• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What type is House?

What type is House?

• INTP

Votes: 72 18.0%
  • INTJ

Votes: 120 30.0%
  • INFP

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • INFJ

• ISTP

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • ISTJ

• ISFP

• ISFJ

• ESFJ

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • ESFP

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • ESTJ

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • ESTP

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • ENFJ

• ENFP

• ENTJ

Votes: 25 6.3%
  • ENTP

Votes: 148 37.0%

• Total voters

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
I'd even say he's pretty charismatic in some ways. Anyone else who does the shit he does (you know, all the ruthless, guiltless manipulation) would be shunned. But there's something charming about his curmudgeonliness. Cuddy even wanted to do him for awhile there.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Anybody considered the fact that he might be a xNTx?

I mean, he does seem to be more of an introvert to me, and if I had to pick one of the 16, I'd have to say INTJ, but I think he could be an ENTP as well.

Accordingly, it would seem his I/E and J/P are well balanced.

Which would make further sense, because, not to be overly narcissistic and partake in the naming of every character and/or artist you like as similar in type to yourself, I've been told a million times that I remind people of House (both physically and behaviorally), and that's essentially my MBTI makeup...

Aleksei

Yeah, I can fly.
MBTI Type
ENTJ
Enneagram
7w6
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
No he doesn't, he often seeks them out.
When? Whenever he's not on a brainstorming session he's playing with his cane or his ball or watching soaps (alone), or hiding in an exam room to avoid clinic duty (again, alone). His free time is spent reading, playing piano or playing guitar (alone). When does he seek people out, unless he wants something? When does he ever go to parties? etc.

bingo. ENTP.
Er, no; that's more of a P trait. It's not necessarily accurate, but Ps are described as more capable of synthesizing other people's ideas rather than coming up with their own (I have that problem).

Doesnt describe house at all /sarcasm
Can't take the charismatic bit out, otherwise you get a garden variety asshole rather than a sociopath, which is what House is.

I actually took an MBTI test based on my impression of House. Came out INTP, and very strong in all functions.

Ivy

Strongly Ambivalent
MBTI Type
INFP
Enneagram
Sometimes I wonder if I'm watching the same show as other people. If he's not charismatic, why is the show so popular? He's extremely charismatic. Charisma isn't just about friendliness. It's about magnetism.

Craft

Probably Most Brilliant
MBTI Type
INFJ
Enneagram
5w7
Instinctual Variant
sx/so
I haven't read the entire thread, but I suggest the functions approach.

Malcontent

MBTI Type
abcd
I think House is an ENTP, but he could be also an an ambivert NTP.

He has an high Ne function for sure, because the show is about his genius in solving puzzles with abductive reasoning that is an investigative/creative reasoning expecially Ne/Ti dom.

No way he is an INTJ. If you want to see an unhealthy INTJ, watch the movie "There will be blood" and compare Daniel Plainview with House. Can you see the difference?

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
for the love of god, house is NOT an intj. At all.

He has obvious Ne+Fe= skills at reading bodylanguage, behavior and apply a T model to it.
So yes his T analysis is always super detailed and everything. But that's because he's a FICTIONAL character with impossible deductive/abductive skills (thank you for the new word Malcontent <3 )

He instantly picks up information from his surrounding when coming into a room, That's Ne, not Ni.

He uses his team as a sounding board: Ne

All of his plans and schemes are about people rather than some career related endgoal.

He says whatever is on his mind, except when he lies to mess with people's head. Yet he almost never give sensitive information about himself.

His constant shadow of an amused smile

He procastinates

He needs to feel a measure of control in his relationships (distancing), yet doesn't seem to apply this principle to other people (one upmanship)

He runs from duties and other 'dead ends"

He cares but will never admit to it because he sees it as a weakness

How more fictional entp could he get?

EcK

The Memes Justify the End
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
Er, no; that's more of a P trait. It's not necessarily accurate, but Ps are described as more capable of synthesizing other people's ideas rather than coming up with their own (I have that problem).

Not really. I mean, most people are more capable of learning/synthetizing other people's ideas rather than coming up with something new.

The more creative/intelligent Js and Ps don't have this 'problem'. (I won't go into a deep analysis, don't want to)

In the past societies only needed a small % of creative individuals to adapt fast enough to cope with changing needs/conditions. So the gene and memepool reflect that.

Societies are creative, individuals rarely are.

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
When? Whenever he's not on a brainstorming session he's playing with his cane or his ball or watching soaps (alone), or hiding in an exam room to avoid clinic duty (again, alone). His free time is spent reading, playing piano or playing guitar (alone). When does he seek people out, unless he wants something? When does he ever go to parties? etc.

He constantly seeks out others to play with their heads. The best way to ensure House is all up in your life is to pretend you don't have a personal problem.

Sarcasticus

Circus Maximus
MBTI Type
ENTP
Enneagram
5w4
Wow 83 pages and 6 seasons later and we're still arguing about this.

Rhapsody

MBTI Type
INFP

To add to what MacGuffin said, House is constantly playing pranks on people, which is stereotypical ENTP behavior. If he were an INTP he'd be more likely to just sit back and observe, and if he were INTJ he would more than likely think that messing with people was pointless and inefficient unless it were contributing to a much larger goal (and the games he plays usually aren't).

I also agree with Ivy that he's quite charismatic. Remember the episode where he had to work for the CIA, and the lady doctor he had to work with liked him so much she quit her job with the CIA and came to Princeton Plainsboro? Yeah, House has some magnetism all right. Definitely not your garden variety asshole.

Billy

Crazy Diamond
MBTI Type
INFJ
I think people are being a little bit superficial based on his actions to describe his MBTI...

I believe he is an INTJ personally because I see a shitload of Ni in the way he thinks and gets to his answer. I see no real Ne, some people see his Te as Ne though by the way he knows so much about what people are thinking, but Ne in general doesnt do that, it doesnt boil things down to a single truth which is what House does.

Plus he is a major strategist, hes constantly moving pawn pieces, and he dissects peoples motives like I do and like my INTJ girlfriend does.

My opinion is that he is an INTJ

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
i think he's both.

which is entirely possible with a 'character'.

ajblaise

Minister of Propagandhi
MBTI Type
INTP
^ For real.

Writers mix and match conflicting aspects of personality for characters all the time.

Like having a sitcom character who is suppose to be dumb as rocks but always has witty things to say.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
^ For real.

Writers mix and match conflicting aspects of personality for characters all the time.

Like having a sitcom character who is suppose to be dumb as rocks but always has witty things to say.

:yes:

Killjoy

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
i think he's both.

which is entirely possible with a 'character'.

Agreed.

In the first season he was INTJ, but as the series wore on, they've attempted to make him more "human" (or at least, more interpersonal - ENTP) by him having to constantly be in the thick of everyone's business.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
^ very much agreed with the above four posts

:yes:

Of course, that's why I said I believe him to be an xNTx...

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
for the love of god, house is NOT an intj. At all.

Well, a lot of people seem to disagree...

He has obvious Ne+Fe= skills

House has obvious Fe skills? Are you kidding me? Have you watched the show? Since when did approval-seeking seem a huge part of his character?

He seems to house his feelings inside much more than desire to partake in some Fe cuddlefest, which would point straight to him being an Fi-user.

He instantly picks up information from his surrounding when coming into a room, That's Ne, not Ni.

Not necessarily. That sounds more Se than anything.

Making connections about everything: well, that's somewhat ambiguous as to whether it's Ni or Ne.

He uses his team as a sounding board: Ne

Ever heard of Te?

All of his plans and schemes are about people rather than some career related endgoal.

Since when did INTJs not make plans and schemes about people?

He says whatever is on his mind, except when he lies to mess with people's head. Yet he almost never give sensitive information about himself.

Ummm, and how can this not be construed to be xNTJ trait?

His constant shadow of an amused smile

Check out the grin on my profile page.

)

He procastinates

So does everybody.

He needs to feel a measure of control in his relationships (distancing)

mhmm, very INTJish...

He cares but will never admit to it because he sees it as a weakness

Once again, are you trying to prove that he's an INTJ?

How more fictional entp could he get?

A lot.

Zarathustra

Let Go Of Your Team
Eck, see the above seven posts and the results of the poll to see why he's probably not strictly one type, but likely some conglomeration of INTJ and ENTP.

I think the poll itself is enough to reveal that...

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
Since when does using Fe make one approval-seeking? That sure sounds like the xNTPs...