• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What type is House?

What type is House?

• INTP

Votes: 72 18.0%
  • INTJ

Votes: 120 30.0%
  • INFP

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • INFJ

• ISTP

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • ISTJ

• ISFP

• ISFJ

• ESFJ

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • ESFP

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • ESTJ

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • ESTP

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • ENFJ

• ENFP

• ENTJ

Votes: 25 6.3%
  • ENTP

Votes: 148 37.0%

• Total voters

TaylorS

Aspie Idealist
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
Right, exactly. In the case of an NFJ (it's the easiest and most likely misconstruction) one might score as highly intuitive on the test, but very low on the J section, because the questions usually are about having a clean desk or being late to appointments.

Ni working with Fe (the NFJ functions) most definitely do not drive one to clean up their desk without being told, or to be on time for appointments, unless it's for a date or to meet a friend. They're pretty reliable in that shit.

So the NFJ, might score as an NFP, which would imply Ne and Fi, even though it's incorrect measurement.

What they ought to do, is describe the functions, but put them in context, or ask type specific questions. It would be more reliable that way.

You can talk all you want about its 'approved legitimacy' or reliability or whatever. In my experience, the tests don't hold much water. Seriously... it marked me as a damn ISTP. I don't know if I've ever Se'd. I probably have.

I mistyped myself as an INTP for a long time because of exactly that. There is no one set of "J" and "P" traits because J/P simply marks whether the main function you show off Te/Fe or Se/Ne to the world. It was when at work when my supervisor (an ENTP) poked fun at my natural tendency to "become the boss" and order people around when he wasn't there that I realized that I was showing an axillary Te to the world, and filtering information through a dominant Ni (I don't need to bounce ideas off the outside world like INTPs and ENTPs do), and I thus am an INTJ.

IMO the tests are good when it comes to F/T and S/N, they suck at the other 2.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
He is probably an ENTP. He can't function without his team brainstorming ideas. Those sessions are the core of his process and they are the epitome of Ne dominance over Ti. I think he needs people so that he can be snarky and annoyed. He would be quite bored without that outlet for stirring up contention. He is quite invested in getting reactions out of people and impacting them. An extreme introvert really doesn't care so much about people's reactions. When they do, they are being less introverted.

Interestingly enough he fits the typelogic profile of the ISTP down to the last detail. I'm not certain what to make of that, but I'll throw it out there as a possibility as well.

TaylorS

Aspie Idealist
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
so/sp
I would argue that this is simply any NT seeking to be seen as a genius and competent at what they do.

Can any NTs argue that this isn't the case for them, intraverted or extraverted, J or P?

I'm an INTJ and I defintely don't need other people to bounce ideas off of, my ideas come almost like "revelations" out of the depths of my unconscious mind. what I will do, via Te, is to try to put them into the "outside world" so I can see if they they fit objective reality or not. The XNTJ way of thinking has much in common with the "falsificationist" philosophy of science outlined by Austrian philosopher Karl Popper (who I suspect was an INTJ), throw out any crazy Ni-ispsired idea you want as long as Te tests it in the real world to see if it;s BS or not.

XNTP thinking to mee seems more "induction-based", information comes first, which is then filtered through the individual's inner "model of how things are".

Thus INTJs and INTPs have opposite Achilles's heels, the former can forget the test their wonderful Ni-based revelations against their outside world while that latter can ignore data that conflict with their Ti-based model of the world. INTJs at their worst are cranks, INTPs at their worst are dogmatic.

Situation #1
I am an extrovert.
I sit alone staring into blank space absent-mindedly tapping my cane on the floor whilst thinking through a problem.

Situation #2
I am an introvert.
Whilst walking along I have a brilliant idea and immediately engage the next person who I speak to in a conversation about it to see how it pans out when I say it out loud.

Sorry but I reckon that situation #2 is far more in keeping with what I've observed of people.

As PT was pointing out (the most damning "evidence" IMO) House comes to conclusions. He does not discuss possibilities and argue for his point of view, he states and he corrects succinctly and precisely. House leaves little room for discussion and hands out orders not suggestions. He does enjoy an argument but not for the sake of the argument but for the sake of peering over his victim and showing that he is the superior brain.

