User Tag List

1231151 Last

Ginkgo

Default INTJ "Intelligent" Myth

I've noticed a trend in television sitcoms for "intelligent" characters to be INTJs.
    Notably, Stewy Griffin, Gandalf the Grey, Hannibal Lectar and Severus Snape.

Obviously this a stereotype unfounded in reality, but what is it about INTJs that makes Hollywood writers make them intelligent characters, or alternatively make intelligent characters into INTJs?

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Well I think Stewie is an ENTP, but that's beside the point, I guess.

Writers of popular movies/TV write their characters to play into the stereotypes that regular people are comfortable with because that sells movie tickets and gets Nielsen ratings. So NTs are smart and pretentious, NFs are emo and needy, SPs are dumb but courageous, and SJs are soulless rule-mongers.

Money makes the world go round, Mr. Tater.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

MBTI
    ISTP
    Enneagram
    8w7

Because there calm, cool, calculating, focused, disciplined, and they like to think and learn. Those are some good precursors for intelligence. Barring some kind of disorder. I would say most INTJ's are smart. The rest try to appear smart, and may even fool some.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    ILI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Benny View Post
    Because there calm, cool, calculating, focused, disciplined, and they like to think and learn. Those are some good precursors for intelligence. Barring some kind of disorder. I would say most INTJ's are smart. The rest try to appear smart, and may even fool some.
    That sounds more like it's just a personality that predispositions you to have good study habits. It might lead you to work through the education system and get good grades and be more successful than some P types in that regard, but that doesn't indicate that they're smarter or more intelligent. They're just better adjusted to structured learning environments.
    Never wrestle with a pig. You will get dirty and the pig will enjoy it.

Well when they are very knowledgeable, perceptive about people and easily picking up of the important points of a science or activity, and efficiently calculating in everything they do, that pretty much makes for what I would call an intelligent person. And I don't think it would be reasonable to attribute someone with all of these qualities to another personality type unless the type spent a great deal of energy training themselves to be something they aren't naturally (which I don't doubt is at all impossible to do); and I'm sure there are some situations where this is the case in fiction. But for the practical purposes of having a character with the amplified characteristics of an INTJ, it is usually more interesting for people to watch if the person is naturally (meaning all the time) displaying what they see as the best characteristics of the INTJ type.

But, as an aside, whether someone is considered intelligent or not becomes relative to each unique observer. So in general, it seems a great number of people find the qualities of the INTJ to be very intelligent or a precursor as you say to intelligence.

MBTI
    INFP

I would say that well-developed Te would give lend to an appearance of intelligence.

As for whether or not the characters possess types at all (doubtful) is another issue, but regardless they can possess a skill for Te.

MBTI
    INFP

Actually, Ni would play a big part (huge part) in intelligence too, if we're going to talk functions.

Whenever I say huge I think of Tiger Woods' voicemail.

Basically, well-developed thought and intuition processes would be a factor in intelligence.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Most INTJs have a thing for knowledge and are usually avid independent learners.
    Also, INTJs are usually good with languages and systems, and thus... Well.
    Seeing patterns, relating small pieces into a whole...

Even if INTJ intelligence might not be higher than average per se, we'd still have many of the nicest prerequisites for growing knowledge out of information.
    We also have that need to make things into useful tools, whether it's for an argument or some task.
    So... Even a stupid INTJ might be really effective in certain pursuits if he or she doesn't suffer from some kind of disorder that makes said person dysfunctional.

Also, we focus. We're good at it. If something didn't go really wrong somewhere in some weird individual case.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

MBTI
    INTJ

I've noticed a trend in television sitcoms for "intelligent" characters to be INTJs.
    Obviously this a stereotype unfounded in reality
    All stereotypes, however flattering or unflattering, are grounded in some level of truth. Enough INTJs are smart enough that someone started to notice a pattern. What you said is akin to saying "I've noticed a lot of 'people-people' on TV are ExFJs. Obviously this is unfounded in reality." It's kind of ridiculous.

MBTI
    INTJ

It's just that intelligence seems to have a certain esteemed quality to it that makes hotly debated.