• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Anne of Green Gables

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Oh please tell me someone has read the books and even seen the movie(s)!
Any who, I was so inspired by Anne's personality, that I felt like typing her and everyone else in the story.

Anne Shirley: ENFP
Marilla Cuthbert: ISTJ
Matthew Cuthbert: ISTP (maybe ISFP?)
Diana Barry: ESFJ
Gilbert Blythe: ?? (really not sure, but isn't he dreamy? :wubbie:)
Mrs. Rachel Lynde: ESFJ

Please, come in and change it or whatever. I'm not entirely sure of my own answers, so let's get this going :)

Last edited:

Rhapsody

MBTI Type
INFP
I agree with everything except for Gilbert, who I thought was ENTP.

Then again, I only read halfway through the series, so maybe his S becomes more prominent later? It's also been a really long time since I read the books, so I am going off a memory and a vibe more than anything else. I agree that he is really dreamy. :D

I also loved Anne's personality. I wanted to be her when I was a kid. I really need to finish the series some day ...

Rhapsody

MBTI Type
INFP
Oh yeah, I don't know whether Matthew was T or F. I'm going to say F, since he seemed to be the soft-hearted balance to Marilla's hardness.

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Yeah, I read the books quite a long time ago, but have watched the movies more recently. So I don't remember Gilberts actual mind process. So he could very well be an ENTP, I just don't remember :tongue:.

Yeah, I was wondering if Matthew wasn't just a plain ol' F. So I suppose it's safe to say that he's an ISFP?

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
HA! As a Canadian maritimer, this amuses me. I had to visit Green Gables every summer with my family when I was younger. lol

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
Was it beautiful in person or did they just work it up for the stories?

Forever_Jung

MBTI Type
ESFJ
Well it IS beautiful, but everything nice in PEI is ruined with tacky tourism :(

Rhapsody

MBTI Type
INFP
I've seen Anne typed as an INFP before, but I'm just not seeing the "I" in her. When she's younger she talks non-stop (the epitome of Ne-dom gregariousness), and as she matures, IIRC, she becomes known for her charm and seems to connect to people with ease and is in no way shy or insecure. I also remember her as being more impulsive and assertive than an INFP would be.

Why do people think she's an introvert? Is it because of her inner fantasy world?

ayoitsStepho - I don't know if I can say Matthew is F with 100% confidence, so I'll wait for someone else to chime in on that. =P

And I always wanted to go to PEI and Green Gables. Alas for tacky tourism. :(

ayoitsStepho

Twerking & Lurking
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
4w3
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
I actually agree with Rhapsody about Anne being an E. I see nothing "I" about her. Myrilla usually had to tell Anne to shut up, lol. But I see her as an ENFP way more than an INFP, especially for the same reasons listed above.

MonkeyGrass

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
Anne was an I, totally. Let's not forget that she kept basically the same close friend or two throughout all the books. INFP/Js can talk you ears off, especially if you're within their circle of trust. Anne actually got along kind of poorly with other girls besides her cherished few, I think.

She had a very polished social outside which she pulled out for performance, but her real thoughts and emotions were reserved for her close knit circle, I think.

heart

heart on fire
She's got to be the quintessential ENFP.

Jane Eyre (in the novel) is INFP.

Look at the difference between them! :shock:

Velvet_Rose

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Being an I is not necessarily about being talkative, comfortable in social situations, etc, which would be about being shy vs. not shy. As an introvert myself, I find that I am comfortable in social situations and that I can be VERY talkative (I used to hold imaginary conversations with my sister for an hour on end, yes aloud, which always amused her.) Introverts draw energy from inside themselves, which Anne often (at least in the book) explicitly claims to do. (In the case of her life at Mrs. Hammond's, especially, when she had no friends or even anyone friendly about.) And you may notice that Anne is only talkative with a person that she felt was a kindred spirit (Marilla, Matthew, Mrs. Stacy, Mrs. Allen, Diana), which is something Introverts are known for. As MonkeyGrass pointed out, she also had a very few close friends for so long (which I am also guilty of) though in the book she was liked by many, which I was as well when I went to public school.

I can see where the argument can be made for Extraversion. As a child I would most likely have been classified as one as well, but only if based upon my tendency to make new friends quickly and to talk your ear off about abstract things quite eagerly. However, like Anne, I found that the older I got the more I preferred to simply think my thoughts than to speak them aloud. (She tells Marilla this in the book.)

aisa

MBTI Type
xNFP
Oh please tell me someone has read the books and even seen the movie(s)!
Any who, I was so inspired by Anne's personality, that I felt like typing her and everyone else in the story.

Anne Shirley: ENFP
Matthew Cuthbert: ISTP (maybe ISFP?)
Diana Barry: ESFJ
Gilbert Blythe: ?? (really not sure, but isn't he dreamy? :wubbie:)
Mrs. Rachel Lynde: ESFJ

Please, come in and change it or whatever. I'm not entirely sure of my own answers, so let's get this going :)

ummm, I'd say:
Anne Shirley: INFP
Matthew Cuthbert: ISFP
Diana Barry: ESFJ (possibly)
Gilbert Blythe: ENFP
Mrs. Rachel Lynde: ESTJ (possibly)

not sure about Diana Barry and Mrs. Rachel Lynde, but when it comes to the rest - pretty darn sure given I'm a confirmed INFP married to a confirmed ENFP, my mother is a confirmed ISTJ and my father a confirmed ISFP ;)

never actually wondered about it until I read your post, but yeah that sounds accurate

when it comes to Gilbert being an ENFP - ENFPs may seem much more extraverted and careless on the outside than they really are and Gilbert really resembles my husband
and Anne... oh well, it's a myth that INFPs can't seem extraverted - we can, but the key here is what was already mentioned by a few people above - INFPs can act crazy, fun and spontaneous once they feel safe with the people around them and a few trusted friends is pretty much all we need and cherish throughtout our lives
and her imagination... oh well, I can get so lost in thought or conversation that there were times when other people pretty much saved me from walking under a tram... ;)

A

Anew Leaf

I always thought Gilbert seemed kind of ENTP in that mawkish way they can be mean and as soon as their careless arrows of wit entrench in a target and there are Consequences then you are left to deal with the emo puppy pieces as they follow you around like magnets running after Iron Pylons.

Anne... I can go either way on her for being INFP or ENFP. Overall I still think she's more INFP... with an sx dom magnifying the Ne-ness.

Diana - ISFJ
Rachel Lynde - ESFJ (I don't think an ESTJ would have had that same outraged reaction to Anne's hilarious take-down of her 10 min into the book :laugh:)

plastic ciel

MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Anne: ENFP
Gilbert: ENTP?
Marilla: ISTJ
Matthew: ISxx
Rachel: ESFJ