User Tag List

View Poll Results: Are we over-assigning N to people here?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

    50 73.53%
  • No

    18 26.47%
First 678910 Last

Results 71 to 80 of 150

  1. #71
    Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp
    Posts
    2,912

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Kai View Post
    I don't think we're over-assigning tremendously if we're looking at the population who actually post on this forum. While members might have an incorrect type at the beginning, over time they'll probably figure out what their true type is as they delve deeper into the theory.

    I know for myself... I went through all the IXSX types before finally arriving at ISFJ. It took reading the profile several times, for all of it to finally click together. Reading up about functions only helped cement my understanding. While at times I wished to be an INFJ for the reasons mentioned earlier, what I wish for and what I am are two totally different matters. It doesn't really matter anymore.

    People who are honest with themselves and seek to understand themselves will eventually find their true type. People here are more likely to be interested in seeking out the truth about their personality than others, so I figure it's not totally inaccurate.

    I guess if you really want to figure out things statistically. Just use the members with +100 or +200 to determine the population.
    I'm starting to think that more needs to be done with MBTI in regards to sensors. A lot of the inutitor talk and biased tests/descriptions has really been detrimental for you guys. I wish that everyone would feel fulfillment and satisfaction in discovering their type rather than it be something you have to come to terms with. It really sucks that you've been made to feel that way.

    I guess we need more sensors writing about MBTI. I think we could all benefit from their insights.

  2. #72
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Posts
    3,278

    Default

    It's out of control..
    people who are drawn to performance arts would most likely be performance artists.. ESFPs

    And artists.. well they are artists.. ISFPs

    The reasoning that types will be drawn to works of their types is flawed and fancyful.
    Just because I might be an INFP and Like Curt Cobain does not make him an INFP..

    Intuition is not synomunous with art nor with insight.

    Something else.. To be famous you have to be an oppurtunist often requiring stepping all over other people and being VERY aware of what's going on NOW

    I am nothing like Stephen King.. but I love his work.. I am nothing like Thom Yorke but I love his work.. I am nothing like Black Francis .. but yeah I love his work.

    And as mentioned in OP.. if sensors make up 75% of the population then They make up 75% of population and that includes famous people.

    Just my 2 cents on the issue

  3. #73
    Yeah, I can fly. Aleksei's Avatar
    Join Date
    Mar 2010
    MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Socionics
    ILE Ti
    Posts
    3,644

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    About 25% of people are Ns, but in these threads, N gets assigned to about 75% of people, it seems. Introversion too, a lot. Is it because since we're a bunch of Ns, that we just like typing other Ns, or is it a bias that makes us want to type people we like as Ns like us?

    Are artists putting out false N vibes of appearing "deep" and introspective, but are not?
    Intuitors just tend to be attracted to sites like this much more than sensors. We might have a bit of an N bias because we're Ns, but rest assured the majority of people here are Ns anyway, so it's no biggie.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

    Teacher (Idyllic), ESE-IEI (Si-ESFj), SLue|I|, Sanguine-Melancholy
    Sage, True Neutral (Chaotic Good), Type III Anti-Hero
    Inventive > Artistic > Leisurely > Dramatic
    7w6 > 4w3 > 9w8, weakside sp/so

    Dark Worker (Sacrificing)
    Freewheeling Designer

    Hayekian Asshole


  4. #74
    Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp
    Posts
    2,460

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by No Exit View Post
    Intuition is not synomunous with art nor with insight.

    Something else.. To be famous you have to be an oppurtunist often requiring stepping all over other people and being VERY aware of what's going on NOW

    And as mentioned in OP.. if sensors make up 75% of the population then They make up 75% of population and that includes famous people.

    Just my 2 cents on the issue
    this is really poor logic. one general population claim doesn't map onto smaller, more specific populations in perfect proportion.

    and the ""requiring stepping all over other people" is not true either. there are many examples of highly intuitive bands who have done things in a way that has been conscious of their ecological footprint, so to speak, aware of the way they effect others.

    also, intuition does have the capacity to produce a unique kind of insight. it's synonymous with the imagination, that's why it's NOT concrete. it's imagining something in the mind's eye, playing with it, simulating it internally, rather than focusing on what lies before you in terms of tangible, sensible objects. it abstracts because it can combine information from a wide variety of sources (in different domains), or process information from a wide variety of sources, simultaneously. it allows a smooth scaling when dealing with symbolic information, understanding how information can relate without spelling it out. it's the intuitive leap, you don't have to show your work, you can find a way to make them meaningful by imagining possibilities for meaningful connection and meaningful difference.

