User Tag List

View Poll Results: What type is House?

Voters
409. You may not vote on this poll
  • INTP

    74 18.09%
  • INTJ

    121 29.58%
  • INFP

    2 0.49%
  • INFJ

    2 0.49%
  • ISTP

    4 0.98%
  • ISTJ

    4 0.98%
  • ISFP

    2 0.49%
  • ISFJ

    5 1.22%
  • ESFJ

    6 1.47%
  • ESFP

    5 1.22%
  • ESTJ

    3 0.73%
  • ESTP

    1 0.24%
  • ENFJ

    1 0.24%
  • ENFP

    1 0.24%
  • ENTJ

    25 6.11%
  • ENTP

    153 37.41%
First 456781656 Last

Results 51 to 60 of 1047

  1. #51
    Member Andy K Octopus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    49

    Default

    House? I would say that he is an INTX. He needs time alone to recharge his batteries, he is very intuitive about medical problems, he is probably more rational than emotional, and the last letter is debatable.

  2. #52
    Member Andy K Octopus's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    INFJ
    Posts
    49

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Yes, how many INTJs are that involved in the gossip and love lives of those around them?
    I am an INFJ and I have an unfortunate tendency to be attracted to gossip amongst peers. Even when I don't spread any of it around (I try to not gossip, especially about embarrassing things that happened to my friends), but I like to be "in the loop" as far as gossip amongst my friends goes.

  3. #53
    Senior Member ptgatsby's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ISTP
    Posts
    4,474

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Andy K Octopus View Post
    I am an INFJ and I have an unfortunate tendency to be attracted to gossip amongst peers. Even when I don't spread any of it around (I try to not gossip, especially about embarrassing things that happened to my friends), but I like to be "in the loop" as far as gossip amongst my friends goes.
    The two INTJs I know really well are the same. I use to get messages or even calls/visits from one of them - we use to go to lunch a couple of times a week when we worked in the same town... Just to bounce ideas around. Not as much gossip, more technical stuff (in his case, financial stuff).

  4. #54
    Senior Member Nonpareil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    268

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Yes, how many INTJs are that involved in the gossip and love lives of those around them?
    I think House is INTJ, not because I'm INTJ but more because if I was in his position, I would be more like him (maybe worse). How many INTJ are involved in gossip and the love lives of those around them? Well, all of the ones who want to be able to gather as much information so that they can manipulate and use that information to their advantage. I don't spread gossip but I definately love to be "in the loop" so that I can appear to be the one who know everything. The best way to manipulate and take advantage of a situation is to involve oneself in the gossip and what not of other people.

    So, on behalf of an INTJ, I do get involved in the gossip and life of other people. How else can we truely dominate this world without that information, false as it could be?

    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Yep, that's House.

    "You were bouncing ideas off the janitor!"
    -Wilson
    Just because House is bouncing ideas off the janitor doesn't make him an extravert. Just because you claim he needs an audiance, doesn't make him an extravert. He has more introverted tendancies and more negative emotions than all the extraverts I know. I will accept that he may be a weak introvert but I would say he leans more towards an introvert than an extrovert. A truely good INTJ would know how to manipulate the situations they are in and of course an INTJ would need an audiance, how else would he get others to do his bidding. Plus, as an INTJ, I need the audience so that I can recruite more followers. An INTJ never wants to think that he/she is wrong, I would say he's bouncing ideas off the janitor because he lost his team and he need reassurance that he still has it. Someone who doesn't know better than him will not threaten this "God-like" image of himself!

    Quote Originally Posted by Natrushka View Post
    I just saw the season opener. He wants / needs an audience. He hates that he needs them, but he needs them.
    I haven't seen the season opener, I have yet to borrow it from a friend, but I don't think it's fair that you lable him an extrovert just because he needs an audience. To be fair, introverts needs an audience as well. When I worked as a shift manager in a restaurant, I was very outgoing - many people would say I was an extravert then. I was outgoing because I had to and it made my life very easy at work, I could do what I want, I had people buying me things, giving me things...easy manipulation for very little effort. I see House that way, he only involves himself with his little world around the hospital, manipulating information around this world of his. His emotions and feelings towards people (even the people he work with) are negative. He doesn't like people, most introverts don't.

    Anyways, I'm just saying...he's a fictional character so I don't think it really matters what he is, he changes according to the writers.
    Sorry for any typos, spelling or grammer errors but I'm a bit preoccupied planning my wedding.
    Or if you want to read more about me and help me gain more insight to your world (I do need more experiences in life), feel free to skim through my blog.

  5. #55
    Pareo cattus Natrushka's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    1,213

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nonpareil View Post
    I haven't seen the season opener, I have yet to borrow it from a friend, but I don't think it's fair that you lable him an extrovert just because he needs an audience. ... His emotions and feelings towards people (even the people he work with) are negative. He doesn't like people, most introverts don't.
    These damned quotes don't nest, it's annoying. My quote was quote which was originally quoting something else, which is why it looks like I was saying he's an extrovert because he needs an audience... Let me see if I can get this...

