• You are currently viewing our forum as a guest, which gives you limited access to view most discussions and access our other features. By joining our free community, you will have access to additional post topics, communicate privately with other members (PM), view blogs, respond to polls, upload content, and access many other special features. Registration is fast, simple and absolutely free, so please join our community today! Just click here to register. You should turn your Ad Blocker off for this site or certain features may not work properly. If you have any problems with the registration process or your account login, please contact us by clicking here.

What type is House?

What type is House?

• INTP

Votes: 72 18.0%
  • INTJ

Votes: 120 30.0%
  • INFP

Votes: 2 0.5%
  • INFJ

• ISTP

Votes: 4 1.0%
  • ISTJ

• ISFP

• ISFJ

• ESFJ

Votes: 6 1.5%
  • ESFP

Votes: 5 1.3%
  • ESTJ

Votes: 3 0.8%
  • ESTP

Votes: 1 0.3%
  • ENFJ

• ENFP

• ENTJ

Votes: 25 6.3%
  • ENTP

Votes: 148 37.0%

• Total voters

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Two episodes illustrate why he is an extravert:

Episode #64 "Airborne": He recruits three passengers that superficially resemble his team. Why? Certainly not for their medical expertise. They are an audience to bounce ideas off, and to hear himself think. Extravert.

Episode #71 "Alone": I'll let Wilson make my case for me: "You were bouncing ideas off a janitor!!" Extravert.

As Cuddy told him in that episode, he needs a team. Even one where he just dismisses their ideas out of hand.

I too thought he was an introvert for the first season or so. But that has not proven itself out. The past two seasons have been such exquiste representations of NeTi at work.

ENTP.
Could be so but I just don't see the whole smartass thing just for shits and giggles. It's more like he's analysing people. Perhaps that's why he'd need a team. Without people around him he has no reactions to analyse, no context in which to frame himself.

If he is an extrovert then why only three people? Why the same three people? Why shun new people or changes to his environment? Why is he so sure he's right? Why doesn't he evade incoming criticism? Surely it is INTJ to just stand there as if all the bullets and tank shells in the world could not pierce his defences?

I'm not sold but you make an interesting counter point.

Perhaps if we analyse in what way House is messed up then we would be able to remove this and see the creature underneath (this is way too in depth for a TV character but it's fun :D).

MacGuffin

Permabanned
MBTI Type
xkcd
Enneagram
9w1
Instinctual Variant
sx/sp
If he is an extrovert then why only three people? Why the same three people? Why shun new people or changes to his environment? Why is he so sure he's right? Why doesn't he evade incoming criticism? Surely it is INTJ to just stand there as if all the bullets and tank shells in the world could not pierce his defences?
Extravert doesn't always mean "people person".

An extravert is oriented to the outside world, but it can be things and ideas rather than people. The lead Ne is fired up by hearing his ideas and others bouncing around in space.

House is a misanthrope, so he doesn't like people, but he's an extravert so he needs their "energy" - their ideas.

Also look at how involved he is in their lives. He is constantly on the lookout for personal secrets they are trying to hide. Whether it is a new girlfriend, trying to get pregnant, a dead parent, whatever. He wants to know and will manipulate to find it out.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Extravert doesn't always mean "people person".

An extravert is oriented to the outside world, but it can be things and ideas rather than people. The lead Ne is fired up by hearing his ideas and others bouncing around in space.

House is a misanthrope, so he doesn't like people, but he's an extravert so he needs their "energy" - their ideas.

Also look at how involved he is in their lives. He is constantly on the lookout for personal secrets they are trying to hide. Whether it is a new girlfriend, trying to get pregnant, a dead parent, whatever. He wants to know and will manipulate to find it out.
That's also a point where I'd disagree.
House has friends and hell even dates. Sure he makes out like he doesn't like anyone but that's not what his pattern of behaviour says. To me he reads like an introverted T who's not really interested in running about after people or putting up with more than he has to but he still likes people.

The INTJ I know is highly critical of just about everyone. He still likes people though and enjoys throwing insults around esp between friends.

