User Tag List

First 456

Kdude:

Saying this method is "stupid" is in fact "stupid". Jung's psychology is based on mysticism and woo-woo. It is a religion. Read some of his biographies. He was a miserable bully - a cult leader. His theories are often based on his experiences with just one or two patients.

Your statement that psychology is not physiology shows your ignorance of the direction modern science is going. Psychologists are extremely interested in the physiological substrate of behavior. The religious notion of "soul" as the cause of behavior has been abandoned by science. Human behavior requires a human BODY. There are basic systems required by a human body. There has to be a system for taking in and digesting nutrients. (GUT or Visceral System) There has to be a system for moving the body (muscular system) . There has to be a system for choosing direction (brain and nervous system). And there has to be a system for orientation (sensory receptors).

I challenge anyone to come up with another body system that isn't a sub-system of one of these four.

Now, remember humans differ in how these systems are constituted. We differ in how much of our tissue is invested in gut, muscle, brain. Are you going to say that people are all equally endowed with these capacities. Are you going to ignore the larger investment in gut with an endomorph and what that means in the way that body is predisposed to behave? Are you going to ignore the muscle mass of the mesomorph? Do you think having abundant energy and muscle is going to have minimal effect on the person that possesses that trait. Are you going to ignore the large surface to volume ratio in ectomorphs and say that this has no effect on their behavior. If you deny this then you are doing so out of ignorance.

As to this statement you made:

I don't appreciate people just claiming authority by default. They're just showing themselves as people who want to others to be beholden to them.
    I don't believe in authority. I believe in intelligent entities. I believe in intelligent concepts.

As to my use of MBTI types. I have said it over and over. I use those types because they are popular. You have to start wherever you are. A good personality theory can be expected to explain all the typologies. And typologies aren't scripture handed down from Mount Sinai - writ in stone. It should be expected that there will be some adjustments in understanding typology if it is science and not religion.

I understand too well that some here don't like change. The desire for change requires a certain personality trait called "openness". Not all of you have that. Those who don't score high on openness prefer to wait until the "new" becomes orthodoxy. And those who wait until the "new" becomes orthodox die without benefiting from the "new". So be it. It has always been that way.

I'm not building an organization. I enjoy seeing people really discovering their identity. I am saddened by the endless discussions of "I don't know if I'm a T or an F" I guess I'll just be an IXXJ etc. The objective of helping people find their true self through somatotyping is the same as helping people discover themselves through MBTI or DiSC or whatever. The difference that I have seen for myself and others is that knowing one's body type eventually moves a person toward wholeness. This is something you can only experience if you try it. Even if you find your somatotype that's no guarantee you will be enlightened. You need to understand what the somatotype theory is about. And that could take some time.
    “Sheldon considers human beings as they really are - psycho-physical wholes.”

“the first serious advance of the science of man since Aristotle”

“For the first time the old insights and intuitions about the different kinds of human beings have been clarified and put on a firmly objective and measurable basis.”
    ___“Aldous Huxley/ A Biography” Sybille Bedford, 1974

Banned
    MBTI
    me

What type are Viggo and Johnny?

My fucking type, that's what they are

MBTI
    INFJ

This is a very interesting thread.

Psychdigg, I don't mean to butt in, but I feel that you are so in love with this somatotype theory that you are not being objective here. You are basically telling everyone that they are wrong and that the theories they believe in are wrong too. I find this somatotype interesting and worthy of checking out, but it's still just one theory among others. That means somatotype can be wrong, too. And when you say things like...
    And certainly other people aren't necessarily what you think they are.
    Send me a photograph etc. and I'll give them some data that might help them figure things out.
    ...you are directly contradicting yourself.

It's not objective to act as if somatotype is the only correct personality theory in existence. It is a possibility among others. As you said you are researching it, you should really aim for an objective approach. Otherwise your love for it will justify it.

Mr. Random: Yes I overstate some things because I am an enthusiast for somatotype. But let me make this point again. Theory has to do more than describe something. Describing is a legitimate scientific endeavor. Things are easier to handle if you classify them and build taxonomies whether its personalities, ferns or the shapes of galaxies. But, at some point you have to "explain" them. Do you see the difference? The difference between merely describing and explaining?

Jung's explanations are not scientific. There is nothing he can measure objectively. He didn't particularly like tests such as MBTI. It is reported that half the Jungian analysts don't use the MBTI types.

Somatotype has been proven scientifically to correlate with certain personality traits. True, these correlations are low (.25 to .60) but they are in the direction Sheldon predicted and are significant to p. .01 I believe I have found the missing fourth dimension in Sheldon's scheme that makes it possible to correlate somatotype with most of the personality theories.

CONTRADICTING MYSELF?

How? Without any objective measurement you are left with strictly opinion. Are assessments minus objective measurement and based on opinion going to be reliable?
    Is it a false statment to say that other people aren't NECESSARILY what you think they are?

On the other hand somatotype is based on physical measurements and its connection with various personality types whether Four temperaments, Enneagram, MBTI, Big 5, Cattell 16 PF, DiSC . The fact that somatotype correlates with whatever system you may be using suggests that something is working.
    On the other hand measurements that connect somatotype with personality
    “Sheldon considers human beings as they really are - psycho-physical wholes.”

“the first serious advance of the science of man since Aristotle”

“For the first time the old insights and intuitions about the different kinds of human beings have been clarified and put on a firmly objective and measurable basis.”
    ___“Aldous Huxley/ A Biography” Sybille Bedford, 1974

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

I read a Viggo Mortensen interview in Elle once, and I was like, wow, this guy is in my head. That said, I think he is INFJ, not ISFP. He has a more intense vibe than easy-going - contrasting him with Depp shows that. Depp gives off the idea he is a lot more intense underneath the surface, but maintains an external calmness.

Depp is INFP, maybe ISFP, but he seems Ne-aux to me. His approach to acting sounds like an INFP creative approach - have a concept, then toss it & do what feels right. When he talks about a "universal feeling" in that interview, it just screams Fi.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

^I like Depp's process.. I don't know if it says anything about type, but it's simple, almost childlike mimicry..like he just looks for a simple symbolic image to anchor his characters on and builds from there. He talks a lot about basing his characters on combinations of things or people he knows, and just imitates. Jack Sparrow is supposedly Pepe LePeaux and Keith Richards. Edward Scissorhands was just based on a dog he knew once. His ability to latch on to the right expression of what he sees in the script is cool though..

Random tidbit.. he thought his skills were kind of a joke at first. There's a funny story when he first got hired for Scissorhands, and he started hiding out in his trailer and freaking out..he thought it was a big prank that people were letting him star in a movie like that, like it was wrong for him to be there. That they would "figure him out" and his acting days were over. He thought Tim Burton was totally different and just this big hotshot Batman director, and that he was going to knock on the door at any minute and tell him he was going to be replaced with Tom Hanks (even though Hanks nothing to do with anything..Depp said he just thought that because Hanks was really popular after Big came out). That all sounds a little like random N paranoia to me..

MBTI
    XXXX
    Enneagram
    5w4

Depp INFJ
    Viggo INTJ

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Viggo who?

Please provide feedback on my Nohari and Johari Window by clicking here: Nohari/Johari

Tri-type 639