• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

before sunrise/sunset

tibby

MBTI Type
fool
So, any thoughts on the characters' types?

I'll suggest xNFJ for Celine and some xNxP for Jesse. It's really hard to tell whether they prefer introversion or extraversion actually. My initial impression was INFJ for Celine (in before sunrise) but in the sequel she seems waay more E. Seems like a very subtle line for her, anyways.

Jesse... I don't know, a very rational ENFP?

hokie912

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
Two of my favorite movies. :) Anyway, I'd actually switch those typings... I really feel that Celine is INFP and Jesse is almost a prototypical male ENFJ. I think that Celine is a bit too all over the place and too high on Fi to be an NFJ. Jesse is all about connecting with people and is a charmer (high Fe).

And I agree that Celine seems much more extraverted in the sequel. In Before Sunrise, I definitely felt that she was introverted and just happened to really connect with Jesse. I think that Julie Delpy is ENFP, though.

I don't have time to elaborate right now, but I'll try to later.

LovelyAngel

Instigator, First Class
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
I don’t think I can add to the specific typing of Jesse and Celine... I’m not sure I even want to think about it that much.

I just wanted to add that Before Sunrise / Sunset are two of my favorite movies. I even have a 4-foot by 6-foot street poster:

000dccx3.jpg

I’m warmed by the fact that you both consider Jesse and Celine to be NFs. Ah, I love a good romance!

the state i am in

MBTI Type
infj
Enneagram
5w4
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
i thought infj for celine.

i think ethan hawke is enfj and i think julie delpy is infj. she could possibly be infp. the director richard linklater is, i think, an enfp.

Rebe

MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4sop
Oh I love love these two movies. I haven't watched them in a while. Oh, I so want a poster of them.

Celine...infp/enfp/isfp - doesn't seem J at all, seems to have very strong internal values
Jesse...I really don't know - more cynical than Celine, more down-to-earth and rational - istp?

tibby

MBTI Type
fool
I like the movies too!

Actually at first I did think ENFJ for Jesse but I gave that thought up when I was thinking Celine as xNFJ too...

I don't know, I kind of thought infj for Celine because she was so open about herself (I kind of felt Jesse was more reserved to reveal himself actually, the whole time they were discussing I just got this feeling like he was the "listener" sort of) and in the sequel she comes off even more as a J, to me. And when she was apologizing to Jesse about not being on the trainstation she's just very Fe (apologizing over and over and over again, which I consider to be kind of Fe-ish, or it would at least make sense) Also in the taxi in the second movie she had a Fe moment :laugh: ..

Also, she's soo passionate about the causes she's drawn to (environmental) and is also actively involved in them (making shit happen).

ENFJ makes sense to Jesse, how he gets her to open up without revealing that much about himself, really. (At least at first).

hokie912

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
I definitely think they're both NFs. I had a friend watch a clip from the movie to get a second opinion, and she thought that Celine came across as ISFP, but I can't see either of them being sensors given how interested they are in discussing abstract topics. Plus, the movies seem to have pretty widespread appeal among NFs.

I don't know, I kind of thought infj for Celine because she was so open about herself (I kind of felt Jesse was more reserved to reveal himself actually, the whole time they were discussing I just got this feeling like he was the "listener" sort of) and in the sequel she comes off even more as a J, to me. And when she was apologizing to Jesse about not being on the trainstation she's just very Fe (apologizing over and over and over again, which I consider to be kind of Fe-ish, or it would at least make sense) Also in the taxi in the second movie she had a Fe moment :laugh: ..

Also, she's soo passionate about the causes she's drawn to (environmental) and is also actively involved in them (making shit happen).

I see a lot of these things as more Fi than Fe. She's passionate about causes, but in a "this is a deeply held value that is important to me" way more than a people-focused way. She's also so neurotic (adorably so) and stuck in her own head, and she seems to care quite a lot about being consistent, authentic, and original. Those aren't things I associate quite as much with NFJs (well, other than the neuroticism!). Particularly in Before Sunrise, she seems so focused on being consistent and true to her values -- finding herself, if you will. Contrast that with Jesse, who is engaging but a little bit more reserved, more focused on her, and whose expressed opinions seem a little bit more malleable (because they aren't based in Fi, IMO). NFP vs. NFJ.

