User Tag List

View Poll Results: Are we over-assigning N to people here?

Voters
68. You may not vote on this poll
  • Yes

50 73.53%
  • No

18 26.47%
First 89101112 Last

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Quote Originally Posted by whatever View Post
    as opposed to when I had to write papers in art history and looked at what pigments were used to create what colors, the lights and shadows that were used and the social context of the painting... I always thought that the in depth analysis of symbolism, unless it was used in an intentional manner, was overdoing it- like when I had to read some piece of literary criticism that stated that a girl climbing down from her perch in a tree and going home meant that she'd rejected the phallic symbol of manhood and became a lesbian
    Oh, I don't do that either - I'm definitely not a "meaning" person unless it's documented that the artist said it.

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by Aurel View Post
    I posted in a thread about enfp/enfj that NFs aren't built for "thick skins" - we have other strengths to cultivate and that it's a waste to focus on that. I guess I was boxing in No Exit saying that about NFs. Apparently making any broad statement about a group of people is bad. I told him to read some victor threads but he hasn't jumped on that wagon yet, I guess.
    ALL ENFPs are closed minded, oversensitive know it alls who react to things before they have all the relavent information, especially female ENFPs from OHIO.. let's see how you like genralizations now then..

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

actually, that used to be a small pet peeve of mine; one i've had to learn to just let go of. when so many entps speak for me and all other entps. so many times, i've gritted my teeth while reading something written by another 'entp' because it wasn't true at all, and now that 'information' is out there. false and throwing off everyone who follows later and reads it. and, if that's not bad enough, then later, after spreading all of those 'facts', they change their type.

but, i can't go around saying, "stop speaking for all entps" every time, so i've had to let it go. to do anything else would be a losing battle.

basically, it's made it to where telling anyone that i'm an entp doesn't do anything to bring us closer (and maybe even further apart) because god knows what they think they know about me based on something they read or was told.

oh well.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥

Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery

garbage

what the hell is going on in this thread

Banned
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    6w5

Quote Originally Posted by digesthisickness View Post
    actually, that used to be a small pet peeve of mine; one i've had to learn to just let go of. when so many entps speak for me and all other entps. so many times, i've gritted my teeth while reading something written by another 'entp' because it wasn't true at all, and now that 'information' is out there. false and throwing off everyone who follows later and reads it. and, if that's not bad enough, then later, after spreading all of those 'facts', they change their type.

but, i can't go around saying, "stop speaking for all entps" every time, so i've had to let it go. to do anything else would be a losing battle.

basically, it's made it to where telling anyone that i'm an entp doesn't do anything to bring us closer (and maybe even further apart) because god knows what they think they know about me based on something they read or was told.

oh well.
    EXACTLY!!!!
    It's still a big pet peeve of mine.. But I am working on it.. Hopefully one day I will let it go as you have..

Something tells me that the mods will have their fun once again.

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7w6
    Socionics
    ENFp

Drama keeps the mods happy.

MBTI
    isfp
    Enneagram
    4w5 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by digesthisickness View Post

oh well.
    ^^ tis true.

That process of speaking for everyone of a type distorts understanding quite a bit, I think. I have trouble bringing myself to declare one type because I find two pigeon holes provides a little more potential understanding than just one. That way the person reading a post can choose which set of stereotypes best apply to me at the time. I'm not sure people consciously realize just how much like clay a given post is which can be molded in their perceptions based on what type they think the person is and overlay all its accompanying stereotypes.

I was in a debate months ago in which everything I said was in almost complete agreement with the position of someone who was an SJ. The individual we were debating against responded to the SJ post with comments like "typical Sensor", "reign in the Fe why don't you", etc. They responded positively to mine saying it was insightful and intuitive. In my estimation we were saying THE SAME THING. Perhaps I should have made a pointed issue out of it, but instead I saw it as a lost cause and left the thread not to return. It actually annoyed me quite a bit. Perceptions that are willfully distorted through a prejudicial lens can at times exasperate me, but it is something that must be let go of because what can change it? If there isn't a common reference point then there is no meeting ground to negotiate, grow, or increase understanding. Than again, that willful blindness is also part of reality and must be responded to in the most constructive way which in many cases is simply letting go.
    Step into my metaphysical room of mirrors.
    Fear of reality creates myopic morality
    So I guess it means there is trouble until the robins come
    (from Blue Velvet)

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by toonia View Post
    ^^ tis true.

That process of speaking for everyone of a type distorts understanding quite a bit, I think. I have trouble bringing myself to declare one type because I find two pigeon holes provides a little more potential understanding than just one. That way the person reading a post can choose which set of stereotypes best apply to me at the time. I'm not sure people consciously realize just how much like clay a given post is which can be molded in their perceptions based on what type they think the person is and overlay all its accompanying stereotypes.

I was in a debate months ago in which everything I said was in almost complete agreement with the position of someone who was an SJ. The individual we were debating against responded to the SJ post with comments like "typical Sensor", "reign in the Fe why don't you", etc. They responded positively to mine saying it was insightful and intuitive. In my estimation we were saying THE SAME THING. Perhaps I should have made a pointed issue out of it, but instead I saw it as a lost cause and left the thread not to return. It actually annoyed me quite a bit. Perceptions that are willfully distorted through a prejudicial lens can at times exasperate me, but it is something that must be let go of because what can change it? If there isn't a common reference point then there is no meeting ground to negotiate, grow, or increase understanding. Than again, that willful blindness is also part of reality and must be responded to in the most constructive way which in many cases is simply letting go.
    very well put.

i can't help but give this issue weight when i think about how others come here when they are looking for answers because of someone they know or even themselves. to read and figure out their own type or another's, naturally using comparisons as one way.

i'm reminded of it every time someone comes to these forums and asks for advice. it drives home, for me, just how much weight they put on what they read.

ugh. it's like being unable to stop a teacher teaching a class of first graders that the world is flat.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥

Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery

Enneagram
    827 sp/so

it really doesn't help when you become annoyed at people lumping ALL people of a certain letter together either... you just get stuck arguing with some silly kid who thinks that it's obviously true

Luckily, I don't really MIND any of the other ESTPs here enough to be really irked by that!
    “Oh, we're always alright. You remember that. We happen to other people.” -Terry Pratchett