• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Firefly characters

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
You telling me an S cannot pull it off? Common, that's ignorant. SP is the "tactician" personality (look it up), and an SJ with a military background could easily be capable of something like that as well.
An S could plan a heist, yes, though likely more poorly than an N would - an S could not have the sheer forethought that Mal and Wash display, though.

Note, also, that they fit their respective type's functions exceedingly well -- Wash especially. He could literally fit nothing more than Ne Fi Te. His Te is too prominent to be inferior (His first comments on Simon's plan were nitpicking for efficiency, but Simon, being an Ni Te on crack, had ironed it out already), and he shows little to no Ni.

Yeah I don't know about that. Joking isn't a type as far as Myers Briggs is concerned. Neither is being polite. Hannibal Lecter was an INTJ and he was very polite.
Well, yes -- My argument is that his behavior can be associated with ISFJ because he's polite, but he isn't an ISFJ. You're not contradicting me at all.

How is that an INTJ quote? He was reminding Mal that evil deeds lead to damnation. If that's not an NFJ thing to say, then I don't know what is.
Are you shitting me? Read the end of that line again. He was clearly not taking himself too seriously. To me, that sounded like he was messing with Mal's head for fun, and doing so in a way that reinforces his cover.

Well the whole character of Shepard Book is that he held a secret - and it is implied in the series that the secret is that he was a high ranking officer in the Alliance, maybe even a former "Operative". So combat wasn't an alien concept to him.
Precisely. An INFJ operative?

Particularity may be an indication of J-ness, but it is not by all means a conclusive one. She was a professional, and professionals do things in a professional (i.e. particular) way.
Yes. Judgers act professionally. Perceivers do not. Mal does not and neither do I, for example. ;)

Also from what I recall, she seemed to stay out of the affairs of the crew, unless it was clear that they couldn't handle it without her help.
J =/= getting involved in the business of others. She was very decisive when it came to her own job; she just didn't care much for Mal's. ;)

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
You guys really think an ISFJ wouldn't kill somebody as quick as blinking if they believed their 'cub' was in real danger?

And just because an NFJ is being polite and a little funny doesn't mean they don't mean it or that they won't get you. Believe me, you'd much rather be at my INTP husband's mercy than at mine if you did something despicable, especially to someone I felt protective of.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Simon is INTJ, not INFJ.

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
An S could plan a heist, yes, though likely more poorly than an N would - an S could not have the sheer forethought that Mal and Wash display, though.

Dude that is ridiculous. One of the best generals in history were SPs: Rommel, Patton, Stonewall Jackson, etc. I wouldn't be surprised that most successful bank heists are orchestrated by SPs.

General Lee was likely an SJ, and he was kicking Union ass all over the place before the South finally succumbed to the war of attrition.

You are falling into the biggest faux pas of Myers Briggs, which is associating general intelligence with type.

Different types have different strengths (strategy, tactics, diplomacy, logistics), but they are not completely impotent in other areas. For example, I am right handed and Lennox Lewis is left handed, but his left hand is still stronger than my right one. See what I'm getting at?

Are you shitting me? Read the end of that line again. He was clearly not taking himself too seriously. To me, that sounded like he was messing with Mal's head for fun, and doing so in a way that reinforces his cover.

It's called "tact". You don't go around passing moral judgment on your captain without a bit of diplomacy.

Precisely. An INFJ operative?

What is your point? An NF cannot be a dedicated believer who is willing to use any means necessary to protect his beliefs?

If anything, an NF is more likely to be an Operative than an NT, because the whole job of an Operative was "protect secrets at any cost, but do not ask what those secrets are". NTs usually want to know what they are protecting, and why. NTs are utilitarian and NFs are cooperative, hence NFs are more likely to accept other person's idea of what "the greater good" is.

Yes. Judgers act professionally. Perceivers do not. Mal does not and neither do I, for example. ;)

Yes, because every Perciever is a klutz, every SJ is an old fashioned retard, and every NT is a strategic genius.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Dude that is ridiculous. One of the best generals in history were SPs: Rommel, Patton, Stonewall Jackson, etc. I wouldn't be surprised that most successful bank heists are orchestrated by SPs.
Most bank heists period are orchestrated by SPs, because SPs are more reckless than NTs. I would wager however, that in terms of the level of success of a given heist (as in getting away from the cops, etc.) heists planned by NTJs and INTPs are much more successful than heists planned by SPs.

This is nitpicking, however. You are ignoring the meat of my argument, which is that:

1. Mal and Wash display forethought and originality in making plans, neither of which Sensors possess.
2. Their cognitive functions line up perfectly with ENTP and ENFP. Mal is clearly Ti-aux and Fe-tertiary, and Wash is clearly Fi-aux and Te-tertiary.

You are falling into the biggest faux pas of Myers Briggs, which is associating general intelligence with type.

Different types have different strengths (strategy, tactics, diplomacy, logistics), but they are not completely impotent in other areas. For example, I am right handed and Lennox Lewis is left handed, but his left hand is still stronger than my right one. See what I'm getting at?
See -- Thing is that type is correlated to general intelligence. Statistical evidence exists to that fact. Now, because that doesn't mean all SPs are dumb or all NTs are smart (Standard distribution and all that jazz), I would not and didn't use that as a justification for my defense of Wash and Mal being N. I don't need to.

