• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INTJ "Intelligent" Myth

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I'm going to ignore the first half of your comment, as it is irrelevant and is perforated with your own personal bias.

If you say you are going to ignore it, then why are you mentioning it? :shock:

Besides, I'm only using IQ because it is the closest measure we have of intelligence. I have already stated that IQ alone isn't enough to function "intelligently" in the real world, where personality governs the application of that IQ. Since personality and IQ are both necessary, I point out that INTJs are a personality predisposed to both applying their intelligence successfully and having higher intelligence as a result.

I'm sorry, but anybody who thinks IQs tests "are the closest measure we have of intelligence" is (a) not very bright, (b) very ignorant, or (c) extremely insecure. Pick your option!

Fact is, you can train yourself to pass IQ tests, and get better results as a consequence. Does that mean your "intelligence" will have increased in the process? Not at all.
Plus, the purpose of IQ tests is to quickly understand what the test expects of you. It doesn't require accuracy, logic or depth, just the ability to quickly react to stereotyped, repetitive questions you should answer in a minimum amount of time.
I don't see where the intelligence lies in this act, and where it is "tested".

Let's say you write a thesis or a book. What will be more useful: to be a jack of all trade, to remain superficial but quick (what the test wants), or rather to design an entirely revolutionary idea, even if it takes you a lot time in the process -the test doesn't measure the true pertinence, the real relevance of the answers-?

So in the end, IQ tests only measure... our ability to successively pass other IQ tests! But academically or scientifically, the usefulness of its so-called predictions is close to zero.

---

Side note: Have you ever read "The Mismeasure of Man" (Stephen Jay Gould, New York: W.W. Norton & Co, 1981)?

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I am certain their are a few individuals who are guilty of posting knowingly false i.q. scores but i doubt it is as common as you make it sound.

It is, it really is.

And I guess you suspect it too.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Side note: Have you ever read "The Mismeasure of Man" (Stephen Jay Gould, New York: W.W. Norton & Co, 1981)?

Yes, I have.

And I tore it apart in an essay in college.

And got an A+ despite the fact that the professor was basically attempting to force Gould's thesis on the class.

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
^ My God, you are annoying...

I'm not annoying, I'm just plain brilliant.
roi-couronne-sceptre.gif

As a matter of fact, I do have an extremely high IQ. But can you believe me? I don't believe myself, sometimes... So, who can you trust? Does it really matter, by the way?

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Yes, I have.

And I tore it apart in an essay in college.

And got an A+ despite the fact that the professor was basically attempting to force Gould's thesis on the class.

Liar. :cheese:

By the way, you're talking to a REAL university professor. As we say in French, don't imagine you can teach an old monkey how to make a funny face =similar to "Don't teach your grandmother how to suck eggs"

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Liar. :cheese:

By the way, you're talking to a REAL university professor.

Btw, I went to Berkeley, and talked with many of them all the time (probably all more "brilliant" than you).

Mind queuing me in on why I should give a fuck?

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
i'd like to hear more about INTJs and less about how brilliant blackmail thinks he is.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
p.s. Feel free to ask R@khesh Bh@nd@ri in the Dep@rtment of Rhetoric at Berkeley whether what I'm saying is true.

G

Ginkgo

It's times like this when I screw a pipe in my lips, dawn my night robe, sit down on my satin guilded armchair in front of the luxurious hearth of my kindled fireplace, and cackle at the sight of ebullient forumers from the comfort of my $5,000 monster laptop.

themightybob

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Blackmail you still havent told me the name of the thread where all the intjs were ranting about their supposedly falsified i.q. scores. If you have it post it and i may agree with you after i read it. If you dont have it say so.

b.t.w what field do you teach at your university? I dont doubt your claim i would just like to know.

erm

Permabanned
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
You know, two years ago I noticed the same trend in the INTJ-forum: they were obsessed with their (vastly exaggerated) IQ numbers. When you talk to them about IQs, most so-called INTJs that dwelt there suddenly turned completely irrational.

I remember that! One thread in particular.

One of them even claimed a 200 IQ, standard deviation 15. After a few posts it was clear he wasn't trolling, and people didn't question him beyond one or two suspicious posts.

