, Carl Fredricksen, Amadeus Mozart, Gunnery Sergeant Hartman, William Wallace, John McClane, Dorothy, Cowardly Lion, The Dude, Simba, Timon, Pumbaa, Nemo, Marlin, Crush, Captain Kirk, Doctor McCoy, William Riker, Worf, Inigo Montoya, Wesley, Fezzig, Peter Venkman, Rocky Balboa, Spartacus, Scooby Doo, Shaggy, Fred, Daphne, Mr. Crabs, Patrick, Carly Shay, Sam Puckett, Ian Chesterton, Steven Taylor, Dodo Chaplet, Ben Jackson, Polly, Jamie McCrimmon, Victoria Waterfield, Leela, Tegan Jovanka, Nyssa, Vislor Turlough, Peri Brown, Melanie Bush, Ace, Rayanne Graff, Jordan Catalano, Joey Russo, Six, Cliff Huxtable, Theo Huxtable, Rudy Huxtable, Harry Stone, Dan Fielding, Mac Robinson, Bull Shannon, Martin Crane, Roz Doyle, Klinger, Radar O'Reilly, Mike Donovan, Hank Hill, Boomhauer, Luann Platter, Paul Blart.

There's a few to get you started.

gromit

likes this
Okay, so now I have another question. Somehow this description of sensing vs. intuition seems a lot like perceiving vs. judging. How is it different?

gromit

likes this
Do you know Harry Potter? I was watching a bit of the sixth film in the series last night, specifically the scene where the girl touches the neclace and gets cursed by it, and the he and Ron/Hermione get called in to talk to Professors McGonnagel and Snape about what happened. At the end of the scene, HP blurts out that Malfoy gave her the necklace. When asked how he knows that, he replies "I just do." Obviously he has a bias (i.e. dislikes Malfoy tremendously), but he has also noticed Malfoy acting very suspiciously. So I would say that he is using his intuition more, but instead of going for more information to confirm, he just goes straight for the conclusion.

What would he have done if he had been exhibiting sensing as the more dominant function in this situation?

Okay, so now I have another question. Somehow this description of sensing vs. intuition seems a lot like perceiving vs. judging. How is it different?

Is the difference between S/N and P/J that S/N is used in forming conclusions and that P/J is used more in making decisions? Or am I totally missing the point here?

gromit

likes this
Thanks Speed Gavroche and Jeffster!

Do you know Harry Potter? I was watching a bit of the sixth film in the series last night, specifically the scene where the girl touches the neclace and gets cursed by it, and the he and Ron/Hermione get called in to talk to Professors McGonnagel and Snape about what happened. At the end of the scene, HP blurts out that Malfoy gave her the necklace. When asked how he knows that, he replies "I just do." Obviously he has a bias (i.e. dislikes Malfoy tremendously), but he has also noticed Malfoy acting very suspiciously. So I would say that he is using his intuition more, but instead of going for more information to confirm, he just goes straight for the conclusion.

What would he have done if he had been exhibiting sensing as the more dominant function in this situation?

Ok... trying to do an S example...

I am thinking of characters like Aragorn or Legolas from the Lord of the Rings movies/books... those seem like solid examples of using Se to me. Like when they are following those 2 hobbits who got kidnapped and they're scanning the environment for all of these clues and coming to conclusions based off of the clues.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
whatever she is I don't want her to be of my category :tongue: