• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

John McEnroe's type?

G

GirlAmerica

ESTJ, acts nutty like someone I was married to.
Has to be an E, dont you think?

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
He doesn't know when to keep his mouth shut, that's for sure.

red13

MBTI Type
INTJ
INTJ?

I'm a year older than John McEnroe and when I played sport my behaviour was very similar to his and I'm an INTJ. He was certainly a role model for me at the time. I'm not sure you should think of him as an E just because he's loud. If he had been an Extrovert, I suspect he would have been more sociable and would have had better developed manners in public.

NewEra

MBTI Type
I
He's an introvert first off. You can see that in interviews, commentary, etc. He's a Thinker as well. His frustration at line calls leads me to think he might be J, but that's still up in the air.

As of now, I'd probably say IxTJ.

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
He was a personal hero of mine growing up and I always thought of him as an I. I caould see INTx, definitely...

JocktheMotie

Habitual Fi LineStepper
He was a personal hero of mine growing up and I always thought of him as an I. I caould see INTx, definitely...

I can see that too. I have a terrifying temper/competitive streak. Anger's the only emotion I don't keep locked in!

jenocyde

half mystic, half skeksis
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
7w8
I can see that too. I have a terrifying temper/competitive streak. Anger's the only emotion I don't keep locked in!

Exactly, I'm the same way. Ridiculously super competitive and reflexes like a cat. Man, when I get that pissed, the obscenities fly and I am prone to smashing shit. But I would never lose my shit in front of an audience and TV cameras - this is why I guessed INTx.

I always got such a kick out of him...

professor goodstain

MBTI Type
ENFP
Enneagram
7~7
Uh, definitely not.

Then perhaps EsFP? i'm not so sure his anger at refs calls on his play was influenced by a feeling of unfairness related to the rules of the game. I would say he felt upset at these stupid calls on his play because he thought they were directed more at his style. And even i find a stupid call that borderlines envy or some freak need to keep control over a persons character by an anal ref to be quite unfair in a way. Since when was the subcatagory 'ref and player personality conflict' added to the tennis rule book?

Sorry bout the last sentence or two. It's just that sometimes i feel that the refs are being overbearing to my personality by overruling my objection to other posts when in reality the refs know alot more about typology than i do.

McEnroe

Permabanned
He's an introvert first off. You can see that in interviews, commentary, etc. He's a Thinker as well. His frustration at line calls leads me to think he might be J, but that's still up in the air.

As of now, I'd probably say IxTJ.

ESFJ. Dude's definately an F-ster.

Exactly, I'm the same way. Ridiculously super competitive and reflexes like a cat. Man, when I get that pissed, the obscenities fly and I am prone to smashing shit. But I would never lose my shit in front of an audience and TV cameras - this is why I guessed INTx.

I always got such a kick out of him...

Then perhaps EsFP? i'm not so sure his anger at refs calls on his play was influenced by a feeling of unfairness related to the rules of the game. I would say he felt upset at these stupid calls on his play because he thought they were directed more at his style. And even i find a stupid call that borderlines envy or some freak need to keep control over a persons character by an anal ref to be quite unfair in a way. Since when was the subcatagory 'ref and player personality conflict' added to the tennis rule book?

Sorry bout the last sentence or two. It's just that sometimes i feel that the refs are being overbearing to my personality by overruling my objection to other posts when in reality the refs know alot more about typology than i do.

YOU CAN NOT BE SERIOUS

MBTI Type
INFP
I'm edging towards ISTP. I'm most sure of the T and P.

Basically he's the most arrogant, self-serving prick the game has ever seen. Those characteristics transcend type.

I will say this though, to his credit: he's the only person in the game to have ever played consistently BETTER after one such outburst, using the anger as fuel rather than just hot air -- so it's easy to see the payoff for this behaviour.

Conversely it's a pleasure to listen to him analyze how a match unfolds in the commentary booth, the way a TJ most likely wouldn't. It's also fun to hear him trade logical points with Mary Carillo (ENTJ?) about the inception of "shot spot" line-calling technology and how she thinks it SHOULD be used: uniformly, and without the player being penalized for guessing wrong. (I'm with her on this one, by the way.)

McEnroe

Permabanned
I'm edging towards ISTP. I'm most sure of the T and P.

Basically he's the most arrogant, self-serving prick the game has ever seen. Those characteristics transcend type.

I will say this though, to his credit: he's the only person in the game to have ever played consistently BETTER after one such outburst, using the anger as fuel rather than just hot air -- so it's easy to see the payoff for this behaviour.

Conversely it's a pleasure to listen to him analyze how a match unfolds in the commentary booth, the way a TJ most likely wouldn't. It's also fun to hear him trade logical points with Mary Carillo (ENTJ?) about the inception of "shot spot" line-calling technology and how she thinks it SHOULD be used: uniformly, and without the player being penalized for guessing wrong. (I'm with her on this one, by the way.)
You're right, except for I. ESTP, I say again.

Boelthorn

MBTI Type
ENTJ
Well my first instinct was ESTP. Then I rewatched some interviews and some of his outbursts. Most ESTPs don't get that aggressive. They are loud, yeah but that aggressive intensity ist most common in the T-Doms (INTP being an exception). Most people that I know that can relate to my anger are EXTJs and ISTPs. And he really doesn't seem to be an extrovert. Shouting and throwing stuff doesn't make you an extrovert.