User Tag List

First 38464748495058 Last

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by digesthisickness View Post
    i'd like to hear more about INTJs and less about how brilliant blackmail thinks he is.
    I agree.

They're far more funnier than me, even if their humor is clearly unintentional...

Or is it?
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Blackmail! View Post
    I agree.

They're far more funnier than me, even if their humor is clearly unintentional...

Or is it?
    yeah, that's what i meant, all right.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥

Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery

Ginkgo

It's times like this when I screw a pipe in my lips, dawn my night robe, sit down on my satin guilded armchair in front of the luxurious hearth of my kindled fireplace, and cackle at the sight of ebullient forumers from the comfort of my $5,000 monster laptop.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    8w9

Blackmail you still havent told me the name of the thread where all the intjs were ranting about their supposedly falsified i.q. scores. If you have it post it and i may agree with you after i read it. If you dont have it say so.

b.t.w what field do you teach at your university? I dont doubt your claim i would just like to know.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

You know, two years ago I noticed the same trend in the INTJ-forum: they were obsessed with their (vastly exaggerated) IQ numbers. When you talk to them about IQs, most so-called INTJs that dwelt there suddenly turned completely irrational.
    I remember that! One thread in particular.

One of them even claimed a 200 IQ, standard deviation 15. After a few posts it was clear he wasn't trolling, and people didn't question him beyond one or two suspicious posts.

I would have pointed out that no one in the world has an officially recorded IQ that high, but I couldn't stop laughing long enough to do it.

IQ though, after 100 or so loses most of its correlation with intelligence. You only have to go to a MENSA or Prometheus meeting to see that.

People are notorious for exaggerating that particular number, often without realising it. Even I used to think my IQ was around 180, now I realise it's just a measly 170

Ginkgo

Quote Originally Posted by erm View Post
    I remember that!

One of them even claimed a 200 IQ, standard deviation 15. After a few posts it was clear he wasn't trolling, and people didn't question him beyond one or two suspicious posts.

I would have pointed out that no one in the world has an officially recorded IQ that high, but I couldn't stop laughing long enough to do it.

IQ though, after 100 or so loses most of its correlation with intelligence. You only have to go to a MENSA or Prometheus meeting to see that.

People are notorious for exaggerating that particular number, often without realising it. Even I used to think my IQ was around 180, now I realise it's just a measly 170
    William James Sidis - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Well, don't worry.

Your name will be forgotten here as soon as you leave. I guarantee it.
    I live in a city designed by a landscape architect like you. And his name, Walter Burley Griffin, will last as long as the landscape. So perhaps, Blackmail, you too are writing your name into the landscape as well.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by Tater Typhoon View Post
    Estimated over 250? There's loads of 200+ estimates.

Yet to see one higher than 195 that's actually been tested. Even that one is dodgy.

EDIT: Apparently there's a 210, doesn't mention SD, which has been verified. I'll look into it more.

MBTI
    INTJ

If you say you are going to ignore it, then why are you mentioning it?
    Clearly, I meant that I'm going to ignore the content of it and will not respond to its claims; not that I will ignore its existence.

Don't play stupid.

I'm sorry, but anybody who thinks IQs tests "are the closest measure we have of intelligence" is (a) not very bright, (b) very ignorant, or (c) extremely insecure. Pick your option!
    Why is that? What better method do we have that is both practical and applicable?

Fact is, you can train yourself to pass IQ tests, and get better results as a consequence. Do that mean your "intelligence" will have increased in the process? Not at all.
    Actually, if you research Arthur Jensen's g factor, you will learn that studies show that improvements on IQ tests are generally a result of specialized knowledge that allows for a higher score on that test (or series of very similar tests), and that test alone, and usually declines over time. This acquired ability does not translate to other psychometric tests.

Somebody who actually does improve their IQ permanently across the entire range of psychometric tests most likely had a high IQ to begin with and simply misunderstood the earlier testing. People like this don't generally require training and improve over a very short period of time.

Plus, the purpose of IQ tests is to quickly understand what the test expects of you. It doesn't not require accuracy, logic or depth, just the ability to quickly react to stereotyped, repetitive questions you should answer in a minimum of time.
    I don't see where the intelligence lie in this act, and where it is "tested".
    It requires you to understand the question and appropriate the necessary reasoning abilities (i.e. drawing inferences), utilize prior knowledge (i.e. crystallized intelligence), and coming to an overall conclusion (i.e. perception.)

Let's say you write a thesis or a book. What will be more useful: to be a jack of all trade, to remain superficial but quick (what the test wants), or rather to design an entirely revolutionary idea, even if it takes you a lot time in the process -the test doesn't measure the true pertinence, the real relevance of the answers-?
    The tests do measure one level of the requisite cognitive functions, and the timing is used to measure the speed with which one can execute these functions and to set a limit that allows for individual comparison.

So in the end, IQ tests only measure... our ability to successively pass other IQ tests! But academically or scientifically, the usefulness of its so-called predictions is close to zero.

---

Side note: Have you ever read "The Mismeasure of Man" (Stephen Jay Gould, New York: W.W. Norton & Co, 1981)?
    Nonsense. Stephen Jay Gould does not have the definitive word on the usefulness of IQ tests.

IQ has been successfully correlated with many facets of life, and only those who wish to remain willfully ignorant or scientifically dishonest deny this in the psychological community.

Read the works of Richard Lynn, Arthur Jensen, Charles Murray, Richard Herrnstein, and J. Philippe Rushton for a better and more honest understanding of IQ.
    "Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily."
    —Bonaparte

Gotta catch you all! Blackmail!'s Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w8

Quote Originally Posted by themightybob View Post
    Blackmail you still havent told me the name of the thread where all the intjs were ranting about their supposedly falsified i.q. scores. If you have it post it and i may agree with you after i read it. If you dont say so.
    Just check the dreaded INTJ forum.

b.t.w what field do you teach at your university? I dont doubt your claim i would just like to know.
    Green building; Landscape theory and history; Eco-friendly approach of urbanism and landscape.

And sometimes I do lecture about specific subjects or my current work.
    "A man who only drinks water has a secret to hide from his fellow-men" -Baudelaire

7w8 SCUxI