User Tag List

View Poll Results: Are we over-assigning N to people here?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

50 73.53%
  • No

18 26.47%
First 1234513 Last

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

Assuming we are 'over-assigning' N to people here, on what criteria do you want to base which ones are 'real' and which ones are 'imagined'?

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

My last calculation actually put the N population here at 80%.

And yes, we are almost surely over-assigning that letter. I have no particular people to name, it's something I estimate must be happening.

Here are some thoughts I wrote on this in another thread:

http://www.typologycentral.com/forum...76-post13.html

I mention some reasons for there being more Ns that don't have to do with misidentification, but most of the post is.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    Assuming we are 'over-assigning' N to people here, on what criteria do you want to base which ones are 'real' and which ones are 'imagined'?
    Go back to the basics. Does the person appear to mentally live in the now and attend to the present? Do they use concrete information in communication? Do they focus on patterns and connections? Live in the future?

And in addition to the bias, I think some artists put out false INFPish characteristics. But maybe that's just my own bias.

garbage

Quote Originally Posted by Little Linguist View Post
    Objective and accurately measurable typing criteria, such as the following:

--
    If you want a more accurate depiction of type, you have to start with better overall definitions. If the definitions are completely biased, inapplicable, useless, nebulous, or outright terrible in other ways--which they tend to be at times--nobody's going to identify with them and thus the demographics are going to be skewed.

Striving for balance Little Linguist's Avatar
    MBTI
    xNFP

I personally think that being S would be awesome. But I doubt I am....

MBTI
    intp
    Enneagram

Quote Originally Posted by ajblaise View Post
    Go back to the basics. Does the person appear to mentally live in the now and attend to the present? Do they use concrete information in communication? Do they focus on patterns and connections? Live in the future?
    Yeah I agree. Some people overanalyze it. But the subject material doesn't support said overanlysis.
    "Of course we spent our money in the good times. That's what you're supposed to do in good times! You can't save money in the good times. Then they wouldn't be good times, they'd be 'preparation for the bad times' times."

"Every country in the world owes money. Everyone. So heere's what I dont get: who do they all owe it to, and why don't we just kill the bastard and relax?"

-Tommy Tiernan, Irish comedian.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEI Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Adoamros View Post
    N's are more prevalent on this forum obviously, and are probably leaning toward being more interested in 'N' things, which are often made by 'N' people. Not always, but just maybe.
    Quote Originally Posted by michL87 View Post
    If you're talking about assigning types to famous people, it's probably because intuition is more common amongst artists (writers, musicians, etc.) Also, maybe there's a reason that N's are overrepresented in books/movies? I don't think it's that we're typing wrong, I think it's that writers of fiction tend to create more N characters, perhaps because the writers tend to be N's themselves.
    I think these are two good explanations. There still may be an N bias in typing because so many are iNuitives here, but I think Keirsey, for instance, over-assigns SP to anyone with a shred of artistic talent.

Becoming a famous musician or artist is actually doing something out in the real world. And since sensors are already 75% of the population, I think they might be the majority of artists. Well, SPs.
    Eh, the "real world" doesn't consider art "something" unless you're famous from it, and a lot people get to that point out of pure chance.... You'll see many of the best song-writers and actors discuss how they were not ambitious at all, but there was some other person pushing the business aspect who made their talent lucrative/known.

And if we're generalizing, NJs DO make stuff happen and can be quite ambitious, probably more than your average ISFP.

Many artists are not prolific anyway....
    Often a star was waiting for you to notice it. A wave rolled toward you out of the distant past, or as you walked under an open window, a violin yielded itself to your hearing. All this was mission. But could you accomplish it? (Rilke)

INFP | 4w5 sp/sx | RLUEI - Primary Inquisitive | Tritype is tripe

Minister of Propagandhi ajblaise's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP

Quote Originally Posted by OrangeAppled View Post
    Eh, the "real world" doesn't consider art "something" unless you're famous from it, and a lot people get to that point out of pure chance.... You'll see many of the best song-writers and actors discuss how they were not ambitious at all, but there was some other person pushing the business aspect who made their talent lucrative/known.

And if we're generalizing, NJs DO make stuff happen and can be quite ambitious, probably more than your average ISFP.

Many artists are not prolific anyway....
    Some kinds of art don't really require the artist to whore themselves out to get noticed, well not extreme whoring (painting vs. pop rock). But networking always helps. And yeah ENJs can make great networkers.

I guess this doesn't apply to starving artists.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    4w3

I guess this doesn't apply to starving artists.
    Since we're typing the famous ones, it applies to them and not starving artists. I think NJ's are more likely to see the big picture of what they want to accomplish, set the end goal for themselves of how they want to get there, and then throw themselves out there to get it.

For example, an SP friend and I both want to be novelists. She writes occasionally--"when inspired"--and can never seem to finish a book. She doesn't stay on the same project for long enough to do so. Her writing is pretty, as she focuses on finding the perfect words to describe the surroundings of her characters, but she told me she has trouble finding the big picture of her story.

I set a goal to write a book with the specific idea of what I wanted it to be, set an amount I had to write a day, and started on my goal. In less than a year I had an edited book and a credible literary agent. (I'm still waiting to hear back from publishers!)

But anyway, the point. NJ's are more likely to focus on that end goal of publication and learning everything they can do to achieve it, whereas SP's are more interested in the process of getting there. Of course this isn't a given with everyone -- there are successful SP writers -- but it could be a starting point.

And I'm still sticking with my theory that because there are more N writers, they are more likely to create N characters
    "Imagination creates beauty, hope, magic, and happiness, which are everything in this world."

MBTI
    STP

About 25% of people are Ns, but in these threads, N gets assigned to about 75% of people, it seems. Introversion too, a lot. Is it because since we're a bunch of Ns, that we just like typing other Ns, or is it a bias that makes us want to type people we like as Ns like us?

Are artists putting out false N vibes of appearing "deep" and introspective, but are not?
    Ne is shallow as is Se.
    Im out, its been fun