• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

Are we over-assigning N to people here?

Are we over-assigning N to people here?

• Total voters

compulsiverambler

Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Good points.

I definitely think Ns are more likely to be writers. And Innies.
They're probably more likely to be fiction writers, but I imagine writers of things like encyclopaedias, technical manuals and cookery and crafts books are more likely to be Ss. I think journalists and economic and business authors are disproportionately Sensing too, as most Ns I know don't follow any of that as often or intently as Sensors of broadly equal education and intelligence, and the experts just appear to be Sensors to me more often. I happen to be an anomaly of my own alleged trend there, but no matter.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
They're probably more likely to be fiction writers, but I imagine writers of things like encyclopaedias, technical manuals and cookery and crafts books are more likely to be Ss. I think journalists and economic and business authors are disproportionately Sensing too, as most Ns I know don't follow any of that as often or intently as Sensors of broadly equal education and intelligence. I happen to be an anomaly of my own espoused trend there, but no matter.

Yeah, I'd say it's Fs in addition to Ns with the sci fi. And NTs with the non-finction.

And SJs with the technical manuals!! *butt of every joke*

Sorry! We can't all be flawless Ti-doms, now can we?

But ya wake up, every day, now don't cha!! So proud. :hug:

heh. i wasn't talking about you.

why? should i be?

You're totally an N!

Thalassa

Permabanned
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx
About 25% of people are Ns, but in these threads, N gets assigned to about 75% of people, it seems. Introversion too, a lot. Is it because since we're a bunch of Ns, that we just like typing other Ns, or is it a bias that makes us want to type people we like as Ns like us?

Are artists putting out false N vibes of appearing "deep" and introspective, but are not?

I think there are some supposed Ns on here which may be Ss...I think at one point I would have even been open to thinking that I'm an SP, but I'm just not. I used to drive my SP ex INSANE with all of my theorizing and my "over-analyzing" and my nerdiness.

I think N gets assigned here a lot because there are actually a disproportionate amount of Ns who frequent this site. I don't think the ratio on this site is a reflection of the broader population IRL.

Little_Sticks

Ugh...

You guys haven't even established what intuition means in terms of behavior. The key point of all of this typology is with the basic behavior of the individual.

Disclaimer: My quotes aren't to pick on anyone. I'm using them as data to make a point.

For example, given the following:

Oh, yeah, you can put an S in your type .. .. if you're completely shallow, unable to grasp theoretical concepts, stubborn and set in your ways, and subservient to your instincts.

See this is irrelevant. There's no reason an intuitive won't have these traits. What would make the difference is seeing the behavior of the person in terms of possibility. An intuitive would show a greater disconnect from the sensory world that is in their behaviors with other people.

What this means is that in regards to Ne, it would seem it results in an atmosphere that is comfortable being loose with the facts and willing to enjoy the many jumpy connections that can be made with things, regardless of whether they are necessarily right or practical; and whether they are right or not or better or not than Se only serves to inflate an ego and has nothing concrete to substantiate its claim; it's also irrelevant.

With Ni I would imagine it is more focused on determining what will happen given past data, as well as constantly determining what everything really means (what everyone's true motives, goals, and intentions are); its focus in behavior is 'perspective'; it asks what perspective represents the truth of the situation? Thus the behavior you get from this shows a great willingness to change one's perspective given the appropriate data; and a great confidence if the perspective is not met with adequate resistance. It will most likely in behavior be the most detached out of the four functions Ni, Ne, Si, and Se. Ni people will most likely want to sustain a general position of neutrality and only act out when they feel they know enough about a situation to judge correctly and accurately what is wrong with a situation and what should be done.

Both Ni and Ne are quite irrational when looked at this way. But irrational here does not at all imply illogical.

Then you have Si and Se.

Si has no desire to make the irrational leaps that Ni does. It sees what is and is okay not looking at it any further than what is known. These people are more likely to display a behavior more resistant to change because what isn't known is uncertain and irrational to them; their behaviors are very tuned into what is true. They want to do what is expected of them because expectations are built on facts of what is known and is certain to be true. Anything outside of that is considered dangerous and has to go through great scrutiny and come out unscathed. Conclusions based on perspective are not to be trusted. And any anecdotes or further drawn-out conclusions about their intelligence or how narrow-minded they are are also unsubstantiated and irrelevant; that is not their defining basis.

And then you have Se. Se is crazy! Haha, just kidding. Se enjoys activities that meld the senses with human intellect. Their behaviors want to utilize their senses when learning or doing something. It is fun to these people to have a lot of external stimuli connected with their experiences and thoughts. So they often do activities that are high-energy and often involves physical activity and physical health and lots of interaction between people and things. Their experience and learning of the world is going to be very different than Ne which gets its enjoyment out of its more esoteric liberations. And again, anything concluded upon beyond this is going to be a stereotype or generalization that shouldn't be considered if trying to accurately describe the difference between the different functions or people with behavior and nothing else.

