First 12

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    5&4 sx
    Socionics
    INFj

Quote Originally Posted by dynamiteninja View Post
    I'm open on the other two, partic. Kerouac, can you explain how you came to these conclusions?
    Kerouac's writing style.

For On the Road, he wrote as his thoughts came to him, and the original manuscript had no form and no real syntax. He just wrote in a sort of stream-of-consciousness way, and the story wasn't tailored or refined at all but just a scroll of text, really. I doubt an INFP would accept that. Ne would kick in and we'd start picking apart how exactly we could reach a more perfect idea of whatever our idea is (disillusioned with the reality of what we've created - doesn't match the dream), if that makes any sense. We tend to have some perfectionist tendencies when it comes to something we care about or believe in, and we tend to be overly analytical about those things, sometimes to a fault. Also, much of Road is autobiographical, thus I doubt too that an INFP would be hopping from Colorado to San Fran to Mexico and back just for the thrill of it, or to salve his loneliness. I've seen that more in ISFPs, even ESFPs, I know: they use a change in scenery and material things or more sensory, more external sources to resolve whatever emotional issues they're engaged in. I can't really see that happening for the more "cerebral" INFP, which is probably why we have a reputation for being the "brooding" type.

Frankly, I don't know what Kerouac believes in, and I think I'd get some indication of that from FiNe but not necessarily FiSe.

Whitman, however, could go both ways. It's just that I've always seen him as FiSe. I can't explain why, but if I come up with a better reason than "I just feel like that's right" I'll come back.

Man for all seasons dynamiteninja's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by neptunesnet View Post
    Kerouac's writing style.

For On the Road, he wrote as his thoughts came to him, and the original manuscript had no form and no real syntax. He just wrote in a sort of stream-of-consciousness way, and the story wasn't tailored or refined at all but just a scroll of text, really. I doubt an INFP would accept that. Ne would kick in and we'd start picking apart how exactly we could reach a more perfect idea of whatever our idea is (disillusioned with the reality of what we've created - doesn't match the dream), if that makes any sense. We tend to have some perfectionist tendencies when it comes to something we care about or believe in, and we tend to be overly analytical about those things, sometimes to a fault. Also, much of Road is autobiographical, thus I doubt too that an INFP would be hopping from Colorado to San Fran to Mexico and back just for the thrill of it, or as a salve to his loneliness. I've seen that more in ISFPs, even ESFPs, I know: they use a change in scenery and material things or more sensory, more external sources to resolve whatever emotional issues they're engaged in. I can't really see that happening for the more "cerebral" INFP, which is probably why we have a reputation for being the "brooding" type.

Frankly, I don't know what Kerouac believes in, and I think I'd get some indication of that from FiNe but not necessarily FiSe.

Whitman, however, could go both ways. It's just that I've always seen him as FiSe. I can't explain why, but if I come up with a better reason than "I just feel like that's right" I'll come back.
    I'm sold on Kerouac. I've changed my database so the next time I repost this he'll be an ISFP.
    4w5 sp

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Litvyak View Post
    Kafka is INfP.

Also, how can you type Homer? He was either one person, two, or he (they) never even existed. We don't know anything about him except that he was supposedly blind and told stories.
    Well that one comes from a site with a few typings on it. I guess you can sometimes type someone based upon their works? I don't think that I would defend that assertion too boldly however.
    4w5 sp

MBTI
    intj

Has anyone read anything by A.S. Byatt? I think DN might have mentioned her in one of the previous discussions on an older list, though she's not on the main list (yet!)

Anyway, any idea what type she might be?
    (I think IxxJ, after watching some interviews on youtube too.. as for the rest, hmm.)

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4

INTPs... They're all gloomy! *Grabs a batman cape and starts brooding* Not really. (Especially since Batman's an ISTP) I think I'm starting to get the impression that INTPs are created by some sort of insane amount of gloominess/psychological stress... If some archetype had to be it, it might as well be INTP. (I've heard that Eeyore is an ISTJ, however.)

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    Socionics
    ILI

Let's try...

Nicholas Sparks.

After discovering this interview: Nicholas Sparks, Miley Cyrus share a 'Last Song' love story - USATODAY.com

Where he equates himself to Hemingway, His novels to Greek tragedies, bashes Cormac McCarthy and cites his own novel as his "favorite tale of youth" - I'm curious.

Which type is most likely to spew douchedom in such a manner?

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by elehci View Post
    Has anyone read anything by A.S. Byatt? I think DN might have mentioned her in one of the previous discussions on an older list, though she's not on the main list (yet!)

Anyway, any idea what type she might be?
    (I think IxxJ, after watching some interviews on youtube too.. as for the rest, hmm.)
    INxJ....not sure about Te or Fe, but leaning towards Fe.
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

MBTI
    ERTP

so DN why isnt cervantes an enfp?
    best collection of philosopher typings online

http://www.celebritytypes.com/philosophers/

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by Blackwater View Post
    so DN why isnt cervantes an enfp?
    These are other peoples' suggestions as much (if not more) as mine. I'm simply its self-appointed editor. I forget who suggested what exactly now its been so long... I'm sure if you search for it you'll find your answer...
    4w5 sp

Lol, I love how Stephenie Meyer is actually on this list. I guess the ESFPs needed someone to represent them...

In all seriousness, I think Coatzee's an INTJ. I thought he was an F before I read Disgrace because of his strong stances on animal rights, but changed my mind when I met sincerely vegetarian INTP's and, well, found out he used to be a computer programmer. So I was content to see him as an INTP...but then I read up on him some more. He is apparently an incredibly scheduled person when it comes to writing and exercise - almost slavishly so - and is, well (okay, there's no nice way to say this) almost robotic in interviews. An Ne user would "emote" more, especially if they use Fe as well. His sparse, unornamented writing style also bespeaks an inferior S.

My gut feeling is that Atwood is an INTJ as well. Again, she has that monotone voice, plus her eyes tend to drift upwards and to the left (apparently a sign of Ni). Of course, that isn't enough evidence to slot her in for sure (counter arguments are welcome); it's just a hunch. But I'd bet money on it.