  5. #75
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Posts
    3,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by the state i am in View Post
    this is really poor logic. one general population claim doesn't map onto smaller, more specific populations in perfect proportion.

    and the ""requiring stepping all over other people" is not true either. there are many examples of highly intuitive bands who have done things in a way that has been conscious of their ecological footprint, so to speak, aware of the way they effect others.

    also, intuition does have the capacity to produce a unique kind of insight. it's synonymous with the imagination, that's why it's NOT concrete. it's imagining something in the mind's eye, playing with it, simulating it internally, rather than focusing on what lies before you in terms of tangible, sensible objects. it abstracts because it can combine information from a wide variety of sources (in different domains), or process information from a wide variety of sources, simultaneously. it allows a smooth scaling when dealing with symbolic information, understanding how information can relate without spelling it out. it's the intuitive leap, you don't have to show your work, you can find a way to make them meaningful by imagining possibilities for meaningful connection and meaningful difference.
    NO it is not poor logic.. You simply do not relate to it.. Someone who sees the bigger picture would understand how small and insignificant their own opinion truly is, and would qualify that everytime they expressed it.

    You express your opinion as fact.. I do not.. I leave my opinion open to being wrong or limited by my own perceptions.

    I would never say YOU are wrong.. only offer an alternative possiblity.

    Just look at our interaction concerning Leonard Cohen and tell me I am the one closed to possibilities .

  6. #76
    Was E.laur Laurie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp
    Posts
    6,075

    Default

    ^hahaha

  7. #77
    Banned
    Join Date
    Nov 2009
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5
    Posts
    3,278

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Aurel View Post
    ^hahaha
    Oh what a well thought out retort.. I expect nothing more from someone who can't see beyond their own nose..

    Of course that is just my opinion and you can think what you like!!

    See how easy it is?

  8. #78
    Was E.laur Laurie's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2009
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp
    Posts
    6,075

    Default

    Fi rooles don't apply to everyone. Not everyone agrees with your random phrase that supposedly makes all your nonsensical posts ok.

  9. #79
    @.~*virinaĉo*~.@ Totenkindly's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne
    Posts
    42,333

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Frank View Post
    I always thought the bolded was equally, if not more, made up of sp's. Also this environment has a serious case of N worship overall. Of course we are going to want to put an n on anything "creative" or "exceptional".
    Pretty much that is what happens. But as Jag also mentions (in regards to color), the aesthetic quality is going to demand some level of actually paying attention to detail.

    N is about making connections between things, not about being artistic or creative per se. It's just that creativity has as part of its components the ability to make connections between seemingly disparate things, so N's more naturally get tied to creativity.

    In art, generally I find that N's are more interested in subtext -- the work in some way reflects a lot of underlying connections moreso than the actual observable detail of the work. More suggestive. S's are more interested in the actual elements themselves, the more tangible and visible interaction. In general.

    But both are creative and artistic.

    And then you get the overlap, where (for example) some of the INFJs I know will, in their art, be far more structured (and I bet INTJ falls into this too) -- in their visual arts, they are literalists and practicalists... painting or drawing the exact detail of what is in front of them. But their personality is obviously INxJ. So you can't even say that someone who is an N will not do art more like a typical S.
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

    “Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

  10. #80
    Queen hunter Virtual ghost's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Posts
    8,678

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by No Exit View Post
    NO it is not poor logic.. You simply do not relate to it.. Someone who sees the bigger picture would understand how small and insignificant their own opinion truly is, and would qualify that everytime they expressed it.

    You express your opinion as fact.. I do not.. I leave my opinion open to being wrong or limited by my own perceptions.

    I would never say YOU are wrong.. only offer an alternative possiblity.

    Just look at our interaction concerning Leonard Cohen and tell me I am the one closed to possibilities .
    Trust him, it is poor incorrect logic.

    For example toward your logic only a few percent of great scientist in history would be NTs. So I hope that you can see the hole in your logic.

Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 42
    Last Post: 08-30-2017, 03:44 AM
  2. Are we morally obligated to help other people?
    By meme duchess in forum Philosophy and Spirituality
    Replies: 32
    Last Post: 07-06-2016, 04:57 PM
  3. [ENFP] Why am I nice to people who are not nice to me?
    By alcea rosea in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 50
    Last Post: 12-05-2008, 11:12 PM
  4. [MBTItm] How intense are we talking about here??
    By Wild horses in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 13
    Last Post: 10-30-2008, 03:14 PM
  5. Why are we so attracted to misfortune?
    By Geoff in forum General Psychology
    Replies: 25
    Last Post: 05-16-2008, 11:44 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO