User Tag List

First 242505152535462 Last

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by themightybob View Post
    I guess i can agree with that, but i still think the correllation between I.Q. and the generally accepted measure of intelligence goes well beyond 100.
    Well, I didn't say it stopped completely at 100. Just started to weaken considerably. I've heard decent arguments for it staying strong up until 120 (this is all standard deviation 15), but I disagree.

I'm not sure how we could take this debate any further, however.

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Agreed here, too.

I've found that I can pretty accurately categorize the people I know into about a 10 point range on the IQ scale.

That's gotta count for something...
    Yes, but that doesn't contradict what I said. I believe I can guess rather accurately too after knowing someone for a while. Though I have been way off the mark from time to time.

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Agreed here, too.

I've found that I can pretty accurately categorize the people I know into about a 10 point range on the IQ scale.

Fine.

I've taken a written form of IQ test, many, many years ago, so in which range do you think I am?

I'm just curious...
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

Ginkgo

Agreed here, too.

Do me.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by PeaceBaby View Post
    btw, I can't believe this thread is still ongoing ... haven't you INTJ's managed to prove the accuracy of the myth yet?
    I know very many people with "high IQs".

For some reason, they tend not to brag about it on forum threads.

I wonder why?

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    Fine.

I've taken a written form of IQ test, many, many years ago, so in which range do you think I am?

I'm just curious...
    I've never met you.

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by themightybob View Post
    @erm
    Intelligence= the ability to solve simple and complex problems and to understand and process information.
    So it would follow that we ask ourselves the questions: What is simple? What is complex? What flavor of information? What is understanding?

For some supposedly intelligent people, social graces may be the most daunting tasks; though socialization is a form of problem. It is a challenge of some sort to be charismatic. Suddenly, the calculus major finds what is normally simple to be complex.

Meanwhile, the gregarious cheerleeder struggles in calculus class, but finds socialization, and even social manipulation coming with fluid ease. So what was complex for the intelligent person is simple for the non-intelligent.

Now, there are those who are poised to perceive patterns on a short term scale, processing information with quick adaptation; but they only understand these patterns on a superficial level.

Meanwhile, there are others who indolently come to perceive patterns, but once they do they have acute understanding of all the information.

Now, I'm not saying that there's not a generalized consensus as to what constitutes intelligence (though consensus does not dictate reality). I'm trying to elucidate why so many "multiple intelligences" were derived from the single definition you just proposed.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by erm View Post
    Yes, but that doesn't contradict what I said. I believe I can guess rather accurately too after knowing someone for a while. Though I have been way off the mark from time to time.
    But I think it does point to the fact that IQ tests point to something.

None of this is perfect, and it all gets muddled when you examine it too closely (as does most everything), but I think we can all agree that there is some kind of trait that we could call general intelligence, and that IQ tests -- properly administered, best in childhood -- are at least somewhat, albeit not entirely, accurate at pointing to whether one is of below, around, or greater than average intelligence, and, to a certain extent, how much below or how much greater than average one might be.

It ain't perfect, but most things aren't...

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by erm View Post
    I've heard decent arguments for it staying strong up until 120 (this is all standard deviation 15), but I disagree.
    I've heard that anyone above 130 is basically capable of doing anything another person above 130 (no matter how high) is capable of doing (intellect-wise).

Sounded like a semi-decent rule of thumb...

Ginkgo

But I think it does point to the fact that IQ tests point to something.

None of this is perfect, and it all gets muddled when you examine it too closely (as does most everything), but I think we can all agree that there is some kind of trait that we could call general intelligence, and that IQ tests -- properly administered, best in childhood -- are at least somewhat, albeit not entirely, accurate at pointing to whether one is of below, around, or greater than average intelligence, and, to a certain extent, how much below or how much greater than average than one might be.

It ain't perfect, but most things aren't...
    Yes.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Tater Typhoon View Post
    Yes.
    And sorry, Tater, I'd have to spend some time with you.

Not enough experience with online friends and zeroing in on their probable IQ score.