What makes you think misanthropic extrovert as opposed to guarded INTJ?
I mean the whole need for an audience on one occasion is comparable to grandstanding which is quite common on INTPc (though admittedly the internet is more prone to this) and I myself would require a team to work in that kind of situation. Who the hell would want to have to try and think of every possibility whilst the life of a patient and my paycheck hung in the balance?

hotmale

MBTI Type
ESTJ
It doesn't have to be a J trait. Just because you don't HEAR or SEE the information doesn't mean that he hasn't made the connections in his head. One thing you have to keep in mind about intuition is, it's all fabricated through inferences, expressed or not. He might be taking in more information than you can understand being an S.

I think making judgments based on incoming information on a quick basis is different from reading books about a subject matter and connecting the dots together. I would say an ENTP- who has the personality trait tendency to be a conspiracy theorist is the type who takes a little while for information to absorb before making theories about a particular subject. Whereas, imho, an INFJ will quickly judge the situation to make assessments that may or may not have basis in logic. As far as House is concerned, some of his diagnoses are ridiculously illogical in the sense that he seems to not use textbook diagnoses to assess his patients. For doctors, it's really just a guessing game- because people's symptoms tend to vary greatly even if they are suffering from the same disease. Whereas an INTJ doctor is more of a textbook doctor- in that things are done by the book.

Also, House is a painkiller addict. His primary goal is to attain relief from his drug addiction. An ENTP, if he would have any proclivities towards drug addiction would more likely be a pot/cocaine addict.

This is varying off the topic, but it appears to me that most painkiller addicts tend to be of INFX variety. They like the special world in which their thoughts and feelings become exaggerated under the cloud of a synthetic-emotional-high. (This is not saying all INFXs are painkiller addicts- but there is something about their personality that facilitates that addiction)

Nocapszy said:
And like I've said, people shouldn't be categorized on a single dichotomy. J for NFJ is COMPLETELY different from NTJ's version of J. Just like P is different for NTPs than SFPs etc.

This is irrelevant. All personality types tend to use their J-function in conjunction with Ne, Ni, Ti, Te, Se, Si but I would say that what NXJs- have in common is that they have to tendency to be quick about their judgments as their discriminatory processes are more elevated than the other types. That is why most FPs complain that they are "judgmental" :)

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
Also, House is a painkiller addict. His primary goal is to attain relief from his drug addiction. An ENTP, if he would have any proclivities towards drug addiction would more likely be a pot/cocaine addict.

his primary goal is definitely NOT to "attain relief from" his drug addiction. he knows all he has to do is stop taking them. he simply sees no reason to do so, since they don't negatively effect his productivity. something that makes perfect sense. if it's not causing a problem, then it's not a problem. the end.

whether the character is entp or not, the fact that he takes an opiate based drug makes more since than either drug you mentioned for a lot of reasons:

it would make sense to use vicadin instead of cocaine. cocaine can't be so easily dropped, it's much more expensive, it's illegal thus riskier and harder to attain, it's more addictive, and therefore not a drug of choice if the goal is to enjoy the effect of a drug while being the most productive and still in 'control'.

pot wouldn't be the most logical thing to use as it's one, against the law, therefore riskier, two, not as easy to get his hands on, three, isn't a pain killer, and four, doesn't leave one with a feeling of euphoria while allowing the ability to think clearly.

so, for those reasons, i disagree, as an ENTP, that being one necessarily means the drugs of choice would be cocaine or pot.

Sandy

MBTI Type
INFP
House is a hoot!

I have enjoyed watched House since the series began! He makes me howl with laughter! :D

I chose INTJ because I know of ONE person personally (I work with) who is the closest fit to House's character. He's a 35-year old engineer and the oldest man I have ever met! (crabby, cocky, selfish, argumentative and defiant, meticulous, brash and bold at times, opinionated, and brilliant!) This is one grumpy colleague I can't stand to work with (in teams, we don't work well together). :steam:

Also, of all the INTPs I know, they don't fit House's personality at all.

