User Tag List

First 1826272829303878 Last

Results 271 to 280 of 793

  1. #271
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SillySapienne View Post
    Are you a solipsist?




    hahahaha, oy vey, good points, good points, this conversation needs to happen in a comfy room, with beverages and ambient music in the background.
    true that...

  2. #272
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by SillySapienne View Post
    But everything is, all perceptions exist.

    Does the existence of somthing make it real?

    Yes.
    You're playing with different shades of the meaning of the word "real" here. It kind of reminds me of St. Anselm's ontological argument and the way it just plays with different meanings of the word "great" in order to establish a faulty conclusion about the existence of God.

    And as part of that argument states, there is a difference between objective existence in the external world and subjective existence purely in the mind.

    All perceptions exist subjectively in the mind, but such perceptions do not guarantee objective existence in the external world.

    Therefore, the existence of something purely in the mind does not make it "real" in the sense that it exists objectively in the external world.


    Quote Originally Posted by SillySapienne View Post
    Are you a solipsist?

    No, but I do agree with the proposition that my own mind is the only thing I can know for sure exists. I do consider it highly probable that other things outside my mind also exist, but I cannot know this for certain.

    Unfortunately, this lack of certainty prevents me from knowing any absolute truth beyond the facts that:
    A) My consciousness exists, and
    B) There are many things I do not and cannot know.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

  3. #273
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Third time:

    I used to think I knew everything; then I thought I knew everything when I thought no one knew anything; now I think that I know something since I know that no one knows whether they know anything, even if they know something.

    - Zarathustra, Myspace profile

  4. #274
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Third time:

    I used to think I knew everything; then I thought I knew everything when I thought no one knew anything; now I think that I know something since I know that no one knows whether they know anything, even if they know something.

    - Zarathustra, Myspace profile
    Is your point in repeatedly quoting this that you can know with absolute certainty that no one can be absolutely certain of anything (other than this one piece of knowledge)?
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

  5. #275
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    Unfortunately, this lack of certainty prevents me from knowing any absolute truth beyond the facts that:
    A) My consciousness exists, and
    B) There are many things I do not and cannot know.
    That all depends on your definition of "absolute".

    Read about Aristotle's four causes, and then read that Heidegger essay I recommended.

    Or the other way around, maybe...

  6. #276
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    Is your point in repeatedly quoting this that you can know with absolute certainty that no one can be absolutely certain of anything (other than this one piece of knowledge)?
    That, and that at the same time they indeed might know things.


  7. #277
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Which should lead me to prompt you to read Wittgenstein's "On Certainty".

  8. #278
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    That, and that at the same time they indeed might know things.

    And by that, do you mean that some things people believe may actually constitute absolute truth, but that there is no way those people could know for sure whether or not their beliefs constitute absolute truth?
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

  9. #279
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    And by that, do you mean that some things people believe may actually constitute absolute truth, but that there is no way those people could know for sure whether or not their beliefs constitute absolute truth?
    Precisely.

    How'd you know that?!?


  10. #280
    Tempbanned
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5 sx/so
    Posts
    8,162

    Default

    p.s. This whole issue of "absolute" truth vs other kinds of truth is, imo, well observed through Aristotle's four causes.

    And that Heidegger essay.

    Check em out.

Similar Threads

  1. [INTJ] Quotes, Songs, Commercials, GIFs
    By Nieland in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-24-2015, 09:21 PM
  2. [INTJ] INTJ Quote Of The Day
    By Mal12345 in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: 11-23-2012, 11:32 AM
  3. Words of Wisdom, Inspiring Quotes, etc
    By rivercrow in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 11-21-2008, 06:39 PM
  4. [MBTItm] Quote on Intution
    By heart in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-15-2007, 01:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO