User Tag List

First 1927282930313979 Last

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

p.p.s. Fyi, it's my opinion that Nietzsche's perspectivism was not Nietzsche's sole opinion on the matter.

More than anything, he wanted to throw down the gauntlet, and thus provide a challenge.

He knew the stakes (relativism and nihilism), and he wanted to challenge the philosophers of the future to take up that challenge, and hopefully bring into existence a new thinking to combat a weak and pathetic relativism and nihilism.

It's even more complicated than that, but, just so you know, that's a leading off point for my opinion's on those quotes by Nietzsche.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Precisely.

How'd you know that?!?

::dusts off Ti::

Wow, I guess this thing does something after all.

Anyway though...

How does this conclusion help anything? Absolute truth is not useful if we cannot properly identify it as such! It's like we're holding a million pieces of coal and one of them may (or may not) really be a diamond in disguise, but we have no method at all of determining which one it might be.

How might we discern any absolute truths other than the facts that our consciousness exists and that no one knows for certain whether he knows anything (even though he might know something without knowing for sure that he does)?

p.s. This whole issue of "absolute" truth vs other kinds of truth is, imo, well observed through Aristotle's four causes.

And that Heidegger essay.

Check em out.
    Already started on the Heidegger essay. May not finish tonight.

Also, my definition of "absolute" knowledge is just that: something that we can know a priori and despite the problem of perceptual bias, through pure reason alone.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    ::dusts off Ti::

Wow, I guess this thing does something after all.

Anyway though...

How does this conclusion help anything? Absolute truth is not useful if we cannot properly identify it as such! It's like we're holding a million pieces of coal and one of them may (or may not) really be a diamond in disguise, but we have no method at all of determining which one it might be.

How might we discern any absolute truths other than the facts that our consciousness exists and that no one knows for certain whether he knows anything (even though he might know something without knowing for sure that he does)?
    By not freaking out about out uncertainty; having an open mind to new perspectives and ways of thinking, always giving them their due chance, but subjecting them to critical analysis, incorporating what you find useful and true to whatever extent that you do, and living and enjoying your life.

MBTI
    INTJ

Also, they are not silly questions to ask..

There's a reason why philosophers have been asking them for centuries.

The meaning is in the questioning...
    They are pointless questions to ask as they are eternally bound to remain unanswered by humans. It is what pseudo-philosophers, or pretentious teenagers ask in order to emanate an aura of philosophical understanding and sophistication; in reality, it's just sophistry.

Philosophy is best applied to answering questions about the human mind and its place in the known universe; not absolute questions that nobody can even begin constructing answers for.

However, if you wish to continue down this fruitless road for your own entertainment, then go right ahead. I will only sit in the background and laugh.
    "Death is nothing, but to live defeated and inglorious is to die daily."
    —Bonaparte

`~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5

matter energy

time space

electricity magnetism

Now, take that shit in the context of complexity and organization

Infinite levels of stuff.

"artificial" intelligence

us

we rely on sensors of detection and lenses of perception to decipher what is and what is not
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

"A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

"That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

Veritatem dies aperit

Ride si sapis

Intelligentle sparkles

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Already started on the Heidegger essay. May not finish tonight.
    Well, it's not easy reading. Be prepared for years of dealing with the effect it will have on you.

Also, my definition of "absolute" knowledge is just that: something that we can know a priori and despite the problem of perceptual bias, through pure reason alone.
    Well, maybe you need to put that perspective to the side (not away), and try out some new forms of thinking for a change.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

By not freaking out about out uncertainty; having an open mind to new perspectives and ways of thinking, always giving them their due chance, but subjecting them to critical analysis, incorporating what you find useful and true to whatever extent that you do, and living and enjoying your life.

Good advice, but it sounds more conducive to discovering what is useful to me in my particular life circumstances than to discovering absolute truth. Absolute truth would have to be universally true regardless of the conditions of my life or any external variables whatsoever.

Well, maybe you need to put that perspective to the side (not away), and try out some new forms of thinking for a change.

Maybe so. What other definitions of "absolute" do you feel are worth considering?

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Quote Originally Posted by Lex Talionis View Post
    They are pointless questions to ask as they are eternally bound to remain unanswered by humans. It is what pseudo-philosophers, or pretentious teenagers ask in order to emanate an aura of philosophical understanding and sophistication; in reality, it's just sophistry.

Philosophy is best applied to answering questions about the human mind and its place in the known universe; not absolute questions that nobody can even begin constructing answers for.

However, if you wish to continue down this fruitless road for your own entertainment, then go right ahead. I will only sit in the background and laugh.
    And I couldn't care less.

Tempbanned
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so

Good advice, but it sounds more conducive to discovering what is useful to me in my particular life circumstances than to discovering absolute truth. Absolute truth would have to be universally true regardless of the conditions of my life or any external variables whatsoever.

Maybe so. What other definitions of "absolute" do you feel are worth considering?
    Just read that stuff I've given you.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE

Just read that stuff I've given you.
    I will. In the mean time...a thought that just occurred to me:

Perhaps your emphasis on absorbing that which is useful to me in my life is influenced by the Te perspective, while I (via Ti) seek truth in the pure, absolute sense, independent of any external variables.