And although I know the probability that no one will agree with me and that this will just get battered into some abstract intuitive concrete wall where everyone starts chanting that nothing can be certain and making a mess of something that is supposed to stay in the realm of what's practical, I wanted to at least get this out their because this is the biggest problem many intuitives have with type theory. It shouldn't be considered outside of it's very basics if it wishes to remain practical and avoid stereotyping and witch-hunts of what is and isn't certain types and functions.

EJCC

The Devil of TypoC
MBTI Type
ESTJ
Enneagram
1w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I think a lot of it might have to do with this thought:

"Hey, you're a forum poster! People who like foruming are usually N, 'cause Sensors are always the sorts of people who would rather be off doing things in the real world, which is why Sensors don't like books or the internet, and why Sensors control the System, government, etc. Therefore, you must be N!"

Sigh... :dont:

But yeah, even the mistyping that isn't related to the previous quote is still, in my opinion, based on stereotyping. For example, even though I've been certain of my type since before I came to TypeC, I've had a bunch of people say things to me along the lines of "You seem too... nice. You act like ENFPs I know, not like the ESTJs that emotionally abuse me at work. Are you an NF?" And I'm like "No... :confused:"

compulsiverambler

Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Yeah, I'd say it's Fs in addition to Ns with the sci fi. And NTs with the non-finction.

And SJs with the technical manuals!! *butt of every joke*
Hmm, I don't really envision many Ns writing most genres of non-fiction, not for long or as their dream job. Almost every adult lover of encyclopaedias and documentaries I know is an S. But then, I don't see many threads typing non-fiction writers, can only think of Gordon Ramsey from a little while ago, so this can't explain why most famous people are typed N here anyway.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I think a lot of it might have to do with this thought:

"Hey, you're a forum poster! People who like foruming are usually N, 'cause Sensors are always the sorts of people who would rather be off doing things in the real world, which is why Sensors don't like books or the internet, and why Sensors control the System, government, etc. Therefore, you must be N!"

Sigh... :dont:

But yeah, even the mistyping that isn't related to the previous quote is still, in my opinion, based on stereotyping. For example, even though I've been certain of my type since before I came to TypeC, I've had a bunch of people say things to me along the lines of "You seem too... nice. You act like ENFPs I know, not like the ESTJs that emotionally abuse me at work. Are you an NF?" And I'm like "No... :confused:"

After seeing that video of you, I can totally see how you would be saying this. Nice style.... for a sensor. ;)

Hmm, I don't really envision many Ns writing most genres of non-fiction, not for long anyway. Almost every adult lover of encyclopaedias and documentaries I know is an S.

Think about really big picture non-fiction topics though. Like The God Delusion. Or What's the Matter with Kansas?

compulsiverambler

Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Think about really big picture non-fiction topics though. Like The God Delusion. Or What's the Matter with Kansas?
I've always seen Richard Dawkins as an SJ myself.

What's his motive for all of it? He cares passionately about what's true, in his own words. Not even just truths that have a demonstrated effect on people's lives, and more even than about what might make people happier overall. He thinks bedtime fairy tales are poisoning children's minds with their dangerous non-reality... he's like an SJ extremist. :D Plus, reading about him as a child, he comes across as much more of an Si-variety nerd than any other kind.

He employs a lot of metaphor in his writing but that doesn't necessarily prove a preference. I suspect that with his level and style of education that producing good imaginative and poetic writing is so rewarding to him partly because it contributes to a proud tradition of high quality literature that he knows his life was enriched by and that he can now give back to. And you can happily indulge in a function that isn't your first or second preference now and then. I have a thing about memorising maps.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
I've always seen Richard Dawkins as an SJ myself.

What's his motive for all of it? He cares passionately about what's true, in his own words. Not even just truths that have a demonstrated effect on people's lives, and more even than about what might make people happier overall. He thinks bedtime fairy tales are poisoning children's minds with their dangerous non-reality... he's like an SJ extremist. :D

Or he's very INTx. :yes:

He employs a lot of metaphor in his writing but that doesn't necessarily prove a preference. I suspect that with his high intelligence and level and style of education that producing good imaginative and poetic writing is partly a matter of contributing to a proud tradition of high quality literature for him. And you can happily indulge in a function that isn't your first or second preference now and then. I have a thing about memorising maps.

