User Tag List

First 1234513 Last

Results 21 to 30 of 144

  1. #21
    Yeah, I can fly. Aleksei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti
    Posts
    3,644

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    You telling me an S cannot pull it off? Common, that's ignorant. SP is the "tactician" personality (look it up), and an SJ with a military background could easily be capable of something like that as well.
    An S could plan a heist, yes, though likely more poorly than an N would - an S could not have the sheer forethought that Mal and Wash display, though.

    Note, also, that they fit their respective type's functions exceedingly well -- Wash especially. He could literally fit nothing more than Ne Fi Te. His Te is too prominent to be inferior (His first comments on Simon's plan were nitpicking for efficiency, but Simon, being an Ni Te on crack, had ironed it out already), and he shows little to no Ni.

    Yeah I don't know about that. Joking isn't a type as far as Myers Briggs is concerned. Neither is being polite. Hannibal Lecter was an INTJ and he was very polite.
    Well, yes -- My argument is that his behavior can be associated with ISFJ because he's polite, but he isn't an ISFJ. You're not contradicting me at all.

    How is that an INTJ quote? He was reminding Mal that evil deeds lead to damnation. If that's not an NFJ thing to say, then I don't know what is.
    Are you shitting me? Read the end of that line again. He was clearly not taking himself too seriously. To me, that sounded like he was messing with Mal's head for fun, and doing so in a way that reinforces his cover.

    Well the whole character of Shepard Book is that he held a secret - and it is implied in the series that the secret is that he was a high ranking officer in the Alliance, maybe even a former "Operative". So combat wasn't an alien concept to him.
    Precisely. An INFJ operative?

    Particularity may be an indication of J-ness, but it is not by all means a conclusive one. She was a professional, and professionals do things in a professional (i.e. particular) way.
    Yes. Judgers act professionally. Perceivers do not. Mal does not and neither do I, for example.

    Also from what I recall, she seemed to stay out of the affairs of the crew, unless it was clear that they couldn't handle it without her help.
    J =/= getting involved in the business of others. She was very decisive when it came to her own job; she just didn't care much for Mal's.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

    Teacher (Idyllic), ESE-IEI (Si-ESFj), SLue|I|, Sanguine-Melancholy
    Sage, True Neutral (Chaotic Good), Type III Anti-Hero
    Inventive > Artistic > Leisurely > Dramatic
    7w6 > 4w3 > 9w8, weakside sp/so

    Dark Worker (Sacrificing)
    Freewheeling Designer

    Hayekian Asshole


  2. #22
    Senior Member cafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None
    Posts
    9,827

    Default

    You guys really think an ISFJ wouldn't kill somebody as quick as blinking if they believed their 'cub' was in real danger?

    And just because an NFJ is being polite and a little funny doesn't mean they don't mean it or that they won't get you. Believe me, you'd much rather be at my INTP husband's mercy than at mine if you did something despicable, especially to someone I felt protective of.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

  3. #23
    Yeah, I can fly. Aleksei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti
    Posts
    3,644

    Default

    Simon is INTJ, not INFJ.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

    Teacher (Idyllic), ESE-IEI (Si-ESFj), SLue|I|, Sanguine-Melancholy
    Sage, True Neutral (Chaotic Good), Type III Anti-Hero
    Inventive > Artistic > Leisurely > Dramatic
    7w6 > 4w3 > 9w8, weakside sp/so

    Dark Worker (Sacrificing)
    Freewheeling Designer

    Hayekian Asshole


  4. #24
    Nerd King Usurper Edgar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    4,209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksei View Post
    An S could plan a heist, yes, though likely more poorly than an N would - an S could not have the sheer forethought that Mal and Wash display, though.
    Dude that is ridiculous. One of the best generals in history were SPs: Rommel, Patton, Stonewall Jackson, etc. I wouldn't be surprised that most successful bank heists are orchestrated by SPs.

    General Lee was likely an SJ, and he was kicking Union ass all over the place before the South finally succumbed to the war of attrition.

    You are falling into the biggest faux pas of Myers Briggs, which is associating general intelligence with type.

    Different types have different strengths (strategy, tactics, diplomacy, logistics), but they are not completely impotent in other areas. For example, I am right handed and Lennox Lewis is left handed, but his left hand is still stronger than my right one. See what I'm getting at?

