User Tag List

View Poll Results: David Bowie's Personality Type?

Voters
37. You may not vote on this poll
  • ISTJ

0 0%
  • ISFJ

0 0%
  • INFJ

4 10.81%
  • INTJ

2 5.41%
  • ISTP

2 5.41%
  • ISFP

13 35.14%
  • INFP

5 13.51%
  • INTP

2 5.41%
  • ESTP

1 2.70%
  • ESFP

2 5.41%
  • ENFP

1 2.70%
  • ENTP

3 8.11%
  • ESTJ

1 2.70%
  • ESFJ

0 0%
  • ENFJ

0 0%
  • ENTJ

1 2.70%
First 12345 Last

Thread: David Bowie?

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8

I suppose it's a bit moot now. Maybe I'm just too upset to care.

FWIW,
    He struck me as a Gamma type, either ISFP or INTJ.

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Lol at every type in the types. Going by stories of personal experiences of him and by the interviews I have seen I think he is pretty fe, warm and gentle comes up a lot a lot a lot... very intelligent, waif like but very very beautiful to look at... Idk gives me a... changed my mind... I'm now thinking he could be an ENFP...dun dun duuuunnnn!

"We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8

Similar personality to Roger Waters. Also a similar work ethic. I've read bios on both. People have criticized Bowie for being a domineering prick, but he usually gave credit where credit was due to his collaborators and supporting musicians. He gave John Lennon and Carlos Alomar a co-writing credit for "Fame," not to mention sharing writing credits with Eno for a good number of tracks on Low and 'Heroes.' I once laughed at the idea of him being an INFJ, but now I kind of see it. He was a very complicated, multifaceted person. Bowie certainly fits the "chart the course" style of interaction, laying out a rough vision of where each album should go, then letting his supporting musicians flourish so long as they stayed within the parameters he'd set; he often brought out the best in them--very NiFe, if you ask me. Waters is more likely INTJ, and I think if these typings are true, they would stand as great examples of how the two Ni dominant types contrast.

I'd avoid the 70s era interviews and stick with later footage for typing him, as he did a ton of coke from Ziggy period to the StationToStation period.

Let me count the ways Betty Blue's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    7W6 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by Anaximander View Post
    Similar personality to Roger Waters. Also a similar work ethic. I've read bios on both. People have criticized Bowie for being a domineering prick, but he usually gave credit where credit was due to his collaborators and supporting musicians. He gave John Lennon and Carlos Alomar a co-writing credit for "Fame," not to mention sharing writing credits with Eno for a good number of tracks on Low and 'Heroes.' I once laughed at the idea of him being an INFJ, but now I kind of see it. He was a very complicated, multifaceted person. Bowie certainly fits the "chart the course" style of interaction, laying out a rough vision of where each album should go, then letting his supporting musicians flourish so long as they stayed within the parameters he'd set; he often brought out the best in them--very NiFe, if you ask me. Waters is more likely INTJ, and I think if these typings are true, they would stand as great examples of how the two Ni dominant types contrast.

I'd avoid the 70s era interviews and stick with later footage for typing him, as he did a ton of coke from Ziggy period to the StationToStation period.

Did you watch the interview I linked... it's a positive Ne fest!
    "We knew he was someone who had a tragic flaw, that's where his greatness came from"

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8

Quote Originally Posted by HelenOfTroy View Post
    Did you watch the interview I linked... it's a positive Ne fest!
    I'll check it out in a second. I wouldn't rule that type out--he did have a tendency to "commit" to a persona or project only to quickly get bored and move on to the next project. We never did get the Outside sequel

MBTI
    Enfj
    Enneagram
    7w8 so
    Socionics
    EIE Ni

Quote Originally Posted by DaRick View Post
    I am a casual fan of David Bowie's work, particularly the period from 1971-83 (Hunky Dory to Let's Dance). The man behind the masks (from dance-pop to piano-driven rock to ambient electronica to hard rock) has always fascinated me, though. I have always wondered what his personality type could be. I've heard types as disparate as ISFP and ENFJ. On my part? I believe that he's an ENTP. I'll use the four Jung ENTP preferences to prove my theory:

Extraverted Intution:
    Well, as we all know, Bowie is a 'musical chameleon', changing his musical output depending on changing tastes (the declining popularity of glam rock), internal strife (drugs leading him to Berlin with Iggy Pop, resulting in the Berlin trilogy) and even on personal whims. For instance, he moved into Philly soul over the course of two albums (including Diamond Dogs), just before glam rock's popularity declined. He also realised the popularity of dance-pop in the early 1980's and exploited it to gain hiherto unreached commercial success with Let's Dance. He also intermittently planned movies, at least one of which he failed to complete (the Diamond Dogs movie) and also acts in movies as diverse as fantasies (Labyrinth) and period films (The Prestige).

