• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What type is House?

What type is House?

• INTP

Votes: 72 18.0%
  • INTJ

Votes: 120 30.0%
  • INFP

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • INFJ

• ISTP

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • ISTJ

• ISFP

• ISFJ

• ESFJ

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • ESFP

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • ESTJ

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • ESTP

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • ENFJ

• ENFP

• ENTJ

Votes: 25 6.3%
  • ENTP

Votes: 148 37.0%

• Total voters

Mycroft

The elder Holmes
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
5w6
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
The INTJs all think he's INTJ, most others think he's INTJ, and specifically, the INTJ doctor thinks he's an INTJ.

May I again point out that I don't?

Be careful with superlatives; they'll lose you many an argument. (Particularly with those damned XNTPs.)

P.S. Who is the INTJ doctor?

Nonpareil

MBTI Type
INTJ
This reminds me of my psychology prof telling the class that we will learn everything we need to know about the human mind by memorizing the textbook. It was then I realized how little people really know how to "think outside of the box". Since when could the human mind be broken down to words on a page? Facts and information can always be twisted into something with enough information to pad (distort) the original facts/information. It doesn't matter how smart someone is, we all do it at some point.

Seeing how House is a fictional character, it is very easy for us to fill in the missing information according to our own bias.

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
I wasn't talking about you.

I wasn't the SP with the limited Ni you were talking about?

You left out the third option which is, observe behavior, and instead of matching it up to types, I match it up to cognitive functions.

You observe an actors emulating behaviour of a particular type and match it up to an abstraction. It is the exact same thing as everyone else is doing... Functions were derived from behaviour.

As far as you using the "system", you are not using the MBTI approach. MBTI uses no function derived questions to determine type. Functions are only assumed from behaviour - which of course is the point. There is a reason why the functional tests are not used anywhere anytime - they don't work (although the reason for this is different).

The combinations that come up most commonly are the ones that decide his type. In this case, he connects two situations (that's how he solves the cases almost every time) and then he detaches for a moment to make sure it makes sense. Either that, or he skips the detachment period and goes to his team and asks them to make sure it makes sense.

I'd say "have you worked with an INTJ", but I know that'd be useless. Functionally, however, it doesn't make much difference - what you wrote reads like a horoscope. Most people solve problems in a very similar manner (the "answer came to me", or "I saw this and it made me think").

Only problem is that it's missing most of the tossed around definitions (here)... and stuff like the curiousity, the open mindedness, the big picture... well, just about everything. That is, compared to the Ni view of having the information "inside of us, waiting to be found"... same goes for Ti and Te.

The key points of his character (the points that emphasise his nature) are all functionally correct for an INTJ (read: the behaviour that led to the conclusion that there must be functions are exhibited by him...).

Functions aren't some objective measurement - they are assumed based on common behaviours. When someone says "he is just like very INTJ I know" they are deducing a collective amount of behaviours that associate to the functions - exactly the same as you are doing, just with actual experience rather than an abstraction.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Final Answer = Both but INTJ.

A particular pattern has come to my attention in regard to type development. I first noted it in relation to my own type.

INTP -> ENTJ -> ESFJ
The basic idea is that your shadow represents your weakness. To develop you are going to have to deal with your shadow and make it a strength. However to do this you are crossing a large gap and so I added a middle step. To me learning how to be more ENTJ was far easier than learning to be an ESFJ to begin with but by learning how to be more ENTJ like I was actually progressing towards learning about ESFJ too.

How does this apply at all?

INTJ -> ENTP -> ESFP

House is an INTJ. The noted instances of more ENTP style behaviour are to be expected according to the pattern I have observed.

Ergo he's both INTJ and ENTP in instances but in preference he's an INTJ.

(I realise this sounds like me fitting something to reinforce my thinking but the pattern existed long before I even looked at House. It just didn't occur that the pattern matched until I was walking home last evening.)

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
One curious thing... at the end of the show last night.
Cuddy asks, "Are the games going to stop now?"
House retorts, "How long have you known me?"
The implication being that he is "all about games" and therefore they're never going to stop.

Now I might be a weird INTJ, but I hate games with a passion.
I hate silliness.
I hate pranks.
I think the whole world would be a lot better off if everyone stopped messing around and got serious.
(Well, at least that's the attitude I grew up with and maybe every now and then it rears its ugly head.) ;)

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
***starts wondering about experiment where INTJMom is drunk and see what happens***

You know that an INTJs shadow is ESFP right?
How can you deny fun? It's kind of intrinsic to INTJs no matter how much they protest.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
(You didn't tell me: are you male or female?)

I saw that comment yesterday. The only time I act like an ESFP (as far as I know) is when there's a band playing.

One of the other points made yesterday is when Wilson pointed out that House played all these games for the purpose of controlling people.
Then at the end, we find out he won the game when he manipulated Cuddy into letting him hire 3 people instead of 2.

(I don't need the speech about how one episode doesn't make a person.)

All the behavior should fit.

Why don't you explain shadow more for us?

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Or is this what you had in mind:

Recognising Stress
As stress increases, 'learned behaviour' tends to give way to the natural style, so the INTJ will behave more according to type when under greater stress.
For example, in a crisis, the INTJ might:

-retire to a private place and think through a problem until the INTJ has formulated a complete plan for solving it
-try to maintain a high degree of quality in the solution
-criticise others' ideas, particularly if they involve compromising quality
-make errors of fact, or pursue ideas that are unrealistic

Under extreme stress, fatigue or illness, the INTJ's shadow may appear - a negative form of ESFP.
Example characteristics are:

-doing things to excess - e.g.: eating, drinking or exercising
-acting very impulsively, perhaps starting off more projects than the INTJ could hope to accomplish
-expressing emotions in an intensive and uncontrolled way
-being very sensitive to criticism
-asking for lots of information that is irrelevant

INTJ Personality Types

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Yup you got it girlie :D

Btw what does my gender have to do with it?

(Ohhh soo tempted to add "trust me I'm a doctor" :devil: )
You realise you could track me quite easily back to my blog and everything I put on INTPc like for the last couple of years!! [man that sounds sad now I say it :( ]

If it alters your perceptions of me at all then I can confirm (says he holding a mirror) that I iz definitely a bloke. If you want proof then I could send you a picture of my stubble :D (Bet you were wondering where that sentence was going :devil: )

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Yup you got it girlie :D

Btw what does my gender have to do with it?

(Ohhh soo tempted to add "trust me I'm a doctor" :devil: )
You realise you could track me quite easily back to my blog and everything I put on INTPc like for the last couple of years!! [man that sounds sad now I say it :( ]

If it alters your perceptions of me at all then I can confirm (says he holding a mirror) that I iz definitely a bloke. If you want proof then I could send you a picture of my stubble :D (Bet you were wondering where that sentence was going :devil: )
I only asked because yesterday I called you "my hero" and you responded using the pink hair girl smilie - :smile: - so I didn't know if you were actually my "heroine".

As far as tracking you goes. I live in the US and I may never get to England again as long as I live, so I think you're safe.
(You do own a sharp looking car, though.) ;)

BTW: you're the only male INTP whose reasoning doesn't drive me insane.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
I only asked because yesterday I called you "my hero" and you responded using the pink hair girl smilie - :smile: - so I didn't know if you were actually my "heroine".
:smile: Thass cuz I'm cute.

(oh and it's taken so many years to not wretch at that word!! :) )
As far as tracking you goes. I live in the US and I may never get to England again as long as I live, so I think you're safe.
(You do own a sharp looking car, though.) ;)
:eek:
BTW: you're the only male INTP whose reasoning doesn't drive me insane.
:hug:

I love the reasoning btw, you're not driving me insane ergo you're female.
I have been known as a lesbian in man's body but that another story :)

I'm glad you find my thinking up to scratch. Most seem to think it's just worth a scratch of the head ;)

Usehername

On a mission
One curious thing... at the end of the show last night.
Cuddy asks, "Are the games going to stop now?"
House retorts, "How long have you known me?"
The implication being that he is "all about games" and therefore they're never going to stop.

Now I might be a weird INTJ, but I hate games with a passion.
I hate silliness.
I hate pranks.
I think the whole world would be a lot better off if everyone stopped messing around and got serious.
(Well, at least that's the attitude I grew up with and maybe every now and then it rears its ugly head.) ;)

I love games. I love silliness, I love pranks. In fact, I just spent the past 8 months writing anonymous Dr. Seussian-style poetry to someone I knew from a few years ago on their blog full of hints trying to get them to figure out who I was. And 8 months is not my longest running prank. I love games with a passion!

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I love games. I love silliness, I love pranks. In fact, I just spent the past 8 months writing anonymous Dr. Seussian-style poetry to someone I knew from a few years ago on their blog full of hints trying to get them to figure out who I was. And 8 months is not my longest running prank. I love games with a passion!
What is your type?

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
...[comment about car] :eek:...
tee-hee
I thought that might strike up your paranoia. :D

What happened was: after the pink girlie smilie yesterday, I clicked on your profile to see if I could discern if you were male or female. I could not, but there was a link for your blog. I searched your blog in vain for the answer to my question, which is why I had to ask you. And of course, in your blog you have a picture of a car that is "like" yours. Voila.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
I wasn't the SP with the limited Ni you were talking about?
That part specifically yes, I was talking about you. But I didn't say weak Ni, I just said Ni. You added that yourself.