House has a team, it seems, to feed him information. House does not do scans or take blood samples or give shots he just directs. When working on a problem House is either analysing someone's response (verbally because otherwise the viewer would get bored) or is silent and is feeding off the information being tossed about. House will then sum up what the current situation is (presumably for the viewer) and then either decides if it's clear cut or will delegate the decision and the responsibility to someone else (is that not an INTJs reaction to uncertainty given the situation?).

Now to a bit of nuance on the actor...
This is a Brit trying to play an American. Now as all us Brits know you Yanks are a brash, loud, overly aggressive and extroverted lot. Even your introverts.(;)) Hence perhaps there's a little artistic license?

I was leaning towards Nocap's ENTP argument until I read this. The bolded part sounds so much like me it's hilarious!

Ok, scratch that, I'm back to thinking he's an ENTP. More precisely he is an abused, misanthropic ENTP with Asperger's Syndrome, the last of which was strongly implied at the very least in the episode a few years ago with the autistic kid and House throwing a fit over getting to keep his blood-stained carpet. His childhood explains part of his misanthropy, the conflict between his extroversion and the issues with socializing and with social norms resulting from Asperger's Syndrome explains the rest of it. Thow in his cronic pain and symptoms of depression and you've got House.

As for the other characters:

Wilson: ENFJ with dependency issues
Cuddy: ESFJ(?)
Foreman: ISTJ
Cameron: INFJ
Chase: ISTP
13: ENFP(?)
Kutner: no clue
Taub: INTJ(?)
Amber: ESTJ

Last edited by a moderator:

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As for the other characters:

Wilson: ENFJ with dependency issues
Cuddy: ESFJ(?)
Foreman: ISTJ
Chase: ISTP
13: ENFP(?)
Kutner: no clue
Taub: INTJ(?)
Amber: ESTJ

When I've see Wilson, I've think "damn, this guy is totally the opposite of House". But he's actually near totally the opposite. They have preference for intuition in common. I think the Wilson/House relation is an INFJ/ENTP relation of supervision.

Cuddy seems to be rather affective, so ESFJ.

I've seen INTJ for Foreman, but I'm disagree because he's largely more concerned with his social role than in intellectuals issues, so an SJ rather an NT and he's very factious, he's ISTJ

Agree to type Cameron as INFJ, even if she's maybe, rather extrovert than introvert. 13 could effectively be ENFP. Amber is the ESTJ dual of Wilson.

Kutner is the most prone doctor of the team to follow the House's method: basic ESTP/ENTP relation of cooperation. He's very extrovert, practical, risk-takers and logic so, ESTP.

Cenomite

Systematic chaos
MBTI Type
ENTP
House (other characters)

Types of characters on House that aren't House? I haven't found this thread anywhere...

A list to get people started:

- Wilson:
- Foreman:
- Chase
- Thirteen:
- Cameron:
- Cuddy:
- Taub
- Kutner:
- Vogler:
- Amber:

redacted

- Wilson: INFJ
- Foreman: ISTJ
- Chase: INTP?
- Thirteen: INFJ
- Cameron: ENFJ
- Cuddy: ISFJ?
- Taub: INTJ
- Kutner: ISFP?
- Vogler: ESTJ
- Amber: ENTJ

and House: ENTP

hokie912

MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
9w1
The only ones I'm confident on are Wilson as INFJ and Cameron as ENFJ. I would guess Chase to be an ISTP and Foreman and Taub to be INTJ. I don't really get Thirteen, but I suppose INFJ seems right. Am I the only one who gets an ENTJ read on Cuddy?

zarc

MBTI Type
Zzzz

Chase: INTP
Cuddy: ISFJ
Kutner: ESFP
Amber: ETSJ (Can't recall well enough. Will check over)

Agree with the rest aside from Vogler as I can't recall him much at all. But what little I do recall generally points to ESTJ, though not to say he isn't ESTJ.

Edit:Oh, I'm beginning to wonder if Wilson is INFP, eh. Need to mull over Thirteen some more.

Bougal

HUZZAH!
MBTI Type
ENTP
- Wilson: ISFP
- Chase: INTP (gets the most kicks out of Houses jokes and is very creative.)
- Thirteen: INTJ
- Cameron: eSFJ
- Cuddy:EN-J (I see T)
- Taub: iNTj
- Kutner: eSFP
- Amber: ESTJ

thisGuy

MBTI Type
entp

cuddy: ENFJ....definately not ENTJ, she might come across as a T because thats the only way she can deal with house himself

kutner: xSTP...though he does have some brilliant ideas that scream N, but he just doesnt seem that 'lost'

plaguerat

MBTI Type
INTJ
- Wilson: INFP
- Chase: INTP
- Thirteen: ISTJ
- Cuddy: ESFJ
- Kutner: ESTP
- Vogler: ENTJ/ESTJ (not sure, never really liked him enough to care much)

(As if it weren't disputed enough)-House: INTJ

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Types of characters on House that aren't House? I haven't found this thread anywhere...

A list to get people started:

- Wilson:INFJ
- Foreman:ISTJ
- Chase: ISTP
- Thirteen:xNFx
- Cameron:ENFJ
- Cuddy:ESFJ
- Kutner: ESTP
- Vogler:?
- Amber:ESTJ

Into It

MBTI Type
ENFP
House is such a great representative of the ENTP type that I would probably mention him first, if I were to need a character as an example of type.

I'm surprised that there are so many INTJ votes! Before I knew anything about typology, this was my first impression. ENTPs and INTJs have a lot of qualities in common if you break them down, but they do not look the same.

Here is a quote from typelogic. What I have put in bold in the following paragraph are the characteristics that I see most commonly in ENTPs, and the ones that, if I see repeated several times, prove to me that the person in question is an ENTP. House embodies all of these characteristics...in every episode.

ENTP

"Clever"is the word that perhaps describes ENTPs best. The professor who juggles half a dozen ideas for research papers and grant proposals in his mind while giving a highly entertaining lecture on an abstruse subject is a classic example of the type. So is the stand-up comedian whose lampoons are not only funny, but incisively accurate.

ENTPs are usually verbally as well as cerebrally quick, and generally love to argue--both for its own sake, and to show off their often-impressive skills. They tend to have a perverse sense of humor as well, and enjoy playing devil's advocate. They sometimes confuse, even inadvertently hurt, those who don't understand or accept the concept of argument as a sport.

ENTPs are as innovative and ingenious at problem-solving as they are at verbal gymnastics; [consider the way that House "makes games" out of things. For instance, House has something very dangerous that he wants to do, and he knows that he has to get permission to do it. Whereas 99% of the people would try to plead for permission, this his how he handles it: He asks for permission to do something insane and dangerous that he doesn't actually want to do, so that he will be denied permission, and then comes back later with the insane, dangerous thing that he wanted to do originally, and he is granted permission to do it because it sounds less crazy by comparison. Another example is that he wants to remember what happened on a bus before the crash. So, he prints pictures of the faces of everyone on the bus, and has people wear the pictures around their neck and sit in the respective spots on the bus to jog his memory. He has thus *invented* his way out of problems, and 'origination' is the essence of this type.]
ENTPs have been known to cut corners without regard to the rules if it's expedient -- or simply in the collapse of an over-ambitious juggling act. Both at work and at home, ENTPs are very fond of "toys"--physical or intellectual, the more sophisticated the better. They tend to tire of these quickly, however, and move on to new ones.

Ok, I'm also going to post my opinions for the rest of the characters.

Wilson: ENFJ (probably)
13: INxJ
Amber: ENTP
Kutner: ENFP. From Mirror, Mirror, an episode in which a patient with 'mirror syndrome' acts out the inner truths of whoever he is speaking to, he says to Kutner, "I love new. I gotta have new. If there's nothing new, I'll make it new." He's a classic ENFP. He looks foolish but is probably wise beneath.
House's detective buddy: ENTP
Black Guy who donated $100,000,000: ENTJ
Taub: INTJ (probably)
Foreman: ESTJ
Jesse Spencer, the blonde doctor from earlier seasons: xNTJ (?)
Cop who is the Yang to House's Yin - (IxTP?) (opinions on this guy?)
Cuddy: ESTJ?. She's dynamic and difficult to type...so the jury's still out on this one.
Charlatan Child Preacher with Brain Tumor: ENFJ

mortabunt

Permabanned
MBTI Type
type
Enneagram
INTP, because an INTJ wouldn't admit that they are wrong, and if he was an E, he would have more friends than Wilson.

Litvyak

No Cigar
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
if he was an E, he would have more friends than Wilson.

He's misanthropic, which doesn't make him an 'I' in itself. He has excellent communication skills, and he seems to be lonely all by himself - geniuses don't have many friends, especially wounded man-haters with a fucked up childhood.

ENTP

(Who could've possibly voted for ISFJ? Lolwtf...)