• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What type is House?

What type is House?

• INTP

Votes: 72 18.0%
  • INTJ

Votes: 120 30.0%
  • INFP

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • INFJ

• ISTP

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • ISTJ

• ISFP

• ISFJ

• ESFJ

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • ESFP

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • ESTJ

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • ESTP

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • ENFJ

• ENFP

• ENTJ

Votes: 25 6.3%
  • ENTP

Votes: 148 37.0%

• Total voters

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Gen's housemate has a grey's anatomy calander up in the kitchen... which character do you refer too?

It's at times like this I almost wish I watched TV...

I was joking, I don't know that other show hardly at all.

Haha.

House is a slut though.

Also, House is empathetic, he just uses his knowledge of other people to serve his own purposes. He just doesn't use it to feel what they are feeling.

Can't make the House being a woman fly though... Sorry.
House isn't much of a slut. Though he'd like to be.

They need to show him using call girls more often.

Dom

MBTI Type
ENFP
Haha.

House is a slut though.

Also, House is empathetic, he just uses his knowledge of other people to serve his own purposes. He just doesn't use it to feel what they are feeling.

Can't make the House being a woman fly though... Sorry.

Oh I may be changing my totally uneducated and inexperienced suggestion to ENTP as others have....

Maybe he does use it to figure what others are feeling, maybe he's just not going to let that get in his way... oh... now i'm back to switching between entp and entj..

Works

MBTI Type
INTP
House isn't much of a slut. Though he'd like to be.

They need to show him using call girls more often.

There's that great scene with Dr. Cuddy stripping in his mind. He rather figure out the problem then watch the strip tease. Hilarious insight into his mind.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
If house is an ENTP then his shadow is ISFJ right? Well where's that?

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
He really does care about the cases he takes on. You see that a lot.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
He really does care about the cases he takes on. You see that a lot.
That's true enough but that's simple caring... that's not ISFJ. I'd expect some kind of reference to socially excepted norms with an ISFJ shadow yet I've seen none. He appears to treat such things with distain.

Now you could make a case for that being part of the self loathing but I've never seen any sense of anger towards the norms... just distain of them getting in the way of logical progress.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I'm watching it now- it's a rerun but I missed it when it was shown before. He's helping this doctor in Antactica and her self-exam over webcam is the best thing I've seen in ages.

I don't know where you people are getting introvert here!

Mondo

Welcome to Sunnyside
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
I think that House is an ENTP.
Extraverts don't have to be social and loving of other people.
I know of Extraverts who do fine (mostly EXTX types) with few friends.
He is clearly Ne-dominant.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP

Well in the first place, typing someone based on shadow is a joke.

Secondly, I can still play by your rules and win. Where's the ESFP?

Works

MBTI Type
INTP
I'm watching it now- it's a rerun but I missed it when it was shown before. He's helping this doctor in Antactica and her self-exam over webcam is the best thing I've seen in ages.

I don't know where you people are getting introvert here!

I love that episode.

But for argument's sake....

There is a lot of distance between the two of them though and that could make the interaction safe. Doesn't he decline the chance to get naked as well? (I may have made that up.) He's intimate with her, but it's not the same as a face to face interaction. How often is he openly intimate and physically close to someone in face to face interactions?

One could even argue that his outgoing and aggressive traits are used to keep people at a distance. It's a preemptive bark, so people stay away. It's lonely when you're at the top and House is at the top of most things and social situations.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I love that episode.

But for argument's sake....

There is a lot of distance between the two of them though and that could make the interaction safe. Doesn't he decline the chance to get naked as well? (I may have made that up.) He's intimate with her, but it's not the same as a face to face interaction. How often is he openly intimate and physically close to someone in face to face interactions?

One could even argue that his outgoing and aggressive traits are used to keep people at a distance. It's a preemptive bark, so people stay away. It's lonely when you're at the top and House is at the top of most things and social situations.

I assumed he declined because of his leg. Isn't it hideously deformed or something?

I wasn't really using the webcam makeout session/exam as evidence of extroversion. After all, plenty of introverts have cam sex every day. But his demeanor is so externally-oriented. He's so, so Ne.

Works

MBTI Type
INTP
I assumed he declined because of his leg. Isn't it hideously deformed or something?

I wasn't really using the webcam makeout session/exam as evidence of extroversion. After all, plenty of introverts have cam sex every day. But his demeanor is so externally-oriented. He's so, so Ne.

Oh, I forgot about the messed up leg. That would be a reason to decline getting naked.

I typed up something about only cranking up his Ne when his solitary activities were bothered, but erased it when I remembered he is still very externally focused when doing those because he finds insights into his cases or notices odd things as when he notices his favorite soap star was speaking slower.

Aerithria

Senior Thread Terminator
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
I used to think ENTP because of the whole Ne thing, but I've been rethinking it. XNTJ is way more likely. First of all, he doesn't do the brainstorming, he latches onto something that someone else brainstormed, so that kind of diminishes his use of Ne. Secondly, he is critical of everything and everyone, which is a clear indicator of Te. He tends to operate on a strict set of morals that he defines for himself (Fi), which aren't always understood by the rest of his team. Also, he routinely indulges himself through Vicodin and alcohol, which could be taken as a sign of unhealthy Se.

As for the N thing, I think he's using Ni, because he's not the one brainstorming, he just connects the dots after the idea's been brought up by someone else. If he could do the brainstorming himself, he wouldn't need his team. And it's not like a person can't have a well-developped trait that isn't normally part of their functions. I mean, no matter which way you look at it, either you have an XNTJ with a higher usage of Ne than normal or you have an XNTP with a ridiculously high usage of Te.

With the whole E/I issue, I think he's borderline middle so it's hard to say. I think he tends more towards introversion but is perceived to be an extrovert because of his well-developped extroverted trait. With most introverts, the way they come across to others tends to be as their extroverted counterpart due to the fact that their dominant trait isn't visible. The clearest example to me is when he went on "vacation" by leaving his phone off the hook and watching TV with alcohol. Then again, he is an unhealthy type no matter which way you look at it, so it's hard to say.

Oh, and if any of this was already said, I apologize. I was too lazy to read the whole thing.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Well in the first place, typing someone based on shadow is a joke.

Secondly, I can still play by your rules and win. Where's the ESFP?
Lol. Win all you like.. however don't you think the House-Cuddy dynamic is a little reminiscant of an ESFP kind of behaviour? He doesn't seem to take no for an answer and will chat her up way past what should be the usual cut off point... and yet when she says "come on then" he backs off. That sounds to me like an INTJ having fun with their ESFP side but stalling when their bluff is called.

As for typing by shadow being a joke,
#1 typing a TV character IS a joke... har har
#2 if the shadow is not present then you won't get some of the negative aspects of the type and hence not get a good match.
#3 Absolutes are for idiots, it's just another avenue of approach.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I used to think ENTP because of the whole Ne thing, but I've been rethinking it. XNTJ is way more likely. First of all, he doesn't do the brainstorming, he latches onto something that someone else brainstormed, so that kind of diminishes his use of Ne.

Hell, that's the definition of Ne: "Using this process we can really appreciate brainstorming and trust what emerges, enjoying imaginative play with scenarios and combining possibilities, using a kind of cross-contextual thinking."

It doesn't have to be his ideas.

As for the N thing, I think he's using Ni, because he's not the one brainstorming, he just connects the dots after the idea's been brought up by someone else.

Once again the definition of Ne: "This is like weaving themes and threads together. We don’t know the weave until a thought thread appears or is drawn out in the interaction of thoughts, often brought in from other contexts. Thus a strategy or concept often emerges from the here-and-now interactions, not appearing as a whole beforehand."

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Lol. Win all you like.. however don't you think the House-Cuddy dynamic is a little reminiscant of an ESFP kind of behaviour? He doesn't seem to take no for an answer and will chat her up way past what should be the usual cut off point... and yet when she says "come on then" he backs off. That sounds to me like an INTJ having fun with their ESFP side but stalling when their bluff is called.
No, I don't see that as ESFP exclusive. More likely, it's Pe induced behavior, which is pretty common of an ENTP, being Pe dominants and all...
It would certainly explain how commonly he does it. Being silly is the nature of extroverted perception, not Se supported by Fi.

As for typing by shadow being a joke,
#1 typing a TV character IS a joke... har har
So your logic is, "two wrongs DO make a right"?
#2 if the shadow is not present then you won't get some of the negative aspects of the type and hence not get a good match.
WHere's that proven? I don't display nearly ANY of my shadow and I have just that.
#3 Absolutes are for idiots, it's just another avenue of approach.
If absolutes are for idiots, then you'd have to mark yourself as such. #2 above is an absolute.

Another point I'd like to topple is one you made in a previous post.

Saying that House only appears E because it's the nature of a television show is farical. PLENTY of characters on this, and dozens of others are clearly introverts. It's not like it's impossible to demonstrate introversion on a TV show. House LOOKS E, because he IS E.

anii

homo-loving sonovagun
MBTI Type
infp
Enneagram
INTP: In my unscientific opinion, he's much too scruffy to be a J. Plus he doesn't seem to like playing by the rules.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
First off I apologise for being curt in my last post... it's nothing personal.. just how it came out. I only realised the error after I'd logged off for the day.
No, I don't see that as ESFP exclusive. More likely, it's Pe induced behavior, which is pretty common of an ENTP, being Pe dominants and all...
I'd say that few behaviours are exclusive. In fact I'd have to wonder if any are. Surely it is the prevalence of the behaviours which is indicative?
It would certainly explain how commonly he does it. Being silly is the nature of extroverted perception, not Se supported by Fi.
So INTJs aren't silly? ESFPs aren't silly? That surprises me. I've always noted the silly side of INTJs quite clearly... possibly as a reaction to their usual quite serious demeanour.
So your logic is, "two wrongs DO make a right"?
More that neither is right so why mark one down below the other when both are pretty equally daft. The whole thread is a little tapped... enjoyable but definitely tapped.
WHere's that proven? I don't display nearly ANY of my shadow and I have just that.
I'll have to take your word for that, I lack the experience of you to know enough to argue. All I'll say is that every person I've met (irl, I should note) in my life shows their shadow whether subconciously or conciously.
If absolutes are for idiots, then you'd have to mark yourself as such. #2 above is an absolute.
"not a good match"
I don't rule out the possibility that I am entirely wrong but to argue from such a standpoint would be very difficult and a little pointless. Hence I go with what I see as the best fit, the most possible answer, until other answers seem more likely to me.
Another point I'd like to topple is one you made in a previous post.

Saying that House only appears E because it's the nature of a television show is farical. PLENTY of characters on this, and dozens of others are clearly introverts. It's not like it's impossible to demonstrate introversion on a TV show. House LOOKS E, because he IS E.
What I'm saying is that House IS the show, pretty much. It could not continue without the character. That is not usually the case. Now for the show to really get people going you have to be drawn into House's world and I don't think that it would be to many people's taste if it was done without the whole illustrative side of House.

I still think he's INTJ. The whole aspect of not dallying over a decsion "It's that, now go and start on it right away" is NTJ in my book. As is the manner in which he makes decisions himself, not via a vote, though voting may be involved it is still his decision whether or not the vote is considered or rejected effectively making his vote worth more than all the others put together.

Another aspect which leads me to believe it's an introverted character is the manner in which he doesn't play with people, in the same kind of way as people play team games together. Instead he amuses himself with people. It's not a shared experience but done for himself and himself alone. Now I do recognise that such behaviour would also be present within an extrovert who didn't like people, but that wouldn't explain working with a team or seeking people out etc.

In my experience if someone is of the mindset where they don't like something, they avoid it. Where as if they are not comfortable with soemthing, like an introvert being constantly surrounded by people, then they come up with methods of coping with it, whether that be by limiting interaction or finding their own style of doing it with grace. What I see of House's behaviour makes me think it's more the latter than the former and hence introvert and not people hating extrovert.

Another thing is, how much do you actually find out about House? Sure he talks for ages but I don't think much is ever revealed about his background or history. Sure that could be a plot device but it's also reminiscant of introverts. Extroverts tend to display or communicate such things in with normal chit chat (you've got to run out of weather comments at some point so why not turn to history?).

That's another thing. Isn't House too focused to be an ENTP? If people are trying to tell me that I sound like an ENTP because I'm not focused enough in my thinking (well posting, to be accurate) then how can these same people think that House (a very focused thinker and communicator) is of the same type? I've always seen him as direct, to the point and quite linear in his communication. That to me is more the style of NTJ than NTP.

Aerithria

Senior Thread Terminator
MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Hell, that's the definition of Ne: "Using this process we can really appreciate brainstorming and trust what emerges, enjoying imaginative play with scenarios and combining possibilities, using a kind of cross-contextual thinking."

It doesn't have to be his ideas.

Once again the definition of Ne: "This is like weaving themes and threads together. We don’t know the weave until a thought thread appears or is drawn out in the interaction of thoughts, often brought in from other contexts. Thus a strategy or concept often emerges from the here-and-now interactions, not appearing as a whole beforehand."
Oh, really? Interesting. In light of my apparent function misunderstanding, I switch my vote to INTP.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Responding to Xander and Aeth.

If you think House is INTJ you don't fully understand introversion and extraveraion.
Its as simple as that.