User Tag List

View Poll Results: Are we over-assigning N to people here?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

50 73.53%
  • No

18 26.47%
First 34567 Last

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by teslashock View Post
    Yeah, errr...

That's supposed to be Ni as the filet mignon and Si as the sloppy joe. I fucked that order up.
    You sloppy bastard.

Senior Member compulsiverambler's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Good points.

I definitely think Ns are more likely to be writers. And Innies.
    They're probably more likely to be fiction writers, but I imagine writers of things like encyclopaedias, technical manuals and cookery and crafts books are more likely to be Ss. I think journalists and economic and business authors are disproportionately Sensing too, as most Ns I know don't follow any of that as often or intently as Sensors of broadly equal education and intelligence, and the experts just appear to be Sensors to me more often. I happen to be an anomaly of my own alleged trend there, but no matter.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

You sloppy bastard.
    Sorry! We can't all be flawless Ti-doms, now can we?

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

HI. HOW'S IT GOIN'?
    heh. i wasn't talking about you.

why? should i be?
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥

Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by compulsiverambler View Post
    They're probably more likely to be fiction writers, but I imagine writers of things like encyclopaedias, technical manuals and cookery and crafts books are more likely to be Ss. I think journalists and economic and business authors are disproportionately Sensing too, as most Ns I know don't follow any of that as often or intently as Sensors of broadly equal education and intelligence. I happen to be an anomaly of my own espoused trend there, but no matter.
    Yeah, I'd say it's Fs in addition to Ns with the sci fi. And NTs with the non-finction.

And SJs with the technical manuals!! *butt of every joke*

Quote Originally Posted by teslashock View Post
    Sorry! We can't all be flawless Ti-doms, now can we?
    But ya wake up, every day, now don't cha!! So proud.

Quote Originally Posted by digesthisickness View Post
    heh. i wasn't talking about you.

why? should i be?
    You're totally an N!

Permabanned
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx
    Socionics
    SEE Fi

About 25% of people are Ns, but in these threads, N gets assigned to about 75% of people, it seems. Introversion too, a lot. Is it because since we're a bunch of Ns, that we just like typing other Ns, or is it a bias that makes us want to type people we like as Ns like us?

Are artists putting out false N vibes of appearing "deep" and introspective, but are not?
    I think there are some supposed Ns on here which may be Ss...I think at one point I would have even been open to thinking that I'm an SP, but I'm just not. I used to drive my SP ex INSANE with all of my theorizing and my "over-analyzing" and my nerdiness.

I think N gets assigned here a lot because there are actually a disproportionate amount of Ns who frequent this site. I don't think the ratio on this site is a reflection of the broader population IRL.

Ugh...

You guys haven't even established what intuition means in terms of behavior. The key point of all of this typology is with the basic behavior of the individual.

Disclaimer: My quotes aren't to pick on anyone. I'm using them as data to make a point.

For example, given the following:

Oh, yeah, you can put an S in your type .. .. if you're completely shallow, unable to grasp theoretical concepts, stubborn and set in your ways, and subservient to your instincts.
    See this is irrelevant. There's no reason an intuitive won't have these traits. What would make the difference is seeing the behavior of the person in terms of possibility. An intuitive would show a greater disconnect from the sensory world that is in their behaviors with other people.

What this means is that in regards to Ne, it would seem it results in an atmosphere that is comfortable being loose with the facts and willing to enjoy the many jumpy connections that can be made with things, regardless of whether they are necessarily right or practical; and whether they are right or not or better or not than Se only serves to inflate an ego and has nothing concrete to substantiate its claim; it's also irrelevant.

With Ni I would imagine it is more focused on determining what will happen given past data, as well as constantly determining what everything really means (what everyone's true motives, goals, and intentions are); its focus in behavior is 'perspective'; it asks what perspective represents the truth of the situation? Thus the behavior you get from this shows a great willingness to change one's perspective given the appropriate data; and a great confidence if the perspective is not met with adequate resistance. It will most likely in behavior be the most detached out of the four functions Ni, Ne, Si, and Se. Ni people will most likely want to sustain a general position of neutrality and only act out when they feel they know enough about a situation to judge correctly and accurately what is wrong with a situation and what should be done.

Both Ni and Ne are quite irrational when looked at this way. But irrational here does not at all imply illogical.

Then you have Si and Se.

Si has no desire to make the irrational leaps that Ni does. It sees what is and is okay not looking at it any further than what is known. These people are more likely to display a behavior more resistant to change because what isn't known is uncertain and irrational to them; their behaviors are very tuned into what is true. They want to do what is expected of them because expectations are built on facts of what is known and is certain to be true. Anything outside of that is considered dangerous and has to go through great scrutiny and come out unscathed. Conclusions based on perspective are not to be trusted. And any anecdotes or further drawn-out conclusions about their intelligence or how narrow-minded they are are also unsubstantiated and irrelevant; that is not their defining basis.

And then you have Se. Se is crazy! Haha, just kidding. Se enjoys activities that meld the senses with human intellect. Their behaviors want to utilize their senses when learning or doing something. It is fun to these people to have a lot of external stimuli connected with their experiences and thoughts. So they often do activities that are high-energy and often involves physical activity and physical health and lots of interaction between people and things. Their experience and learning of the world is going to be very different than Ne which gets its enjoyment out of its more esoteric liberations. And again, anything concluded upon beyond this is going to be a stereotype or generalization that shouldn't be considered if trying to accurately describe the difference between the different functions or people with behavior and nothing else.

And although I know the probability that no one will agree with me and that this will just get battered into some abstract intuitive concrete wall where everyone starts chanting that nothing can be certain and making a mess of something that is supposed to stay in the realm of what's practical, I wanted to at least get this out their because this is the biggest problem many intuitives have with type theory. It shouldn't be considered outside of it's very basics if it wishes to remain practical and avoid stereotyping and witch-hunts of what is and isn't certain types and functions.

MBTI
    ESTJ
    Enneagram
    173 so/sx

I think a lot of it might have to do with this thought:

"Hey, you're a forum poster! People who like foruming are usually N, 'cause Sensors are always the sorts of people who would rather be off doing things in the real world, which is why Sensors don't like books or the internet, and why Sensors control the System, government, etc. Therefore, you must be N!"

Sigh...

But yeah, even the mistyping that isn't related to the previous quote is still, in my opinion, based on stereotyping. For example, even though I've been certain of my type since before I came to TypeC, I've had a bunch of people say things to me along the lines of "You seem too... nice. You act like ENFPs I know, not like the ESTJs that emotionally abuse me at work. Are you an NF?" And I'm like "No... :confused:"
    ~ g e t f e s t i v e ! ~

EJCC: "The Big Questions in my life right now: 1) What am I willing to live with? 2) What do I have to live with? 3) What can I change for the better?"
    Coriolis: "Is that the ESTJ Serenity Prayer?"

ESTJ - LSE - ESTj (mbti/socionics)
    1w2/7w6/3w4 so/sx (enneagram)
    want to ask me something? go for it!

Senior Member compulsiverambler's Avatar
    Enneagram
    5w6 sp/so

Yeah, I'd say it's Fs in addition to Ns with the sci fi. And NTs with the non-finction.

And SJs with the technical manuals!! *butt of every joke*
    Hmm, I don't really envision many Ns writing most genres of non-fiction, not for long or as their dream job. Almost every adult lover of encyclopaedias and documentaries I know is an S. But then, I don't see many threads typing non-fiction writers, can only think of Gordon Ramsey from a little while ago, so this can't explain why most famous people are typed N here anyway.

MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by EJCC View Post
    I think a lot of it might have to do with this thought:

"Hey, you're a forum poster! People who like foruming are usually N, 'cause Sensors are always the sorts of people who would rather be off doing things in the real world, which is why Sensors don't like books or the internet, and why Sensors control the System, government, etc. Therefore, you must be N!"

Sigh...

But yeah, even the mistyping that isn't related to the previous quote is still, in my opinion, based on stereotyping. For example, even though I've been certain of my type since before I came to TypeC, I've had a bunch of people say things to me along the lines of "You seem too... nice. You act like ENFPs I know, not like the ESTJs that emotionally abuse me at work. Are you an NF?" And I'm like "No... :confused:"
    After seeing that video of you, I can totally see how you would be saying this. Nice style.... for a sensor.

Quote Originally Posted by compulsiverambler View Post
    Hmm, I don't really envision many Ns writing most genres of non-fiction, not for long anyway. Almost every adult lover of encyclopaedias and documentaries I know is an S.
    Think about really big picture non-fiction topics though. Like The God Delusion. Or What's the Matter with Kansas?