Ratsimoan

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
4w5
I definitely think they're both NFs. I had a friend watch a clip from the movie to get a second opinion, and she thought that Celine came across as ISFP, but I can't see either of them being sensors given how interested they are in discussing abstract topics. Plus, the movies seem to have pretty widespread appeal among NFs.

I see a lot of these things as more Fi than Fe. She's passionate about causes, but in a "this is a deeply held value that is important to me" way more than a people-focused way. She's also so neurotic (adorably so) and stuck in her own head, and she seems to care quite a lot about being consistent, authentic, and original. Those aren't things I associate quite as much with NFJs (well, other than the neuroticism!). Particularly in Before Sunrise, she seems so focused on being consistent and true to her values -- finding herself, if you will. Contrast that with Jesse, who is engaging but a little bit more reserved, more focused on her, and whose expressed opinions seem a little bit more malleable (because they aren't based in Fi, IMO). NFP vs. NFJ.

All the stuff above describes an enfp. She reminds me of myself. Celine is an enfp. We are a hard type to guess. Because we can look like infjs, enfjs, esfps. We are a complex type.

Chloe

All the stuff above describes an enfp. She reminds me of myself. Celine is an enfp. We are a hard type to guess. Because we can look like infjs, enfjs, esfps. We are a complex type.

i am just starting to watch this movie, i watched it years ago but only with half eye...
and i think she's more enfp than infp. she's very bubbly. at least first 10 minutes, where i am now.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Yeah, Jesse is a very prototypical ENFJ, and Celine is NFP, hard to say on the I/E. Her Fi is sooo obvious, and her openness could merely be due to cliquing quickly with a charming ENFJ (ah, those ENFJs! :D).

July Delpy is soooo ENFP in real life too.

Chloe

Yeah, Jesse is a very prototypical ENFJ, and Celine is NFP, hard to say on the I/E. Her Fi is sooo obvious, and her openness could merely be due to cliquing quickly with a charming ENFJ (ah, those ENFJs! :D).

Why ENFJ for Jesse and not INFJ?

I was so smart that I watched yesterday 2nd movie before watching 1st. I figured this on the end. :)

good point about her being more E because she was charmed... but what are points for INFP?
Even if you view that behaviour because she was around guy she likes, she still looks more ENFP, maturer one, with more defined values.

Ratsimoan

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
4w5

I was so smart that I watched yesterday 2nd movie before watching 1st. I figured this on the end. :)

good point about her being more E because she was charmed... but what are points for INFP?
Even if you view that behaviour because she was around guy she likes, she still looks more ENFP, maturer one, with more defined values.

True about Celine. When I looked at her in Before Sunset, I said to myself that's what I'm supposed to look like. Celine is truly a healthy mature enfp. We rarely see what a healthy, mature enfp woman in movies or tv shows. But then again, I could be wrong, she could be an example of a mature and healthy infp. But I feel like she's an enfp. I relate to her so much more than Ariel.

Chloe

True about Celine. When I looked at her in Before Sunset, I said to myself that's what I'm supposed to look like. Celine is truly a healthy mature enfp. We rarely see what a healthy, mature enfp woman in movies or tv shows. But then again, I could be wrong, she could be an example of a mature and healthy infp. But I feel like she's an enfp. I relate to her so much more than Ariel.

she could be neither/mix since it's only a movie. :D

yeah in movies most are made to be some caricatures like poppy (happy go lucky).

Chloe

I relate to her so much more than Ariel.

Actually, just htinking, I relate quite a lot to Ariel's relationship with her ISTJ dad, because my mom is ISTJ.
When I was a kid I'd go out and not come back for 24 hours, every day, I'd totally get lost somewhere and end up in different part of the city, and my mom was completely pissed haha. We had the same dynamic like ariel and her father.

Ratsimoan

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
4w5
Actually, just htinking, I relate quite a lot to Ariel's relationship with her ISTJ dad, because my mom is ISTJ.
When I was a kid I'd go out and not come back for 24 hours, every day, I'd totally get lost somewhere and end up in different part of the city, and my mom was completely pissed haha. We had the same dynamic like ariel and her father.