It's called "tact". You don't go around passing moral judgment on your captain without a bit of diplomacy.
Book isn't part of the crew.

What is your point? An NF cannot be a dedicated believer who is willing to use any means necessary to protect his beliefs?

If anything, an NF is more likely to be an Operative than an NT, because the whole job of an Operative was "protect secrets at any cost, but do not ask what those secrets are". NTs usually want to know what they are protecting, and why. NTs are utilitarian and NFs are cooperative, hence NFs are more likely to accept other person's idea of what "the greater good" is.
Which might explain Book getting out? I dunno. Remember, he was an Operative, past tense. He isn't anymore.

Yes, because every Perciever is a klutz, every SJ is an old fashioned retard, and every NT is a strategic genius.
Most Perceivers are klutzes and most SJs are old-fashioned retards, yes. It fits their cognitive preferences. NTs are not all strategic geniuses, because strategy is not at all an NTP forte, it's an NTJ thing. We suck at it.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Simon is INTJ, not INFJ.
If you're saying he's not an ISFJ because he ruthlessly protects his sister, I don't think that's a good reason.

And the NFJ thing I was talking about was Book.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If you're saying he's not an ISFJ because he ruthlessly protects his sister, I don't think that's a good reason.
It's not and I didn't. I said he's not an ISFJ because he is a ruthless and creative planner. Seen Ariel?

Edgar

Nerd King Usurper
MBTI Type
INTJ
Instinctual Variant
sx
See -- Thing is that type is correlated to general intelligence. Statistical evidence exists to that fact.

Don't tell me you believe that a 5 point variation on standardized IQ test is an accurate reflection of one's intelligence.

Most IQ tests measure a minutia of overall human intelligence, and are conducted in a way that is receptive to certain types more than the others. For example, I would guess that an ISTJ kid is a lot more likely to sit still and read every question diligently for 2 hours than an ESFP kid.

Book isn't part of the crew.

Everyone on that ship became part of the crew - that's kind of the whole point of the series.

And even if you are just a passenger on the ship, when you chastise the captain you risk getting your ass thrown off of it.

Which might explain Book getting out? I dunno. Remember, he was an Operative, past tense. He isn't anymore.

Would you say that it is possible that as an NF he got tired of killing people and became a preacher as an act of repentance?

Most Perceivers are klutzes and most SJs are old-fashioned retards, yes. It fits their cognitive preferences. NTs are not all strategic geniuses, because strategy is not at all an NTP forte, it's an NTJ thing. We suck at it.

Strategic thinking is the dominant type of intelligence for an NT (read some Keirsey).

If you, as an NT, suck at it... well then, I'm sorry to say you don't have a lot going for yourself.

Benny

MBTI Type
ISTP
Enneagram
8w7
Ok, Edgar's post was bad, but this is just batshit retarded. Mal is not an E or an S, Jayne is not an E, Kaylee is not an I, and River is not a possible S. And all of this is painfully obvious.

I already explained Mal: The guy's cracking jokes all the time and never asks for time alone to recharge. And an S would just not be as creative and clever as he is.

Jayne is clearly, clearly an ISTP, and how you got E is completely beyond me. The guy flat-out loathes talking to people, and acts dismissively towards people that attempt it. Kaylee is, likewise, not at all fond of alone time. She was having the time of her life in Shindig, if you'll remember.

River is a clear INTP. Trying to fix the Bible is evidence of Ti Ne on crack.

Book is also quite definitely an N, and seems I rather than E. He keeps to himself most of the time, and he's very creative (the fucker figured out a way around the First Commandment in War Stories).

Calm down buddy. I hadn''t seen that many episodes. I've watched more now. I could see Jayne being an ISTP. He's kind of outspoken which I usually associate with E's, but you're right he's not the sociable type at all. Also, I thought Mal was ISTP, and well there's no way they're the same type. Now I'll go with ISTJ for Mal. If you look at interaction styles alone you can see he's no ENTP. He's responsive and directing. Edgar seems to have the other characters figured out pretty well.

ZPowers

MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w4
River is a clear INTP. Trying to fix the Bible is evidence of Ti Ne on crack.

My spiel on the story of Adam and Eve alone goes on a solid fifteen minutes.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Don't tell me you believe that a 5 point variation on standardized IQ test is an accurate reflection of one's intelligence.

Most IQ tests measure a minutia of overall human intelligence, and are conducted in a way that is receptive to certain types more than the others. For example, I would guess that an ISTJ kid is a lot more likely to sit still and read every question diligently for 2 hours than an ESFP kid.
This is completely tangential to the subject matter, so I'll just leave it alone. I'm gonna assume you agree with Mal- ENTP and Wash- ENFP, since you have posed no real refutation for it, and move on.

Everyone on that ship became part of the crew - that's kind of the whole point of the series.

And even if you are just a passenger on the ship, when you chastise the captain you risk getting your ass thrown off of it.