Also, as much as I love Hugh's character, I would HATE having him as a doctor... I would want a doctor with BOTH the brains and the nice bedside manner.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
his primary goal is definitely NOT to "attain relief from" his drug addiction. he knows all he has to do is stop taking them. he simply sees no reason to do so, since they don't negatively effect his productivity. something that makes perfect sense. if it's not causing a problem, then it's not a problem. the end.....
I think the reason his drug problem is not interfering with his work is because it's a tv show and it's in the script. For us normal human beings, painkillers would be a serious detriment to our ability to make quick and/or sound judgments. Painkillers dull your senses.

It's actually sad that they have not dealt with his addiction in a healthy way. How many addicts are they "enabling" with their tv show? Addicts lie to themselves. They deceive themselves into thinking the drugs are not interfering when in fact they are, and they won't listen to anyone who tells them otherwise.

digesthisickness

✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿
MBTI Type
ENTP
I think the reason his drug problem is not interfering with his work is because it's a tv show and it's in the script. For us normal human beings, painkillers would be a serious detriment to our ability to make quick and/or sound judgments. Painkillers dull your senses.

not always. overwhelming pain on the other hand, does.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
I think making judgments based on incoming information on a quick basis is different from reading books about a subject matter and connecting the dots together. .
Well clearly you don't know what Ne does. I shouldn't even respond to the rest of your post, because likely the rest of it is as idiotic as this statement.

I would say an ENTP- who has the personality trait tendency to be a conspiracy theorist is the type who takes a little while for information to absorb before making theories about a particular subject. Whereas, imho, an INFJ will quickly judge the situation to make assessments that may or may not have basis in logic. As far as House is concerned, some of his diagnoses are ridiculously illogical
(A.K.A. Intuitive)

in the sense that he seems to not use textbook diagnoses to assess his patients. For doctors, it's really just a guessing game- because people's symptoms tend to vary greatly even if they are suffering from the same disease. Whereas an INTJ doctor is more of a textbook doctor- in that things are done by the book.
Not necessarily. An INTJ might go against the book if he's got a better idea, and the book doesn't work. If both of those criteria aren't filled, the INTJ obeys.

More of that ESTJ overassuming. I gotta tell you, I love that. It's great. Keep it up.

This is varying off the topic, but it appears to me that most painkiller addicts tend to be of INFX variety.
And more of the same

They like the special world in which their thoughts and feelings become exaggerated under the cloud of a synthetic-emotional-high. (This is not saying all INFXs are painkiller addicts- but there is something about their personality that facilitates that addiction)
Actually, I don't think any type is any more inclined towards wanting to get high than any other type. Drugs are not correlated with type. Period. I think INFs are more likely to experiment than SJs, because they're not scared of the police/unknown. That doesn't necessarily mean that they're by default attracted to or even interested in, or in any way inclined toward taking drugs. Let alone being addicted to them.

Anyway, the INF who is attracted to drugs, is probably moreso to hallucinogens, which are almost all non-addicting. That includes Pot. (start at urbandictionary.com and then progress toward wikipedia for more information)

This is irrelevant.
Nothing I say is ever irrelevant.
All personality types tend to use their J-function in conjunction with Ne, Ni, Ti, Te, Se, Si
What the fuck are you talking about? Do you even know what MBTI is?
but I would say that what NXJs- have in common is that they have to tendency to be quick about their judgments
Y'know it's interesting you say judgements, because Jung used a very different definition of the word than the popular definition used today. Currently people view judgements (yourself included, as I'm able to intuit) as negative feelings for a person or a situation. That's not the case according to MBTI though. ENTPs make quick assessments (which is a more accurate term to describe Ti's process). These, so often, look like judgement, because the ENTP might be able to see something in the person (and will likely verbalize) doesn't like about themselves, which can be construed as a judgement. This kind of thing, I believe leads to mistyping, as seen in the case of House, not because of a lack of ability to observe people, but a poor understanding of this typing system.

Way to use clich

Last edited by a moderator:

Usehername

On a mission
Mac is goddamn right. He NEEDS people. Even as much as he wants to be, or look like an introvert, he's not. He just isn't. There's really no questioning it if you understand MBTI. House is an extravert.

I disagree.

I think all that can be concluded is that he is not an extreme introvert. Because all people need people. He lives alone and his only contact with people is his job. I don't see how we can conclude he's an E by seeing how he "needs people to interact with" at work. Work is his only source of interaction.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
I disagree.

I think all that can be concluded is that he is not an extreme introvert. Because all people need people. He lives alone and his only contact with people is his job. I don't see how we can conclude he's an E by seeing how he "needs people to interact with" at work. Work is his only source of interaction.

No it's not. He has poker night with people from the bus stop and a few other places I don't remember. But he mentioned several locations to wilson that night he came over to House's house to play with him and his buddies.

Think about that. People from the bust stop. Not only does that imply that he's going out, but that he's talking to people. Starting conversations from nothing most likely if he's able to conjure a poker-deep friendship from a conversation at the bus stop.

You think his only interaction with people is at work, only because that's the only place where you've seen him doing it.

Usehername

On a mission
You think his only interaction with people is at work, only because that's the only place where you've seen him doing it.

Exactly, actually. :yes: I've only seen a few episodes, and all portrayed him as a loner with no social life.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Exactly, actually. :yes: I've only seen a few episodes, and all portrayed him as a loner with no social life.

Fair enough. Your reasoning isn't exactly unfounded. However, there's still the matter that ENTPs (and ESTPs, to a degree, I think) don't really care to be around people, so much as things. They can get their own ideas (we don't only use on everyone else's) from building shit or whatever you other ENTPs do.

ESTPs like to look at shit. They'll keep a lot of girls around, I think, probably not because they want them around, but because they like to look at/fuck them. ESPT guitar playing which is often a solitary event. At least in the beginning. I think ESTP would probably see to it that he had a band together once his abilities were worth showing off.

Pardon the stereotypes, but I'm having an off day and can't come up with something creative to exemplify tthe point.

Xander

Lex Parsimoniae
MBTI Type
INTP
Enneagram
9w8
Okay now this has come up again.
Who the hell says that INTJs follow the book?

there'd only be one book an INTJ would follow and that would be the one that they wrote. Even then they'd only follow it as long as it was applicable.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Okay now this has come up again.
Who the hell says that INTJs follow the book?

there'd only be one book an INTJ would follow and that would be the one that they wrote. Even then they'd only follow it as long as it was applicable.

Where did it come up? And the fact that you're re-using points doesn't bode well for your case.

Like I said, INTJ won't follow the book if he's got a better plan. However, if it means losing his job, INTJ won't break the rules, unless he doesn't want to work there, in which case he'll probably quit.

See, House doesn't just break diagnostic rules. You have to keep that in mind.

INTJMom

MBTI Type
INTJ
Enneagram
5w4
Well clearly you don't know what Ne does. I shouldn't even respond to the rest of your post, because likely the rest of it is as idiotic as this statement....
Are you another one of those people who won't tell us what your true type is?
You are not communicating like an ISFP.
And if you think you are, I would like to see in an online ISFPs type description where it says they regularly ridicule people's intelligence and call them names. Please provide the link.

Nocapszy

no clinkz 'til brooklyn
MBTI Type
ENTP
Are you another one of those people who won't tell us what your true type is?
You are not communicating like an ISFP.
And if you think you are, I would like to see in an online ISFPs type description where it says they regularly ridicule people's intelligence and call them names. Please provide the link.

ISFP

ptgatsby

MBTI Type
ISTP
Where did it come up? And the fact that you're re-using points doesn't bode well for your case.

Like I said, INTJ won't follow the book if he's got a better plan. However, if it means losing his job, INTJ won't break the rules, unless he doesn't want to work there, in which case he'll probably quit.

See, House doesn't just break diagnostic rules. You have to keep that in mind.

INTJ:
Do whatever works.

ENTP:
Try whatever.

Anyway, I work with formally tested ENTPs and INTJs (closely with the ENTPs - at a distance from INTJs). The most sarcastic, bitter and unapproachable ENTP is on par with the nicest INTJ I know... and house share nothing with the ENTPs I know - friends or co workers. I can understand, if disagree, with the E vs I bit (ENTJ vs INTJ) because of his screwed up life... but the ENTP thing makes no sense.