User Tag List

123 Last

MBTI
    fool

Default before sunrise/sunset

So, any thoughts on the characters' types?

I'll suggest xNFJ for Celine and some xNxP for Jesse. It's really hard to tell whether they prefer introversion or extraversion actually. My initial impression was INFJ for Celine (in before sunrise) but in the sequel she seems waay more E. Seems like a very subtle line for her, anyways.

Jesse... I don't know, a very rational ENFP?

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

Two of my favorite movies. Anyway, I'd actually switch those typings... I really feel that Celine is INFP and Jesse is almost a prototypical male ENFJ. I think that Celine is a bit too all over the place and too high on Fi to be an NFJ. Jesse is all about connecting with people and is a charmer (high Fe).

And I agree that Celine seems much more extraverted in the sequel. In Before Sunrise, I definitely felt that she was introverted and just happened to really connect with Jesse. I think that Julie Delpy is ENFP, though.

I don't have time to elaborate right now, but I'll try to later.

Instigator, First Class LovelyAngel's Avatar
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

I donít think I can add to the specific typing of Jesse and Celine... Iím not sure I even want to think about it that much.

I just wanted to add that Before Sunrise / Sunset are two of my favorite movies. I even have a 4-foot by 6-foot street poster:

Iím warmed by the fact that you both consider Jesse and Celine to be NFs. Ah, I love a good romance!
    "There is always something to do. There are hungry people to feed, naked people to clothe, sick people to comfort and make well. And while I don't expect you to save the world I do think it's not asking too much for you to love those with whom you sleep, share the happiness of those whom you call friend, engage those among you who are visionary and remove from your life those who offer you depression, despair and disrespect."
    -- Nikki Giovanni

Senior Member the state i am in's Avatar
    MBTI
    infj
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

i thought infj for celine.

i think ethan hawke is enfj and i think julie delpy is infj. she could possibly be infp. the director richard linklater is, i think, an enfp.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    4sop
    Socionics
    IEE

Oh I love love these two movies. I haven't watched them in a while. Oh, I so want a poster of them.

Celine...infp/enfp/isfp - doesn't seem J at all, seems to have very strong internal values
    Jesse...I really don't know - more cynical than Celine, more down-to-earth and rational - istp?

MBTI
    fool

I like the movies too!

Actually at first I did think ENFJ for Jesse but I gave that thought up when I was thinking Celine as xNFJ too...

I don't know, I kind of thought infj for Celine because she was so open about herself (I kind of felt Jesse was more reserved to reveal himself actually, the whole time they were discussing I just got this feeling like he was the "listener" sort of) and in the sequel she comes off even more as a J, to me. And when she was apologizing to Jesse about not being on the trainstation she's just very Fe (apologizing over and over and over again, which I consider to be kind of Fe-ish, or it would at least make sense) Also in the taxi in the second movie she had a Fe moment ..

Also, she's soo passionate about the causes she's drawn to (environmental) and is also actively involved in them (making shit happen).

ENFJ makes sense to Jesse, how he gets her to open up without revealing that much about himself, really. (At least at first).

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram
    9w1

I definitely think they're both NFs. I had a friend watch a clip from the movie to get a second opinion, and she thought that Celine came across as ISFP, but I can't see either of them being sensors given how interested they are in discussing abstract topics. Plus, the movies seem to have pretty widespread appeal among NFs.

Quote Originally Posted by tibby View Post
    I don't know, I kind of thought infj for Celine because she was so open about herself (I kind of felt Jesse was more reserved to reveal himself actually, the whole time they were discussing I just got this feeling like he was the "listener" sort of) and in the sequel she comes off even more as a J, to me. And when she was apologizing to Jesse about not being on the trainstation she's just very Fe (apologizing over and over and over again, which I consider to be kind of Fe-ish, or it would at least make sense) Also in the taxi in the second movie she had a Fe moment ..

Also, she's soo passionate about the causes she's drawn to (environmental) and is also actively involved in them (making shit happen).
    I see a lot of these things as more Fi than Fe. She's passionate about causes, but in a "this is a deeply held value that is important to me" way more than a people-focused way. She's also so neurotic (adorably so) and stuck in her own head, and she seems to care quite a lot about being consistent, authentic, and original. Those aren't things I associate quite as much with NFJs (well, other than the neuroticism!). Particularly in Before Sunrise, she seems so focused on being consistent and true to her values -- finding herself, if you will. Contrast that with Jesse, who is engaging but a little bit more reserved, more focused on her, and whose expressed opinions seem a little bit more malleable (because they aren't based in Fi, IMO). NFP vs. NFJ.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    4w5

Quote Originally Posted by hokie912 View Post
    I definitely think they're both NFs. I had a friend watch a clip from the movie to get a second opinion, and she thought that Celine came across as ISFP, but I can't see either of them being sensors given how interested they are in discussing abstract topics. Plus, the movies seem to have pretty widespread appeal among NFs.

I see a lot of these things as more Fi than Fe. She's passionate about causes, but in a "this is a deeply held value that is important to me" way more than a people-focused way. She's also so neurotic (adorably so) and stuck in her own head, and she seems to care quite a lot about being consistent, authentic, and original. Those aren't things I associate quite as much with NFJs (well, other than the neuroticism!). Particularly in Before Sunrise, she seems so focused on being consistent and true to her values -- finding herself, if you will. Contrast that with Jesse, who is engaging but a little bit more reserved, more focused on her, and whose expressed opinions seem a little bit more malleable (because they aren't based in Fi, IMO). NFP vs. NFJ.
    All the stuff above describes an enfp. She reminds me of myself. Celine is an enfp. We are a hard type to guess. Because we can look like infjs, enfjs, esfps. We are a complex type.

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    4w5

Jesse reminds me of an infj or infp.

Quote Originally Posted by Ratsimoan View Post
    All the stuff above describes an enfp. She reminds me of myself. Celine is an enfp. We are a hard type to guess. Because we can look like infjs, enfjs, esfps. We are a complex type.
    i am just starting to watch this movie, i watched it years ago but only with half eye...
    and i think she's more enfp than infp. she's very bubbly. at least first 10 minutes, where i am now.