I see him as an INTJ. Me misses some of the NP style loftiness. Kind of literal sometimes. But his mental comfort zone is very abstract and far removed from the here and now.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
yeah... I've always wondered about the fact that people here seem so happy to assume that a sensor would NOT spend much time at a site like this on the internet... I have over 8,000 posts for goodness sake :doh:

I also agree with the statement that everyone wants to feel special so they rush for the "rarer" personality types as well... which I also think is silly because I think that there's more Ns in society than is usually assumed :rolleyes:

And then there's the assumption that if they "click" with you and understand what you're saying they MUST be an N too... Sensors aren't the dumb rock breaking idiots that they're sometimes stereotyped as being on the forum... we DO know how to read and understand what other people are saying, even if they ARE special and unique Ns! :holy:

And like proteanmix said in another thread a while back- I think that most people are pretty close to center line on S and N... it's just a testing bias that would suggest otherwise- it should be a rather nice bell curve :)

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
There probably are some people here that incorrectly believe that they are Ns but I don't think it is all that extreme. There are many ways to account for the bias.

There's no way on earth anyone would consider TC.com to be a realistic cross-section of society. The interest in subject matter and the internet in general sways the statistics a great deal. For one thing SJs make up the largest of the 4 type groups yet there are so few SJs here. From what I know of SJs, the internet is not a place they tend to spend hours and hours on a daily basis (though they might check specific things out here and there) nor is MBTI much of interest. My family's (a ESTJ, a ISFJ and a xSTP) eyes start to glaze over when I start talking about this stuff - they couldn't care less. I'm not saying that all sensors hate MBTI but they are less inclined to be interested in it, pure and simple. And there's nothing wrong with that - different strokes for different folks.

Personally, the reason I started looking into MBTI was for answers as to why my behaviour and thought process clashed with almost everyone I met. This thought process in itself is quite revealing and is probably common to most INxx - we naturally feel this way and ask these sorts of questions. It is, therefore, quite unsurprising to me that there are so many INxxs here.

I do wish that people would stop bagging sensors so much here. If I were a sensor and I read the negative crap others say about them, I wouldn't want to be one either. And it increases the likelihood for a borderline sensor to mistype as an intuitor through wishful thinking. People miss the point of MBTI: its about learning to understand and cater to differences not creating an opportunity for discrimination.

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I'm not saying that all sensors hate MBTI but they are less inclined to be interested in it, pure and simple. And there's nothing wrong with that - different strokes for different folks.

An enthusiastic Sensor explanation of the MBTI can interest ANYONE :devil:

I do that on a regular basis! :holy:

Southern Kross

Away with the fairies
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
An enthusiastic Sensor explanation of the MBTI can interest ANYONE :devil:

I do that on a regular basis! :holy:
Hmmm, that's interesting. You're right, the common explaination of MBTI (and of course mine also) could be swayed toward Ns. I'm interested to know, how do you think you approach it differently?

Fecal McAngry

Well Shit, you care enough.

We = forum members. And the only mythical person here is Victor.
I care very little. While I correct blatant mistakes from time to time, I generally only argue with the people bright enough to learn. If someone actually believes, for example, that Richard Dawkins is an SJ, and posts such on this forum, what's the point? The concept of triage applies here. While Wikefuckinpedia has a canonical text on the subject Triage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia the concept as originally practiced was very simple: divvy the incoming patients into three groups, those who are gonna be fine without your immediate help, those who are gonna croak no matter what, and those who stand a chance of survival but only with prompt medical care...

miss fortune

not to be trusted
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
Hmmm, that's interesting. You're right, the common explaination of MBTI (and of course mine also) could be swayed toward Ns. I'm interested to know, how do you think you approach it differently?

most descriptions given describe functions in rather vague ways instead of using real world examples, which make the MBTI a lot more fun and interesting to someone in tune with the real world :yes:

more intuitives would probably find that approach at least interesting as well!

compulsiverambler

Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
sp/so
I care very little. While I correct blatant mistakes from time to time, I generally only argue with the people bright enough to learn. If someone actually believes, for example, that Richard Dawkins is an SJ, and posts such on this forum, what's the point? The concept of triage applies here. While Wikefuckinpedia has a canonical text on the subject Triage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia the concept as originally practiced was very simple: divvy the incoming patients into three groups, those who are gonna be fine without your immediate help, those who are gonna croak no matter what, and those who stand a chance of survival but only with prompt medical care...
Wow, you crawled out of your own arse for long enough to type that? Or is there room up there for your computer too these days?

Frank

If you're talking about assigning types to famous people, it's probably because intuition is more common amongst artists (writers, musicians, etc.) Also, maybe there's a reason that N's are overrepresented in books/movies? I don't think it's that we're typing wrong, I think it's that writers of fiction tend to create more N characters, perhaps because the writers tend to be N's themselves.

If you're talking about forum members, it's probably because N's are more interested in personality typing, to the point of going on forums to discuss it. A lot of this is very theoretical and concept based, so it makes sense that it would appeal to N's.

I always thought the bolded was equally, if not more, made up of sp's. Also this environment has a serious case of N worship overall. Of course we are going to want to put an n on anything "creative" or "exceptional".