User Tag List

First 12

MBTI
    INFP

I've seen Anne typed as an INFP before, but I'm just not seeing the "I" in her. When she's younger she talks non-stop (the epitome of Ne-dom gregariousness), and as she matures, IIRC, she becomes known for her charm and seems to connect to people with ease and is in no way shy or insecure. I also remember her as being more impulsive and assertive than an INFP would be.

Why do people think she's an introvert? Is it because of her inner fantasy world?

ayoitsStepho - I don't know if I can say Matthew is F with 100% confidence, so I'll wait for someone else to chime in on that. =P

And I always wanted to go to PEI and Green Gables. Alas for tacky tourism.
    Likes Alassea liked this post

Twerking & Lurking ayoitsStepho's Avatar
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    4w3 so/sx

I actually agree with Rhapsody about Anne being an E. I see nothing "I" about her. Myrilla usually had to tell Anne to shut up, lol. But I see her as an ENFP way more than an INFP, especially for the same reasons listed above.
    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    ayoitsStepho is becoming someone else. Actually her true self, a rite of passage.

MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram

Anne was an I, totally. Let's not forget that she kept basically the same close friend or two throughout all the books. INFP/Js can talk you ears off, especially if you're within their circle of trust. Anne actually got along kind of poorly with other girls besides her cherished few, I think.

She had a very polished social outside which she pulled out for performance, but her real thoughts and emotions were reserved for her close knit circle, I think.
    I think I think more than you think I think.

heart on fire

She's got to be the quintessential ENFP.

Jane Eyre (in the novel) is INFP.

Look at the difference between them!

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Socionics
    INFj Ne

Being an I is not necessarily about being talkative, comfortable in social situations, etc, which would be about being shy vs. not shy. As an introvert myself, I find that I am comfortable in social situations and that I can be VERY talkative (I used to hold imaginary conversations with my sister for an hour on end, yes aloud, which always amused her.) Introverts draw energy from inside themselves, which Anne often (at least in the book) explicitly claims to do. (In the case of her life at Mrs. Hammond's, especially, when she had no friends or even anyone friendly about.) And you may notice that Anne is only talkative with a person that she felt was a kindred spirit (Marilla, Matthew, Mrs. Stacy, Mrs. Allen, Diana), which is something Introverts are known for. As MonkeyGrass pointed out, she also had a very few close friends for so long (which I am also guilty of) though in the book she was liked by many, which I was as well when I went to public school.

I can see where the argument can be made for Extraversion. As a child I would most likely have been classified as one as well, but only if based upon my tendency to make new friends quickly and to talk your ear off about abstract things quite eagerly. However, like Anne, I found that the older I got the more I preferred to simply think my thoughts than to speak them aloud. (She tells Marilla this in the book.)

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by heart View Post
    She's got to be the quintessential ENFP.

Jane Eyre (in the novel) is INFP.

Look at the difference between them!
    totally agree!

Anne is the ultimate INFP.
    I really like cats and food.

MBTI
    xNFP
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by ayoitsStepho View Post
    Oh please tell me someone has read the books and even seen the movie(s)!
    Any who, I was so inspired by Anne's personality, that I felt like typing her and everyone else in the story.

Anne Shirley: ENFP
    Marilla Cuthbert: ISTJ
    Matthew Cuthbert: ISTP (maybe ISFP?)
    Diana Barry: ESFJ
    Gilbert Blythe: ?? (really not sure, but isn't he dreamy? )
    Mrs. Rachel Lynde: ESFJ

Please, come in and change it or whatever. I'm not entirely sure of my own answers, so let's get this going
    ummm, I'd say:
    Anne Shirley: INFP
    Marilla Cuthbert: ISTJ
    Matthew Cuthbert: ISFP
    Diana Barry: ESFJ (possibly)
    Gilbert Blythe: ENFP
    Mrs. Rachel Lynde: ESTJ (possibly)

not sure about Diana Barry and Mrs. Rachel Lynde, but when it comes to the rest - pretty darn sure given I'm a confirmed INFP married to a confirmed ENFP, my mother is a confirmed ISTJ and my father a confirmed ISFP

never actually wondered about it until I read your post, but yeah that sounds accurate

when it comes to Gilbert being an ENFP - ENFPs may seem much more extraverted and careless on the outside than they really are and Gilbert really resembles my husband
    and Anne... oh well, it's a myth that INFPs can't seem extraverted - we can, but the key here is what was already mentioned by a few people above - INFPs can act crazy, fun and spontaneous once they feel safe with the people around them and a few trusted friends is pretty much all we need and cherish throughtout our lives
    and her imagination... oh well, I can get so lost in thought or conversation that there were times when other people pretty much saved me from walking under a tram...

Anew Leaf

I always thought Gilbert seemed kind of ENTP in that mawkish way they can be mean and as soon as their careless arrows of wit entrench in a target and there are Consequences then you are left to deal with the emo puppy pieces as they follow you around like magnets running after Iron Pylons.

Anne... I can go either way on her for being INFP or ENFP. Overall I still think she's more INFP... with an sx dom magnifying the Ne-ness.

Diana - ISFJ
    Rachel Lynde - ESFJ (I don't think an ESTJ would have had that same outraged reaction to Anne's hilarious take-down of her 10 min into the book )

MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    8w9 sp/sx

Anne: ENFP
    Gilbert: ENTP?
    Marilla: ISTJ
    Matthew: ISxx
    Rachel: ESFJ
    Diana: ISFJ

And from the books...
    Leslie West: Depressed ExFP stuck in IxTJ shadow