Would you say that it is possible that as an NF he got tired of killing people and became a preacher as an act of repentance?
That is possible yes.

Strategic thinking is the dominant type of intelligence for an NT (read some Keirsey).

If you, as an NT, suck at it... well then, I'm sorry to say you don't have a lot going for yourself.
No no no, conceptual thinking is the dominant type of intelligence for an NT. In NTPs this manifests itself in the form of innovation (which I'm very good at) rather than vision. Strategic thinking is Ni domain.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Now I'll go with ISTJ for Mal. If you look at interaction styles alone you can see he's no ENTP. He's responsive and directing.
He is sociable as fuck, and he isn't any sort of S. He displays a very consistent knack for foresight, improvisation and originality. I'd sooner guess ENTJ than ISTJ, but he really isn't a Judger, as for all his foresight he has no grand vision. As he himself said in Serenity, he "ain't got no rudder. Wind blows Northerly, [he goes] North." He doesn't plan more than a few hours in advance.

So, no, ISTJ is even more off the mark than ISTP.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
One additional note: Mal gives off bossy and decisive J vibes, but that's not how the character was written. Mal appears bossy because Mal is played by Nathan Fillion, who is an ENTJ and completely incapable of playing anyone other than Nathan Fillion. You might notice that, in conflict to Fillion's directive aura, Mal lets things slide instantly.

cafe

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Are there interviews with Nathan Filion that show the ENTJ thing you can point me to? In the interviews I've seen I can't believe the contrast between the characters he plays and the almost girly man in the interviews.

Exodus

MBTI Type
NeTi
Captain Malcolm Reynolds - ENTP
Zoe Alleyne Washbourne - ISTJ
Hoban Washbourne - ENFP
Inara Serra - INFJ
Jayne Cobb - ISTP
Kaywinnit Lee Fry - ESFP
Dr. Simon Tam - INTJ
River Tam - INTP
Shepherd Derrial Book - ISFJ

Mal is without a doubt a ENTP, you have to look at all his attributes and qualities as a whole.
His Ego-
His Stubborness-
His Humor-
His ability to improvise
His Wit
His knack for debate
His near constant one-upmanship
His quirky sentimental loyalties - Dont mistake these for being a F type. They are very personal. He feels humiliated by the alliance, and therefor goes out of his way to hurt them when possible. He protects his crew, because he believes that was what made the brown coats "better" than the alliance.
It is not because he is showing he cares for others, its really quite selfish.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Those could also be tertiary Fe coming out. ENTPs are quite sympathetic, but in a weird, dysfunctional way.

chihuahuasrluv

MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
4w3
Hoban Washbourne - ENFP
Inara Serra - INFJ
Jayne Cobb - ISTP
Kaywinnit Lee Fry - ESFP
Dr. Simon Tam - INTJ
River Tam - INTP
Shepherd Derrial Book - ISFJ

Mal is without a doubt a ENTP, you have to look at all his attributes and qualities as a whole.
His Ego-
His Stubborness-
His Humor-
His ability to improvise
His Wit
His knack for debate
His near constant one-upmanship
His quirky sentimental loyalties - Dont mistake these for being a F type. They are very personal. He feels humiliated by the alliance, and therefor goes out of his way to hurt them when possible. He protects his crew, because he believes that was what made the brown coats "better" than the alliance.
It is not because he is showing he cares for others, its really quite selfish.

I can see this. In the movie River seemed like an unhealthy INFP . I do believe young River was an INTP. Simon is so INTJ to me it isn't even funny.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Pretty much my take. Although I don't think Simon is extremely INTJ -- He's a stuffy, ISTJ-ish INTJ.

Edasich

Enneagram
4w5
Simon's humour definitely reminded me of the INTJ peeps i know. I lurrrrrve dry humour!

Jayne cracked me up the most tho.

Sunny Ghost

I've seen threads for typing the crew of the Serenity on other MBTI forums, but none on here. So, without further ado, here are my guesses:

Hoban Washbourne - ENFP
Inara Serra - ENFJ
Jayne Cobb - ISTP
Kaywinnit Lee Fry - ExFP (probably ESFP)
Dr. Simon Tam - INTJ
River Tam - a mentally disturbed INTP
Shepherd Derrial Book - he's quite clearly hiding something, but the image he projects is one of an INFJ

I think Captain Reynolds is an ISTJ, personally. He always reminded me of my ISTJ roommate.
I think INFJ/INFP is more fitting for Inara. Remember, INFJ is another of those introverted types that come off extroverted simply because they are good with people.
I'm not sure about Jayne.... he doesn't seem smart enough to be a thinker... though I'd hate to put him in the ISFP group with me. Haha.
Kaylee is ISFP or ISTP like to me. Quiet, reserved, but bubbly and good with her hands.
River Tam-yes, a disturbed INTP or an INTJ.
Simon... hrm... Introvert... but the s/n is a little hard to pick out in him. He's smart... but caring... so is he more rational or emotional? I think he's definitely a J. I think he might be either an INFJ/INFP.
Sheppard... INFJ.
Hoban might very well be the only extrovert. ESTP?