User Tag List

First 311121314152363 Last

Results 121 to 130 of 793

  1. #121
    Senior Member Jaguar's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    Posts
    12,420

    Default

    You mean the night has come and gone and the penis is still on the table? Lol.

  2. #122
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,131

    Default

    *grumbles* I haven't gotten what's mine yet today....

    but I must say, to be somewhat relevant, that since most people fall near the middle of the spectrum naturally (and then they end up getting different views of themselves, which screws with the self reporting bias... :steam that this is pretty irrelevant- hardly anyone is an extreme N or S... you need BOTH to be intelligent and successful- otherwise you're full of ideas with no means of implementation, or great at carrying out other people's thoughts but lacking any vision
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

  3. #123
    Listening Oaky's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so
    Socionics
    SLI None
    Posts
    6,168

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Metamorphosis View Post
    This, to me, is ridiculous. I never really cared about being the smartest. In fact, I expended a lot of effort in school trying NOT to stand out for it. The truth is that we appear intelligent because our society judges intelligence in a way that benefits our natural thought processes. I basically didn't give a shit about anything I learned in school until I went to college where I got a "useless" humanities degree.
    Hmmm. I had not said all INTJs were like this. I said many. More so than any other type except probably INTPs. I too, can give examples of INTJs who are not like what I had described.

  4. #124
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    The fact of the matter is that while there are different kinds of intelligences, certain kinds of intelligence help you "get ahead" in the world more than others.
    =implied Te value judgment. The value you've placed on "getting ahead" in the world here is biased by an unsubstantiated assumption that Te's goals are better than those of other judgment functions.

    The fact that Te intelligence grants more wealth/power/influence/whatever it is that Te-ers are into merely indicates that this particular societal structure rewards that value system more than others--it has very little to do with the inherent worth of different types of intelligence.


    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Yes, there are multiple intelligences.

    But there's also a reason why NT intelligence is thought of as the most general form of "intelligence".
    Yup, and that's that the types whose self-image depends most heavily on believing themselves to be intelligent are the ones who spend the most time and effort developing tests and methods of measuring intelligence. Not surprisingly, the instruments they come up with tend to test only one kind of intelligence: their own.

    There aren't many tests for Se intelligence because Se-oriented people, by and large, don't give a shit about proving their intelligence to others because it's not crucial to their self-image the way it is to NTs.

    There are a number of other reasons NT intelligence is often mistaken for "general" intelligence--not the least significant of which lies in the fact that NTs grow up thinking they're smarter than everyone because NT intelligence is the only kind we test on a mass scale. (The SAT, IQ tests, etc.) NTs build "I'm smarter than everyone and that makes me valuable" into their concepts of self-worth and thus don't learn to acknowledge the existence or value of other kinds of intelligence. Admitting that they don't have a monopoly on the very thing they pride themselves on most is awfully threatening to the NT self-image.

    So many people grow up with a limited impression of what intelligence is. They're told, "This number represents your mental capacity, period." In actuality it only represents that person's capacity in performing NT-related tasks, which, of course, correlate with only one of many kinds of intelligence.

    Is an Ni dom really telling me I'm slipping too far into relativism?
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

  5. #125
    Dreaming the life onemoretime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Zarathustra View Post
    Sim, while I know your point, I would also be wary of slipping too far into relativism with regards to multiple intelligences.

    Yes, there are multiple intelligences.

    But there's also a reason why NT intelligence is thought of as the most general form of "intelligence".
    Honest question, what is that reason? I can't come up with a good answer myself.

  6. #126
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Honest question, what is that reason? I can't come up with a good answer myself.
    The reason is just that that's how most people are taught to think. NTs score higher on standardized tests (which test only NT intelligence) and are told from a young age that they're special because of it.

    Other types are told that they're less intelligent because they don't score as well on tests of NT intelligence, so their cognitive gifts are marginalized. It's assumed (largely by NTJs, who usually design and control the testing methods) that other intelligences are less valid because they can't be measured empirically and quantified on a numerical scale.

    Typical Te: If you can't stick it in a test tube and quantify it, it's not real.

    The only real reason is that we've been taught to think that way...which the INTJs should know better than anyone is never a good enough reason to believe something.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

  7. #127
    Dreaming the life onemoretime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    The reason is just that that's how most people are taught to think. NTs score higher on standardized tests (which test only NT intelligence) and are told from a young age that they're special because of it.

    Other types are told that they're less intelligent because they don't score as well on tests of NT intelligence, so their cognitive gifts are marginalized. It's assumed (largely by NTJs, who usually design and control the testing methods) that other intelligences are less valid because they can't be measured empirically and quantified on a numerical scale.

    Typical Te: If you can't stick it in a test tube and quantify it, it's not real.

    The only real reason is that we've been taught to think that way...which the INTJs should know better than anyone is never a good enough reason to believe something.
    Unless Zarathustra's an alternate profile of yours, and I think a few posters on this board would be more than a little upset if that were the case, I'd prefer if you let him answer the question first. He's owed that level of respect, right?


  8. #128
    Freshman Member simulatedworld's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2008
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/so
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    5,554

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by onemoretime View Post
    Unless Zarathustra's an alternate profile of yours, and I think a few posters on this board would be more than a little upset if that were the case, I'd prefer if you let him answer the question first. He's owed that level of respect, right?

    I don't think my answer prevents him from sharing his own take on the issue. It's not as if my post's earlier number in the thread affects its validity.

    That said, no disrespect intended to Z. I'm interested in hearing his response too.
    If you could be anything you want, I bet you'd be disappointed--am I right?

  9. #129
    Dreaming the life onemoretime's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    MBTI
    3h50
    Socionics
    ILE
    Posts
    4,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by simulatedworld View Post
    I don't think my answer prevents him from sharing his own take on the issue. It's not as if my post's earlier number in the thread affects its validity.
    Yeah it does. It's saying that you think your ideas on the subject are more important than even the person whom the question was asked of. That's a little obnoxious, wouldn't you say?

  10. #130
    not to be trusted miss fortune's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    Enneagram
    827 sp/so
    Posts
    20,131

    Default



    well, I refuse to be an NT just because I score well on NT intelligence tests *grumbles*

    still, Sim's right
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Similar Threads

  1. [INTJ] Quotes, Songs, Commercials, GIFs
    By Nieland in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 09-24-2015, 09:21 PM
  2. [INTJ] INTJ Quote Of The Day
    By Mal12345 in forum The NT Rationale (ENTP, INTP, ENTJ, INTJ)
    Replies: 69
    Last Post: 11-23-2012, 11:32 AM
  3. Words of Wisdom, Inspiring Quotes, etc
    By rivercrow in forum The Fluff Zone
    Replies: 33
    Last Post: 11-21-2008, 06:39 PM
  4. [MBTItm] Quote on Intution
    By heart in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 10
    Last Post: 07-15-2007, 01:28 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO