• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What type is House?

What type is House?

• INTP

Votes: 72 18.0%
  • INTJ

Votes: 120 30.0%
  • INFP

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • INFJ

• ISTP

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • ISTJ

• ISFP

• ISFJ

• ESFJ

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • ESFP

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • ESTJ

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • ESTP

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • ENFJ

• ENFP

• ENTJ

Votes: 25 6.3%
  • ENTP

Votes: 148 37.0%

• Total voters

Brendan

Guerilla Urbanist
MBTI Type
ENFJ
Then you haven't been paying attention.

He requires an audience to bounce his ideas off of.

He's recruited people on a plane, a janitor, and will constantly hunt down Wilson or Cuddy.

And he's not exactly reflective.
I disagree. It seems to me that the reason he seeks audience with Cuddy is because he requires her approval to proceed in almost every situation he's presented with. Wilson he talks to because they're friends. The other doctors he seeks an audience with because he's in charge of them, and is something of a mentor to them. But there is nothing audience-seeking about the eureka moments he has. Not to mention, when he is forced to seek audience he's derisive, offensive and not hesitant to make it obvious that he'd rather not be seeking an audience.

I'm an extravert. I know an extravert when I see one. An extravert, House is not.

btdubbs, Wilson = ENFJ.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I disagree. It seems to me that the reason he seeks audience with Cuddy is because he requires her approval to proceed in almost every situation he's presented with. Wilson he talks to because they're friends. The other doctors he seeks an audience with because he's in charge of them, and is something of a mentor to them. But there is nothing audience-seeking about the eureka moments he has. Not to mention, when he is forced to seek audience he's derisive, offensive and not hesitant to make it obvious that he'd rather not be seeking an audience.

I'm an extravert. I know an extravert when I see one. An extravert, House is not.
He gets off on abusing his audience. He's lost without one.

He's a jerk. Still an extravert.

Brendan

Guerilla Urbanist
MBTI Type
ENFJ
He gets off on abusing his audience. He's lost without one.

He's a jerk. Still an extravert.
In the hospital, but that's only part of the larger picture. He doesn't live in the hospital, and when do we ever see him outside of the hospital in a way that is not in relation to whatever is taking place at the hospital? I'd need to see how he interacts with people independently of work in order to be convinced that he's an extravert.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
In the hospital, but that's only part of the larger picture. He doesn't live in the hospital, and when do we ever see him outside of the hospital in a way that is not in relation to whatever is taking place at the hospital? I'd need to see how he interacts with people independently of work in order to be convinced that he's an extravert.

IMO you just proved the point you're arguing against. He doesn't seem to have much of a life outside the hospital.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Yes, but it is how he thinks. Externally. Often on a large dry erase board. If we assume he's NT, then we're seeing a lot of Ne (ENTP) or Te (ENTJ).

I doubt he interacts with a lot of people outside his work. He doesn't like people. He does go out to bars and racetracks.

Siúil a Rúin

when the colors fade
MBTI Type
ISFP
Enneagram
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My vote is ENTP. On the show his primary mode of thought is brainstorming, which is supposedly the domain of Ne. He does rely on his team for his thought processes and there is a social role he relies on. He seems interested in social dynamics, even though his are contrary by nature.

Brendan

Guerilla Urbanist
MBTI Type
ENFJ
IMO you just proved the point you're arguing against. He doesn't seem to have much of a life outside the hospital.
How does that make him an extravert though?

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
How does that make him an extravert though?

What kind of introvert voluntarily spends 90% of his free time brainstorming and playing social games at work?

Brendan

Guerilla Urbanist
MBTI Type
ENFJ
What kind of introvert voluntarily spends 90% of his free time brainstorming and playing social games at work?
The fact that the show doesn't give us a glimpse of him outside of work doesn't imply that he spends all or even 90% of his time at the hospital. His life outside of work just isn't consequential to the story.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
The fact that the show doesn't give us a glimpse of him outside of work doesn't imply that he spends all or even 90% of his time at the hospital. His life outside of work just isn't consequential to the story.

The show has given us enough of a glimpse of him outside work to make that leap, IMO. He doesn't really know what to do with himself when he's not at work with a problem to solve.

entropie

Permabanned
MBTI Type
entp
Enneagram
His tendencies for lofty woman from the horizontal business probably makes him eNTp xDD Dont know how far the needs of iNTj go in that direction ;)

Thursday

Earth Exalted
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
8w9
Instinctual Variant
sp/sx
My vote is ENTP. On the show his primary mode of thought is brainstorming, which is supposedly the domain of Ne. He does rely on his team for his thought processes and there is a social role he relies on. He seems interested in social dynamics, even though his are contrary by nature.

right

inmypajamasi

MBTI Type
xNxx
This is a fun topic to discuss! Ahhh... now I can just read and relax...

I find it extremely playful of all of you to debate on House's MBTI. First of all, he isn't a real person. Secondly, does anyone even know if the person(s) who created the character of House had a particular MBTI type in mind when developing the story/script?

Still, his character was intriguing enough for me to Google the topic and wind up on this site.

I first found out about the series through a friend (ENTJ since birth) who told me that I reminded her of House and that House reminded her of me. So I got to watching the series, and I nearly fell off my chair. By golly, my ENTJ friend was definitely right.

Watching House was like watching myself!!! While I laughed at House, I laughed at myself...

...whenever I lead problem solving discussions in a small group, steering the group with my questions and churning out one possibility after another, explaining possible connections, weaving a very complicated web of interconnected ideas, and pointing out the possibility of false leads because of unknown/undetermined factors

...whenever I write down my predictions on slips of paper, and engage the members in my problem solving group in a little game of sorts

...whenever I plan and stage a dramatic/humorous/emphatic "I told you so" in the end

...whenever I spend hours obsessing on my hunches just to find the evidence to support them, or very introvertedly figuring out the intricacies of a problem or issue in my mind, switching the many combinations of possibilities on and off in my mind, in order to finally get to the bottom of things

...whenever I speak in front of larger audiences in my extremely self-aware, observant, entertaining, partly-humorous-partly-sarcastic-poking-fun-at-you-and-myself-at-the-same-time manner, and anticipate their reactions

...whenever I launch my little mad experiments on people, waiting for them to react to my provocations, until they paint themselves into a corner, in order to test my hypotheses about what's really going on

...whenever I predict how each one in the group is going to react and I just wait for people to play themselves out, and I sit back, relax and enjoy the show

...the many times I forget people's names while I'm talking to them, talking about them with others, or talking about them in their presence; or, when I forget where I last put things, and then I ask myself, "Where did House finally find what he was looking for?", and then I look for it there and I find it

...whenever I deal with superstitious people in a very frank (sarcastically funny) manner

...whenever I crawl back into my hole in order to nurse my physical and emotional aches and pains, only to let my very best friend in my circle of trust and vulnerability

...and so many more things I find in common with House, but if I list them down, I may never get my good night's sleep, and I would sound frightfully egocentric, knowing full well that this thread isn't about me or my MBTI type (But all that being said, who's gonna be the first one to guess correctly what my core MBTI type is?)

In short, I believe that HOUSE's MBTI type is just like mine but, I don't want to reveal it just yet. That would spoil my fun.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Oh boy. How did this little number get started again?

Dom, it's the Hugh Laurie thing with him as a miserable SOB Doctor in the states.

I'm still sticking with INTJ. This whole E thing I still maintain is intrinsic to it being a TV program and not part and parcel of the character itself. Holmes had Watson for such things but House lacks that 'in' for the audience... hence he leads people through his thinking. Without that all you'd get is the answer out of him and a whole load of "nope".

Works

MBTI Type
INTP
I think there is some disagreement on Introversion and Extroversion as independent traits and Introversion and Extroversion when paired with functions. The brainstorming helps House generate possibilities, but he's usually the one to come up with the brilliant diagnosis by himself during a seemingly unrelated activity.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I'm still sticking with INTJ. This whole E thing I still maintain is intrinsic to it being a TV program and not part and parcel of the character itself. Holmes had Watson for such things but House lacks that 'in' for the audience... hence he leads people through his thinking. Without that all you'd get is the answer out of him and a whole load of "nope".
Well, if we are just going to imagine a different character than the one shown...

*makes House empathetic*
*makes House a woman*
*makes House a slut*

Whoops, looks like he's a chick from Grey's Anatomy now!

Dom

MBTI Type
ENFP
I think there is some disagreement on Introversion and Extroversion as independent traits and Introversion and Extroversion when paired with functions. The brainstorming helps House generate possibilities, but he's usually the one to come up with the brilliant diagnosis by himself during a seemingly unrelated activity.

needs help to come up with possibilities? but makes a decision alone? ENTJ...

Though Xander has a point, there could be more talkign and brainstorming to led the audience through his thoughts and the soical think could be so the show appeals to an mostly extroverted society...

meh..

Hugh laurrie is very funny though... Ah Blackadder where are you....

Dom

MBTI Type
ENFP
Well, if we are just going to imagine a different character than the one shown...

*makes House empathetic*
*makes House a woman*
*makes House a slut*

Gen's housemate has a grey's anatomy calander up in the kitchen... which character do you refer too?

It's at times like this I almost wish I watched TV...

Works

MBTI Type
INTP

*makes House empathetic*
*makes House a woman*
*makes House a slut*

Haha.

House is a slut though.

Also, House is empathetic, he just uses his knowledge of other people to serve his own purposes. He just doesn't use it to feel what they are feeling.

Can't make the House being a woman fly though... Sorry.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Haha.

House is a slut though.

Also, House is empathetic, he just uses his knowledge of other people to serve his own purposes. He just doesn't use it to feel what they are feeling.

Can't make the House being a woman fly though... Sorry.

At least not until 20-30 years from now when they redo the series in an updated, gritty fashion and restyle House as a female character, thus breathing new life into the exploration of the archetypes.