I would have pointed out that no one in the world has an officially recorded IQ that high, but I couldn't stop laughing long enough to do it.

IQ though, after 100 or so loses most of its correlation with intelligence. You only have to go to a MENSA or Prometheus meeting to see that.

People are notorious for exaggerating that particular number, often without realising it. Even I used to think my IQ was around 180, now I realise it's just a measly 170:(

G

Ginkgo

I remember that!

One of them even claimed a 200 IQ, standard deviation 15. After a few posts it was clear he wasn't trolling, and people didn't question him beyond one or two suspicious posts.

I would have pointed out that no one in the world has an officially recorded IQ that high, but I couldn't stop laughing long enough to do it.

IQ though, after 100 or so loses most of its correlation with intelligence. You only have to go to a MENSA or Prometheus meeting to see that.

People are notorious for exaggerating that particular number, often without realising it. Even I used to think my IQ was around 180, now I realise it's just a measly 170:(

William James Sidis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Mole

Permabanned
Well, don't worry.

Your name will be forgotten here as soon as you leave. I guarantee it.

I live in a city designed by a landscape architect like you. And his name, Walter Burley Griffin, will last as long as the landscape. So perhaps, Blackmail, you too are writing your name into the landscape as well.

Lex Talionis

MBTI Type
INTJ
If you say you are going to ignore it, then why are you mentioning it? :shock:

Clearly, I meant that I'm going to ignore the content of it and will not respond to its claims; not that I will ignore its existence.

Don't play stupid. :rolleyes:

I'm sorry, but anybody who thinks IQs tests "are the closest measure we have of intelligence" is (a) not very bright, (b) very ignorant, or (c) extremely insecure. Pick your option!

Why is that? What better method do we have that is both practical and applicable?

Fact is, you can train yourself to pass IQ tests, and get better results as a consequence. Do that mean your "intelligence" will have increased in the process? Not at all.

Actually, if you research Arthur Jensen's g factor, you will learn that studies show that improvements on IQ tests are generally a result of specialized knowledge that allows for a higher score on that test (or series of very similar tests), and that test alone, and usually declines over time. This acquired ability does not translate to other psychometric tests.

Somebody who actually does improve their IQ permanently across the entire range of psychometric tests most likely had a high IQ to begin with and simply misunderstood the earlier testing. People like this don't generally require training and improve over a very short period of time.

Plus, the purpose of IQ tests is to quickly understand what the test expects of you. It doesn't not require accuracy, logic or depth, just the ability to quickly react to stereotyped, repetitive questions you should answer in a minimum of time.
I don't see where the intelligence lie in this act, and where it is "tested".

It requires you to understand the question and appropriate the necessary reasoning abilities (i.e. drawing inferences), utilize prior knowledge (i.e. crystallized intelligence), and coming to an overall conclusion (i.e. perception.)

Let's say you write a thesis or a book. What will be more useful: to be a jack of all trade, to remain superficial but quick (what the test wants), or rather to design an entirely revolutionary idea, even if it takes you a lot time in the process -the test doesn't measure the true pertinence, the real relevance of the answers-?

The tests do measure one level of the requisite cognitive functions, and the timing is used to measure the speed with which one can execute these functions and to set a limit that allows for individual comparison.

So in the end, IQ tests only measure... our ability to successively pass other IQ tests! But academically or scientifically, the usefulness of its so-called predictions is close to zero.

---

Nonsense. Stephen Jay Gould does not have the definitive word on the usefulness of IQ tests.

IQ has been successfully correlated with many facets of life, and only those who wish to remain willfully ignorant or scientifically dishonest deny this in the psychological community.

Read the works of Richard Lynn, Arthur Jensen, Charles Murray, Richard Herrnstein, and J. Philippe Rushton for a better and more honest understanding of IQ.

Blackmail!

Gotta catch you all!
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
Blackmail you still havent told me the name of the thread where all the intjs were ranting about their supposedly falsified i.q. scores. If you have it post it and i may agree with you after i read it. If you dont say so.

Just check the dreaded INTJ forum.

b.t.w what field do you teach at your university? I dont doubt your claim i would just like to know.

Green building; Landscape theory and history; Eco-friendly approach of urbanism and landscape.

And sometimes I do lecture about specific subjects or my current work.