You observe an actors emulating behaviour of a particular type and match it up to an abstraction. It is the exact same thing as everyone else is doing... Functions were derived from behaviour.

As far as you using the "system", you are not using the MBTI approach. MBTI uses no function derived questions to determine type. Functions are only assumed from behaviour - which of course is the point. There is a reason why the functional tests are not used anywhere anytime - they don't work (although the reason for this is different).

I'd say "have you worked with an INTJ", but I know that'd be useless. Functionally, however, it doesn't make much difference - what you wrote reads like a horoscope. Most people solve problems in a very similar manner (the "answer came to me", or "I saw this and it made me think").

Only problem is that it's missing most of the tossed around definitions (here)... and stuff like the curiousity, the open mindedness, the big picture... well, just about everything. That is, compared to the Ni view of having the information "inside of us, waiting to be found"... same goes for Ti and Te.

The key points of his character (the points that emphasise his nature) are all functionally correct for an INTJ (read: the behaviour that led to the conclusion that there must be functions are exhibited by him...).
Most of the above is wrong, if not bullshit, or small minded.
Functions aren't some objective measurement - they are assumed based on common behaviours. When someone says "he is just like very INTJ I know" they are deducing a collective amount of behaviours that associate to the functions - exactly the same as you are doing, just with actual experience rather than an abstraction.
If that's what they're doing, then they're fucking idiots, but I doubt seriously that you can speak for them, and be correct, since no one else even brought up functions 'til I did.

You keep mentioning abstractions as if they're a bad thing. The functions are defined, by abstraction. That's how it works. Otherwise everyone would have their own definition. If we did that with language, then no one would have a clue what anyone was talking about. That's why we have dictionaries. Are you against the use of dictionaries?

There has to be an abstract definition for these functions, or else ENTP to one person might mean ISFP to someone else. Ti has a rigid definition, as defined by its name; if you really contemplate the words themselves and what they mean with the assigned attitude, it makes a lot of sense.

These 'abstractions' are designed to be the trainrails for people to use - a template, nothing more. They're rigid, so type doesn't have to be. Otherwise there would literally only be sixteen distinguishable personas, and I have to tell you, I've never once met two people who act exactly the same.

It's not about the four letters. Those are decided by the functions someone uses. When someone is answering the test, it's supposed to be asking them 'what functions do you use' in a way such that they don't have to know the names of them to answer accurately. Then it GIVES them a type, which, yes, is the way to infer what functions a person uses.

It all boils down to individual behavior though. You can be a J and act more 'P' than someone else. NFJs often test as Ps because the normal association of P and J is understood to be the difference between organized and messy. That's not the case with NFJs. Some of them are organized, some of them aren't.

Keeping this in mind, we have to remember that you can go for a holistic approach, and guess type, or you can actually FIGURE IT OUT, without giving them the test mentally, or asking them to take it, by looking at what they do.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If one INTJ supporter could point out an ongoing reliance on Ni I'd be grateful.

If one INTJ supporter could explain away the airplane episode or his reliance on a team (not people he knows!) I'd be grateful.

Nonpareil

MBTI Type
INTJ
If one Ni supporter could actually explain what they are talking about, I'd be grateful.

All I hear is someone saying that his is right and everyone else is not only wrong, but stupid. All I see is someone who likes to hear himself talk. All I see is someone who lacks the ability to think outside a textbook and fills in information to what suits his definition. House is a fictional character and I've never seen such strong words used by one such person on this thread to try to tell other people that he is right.

I would be happy to see him argue his points with actually facts instead of his own interpretation of it - I don't need to listen to him abuse other people because of his own bias. It's one thing thinking a person is a particular type, it's another thing shooting everyone down because we disagree with him.

House is fictional! :doh:

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If one Ni supporter could actually explain what they are talking about, I'd be grateful.

All I hear is someone saying that his is right and everyone else is not only wrong, but stupid. All I see is someone who likes to hear himself talk. All I see is someone who lacks the ability to think outside a textbook and fills in information to what suits his definition. House is a fictional character and I've never seen such strong words used by one such person on this thread to try to tell other people that he is right.

I would be happy to see him argue his points with actually facts instead of his own interpretation of it - I don't need to listen to him abuse other people because of his own bias. It's one thing thinking a person is a particular type, it's another thing shooting everyone down because we disagree with him.

House is fictional! :doh:
Thank you!

ENTP