I could relate with Ariel when I was young. But I'm 26 now, so I don't relate with her so much, anymore. Ariel was like 16 in the Little Mermaid.

angell_m

Permabanned
MBTI Type
IxFx
Enneagram
5w4
Apparently.. Before Sunrise had an ending that I did not like, so I only watched Before Sunset.

OrangeAppled

Sugar Hiccup
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
4w5
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
Chloé said:

I was so smart that I watched yesterday 2nd movie before watching 1st. I figured this on the end.

I say ENFJ for Jesse because he does not strike me as reserved in the least. Yes, he is not obnoxiously outgoing or intense, but that can be a false stereotype. Fe-doms often are good at being appropriate to the situation. He initiates conversation with a strange, attractive woman on a train - let's poll some INFx men and see how many would do that (outside of their imagination). He's got the trademark ENFJ charm. He convinces a bartender to give him a free bottle of wine, by basically appealing to some emotional feeling he knows this guy must be familiar with, as everyone is familiar with it in some way - Fe knows this.

His Fe is the most obvious function I see, but where Celine is random, he stops to shift his perspective, this is where you see his Ni kicking in. He's super accommodating, yet wants some definite plan - wasn't it he who suggested the 6 month idea? In Sunset, he wants to do something while they talk - go shopping, take the tourist boat ride.... This is an ENFJ kind of "spontaneity" - it's really a way of structuring their social environment. It's a way to control the backdrop, so to speak. Anyway, I could go on, but I'd need to watch it again to reference more specifics (I have seen it a gazillion times, but I'm not a big "detail" person when it comes to memory - much more a "gist" person).

Finally, he reminds me of many ENFJ men I've known, which is not much of an argument, but it's all too uncanny for me to dismiss personally :D.

I think her Fi is well-developed, but so is her Ne. I don't have any problem typing her as ENFP. I agree that is she is quite mature but still deliciously Fi + Ne, so that she might be called either NFP. An INFP typing would certainly have the caveat of her being exceptionally comfortable with the Jesse character. IDK who "Ariel" is - the Disney character? I don't relate to any Disney character myself.... :D

Ratsimoan

MBTI Type
enfp
Enneagram
4w5
I say ENFJ for Jesse because he does not strike me as reserved in the least. Yes, he is not obnoxiously outgoing or intense, but that can be a false stereotype. Fe-doms often are good at being appropriate to the situation. He initiates conversation with a strange, attractive woman on a train - let's poll some INFx men and see how many would do that (outside of their imagination). He's got the trademark ENFJ charm. He convinces a bartender to give him a free bottle of wine, by basically appealing to some emotional feeling he knows this guy must be familiar with, as everyone is familiar with it in some way - Fe knows this.

His Fe is the most obvious function I see, but where Celine is random, he stops to shift his perspective, this is where you see his Ni kicking in. He's super accommodating, yet wants some definite plan - wasn't it he who suggested the 6 month idea? In Sunset, he wants to do something while they talk - go shopping, take the tourist boat ride.... This is an ENFJ kind of "spontaneity" - it's really a way of structuring their social environment. It's a way to control the backdrop, so to speak. Anyway, I could go on, but I'd need to watch it again to reference more specifics (I have seen it a gazillion times, but I'm not a big "detail" person when it comes to memory - much more a "gist" person).

Finally, he reminds me of many ENFJ men I've known, which is not much of an argument, but it's all too uncanny for me to dismiss personally :D.

I think her Fi is well-developed, but so is her Ne. I don't have any problem typing her as ENFP. I agree that is she is quite mature but still deliciously Fi + Ne, so that she might be called either NFP. An INFP typing would certainly have the caveat of her being exceptionally comfortable with the Jesse character. IDK who "Ariel" is - the Disney character? I don't relate to any Disney character myself.... :D

You are right she's an NFP. It would be hard to determine if she's I vs. E. Also, enfj are so Extravert that enfp could seem like an introvert. I know that from experience. Whenever I'm around my enfj friend, I become an introvert. Her enneagram type could play a part, I don't know.