User Tag List

View Poll Results: Are we over-assigning N to people here?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

50 73.53%
  • No

18 26.47%
First 45678 Last

Senior Member compulsiverambler's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Think about really big picture non-fiction topics though. Like The God Delusion. Or What's the Matter with Kansas?
    I've always seen Richard Dawkins as an SJ myself.

What's his motive for all of it? He cares passionately about what's true, in his own words. Not even just truths that have a demonstrated effect on people's lives, and more even than about what might make people happier overall. He thinks bedtime fairy tales are poisoning children's minds with their dangerous non-reality... he's like an SJ extremist. Plus, reading about him as a child, he comes across as much more of an Si-variety nerd than any other kind.

He employs a lot of metaphor in his writing but that doesn't necessarily prove a preference. I suspect that with his level and style of education that producing good imaginative and poetic writing is so rewarding to him partly because it contributes to a proud tradition of high quality literature that he knows his life was enriched by and that he can now give back to. And you can happily indulge in a function that isn't your first or second preference now and then. I have a thing about memorising maps.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by compulsiverambler View Post
    I've always seen Richard Dawkins as an SJ myself.

What's his motive for all of it? He cares passionately about what's true, in his own words. Not even just truths that have a demonstrated effect on people's lives, and more even than about what might make people happier overall. He thinks bedtime fairy tales are poisoning children's minds with their dangerous non-reality... he's like an SJ extremist.
    Or he's very INTx.

Quote Originally Posted by compulsiverambler View Post
    He employs a lot of metaphor in his writing but that doesn't necessarily prove a preference. I suspect that with his high intelligence and level and style of education that producing good imaginative and poetic writing is partly a matter of contributing to a proud tradition of high quality literature for him. And you can happily indulge in a function that isn't your first or second preference now and then. I have a thing about memorising maps.
    I see him as an INTJ. Me misses some of the NP style loftiness. Kind of literal sometimes. But his mental comfort zone is very abstract and far removed from the here and now.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

yeah... I've always wondered about the fact that people here seem so happy to assume that a sensor would NOT spend much time at a site like this on the internet... I have over 8,000 posts for goodness sake

I also agree with the statement that everyone wants to feel special so they rush for the "rarer" personality types as well... which I also think is silly because I think that there's more Ns in society than is usually assumed

And then there's the assumption that if they "click" with you and understand what you're saying they MUST be an N too... Sensors aren't the dumb rock breaking idiots that they're sometimes stereotyped as being on the forum... we DO know how to read and understand what other people are saying, even if they ARE special and unique Ns!

And like proteanmix said in another thread a while back- I think that most people are pretty close to center line on S and N... it's just a testing bias that would suggest otherwise- it should be a rather nice bell curve
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

There probably are some people here that incorrectly believe that they are Ns but I don't think it is all that extreme. There are many ways to account for the bias.

There's no way on earth anyone would consider TC.com to be a realistic cross-section of society. The interest in subject matter and the internet in general sways the statistics a great deal. For one thing SJs make up the largest of the 4 type groups yet there are so few SJs here. From what I know of SJs, the internet is not a place they tend to spend hours and hours on a daily basis (though they might check specific things out here and there) nor is MBTI much of interest. My family's (a ESTJ, a ISFJ and a xSTP) eyes start to glaze over when I start talking about this stuff - they couldn't care less. I'm not saying that all sensors hate MBTI but they are less inclined to be interested in it, pure and simple. And there's nothing wrong with that - different strokes for different folks.

Personally, the reason I started looking into MBTI was for answers as to why my behaviour and thought process clashed with almost everyone I met. This thought process in itself is quite revealing and is probably common to most INxx - we naturally feel this way and ask these sorts of questions. It is, therefore, quite unsurprising to me that there are so many INxxs here.

I do wish that people would stop bagging sensors so much here. If I were a sensor and I read the negative crap others say about them, I wouldn't want to be one either. And it increases the likelihood for a borderline sensor to mistype as an intuitor through wishful thinking. People miss the point of MBTI: its about learning to understand and cater to differences not creating an opportunity for discrimination.

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    I'm not saying that all sensors hate MBTI but they are less inclined to be interested in it, pure and simple. And there's nothing wrong with that - different strokes for different folks.
    An enthusiastic Sensor explanation of the MBTI can interest ANYONE

I do that on a regular basis!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett

Away with the fairies Southern Kross's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 so/sp

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    An enthusiastic Sensor explanation of the MBTI can interest ANYONE

I do that on a regular basis!
    Hmmm, that's interesting. You're right, the common explaination of MBTI (and of course mine also) could be swayed toward Ns. I'm interested to know, how do you think you approach it differently?

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Well Shit, you care enough.

We = forum members. And the only mythical person here is Victor.
    I care very little. While I correct blatant mistakes from time to time, I generally only argue with the people bright enough to learn. If someone actually believes, for example, that Richard Dawkins is an SJ, and posts such on this forum, what's the point? The concept of triage applies here. While Wikefuckinpedia has a canonical text on the subject Triage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia the concept as originally practiced was very simple: divvy the incoming patients into three groups, those who are gonna be fine without your immediate help, those who are gonna croak no matter what, and those who stand a chance of survival but only with prompt medical care...

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Southern Kross View Post
    Hmmm, that's interesting. You're right, the common explaination of MBTI (and of course mine also) could be swayed toward Ns. I'm interested to know, how do you think you approach it differently?
    most descriptions given describe functions in rather vague ways instead of using real world examples, which make the MBTI a lot more fun and interesting to someone in tune with the real world

more intuitives would probably find that approach at least interesting as well!

Senior Member compulsiverambler's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by Fecal McAngry View Post
    I care very little. While I correct blatant mistakes from time to time, I generally only argue with the people bright enough to learn. If someone actually believes, for example, that Richard Dawkins is an SJ, and posts such on this forum, what's the point? The concept of triage applies here. While Wikefuckinpedia has a canonical text on the subject Triage - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia the concept as originally practiced was very simple: divvy the incoming patients into three groups, those who are gonna be fine without your immediate help, those who are gonna croak no matter what, and those who stand a chance of survival but only with prompt medical care...
    Wow, you crawled out of your own arse for long enough to type that? Or is there room up there for your computer too these days?

Quote Originally Posted by michL87 View Post
    If you're talking about assigning types to famous people, it's probably because intuition is more common amongst artists (writers, musicians, etc.) Also, maybe there's a reason that N's are overrepresented in books/movies? I don't think it's that we're typing wrong, I think it's that writers of fiction tend to create more N characters, perhaps because the writers tend to be N's themselves.

If you're talking about forum members, it's probably because N's are more interested in personality typing, to the point of going on forums to discuss it. A lot of this is very theoretical and concept based, so it makes sense that it would appeal to N's.
    I always thought the bolded was equally, if not more, made up of sp's. Also this environment has a serious case of N worship overall. Of course we are going to want to put an n on anything "creative" or "exceptional".