Introverted Thinking:
    Bowie uses Introverted Thinking, as his auxillary function, to reach logical decisions as to which musical direction he should take next. This is why Bowie is so visionary in his ability to popularise (to varying degrees) and thus rake in either cash, attention, critical acclaim, or all three. Bowie arguably used Introverted Thinking to move to Berlin in the mid-1970's in an effort to escape his drug addiction. He moved there out of principle - the then-underground German krautrock was something he had not yet played with, therefore compelling him to experiment with it, even to the point of influencing Iggy Pop's 1977 releases. He certainly didn't move there for practical reasons; the music he created, while (surprisingly) financially and critically successful, could not match Station to Station commercially. I say this because Bowie could be as commercially calculated as any other musician. The 'Berlin Trilogy' also created music which I would refer to as 'abstract'; much of it consisting of instrumentals, which, to my understanding (I dislike instrumentals), were electronica, ambient and avant-garde.

Extraverted Feeling:
    Despite this being Bowie's teritary function, Bowie's Extraverted Feeling does appear to be well-developed. For instance, in several interviews, he does come across as somewhat affable. This function allows him to justify entertaining and thus stay loyal to his fans, as he has done for over 40 years. He also helped Iggy Pop out when he was struggling financially by re-recording China Girl to considerable commercial success (Bowie's version is also better), allowing Iggy, as a co-writer, to take home a royalty cheque and then rebuild his life.

Introverted Sensing:
    Bowie's inferior function - and it sometimes shows. Bowie has intermittenly shown a lack of awareness of musical norms during different time periods (i.e - releasing electronica and avant-garde albums during the punk era). He also released albums with 'Tin Machine' during a time where the worlds of hair metal and then grunge held sway. He also only reflects on the past when prodded and keeps changing his account of what occured, particularly with his bisexuality. A dominant Si, conversely, would use the present to evoke what was with precision (like my mother does). However, Bowie has often acknowledged musical norms, releasing glam rock and Phily soul when those two genres were commercially viable. So, his Si isn't as badly developed as it could be.

In summary, then, I believe that David Bowie is a fairly well-developed ENTP, except during those periods when he fell into drug abuse. Visionary, influental...yep, that's Bowie for ya!
    So if he is entp like you said, he got to be a 3w4 or 4w3
    In order for society to survive, we must all pitch in and cooperate with one another, split the resources fairly.
    If we get greedy, everything will fall apart
    The main reason why there is no long peace is because everything is set and stone.
    Another is that resources are limited and the ones who had the most goes bad because they are in control.

MBTI
    ENFJ
    Enneagram
    9w8

I kind of think ENFP.

Maybe.

@HelenOfTroy

although I can see why the argument for auxiliary Ti makes sense. Typically once he's mastered a sound, style, technique, etc, he moves on, but while learning it he takes great measure to learn all of the ins and outs of how it works.

Look at me, still mentioning him in the present tense
    Likes Betty Blue liked this post

Enneagram
    4 so/sp

I love how everyone thinks he's a different type. Ah, mbti.

I don't know enough about him to comment.
    "...On and on and on and on he strode, far out over the sands, singing wildly to the sea, crying to greet the advent of the life that had cried to him." - James Joyce

My Photography and Watercolor Fine Art Prints!!! Cascade Colors Fine Art Prints
    https://docs.google.com/uc?export=do...Gd5N3NZZE52QjQ

Quote Originally Posted by cascadeco View Post
    I love how everyone thinks he's a different type. Ah, mbti.

I don't know enough about him to comment.
    Why let that stop you?
    To avoid criticism, do nothing, say nothing, be nothing.
    ~ Elbert Hubbard

Music provides one of the clearest examples of a much deeper relation between mathematics and human experience.
    Likes cascadeco liked this post

MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    748 sx/so

I have no idea, but just to offer my Guess, I thought that "whatckiness/multiple personalities" was in line with Introverted Intuition...at least I associate with with many other "celebrities" that are a bit wacko like that and Ni-dom.

No one agrees!?