User Tag List

123 Last

Thread: Thomas Kuhn

MBTI
    ERTP

Default Thomas Kuhn

What say people to Kuhn as an ENFJ? He strikes me as the same kind of banal "thinker" Hannah Arendt is...
    best collection of philosopher typings online

http://www.celebritytypes.com/philosophers/

I don't know him enough. Based on his theories, NJ seems to be acceptable.

On what do you base the 'F' part?

MBTI
    ERTP

its more about harmonising/ excusing different viewpoints/ epochs etc. through his paradigm theory than it is discovering anything new it itself

like arendt, imo

MBTI
    ERTP

400 posts about fictive pesonalities from tv and 1 about a philosopher

and you people call yourself intuitives

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Hey Blackwater, since you're in the business of typing every eminent eminent intellectual out there, why don't you expand the horizons of your inquiry by also typing animals and insects? Cats, dogs, lizzards, elephants? Since IQ is largely innate and determined by the symmetry of the creature's body parts, you can conjecture what the animal's IQ is just by looking at its picture. So, cats must definitely be smarter than chimps as cats have four legs of the same length, yet the arms of chimps are shorter than their legs. Furthermore, you should also draw correlations between the creatures' type and IQ. I bet being an NT animal has something to do with having symmetrical body parts and hence, intelligence!

Oh, by the way; you strike me as a 'kind of banal' thinker too: so I will type you an ENFJ now!
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    ERTP

Since IQ is ... determined by the symmetry of the creature's body parts, you can conjecture what the animal's IQ is just by looking at its picture.
    sweet blueswing

i never said that. and even if i did, statistical averages don't apply to one person. i guess i struck a nerve in that other thread. you af all people should be glad that somebodys out there, typing philosophers. after all, you did so yourself in your book. - or are you really just afraid that if people start looking into these matters for themselves, some of your claims may be refuted?

MBTI
    ERTP

oh, I forgot to say that im glad to finally be enfj

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Blackwater View Post
    sweet blueswing

i never said that. and even if i did, statistical averages don't apply to one person. i guess i struck a nerve in that other thread. you af all people should be glad that somebodys out there, typing philosophers. after all, you did so yourself in your book. - or are you really just afraid that if people start looking into these matters for themselves, some of your claims may be refuted?
    My attempts to type philosophers were tentative. I never intended to assert definitively that a certain scholar belongs to this or that type. This exercise was means to the end of adequately describing the fundamental cognitive tendencies of the human mind.

A more appropriate way to interpret my claims about the types of philosophers is as follows. When I make a claim about a philosopher, I do not refer to the entire person who may be described in a biography, but rather than intellectual character of that person. For example, Spinoza represented the intellectual character of a Ti dominant thinker as he worked very systematically and sought precision of thought even in the most abstract of concepts. Stating this accurately describes how a Ti mindset would be inclined to behave in an intellectual setting.

However, this is a far cry from a bold assertion that Spinoza was indeed a Ti type. It would be a reasonable guess, but the evidence is still inconclusive as an unwarranted assumption is made in the process. This presupposition is that the author had the liberty to be true to his natural tendencies of thought. We do not know from reading his books alone if his intellectual character represents the essence of his fundamental cognitive habits. In order to know if he truly has displayed his natural tendencies of thought in his work, we'd need to know a good amount of biographical facts about him.

I truly could care less if you can refute the conclusions of Principles of Typology regarding philosopher types as my commentary on that served as no more than a rhetorical technique. The conceptual substance of my work had nothing to do with this task, what an intellectual's type is should be a question for historians and biographers to debate; its altogether irrelevant to the study of solidified unconscious cognitive dispositions.

I don't think that there is anything wrong with typing philosophers, but there certainly is with the way you're doing it. There is no reason to suppose that Kuhn was a banal thinker just because his professional publications portray a reckless character, however, there would be if he displayed the same character in his personal correspondences where no political, social or a professional result was at stake.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

MBTI
    ERTP

luckily for both of us, i never professed to any such methodlogy. and i probably never will. i take in all the evidence that is brought to my attention and from the chaos that is that pile of evidence, i try to assert what type a given individual may have been. no claim is ever finite. but we can get closer and closer to the truth. as such, my current assessments are merely stepping stones to some future refinement within this field. as every good philosophy should be. you have read your popper, haven't you? (i say this in the same tone of voice as i would use to say: "you left your soiled underwear in my bathroom")

There is no reason to suppose that Kuhn was a banal thinker just because his professional publications portray a reckless character
    NO reason? now you're getting too smart for this enfj

ps. bluewing i think you're out on a limb here - you made such lists on this board and/or intpcentral yourself. the only thing i did was dedicate a website to my assessments. assessments which i am happy to see challenged

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

luckily for both of us, i never professed to any such methodlogy. and i probably never will. i take in all the evidence that is brought to my attention and from the chaos that is that pile of evidence, i try to assert what type a given individual may have been.
    I don't see this happening. Usually you just cite a certain feature of the thinker's intellectual character and conclude that their type is one that corresponds to this feature the most.

ps. bluewing i think you're out on a limb here - you made such lists on this board and/or intpcentral yourself. the only thing i did was dedicate a website to my assessments.
    Those lists were posted over two years ago, I have been long aware that they contain deep flaws.

assessments which i am happy to see challenged.
    There is no need for a challenge if you keep on claiming that a certain intellectual's type is defined by the ideas they submitted to a professional publisher. Baseless assertions are to be frowned upon rather than honored in light of a serious discussion. Your website shall join the company of other folk typologists who have deluged the web with their profile descriptions that consist of a merely arbitrary succession of personality descriptions illicitly generalized to represent large groups of people or heroes of history.