User Tag List

First 1454626364656674 Last

Results 631 to 640 of 793

  1. #631
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,122

    Default

    I would say that you are using a narrow view of intelligence there

    NOW BONG THIS BEER AND LEER AT SOME BOOBS!!!!!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  2. #632
    reborn PeaceBaby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    937 so/sx
    Posts
    6,226

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    But I WOULDN'T say that those Buddhist monks are SMARTER or MORE INTELLIGENT than EINSTEIN!
    That's very subjective of you ...
    "Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one."
    Eleanor Roosevelt


    "When people see some things as beautiful,
    other things become ugly.
    When people see some things as good,
    other things become bad."
    Lao Tzu, Tao Te Ching

  3. #633
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so
    Posts
    8,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    That's very subjective of you ...
    And I'd beg to differ.

  4. #634
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    STP
    Posts
    10,501

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    And I WOULD say the CONVERSE to that statement.
    Yeah, with world domination it would be kinda unintelligent to study budhist monk ethics. I see your point.
    Im out, its been fun

  5. #635
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,122

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    That's very subjective of you ...
    well... he IS a feeler today
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  6. #636
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    And I WOULD say the CONVERSE to that statement.
    I think labeling either more intelligent than the other is probably a mistake because they're exercising different kinds of intelligence.

    Why is Einstein smarter? Because he accomplished a goal that you, from your own biases, consider more worthwhile than the accomplishments of the monks? You're still operating from a fundamental assumption that the type of intelligence you value is objectively superior.

    How about a guy who cures cancer? Surely most people would declare him a saint for accomplishing something so wonderful, but that's based on the assumption that perpetuating human life is a good thing. From the neutral perspective of the universe, "good" and "bad" don't exist; they're just arbitrary value judgments based on our own personal biases.

    What if, from the perspective of some alien race, humans are a dangerous and violent species and perpetuating their existence via curing cancer is actually bad?
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

  7. #637
    Dreaming the life onemoretime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    But I WOULDN'T say that those Buddhist monks are SMARTER or MORE INTELLIGENT than EINSTEIN!
    I bet you if you lived in Hiroshima or Nagasaki around January of 1946, you'd disagree.

  8. #638
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so
    Posts
    8,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    I think labeling either more intelligent than the other is probably a mistake because they're exercising different kinds of intelligence.

    Why is Einstein smarter? Because he accomplished a goal that you, from your own biases, consider more worthwhile than the accomplishments of the monks?
    No, I'd call Einstein more intelligent, as I would of Newton, and Galileo, and Plato, and Descartes, and Nietzsche, and many others, because they discovered and/or invented something that shaped the course of human history using their minds, and because most other human beings would never have been able to do what they did, because they lack the intelligence to do so.

    Many human beings, on the other hand, can do what the monks are doing.

    And, in many ways, the monks are merely doing what dogs do naturally.

    And I have nothing against dogs or monks; as I said before, I do yoga and meditate regularly.

    I'm just saying, for the most part, they're not as intelligent as those people I named above.

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    How about a guy who cures cancer?
    Cancer is never gunna be cured. Cancer is what happens to life after it's existed long enough to have complications/imperfections arise (and multiply).

    That being said: that guy would probably be pretty intelligent.

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    Surely most people would declare him a saint for accomplishing something so wonderful, but that's based on the assumption that perpetuating human life is a good thing.
    This isn't about saintliness; it's about intelligence.

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    From the neutral perspective of the universe, "good" and "bad" don't exist; they're just arbitrary value judgments based on our own personal biases.
    It's flawed to simply assume that the universe is neutral.

    Same goes for the stated position on good and bad.

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    What if, from the perspective of some alien race, humans are a dangerous and violent species and perpetuating their existence via curing cancer is actually bad?
    That would be their subjective perspective.

  9. #639
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so
    Posts
    8,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by poki View Post
    Yeah, with world domination it would be kinda unintelligent to study budhist monk ethics. I see your point.
    To be honest, I strongly disagree.

    Studying them is just one step towards my global *liberation*.


  10. #640
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so
    Posts
    8,161

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    I bet you if you lived in Hiroshima or Nagasaki around January of 1946, you'd disagree.
    Hey, Onemoretime!

    Good thing you showed up to say something totally irrelevant (and that I and everyone else could care less about)!

Similar Threads

  1. [INTJ] Quotes, Songs, Commercials, GIFs
    By Nieland in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-24-2015, 09:21 PM
  2. [INTJ] INTJ Quote Of The Day
    By Mal12345 in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: 11-23-2012, 11:32 AM
  3. Words of Wisdom, Inspiring Quotes, etc
    By rivercrow in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 11-21-2008, 06:39 PM
  4. [MBTItm] Quote on Intution
    By heart in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-15-2007, 01:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO