• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What type is House?

What type is House?

• INTP

Votes: 72 18.0%
  • INTJ

Votes: 120 30.0%
  • INFP

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • INFJ

• ISTP

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • ISTJ

• ISFP

• ISFJ

• ESFJ

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • ESFP

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • ESTJ

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • ESTP

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • ENFJ

• ENFP

• ENTJ

Votes: 25 6.3%
  • ENTP

Votes: 148 37.0%

• Total voters

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
House is above all afraid to maintain any deep relationship. So, as a 5, he typically compenss that loneliness by a feeling that he is "superior" because he can "do without that" by opposition with everyone else. Your quote show above all that House tends to sabote his success, wich is a typical 6 thing. He has'nt the oniric world of a 5w4 and is too much analytical to be a 5w4. As a Social first, he like attention, but he has not conflict about his image, on other hand, the 6 wing reinforce his conflicts with power issues.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
Actually, I changed my mind.

House: ENTJ (I've thought about it, and he seems to be very in-charge rather than get-things-going.)
Cuddy: ISTJ
Wilson: ISFJ
Foreman: ESTJ (Si subtype)
Cameron: ESFJ
Chase: ISTP
Thirteen: (I think she's either badly written or badly acted, because while we are aware that her character is supposed to be a "moral compass" type, she still comes off as cold.)
Taub: ISTJ
Amber: ESTJ (Te subtype)
Kutner: EXTP
Lucas: ENTP

I don't know about the new folks. I'll have to watch more.

skylights

i love
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
so/sx
^ house does seem kind of in charge, but i also see that in the INTP 5s in my family when they're in their domains of expertise. very in charge.

He's fundamentally incapable of working through ideas without getting external input, which fits Ne-dominance better than Ti. His main motivation is likewise curiosity, which is Ne. And he has a very unhelthy Fe drive to validate his own feelings, which comes out as a dogmatic view that all humans are monsters, to feel better about being an asshole himself (which I originally thought was Fi, but an Fi type wouldn't care what anyone else was like -- its emotional state is its own).

And he's most definitely not a 7. Season 2 established that while he doesn't like his physical pain he clings to his emotional misery like a drowning man to a life raft (driven by his secondary 4 fix).

oh hai aleksei :)

true about 7. i have the same thought about 5 though, he's pretty engaged for a 5. do you really see him as a gut type over head though? i have a 1w2 family member, i can't even begin to imagine how she'd respond to house... i think she'd hate him. talk about how he has no goodwill and hates people. he is kind of uptight and he's in healthcare, but i thought one of the huge themes in the show was how house (in a bad state) just does medicine for the sake of curiosity, instead of for any "humane" reason. and he breaks rules right and left because he just doesn't really care, i have a hard time seeing that from a 1w2 (though i agree with you on wilson's 2w1 sx/so). like telling his team to sneak into people's houses or whatever, or announcing to the hospital that he's slept with cuddy. i think i'm convincing myself back to 5 - with him taking on the role of lead surgeon or team leader as he integrates to 8 and being a taunting jackass when he's disintegrating to 7. oh hey, that works with the drugs too.

i agree about Fe but an INTP could easily carry that too, my INTP brother thinks most people are idiots and is pretty vocal about it. he still seems to be surprisingly "narrow" for a Ne dom. his hobbies - motorcycle, running, music. his profession - diagnostics. honing in. maybe that's the 5 if he's ENTP, though.

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
House, Gut Triad, 1w2
He's pretty engaged for a 5

700281facepalm2.jpg

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
House is above all afraid to maintain any deep relationship.
...and he's an sx-dom, according to you? :coffee:

Your quote show above all that House tends to sabote his success, wich is a typical 6 thing.
Never heard that. What's your reasoning for that?

He has'nt the oniric world of a 5w4 and is too much analytical to be a 5w4. As a Social first, he like attention, but he has not conflict about his image, on other hand, the 6 wing reinforce his conflicts with power issues.
The problem is there's no evidence House likes attention. House spends his time lurking in his office or poking at people for his own amusement. That's the problem with the idea of House as a Social 5 -- he's not a guru type. He doesn't ever make himself useful, doesn't feel the need to be useful. He takes cases on his own time, for his own amusement and in service of him. Nobody else.

Forget I typed him a 1 -- it's not important, I just don't think Withdrawing fits him. What concerns me is that you think he isn't so-last, which, I repeat, is just dumb.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
House: ENTJ
House isn't an NTJ, because he 1) doesn't seek external data to ascertain methodology (Te), and 2) doesn't introspect to find ideas (Ni). Instead, he compulsively seeks brainstorming sessions to ascertain what might be wrong with his patient (Ne), and then uses his own McGyver-like methods to get the job done. An NTJ wouldn't even dare to flout hospital policy and ethics the way House does -- the actual NTJ in the group (Foreman) is forever telling him why his ideas are reckless and how they're gonna kill the patient. Of course Foreman himself started getting reckless, but then he worked for House for years -- it was bound to rub off (Te dom and all).

I already presented my argument on the rest.

(I've thought about it, and he seems to be very in-charge rather than get-things-going.)
That's Keirsey bullshit. It has nothing to do with MBTI or Jung functions.

oh hai aleksei :)
Hi. :)

true about 7. i have the same thought about 5 though, he's pretty engaged for a 5. do you really see him as a gut type over head though? i have a 1w2 family member, i can't even begin to imagine how she'd respond to house... i think she'd hate him. talk about how he has no goodwill and hates people. he is kind of uptight and he's in healthcare, but i thought one of the huge themes in the show was how house (in a bad state) just does medicine for the sake of curiosity, instead of for any "humane" reason. and he breaks rules right and left because he just doesn't really care, i have a hard time seeing that from a 1w2 (though i agree with you on wilson's 2w1 sx/so). like telling his team to sneak into people's houses or whatever, or announcing to the hospital that he's slept with cuddy. i think i'm convincing myself back to 5 - with him taking on the role of lead surgeon or team leader as he integrates to 8 and being a taunting jackass when he's disintegrating to 7. oh hey, that works with the drugs too.
Perhaps... The basis for 1 is more than anything disintegration into 4.

i agree about Fe but an INTP could easily carry that too, my INTP brother thinks most people are idiots and is pretty vocal about it. he still seems to be surprisingly "narrow" for a Ne dom. his hobbies - motorcycle, running, music. his profession - diagnostics. honing in. maybe that's the 5 if he's ENTP, though.
Well, INTPs can be very misanthropic and it doesn't necessarily have to have fuck-all to do with Fe, it doesn't mean necessarily your brother's ENTP. I think House's misanthropy is Fe-driven, because it was presented by the story that way -- his misanthropy is specifically motivated by a burning need to alleviate his own self-loathing. Which found that outlet.

guesswho

MBTI Type
ENTP
Ok, I'm bored, I'll get in the discussion (speculation)

1. I have never seen a "type 5" ENTP, as an extravert, you interact more than you observe, INTPs are type 5.

It's not that I'm disagreeing with you, but this is a little inconsistent.

2. House is Ne dom, but he doesn't really look like an ENTP to me.

I haven't seen ENTPs bully. They'd rather entertain everyone. (I'm not saying it's impossible, it's just unlikely)

An explanation would be that Hugh Laurie is not ENTP, and while playing this ENTP character, he brings some of his own traits, combining them with the ENTPness of the character.

So maybe this is why people are having trouble typing House....it's because the guy playing him isn't ENTP....(but I've read a page of his book and it seemed pretty ENTP to me)

I don't know.

(nah I was wrong...Hugh Laurie's ENTP)

Last edited:

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Hugh Laurie is, in all probability, actually ENTP (some sort of EP at any rate). He's actually more lively (and a lot nicer) than House is.

There's nothing to prevent an ENTP from being a miserable depressed asshole. And no, there's nothing to prevent one from being a type 5 either -- one only needs to look at the ultimate ENTP scientist, Leonardo Da Vinci (who was a 5w4).

/DG/

silentigata ano (profile)
*ahem* I haven't posted in here in a while, but I voted for INTJ and after learning more about MBTI and cognitive functions, I'm withdrawing the vote.

I still see the Ni in him, but there is NO Te. He doesn't control people, he analyzes the hell out of them with Ti. And I definitely see Ne in him as well. I can see why some people say ENTP, but I simply think he's too in his head and a loner for that.

INTP

ENTP comes in second

There is no way he has Te.

Orangey

Blah
MBTI Type
ESTP
Enneagram
6w5
House isn't an NTJ, because he 1) doesn't seek external data to ascertain methodology (Te), and 2) doesn't introspect to find ideas (Ni). Instead, he compulsively seeks brainstorming sessions to ascertain what might be wrong with his patient (Ne), and then uses his own McGyver-like methods to get the job done.

So he neither seeks external data nor introspects to find ideas? That sounds contradictory to me. It appears to me that he DOES seek external input, like you said, but then he uses his own mode of thinking to come up with his own ideas. Sometimes I even wonder why he has a team (other than to fuck with them and boss them around) since a lot of the time he comes up with the solution completely on his own, out of nowhere (or out of having coincidentally seen something happen or noticed some detail.)

An NTJ wouldn't even dare to flout hospital policy and ethics the way House does -- the actual NTJ in the group (Foreman) is forever telling him why his ideas are reckless and how they're gonna kill the patient.

No, that's because Foreman is very clearly an ESTJ.

That's Keirsey bullshit. It has nothing to do with MBTI or Jung functions.

What? Interaction styles are Berens'.

Malcontent

MBTI Type
abcd
There's nothing to prevent an ENTP from being a miserable depressed asshole. And no, there's nothing to prevent one from being a type 5 either -- one only needs to look at the ultimate ENTP scientist, Leonardo Da Vinci (who was a 5w4).

Btw, Leonardo Da Vinci was the classic renaissance man. ENTP 7w8. Michelangelo Buonarroti was the 5w4.

onemoretime

Dreaming the life
MBTI Type
3h50
Ok, I'm bored, I'll get in the discussion (speculation)

1. I have never seen a "type 5" ENTP, as an extravert, you interact more than you observe, INTPs are type 5.

It's not that I'm disagreeing with you, but this is a little inconsistent.

Very inconsistent. Particularly since House covers up his stress through anger (1), which is consistent with being a Seven.

2. House is Ne dom, but he doesn't really look like an ENTP to me.

I haven't seen ENTPs bully. They'd rather entertain everyone. (I'm not saying it's impossible, it's just unlikely)

ENTPs bully. A lot. It's usually unintentional and unconscious, though. House doesn't bully to enforce dominance over people; he does it to get a rise out of them, or because he's impatient with them. To him, that's not bullying - it's playing, or lashing out.

An explanation would be that Hugh Laurie is not ENTP, and while playing this ENTP character, he brings some of his own traits, combining them with the ENTPness of the character.

So maybe this is why people are having trouble typing House....it's because the guy playing him isn't ENTP....(but I've read a page of his book and it seemed pretty ENTP to me)

I don't know.

(nah I was wrong...Hugh Laurie's ENTP)

The reason it's tricky to type him is because if you depend on type descriptions, it's all messed up - as it should be, because House is one seriously depressed individual. That's why you have to go to functions. Best example of this is how he comes up with diagnoses - it's something in the external environment that symbolically signals it, leading to a logical conclusion.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
So he neither seeks external data nor introspects to find ideas? That sounds contradictory to me. It appears to me that he DOES seek external input, like you said, but then he uses his own mode of thinking to come up with his own ideas.
No. No he doesn't. He gathers his team round and then goes, "the patient has pooped a lung. Ideas?" He needs feedback to function, to the point that when he found himself teamless, he had to bounce ideas off the janitor. His episode-ending epiphanies are likewise always triggered, without exception, by something that draws parallels to the solutions triggering his brain gears -- never independently.

No, that's because Foreman is very clearly an ESTJ.
Show me the Si. Not that it matters, my point is that that's Te, as opposed to House's crazy awesome Ti.

What? Interaction styles are Berens'.
They're based on Keirsey's temperaments. And they're still bogus -- functions are mindsets rather than skillets, and have no real reason to correspond to a given interaction style.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
I still see the Ni in him, but there is NO Te. He doesn't control people, he analyzes the hell out of them with Ti.
I agree he isn't a Te type, but that isn't Te. Te doesn't seek control, it seeks competence (Ti seeks consistency, by contrast).

Speed Gavroche

Whisky Old & Women Young
MBTI Type
EsTP
Enneagram
6w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Show me the Si. Not that it matters, my point is that that's Te, as opposed to House's crazy awesome Ti.

As it has ever been said, Foreman also oppose Si to House's crasy awesome Ne, opposing often common sense, a more factual and basically scientist approach and the use of the Ockam's Razor.

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
As it has ever been said, Foreman also oppose Si to House's crasy awesome Ni, opposing often common sense, a more factual and basically scientist approach and the use of the Ockam's Razor.
Didn't we establish House isn't an Ni type?

kbxcomix

Sorry for bringing thread back :blush:

but the new characters are kinda interesting.
Dr. Chi Parker- ENTP maybe intp
Dr. Jessica Adams- ExFJ