    Are you shitting me? Read the end of that line again. He was clearly not taking himself too seriously. To me, that sounded like he was messing with Mal's head for fun, and doing so in a way that reinforces his cover.
    It's called "tact". You don't go around passing moral judgment on your captain without a bit of diplomacy.

    Precisely. An INFJ operative?
    What is your point? An NF cannot be a dedicated believer who is willing to use any means necessary to protect his beliefs?

    If anything, an NF is more likely to be an Operative than an NT, because the whole job of an Operative was "protect secrets at any cost, but do not ask what those secrets are". NTs usually want to know what they are protecting, and why. NTs are utilitarian and NFs are cooperative, hence NFs are more likely to accept other person's idea of what "the greater good" is.

    Yes. Judgers act professionally. Perceivers do not. Mal does not and neither do I, for example.
    Yes, because every Perciever is a klutz, every SJ is an old fashioned retard, and every NT is a strategic genius.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

  5. #25
    Yeah, I can fly. Aleksei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti
    Posts
    3,644

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Edgar View Post
    Dude that is ridiculous. One of the best generals in history were SPs: Rommel, Patton, Stonewall Jackson, etc. I wouldn't be surprised that most successful bank heists are orchestrated by SPs.
    Most bank heists period are orchestrated by SPs, because SPs are more reckless than NTs. I would wager however, that in terms of the level of success of a given heist (as in getting away from the cops, etc.) heists planned by NTJs and INTPs are much more successful than heists planned by SPs.

    This is nitpicking, however. You are ignoring the meat of my argument, which is that:

    1. Mal and Wash display forethought and originality in making plans, neither of which Sensors possess.
    2. Their cognitive functions line up perfectly with ENTP and ENFP. Mal is clearly Ti-aux and Fe-tertiary, and Wash is clearly Fi-aux and Te-tertiary.

    You are falling into the biggest faux pas of Myers Briggs, which is associating general intelligence with type.

    Different types have different strengths (strategy, tactics, diplomacy, logistics), but they are not completely impotent in other areas. For example, I am right handed and Lennox Lewis is left handed, but his left hand is still stronger than my right one. See what I'm getting at?
    See -- Thing is that type is correlated to general intelligence. Statistical evidence exists to that fact. Now, because that doesn't mean all SPs are dumb or all NTs are smart (Standard distribution and all that jazz), I would not and didn't use that as a justification for my defense of Wash and Mal being N. I don't need to.

    It's called "tact". You don't go around passing moral judgment on your captain without a bit of diplomacy.
    Book isn't part of the crew.

    What is your point? An NF cannot be a dedicated believer who is willing to use any means necessary to protect his beliefs?

    If anything, an NF is more likely to be an Operative than an NT, because the whole job of an Operative was "protect secrets at any cost, but do not ask what those secrets are". NTs usually want to know what they are protecting, and why. NTs are utilitarian and NFs are cooperative, hence NFs are more likely to accept other person's idea of what "the greater good" is.
    Which might explain Book getting out? I dunno. Remember, he was an Operative, past tense. He isn't anymore.

    Yes, because every Perciever is a klutz, every SJ is an old fashioned retard, and every NT is a strategic genius.
    Most Perceivers are klutzes and most SJs are old-fashioned retards, yes. It fits their cognitive preferences. NTs are not all strategic geniuses, because strategy is not at all an NTP forte, it's an NTJ thing. We suck at it.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

    Teacher (Idyllic), ESE-IEI (Si-ESFj), SLue|I|, Sanguine-Melancholy
    Sage, True Neutral (Chaotic Good), Type III Anti-Hero
    Inventive > Artistic > Leisurely > Dramatic
    7w6 > 4w3 > 9w8, weakside sp/so

    Dark Worker (Sacrificing)
    Freewheeling Designer

    Hayekian Asshole


  6. #26
    Senior Member cafe's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    INFj None
    Posts
    9,827

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksei View Post
    Simon is INTJ, not INFJ.
    If you're saying he's not an ISFJ because he ruthlessly protects his sister, I don't think that's a good reason.

