1 0.24%
  • ENTJ

25 6.11%
  • ENTP

153 37.41%
First 4989979899100101 Last

Riva

Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    I've now watched all eight seasons, straight through.

My final verdict:
    House the character is INTJ.
    The actor playing him is ENTP.
    The writer(s) of the show are very INFJ.

He is not an extrovert. Most of his time is spent thinking, alone.

His intuition is Ni, not Ne. He doesn't brainstorm himself. His team brainstorms for him, and Ni picks the idea(s) that look most productive to him. When he diagnoses solo, he sees a single clue (Se), and synthesizes that clue into an overall explanation of everything (Ni). (A lot of his synthesis has an INFJ feel to it, positing personality traits of the patient, etc., due to the writers' INFJ bent.) He tends to jump to conclusions and insist that he be allowed to follow through on the diagnosis, which annoys his fellow (usually NTP-ish) doctors to no end.

The extroversion I do see is of the Te variety. Writing symptoms on a whiteboard and staring at them and crossing them out is a very Te activity. The brainstorming from his team is also dealt with in a Te way: an idea is quickly determined to be good or bad, and once the ideas are all out there, a decision is quickly made. Ti would tend to hem and haw a lot more. His team hems and haws, but House makes decisions quickly and decisively. The team is worried about getting the diagnosis correct, frets about possibilities; House stays quiet, then makes his diagnosis/prescription, and doesn't let the arguments last beyond that point. If he makes a mistake, that because a new datapoint and he reevaluates via Ni. Often, he deliberately makes a choice that he knows might be wrong, because HOW the choice ends up being wrong will provide additional data for the diagnosis. This is a Te approach in that making mistakes is deliberately used to figure things out in an iterative way; Ti prefers to avoid mistakes.

When I see him relate closely to individuals (the girl in the 3rd season with whom he spent a lot of time in a single episode, the woman he met in the asylum in season 5, Cuddy in season 6/7), the emotion is almost entirely on an Fi level.

And his stress modes exude Se, whether juggling, playing action-oriented video games, drinking, popping Vicodin, riding a motorcycle, whoring, or driving a car into a house.

None of this is 100% consistent, of course, due to the influence of the writers and the actor, but overall, what House does and how he does it says INTJ. The writers' INFJ-ness add to the overall INTJ feel by giving House very Ni psychological experiences, especially w/r to talking to imaginary people, and I suspect the inferior Se implied by the writers' being INFJ reveals itself in House's stress reactions. I also see an INFJ influence in the psychological nature of House's various pranks, and baiting of his team to pick on their current psychological insecurities.

In spite of the inconsistencies, what remains consistent is how his psychological breaks happen. They're very Ni-ish, with Se stress relief, and there is an overall ESFP vibe to how he becomes completely reckless.
    Thank you. I had to wait 10 months for your reply but it was worth it.

I agree with you (intj for House - Te,Se,Fi and Ni) and you have written it quite convincingly.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

I still think ENTP suits him well. But he is a fictional character and I think he is a mix of all NT types, with ENTP as the top option.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by uumlau View Post
    I've now watched all eight seasons, straight through.

My final verdict:
    House the character is INTJ.
    The actor playing him is ENTP.
    The writer(s) of the show are very INFJ.

He is not an extrovert. Most of his time is spent thinking, alone.

His intuition is Ni, not Ne. He doesn't brainstorm himself. His team brainstorms for him, and Ni picks the idea(s) that look most productive to him. When he diagnoses solo, he sees a single clue (Se), and synthesizes that clue into an overall explanation of everything (Ni). (A lot of his synthesis has an INFJ feel to it, positing personality traits of the patient, etc., due to the writers' INFJ bent.) He tends to jump to conclusions and insist that he be allowed to follow through on the diagnosis, which annoys his fellow (usually NTP-ish) doctors to no end.

The extroversion I do see is of the Te variety. Writing symptoms on a whiteboard and staring at them and crossing them out is a very Te activity. The brainstorming from his team is also dealt with in a Te way: an idea is quickly determined to be good or bad, and once the ideas are all out there, a decision is quickly made. Ti would tend to hem and haw a lot more. His team hems and haws, but House makes decisions quickly and decisively. The team is worried about getting the diagnosis correct, frets about possibilities; House stays quiet, then makes his diagnosis/prescription, and doesn't let the arguments last beyond that point. If he makes a mistake, that becomes a new datapoint and he reevaluates via Ni. Often, he deliberately makes a choice that he knows might be wrong, because HOW the choice ends up being wrong will provide additional data for the diagnosis. This is a Te approach in that making mistakes is deliberately used to figure things out in an iterative way; Ti prefers to avoid mistakes.

When I see him relate closely to individuals (the girl in the 3rd season with whom he spent a lot of time in a single episode, the woman he met in the asylum in season 5, Cuddy in season 6/7), the emotion is almost entirely on an Fi level.

And his stress modes exude Se, whether juggling, playing action-oriented video games, drinking, popping Vicodin, riding a motorcycle, whoring, or driving a car into a house.

None of this is 100% consistent, of course, due to the influence of the writers and the actor, but overall, what House does and how he does it says INTJ. The writers' INFJ-ness add to the overall INTJ feel by giving House very Ni psychological experiences, especially w/r to talking to imaginary people, and I suspect the inferior Se implied by the writers' being INFJ reveals itself in House's stress reactions. I also see an INFJ influence in the psychological nature of House's various pranks, and baiting of his team to pick on their current psychological insecurities.

In spite of the inconsistencies, what remains consistent is how his psychological breaks happen. They're very Ni-ish, with Se stress relief, and there is an overall ESFP vibe to how he becomes completely reckless.
    All quite plausible. Then again, you overlook the main appeal of the show: he's fucking funny. (=ENTP)

Riva

Quote Originally Posted by Salomé View Post
    All quite plausible. Then again, you overlook the main appeal of the show: he's fucking funny. (=ENTP)
    Assuming this is not a joke; you probably fail to notice the humour varieties in entps and intjs. Entps have a let-the-world-blow-up-around-me or let-you-curse-me-in-utter-filth but I will still keep a smile on my face and remind you why you should actually be happy or pissed at yourself kind of vibe to their humour. They will make a random connection of you and the outcome (Ne) and patch the loopholes with (Ti) by leveraging supportive points over the others and would never let you actually hate them even if you feel like killing them. The best example I can give for a pure entp humour is king schultz in django unchained. He is an entp it hurts and his humour is entp at its best. Also entp humour wouldn't be funny without their personality of an observant, calm, humourist vibe. House's humour is completely different. He is more sarcastic (entps are seldom rudely sarcastic, allow their sarcasm to belittle others and are actually seldom sarcastic to begin with), rude, has a superiority quality to his humour and - hmm.. What else? - has a take it or leave it edge to his jokes. (Entps wouldn't feel right to leave a joke to be taken as an insult.) I recommend watching django unchained (king schultz) or star trek ds9 (elim garak) to get the vibe of entp humour.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Pfft. Like I need a lecture from you on NTP humour. Please.

Although this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Riva View Post
    Assuming this is not a joke; you probably fail to notice the humour
    was pretty funny.
    Sometimes INTJS are funny. When they're not trying.

Riva

Pfft. Like I need a lecture from you on NTP humour. Please.Although this: was pretty funny. Sometimes INTJS are funny. When they're not trying.
    Ouch. However since I am not an intj I guess I shouldn't feel too much pain? Anyway may I know your thoughts on what type of humour house use?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by Riva View Post
    Ouch. However since I am not an intj I guess I shouldn't feel too much pain? Anyway may I know your thoughts on what type of humour house use?
    You were last week. /shrug

House is a snarky bastard. So am I. Guess what we have in common? (Apart from a British accent.)

Riva

You were last week. /shrugHouse is a snarky bastard. So am I. Guess what we have in common? (Apart from a British accent.)
    Your good naturedness and your love for humanity?

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w4 sx/sp

Bingo! Plus last 3 letters, minimum.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    953 sp/so

Yeah, INTJs are never snarky.

Nor do we go for irony.

But above all, we are never, ever sarcastic.
    An argument is two people sharing their ignorance.

A discussion is two people sharing their understanding, even when they disagree.