• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

INTJ "Intelligent" Myth

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Btw people, all of this thinking can best be viewed through the lens of Aristotle's four causes...

So, remember that our ancestors were pretty brilliant people.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Isn't that kind of at odds with what you and Z were saying earlier in the thread about discerning perception vs. absolute truth?

Maybe you should try reading Heidegger.

Check out the essay "On the Essence of Truth".

Not easy reading, but it's illuminating.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
truth is perceived Reality

Truth = Reality

Yes, but since we cannot know anything about reality except via perception, how can we know anything about real truth or non-perceived reality?

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
But everything is, all perceptions exist.

Does the existence of somthing make it real?

Yes.

Are dreams real?

Oh dear, determinism and reductionistic reasoning make my mind go mushy-gushy

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Yes, but since we cannot know anything about reality except via perception, how can we know anything about real truth or non-perceived reality?

Once again:

I used to think I knew everything; then I thought I knew everything when I thought no one knew anything; now I think that I know something since I know that no one knows whether they know anything, even if they know something.

- Zarathustra, Myspace profile

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Alright, I've thoroughly enjoyed this discussion, but I really must be leaving.

Peace out, nuckas!

SillySapienne

`~~Philosoflying~~`
MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
4w5
Are you a solipsist?

:thelook:

hahahaha, oy vey, good points, good points, this conversation needs to happen in a comfy room, with beverages and ambient music in the background.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
But everything is, all perceptions exist.

Does the existence of somthing make it real?

Yes.

You're playing with different shades of the meaning of the word "real" here. It kind of reminds me of St. Anselm's ontological argument and the way it just plays with different meanings of the word "great" in order to establish a faulty conclusion about the existence of God.

And as part of that argument states, there is a difference between objective existence in the external world and subjective existence purely in the mind.

All perceptions exist subjectively in the mind, but such perceptions do not guarantee objective existence in the external world.

Therefore, the existence of something purely in the mind does not make it "real" in the sense that it exists objectively in the external world.

Are you a solipsist?

:thelook:

No, but I do agree with the proposition that my own mind is the only thing I can know for sure exists. I do consider it highly probable that other things outside my mind also exist, but I cannot know this for certain.

Unfortunately, this lack of certainty prevents me from knowing any absolute truth beyond the facts that:
A) My consciousness exists, and
B) There are many things I do not and cannot know.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Third time:

I used to think I knew everything; then I thought I knew everything when I thought no one knew anything; now I think that I know something since I know that no one knows whether they know anything, even if they know something.

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
Third time:

Is your point in repeatedly quoting this that you can know with absolute certainty that no one can be absolutely certain of anything (other than this one piece of knowledge)?

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Unfortunately, this lack of certainty prevents me from knowing any absolute truth beyond the facts that:
A) My consciousness exists, and
B) There are many things I do not and cannot know.

That all depends on your definition of "absolute".

Read about Aristotle's four causes, and then read that Heidegger essay I recommended.

Or the other way around, maybe...

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Is your point in repeatedly quoting this that you can know with absolute certainty that no one can be absolutely certain of anything (other than this one piece of knowledge)?

That, and that at the same time they indeed might know things.

:jew:

simulatedworld

Freshman Member
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
That, and that at the same time they indeed might know things.

And by that, do you mean that some things people believe may actually constitute absolute truth, but that there is no way those people could know for sure whether or not their beliefs constitute absolute truth?

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
And by that, do you mean that some things people believe may actually constitute absolute truth, but that there is no way those people could know for sure whether or not their beliefs constitute absolute truth?

Precisely.

How'd you know that?!?

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
p.s. This whole issue of "absolute" truth vs other kinds of truth is, imo, well observed through Aristotle's four causes.

And that Heidegger essay.

Check em out.