    And the NFJ thing I was talking about was Book.
    “There are two novels that can change a bookish fourteen-year old’s life: The Lord of the Rings and Atlas Shrugged. One is a childish fantasy that often engenders a lifelong obsession with its unbelievable heroes, leading to an emotionally stunted, socially crippled adulthood, unable to deal with the real world. The other, of course, involves orcs.”
    ~ John Rogers

  7. #27
    Yeah, I can fly. Aleksei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti
    Posts
    3,644

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by cafe View Post
    If you're saying he's not an ISFJ because he ruthlessly protects his sister, I don't think that's a good reason.
    It's not and I didn't. I said he's not an ISFJ because he is a ruthless and creative planner. Seen Ariel?
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

    Teacher (Idyllic), ESE-IEI (Si-ESFj), SLue|I|, Sanguine-Melancholy
    Sage, True Neutral (Chaotic Good), Type III Anti-Hero
    Inventive > Artistic > Leisurely > Dramatic
    7w6 > 4w3 > 9w8, weakside sp/so

    Dark Worker (Sacrificing)
    Freewheeling Designer

    Hayekian Asshole


  8. #28
    Nerd King Usurper Edgar's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    4,209

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksei View Post

    See -- Thing is that type is correlated to general intelligence. Statistical evidence exists to that fact.
    Don't tell me you believe that a 5 point variation on standardized IQ test is an accurate reflection of one's intelligence.

    Most IQ tests measure a minutia of overall human intelligence, and are conducted in a way that is receptive to certain types more than the others. For example, I would guess that an ISTJ kid is a lot more likely to sit still and read every question diligently for 2 hours than an ESFP kid.

    Book isn't part of the crew.
    Everyone on that ship became part of the crew - that's kind of the whole point of the series.

    And even if you are just a passenger on the ship, when you chastise the captain you risk getting your ass thrown off of it.

    Which might explain Book getting out? I dunno. Remember, he was an Operative, past tense. He isn't anymore.
    Would you say that it is possible that as an NF he got tired of killing people and became a preacher as an act of repentance?

    Most Perceivers are klutzes and most SJs are old-fashioned retards, yes. It fits their cognitive preferences. NTs are not all strategic geniuses, because strategy is not at all an NTP forte, it's an NTJ thing. We suck at it.
    Strategic thinking is the dominant type of intelligence for an NT (read some Keirsey).

    If you, as an NT, suck at it... well then, I'm sorry to say you don't have a lot going for yourself.
    Listen to me, baby, you got to understand, you're old enough to learn the makings of a man.

  9. #29
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    8w7
    Posts
    154

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksei View Post
    Ok, Edgar's post was bad, but this is just batshit retarded. Mal is not an E or an S, Jayne is not an E, Kaylee is not an I, and River is not a possible S. And all of this is painfully obvious.

    I already explained Mal: The guy's cracking jokes all the time and never asks for time alone to recharge. And an S would just not be as creative and clever as he is.

    Jayne is clearly, clearly an ISTP, and how you got E is completely beyond me. The guy flat-out loathes talking to people, and acts dismissively towards people that attempt it. Kaylee is, likewise, not at all fond of alone time. She was having the time of her life in Shindig, if you'll remember.

    River is a clear INTP. Trying to fix the Bible is evidence of Ti Ne on crack.

    Book is also quite definitely an N, and seems I rather than E. He keeps to himself most of the time, and he's very creative (the fucker figured out a way around the First Commandment in War Stories).
    Calm down buddy. I hadn''t seen that many episodes. I've watched more now. I could see Jayne being an ISTP. He's kind of outspoken which I usually associate with E's, but you're right he's not the sociable type at all. Also, I thought Mal was ISTP, and well there's no way they're the same type. Now I'll go with ISTJ for Mal. If you look at interaction styles alone you can see he's no ENTP. He's responsive and directing. Edgar seems to have the other characters figured out pretty well.

  10. #30
    Senior Member ZPowers's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2010
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4
    Posts
    1,492

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aleksei View Post

    River is a clear INTP. Trying to fix the Bible is evidence of Ti Ne on crack.
    My spiel on the story of Adam and Eve alone goes on a solid fifteen minutes.
    Does he want a pillow for his head?

Similar Threads

  1. Type the Star Trek Characters
    By Dark Razor in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 93
    Last Post: 05-29-2014, 11:02 AM
  2. Firefly (formerly your favorite TV characters)
    By Eileen in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 03-17-2013, 05:39 AM
  3. The AD&D Character Alignment Test
    By Totenkindly in forum Online Personality Tests
    Replies: 192
    Last Post: 06-07-2011, 03:55 PM
  4. National Character?
    By SolitaryWalker in forum Politics, History, and Current Events
    Replies: 71
    Last Post: 12-29-2009, 03:29 PM
  5. Which Lost character...?
    By Totenkindly in forum Arts & Entertainment
    Replies: 62
    Last Post: 03-21-2009, 03:47 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO