User Tag List

First 12

Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    I know several INTPs who like to fence, so it must have a strong strategy component. More T than F in any case.
    No, this has nothing to do with T and F, it's an overcomplication of the personality theory.

T = preference: decisions based on logic and facts
    F = preference: decisions based on values and emotions

That's pretty much it. I lol'd at the fact that he couldn't really choose sqash or dodgeball to revenge his father's death, right? This is hardly a determining factor.

Quote Originally Posted by Sidewinder View Post
    Hamlet is judgmental at times, the way he judges his mother for her remarriage, for example. But overall, he's not really a J.
    Every human being is judgmental at times, what's your point? The P traits are pretty clear.

MBTI
    ISFP

Quote Originally Posted by Litvyak View Post
    Every human being is judgmental at times, what's your point? The P traits are pretty clear.
    Yes, that's what I said. You seemed to imply I was an idiot because I said "I think we all agree on I and N" rather than "I think we all agree on I and N and P". I was clarifying my original point by stating some readers may see him jumping to judgments (and so might see him as INFJ, for example), but I also think the P traits are far more apparent.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Well socionics literally "named" the EIE (ENFj) type as "Hamlet" (I think Jack London is the ENTj etc...). Granted, there isnt a conversion (even for Extroverts). However, it does make you wonder.

ENFJs are the most choleric Fs...this might make them appear T-ish sometimes. They also are probably the more unorganized Js.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

I think it depends heavily on the actor's interpretation. I've seen Hamlets I'd type as ISFP and others that seem ENFP.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6 so/sp
    Socionics
    ILE

Hamlet is a classic INxP of some sort. To be INFP or INTP, that is the question...

Quote Originally Posted by hokie912 View Post
    I think it depends heavily on the actor's interpretation.
    ... as in every dramatic piece, right?
    That's why we should type H. based on the shakesperean text alone.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

I see this post has been inactive for a while, but I was reading Hamlet the day before yesterday, and I was curious to see if my intuitions about his type were correct. However, these arguments don't make any sense to me. I would type him as either infj or enfj.

It seems clear to me that he is using extraverted feeling and introverted thinking as judging functions throughout the play. His anger is not just about his uncle killing his father, but also his moral judgment about his mother's relationship with his uncle. Someone claimed that Hamlet is indecisive and not able to make decisions quickly, but that is not true for these moral judgements.

His outward feeling judgements seem to be tempered by his introverted thinking judgements, which explains his apparent indecisiveness. He did not spontaneously decide to kill his uncle, but rather he planned it out, demanding conclusive evidence of his guilt before taking action.

I would then further argue that he is an introvert:
    O God, I could be bounded in a nutshell, and count myself a
    king of infinite space—were it not that I have bad dreams.

Also, Polonius mentioned that Hamlet often spent hours pacing in the room where they planned to observe his interaction with Ophelia to determine the cause of his madness.

Also remember that Hamlet is under a lot of psychological stress, explaining his subversive extraversion throughout the play.

Based on this, my first choice would be infj, and second enfj.

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    5w4

I have to retract my argument. I read more about Fi, and how it compares the current feelings to the ideal, and I realize my argument was off base. I'm pretty sure he's an INFP now.