    Originally I said:

    Quote Originally Posted by Natrushka View Post
    I thought this for sure for a long time [INTJ], then the last few episodes of season 3 made me think differently (INTP). I'm not sure one way or the other anymore.

    I think Foreman might be an INTJ, though.
    To which Mac replied:

    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    ENTx.

    A misanthropic extravert. And yes, I can back this up you introvert bigots.
    Arandur replied:

    Quote Originally Posted by Arandur View Post
    When it comes to INTJ vs INTP, I'd have to say INTJ, because he's got that confidence thing going on.

    I can see how you'd get ENTx (I'd say ENTJ), MacGuffin, and I'd love to hear you explain.
    Mac came back with:

    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    I actually lean ENTP cause he does do some quiet thinking on his own. Ti - the second function of ENTPs.

    The rest I'll reveal later.
    And jigilo posted this - which sums it all up:

    Quote Originally Posted by ygolo View Post
    Cool. A show I actually watch. New show tomorrow?

    T for sure, (or a really, really, screwed up F). He has issues, that can make him more cold and mean, but I really don't see any internal dynamic causing him to switch from F to T.

    Definitely abstract in his approach to medical problems (and he approaches everything in life the same way, which also seems to indicate an NT). So I would say N.

    He is a misanthrope, but he cannot keep his mouth shut in many of the situations he'd in.

    I would have initially pegged him for an extroverted NT. But there are a lot of moments where simply wants to be left alone to think.

    E/I is hard to say. His approach to problem solving screams ENTP to me (based on ENTPs I know IRL) and not at all like ENTJs, INTJs, or INTPs I know in real life (possible circular reasoning here).

    He is decisive and directive, but it seems like that only applies on the job, where he knows his stuff and is the boss. INTPs/ENTPs I know at work (confirmed by tests) can be equally adamant, decisive and directive about what they want done (but are much more easy going outside of work).

    He defies authority (SP/NT usually), but the way he does it has a very "Richard Feynman" feel to it (Which points me to ENTP).

    Rule breaking is part of his own system clashing with the established one, not really based on a pragmatic motive to make an impact. So again I am thinking NT.

    Cognitive Function-It may be due to the shows presentation, but if you watch the plane episode where he is trying to make a diagnosis, and another one where he is dreaming while making a diagnosis, he is almost useless without the people he has to bounce ideas off of. Seems very Ne to me (it will be interesting how well he actually does without a team). I would say the way he does things strongly points to an iNtuitive function in charge not a Thinking function (Cutty on the other hand seems to be lead by Te).

    Interaction Style-
    • At first it may seem like he likes being in charge, but I believe her really feels a lot more comfortable knowing Cutty is the boss.
    • Foreman seems like the iconic Chart-the-Course style (and I think is a good INTJ candidate) but it is clear that his style is different from House's more free-flowing style of leading differential diagnosis.
    • The only clear Behind-The-Scenes one on the show was Chase (who I think is an INxP, seminary, UFOs, ...).
    • House's style seems to me to be a Get-Things-Going style, contrasted with Cutty's, Foreman's, and Chase's.
    • Cameron, I am not sure about.


    In sum, I am going with ENTP.
    Finally:

    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Cool, I don't have to make the argument myself!

    The plane episode is key. He recruited a useless team for no logical reason other than to have an audience to play to.

    Extravert!
    I really think Foreman is an INTJ and House is not, while I *heart* House, I don't see much INTJness in him on the whole. The hate for mankind shadowed my initial belief - I just never thought of Es as being misanthropic.

    This signature left intentionally blank.

    Really.

  6. #56
    Senior Member chatoyer's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    eNfP
    Enneagram
    7w6 sx/sp
    Posts
    122

    Default

    Just because House is bouncing ideas off the janitor doesn't make him an extravert. Just because you claim he needs an audiance, doesn't make him an extravert. He has more introverted tendancies and more negative emotions than all the extraverts I know. I will accept that he may be a weak introvert but I would say he leans more towards an introvert than an extrovert. A truely good INTJ would know how to manipulate the situations they are in and of course an INTJ would need an audiance, how else would he get others to do his bidding. Plus, as an INTJ, I need the audience so that I can recruite more followers. An INTJ never wants to think that he/she is wrong, I would say he's bouncing ideas off the janitor because he lost his team and he need reassurance that he still has it. Someone who doesn't know better than him will not threaten this "God-like" image of himself!
    Great analysis, Nonpareil, I think definitely INTx.

    And Wilson is a great example of a male NF, he's always digging into House's personal life & trying to challenge him to be a better person, even if it hurts his own pride. There was also an episode that explored Wilson's relationships, how he was easily able to connect with women & his patients emotionally.


    Anyways, I'm just saying...he's a fictional character so I don't think it really matters what he is, he changes according to the writers.
    Yes, but he seems INTx in real life too, I saw an interview with him recently, & he was bragging about how he had never asked a woman out, much like your pt!

  7. #57
    Oberon
    Guest

    Default

    I don't do TV.

  8. #58
    Senior Member Nonpareil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    268

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by chatoyer View Post
    Great analysis, Nonpareil, I think definitely INTx.
    Thanks, I don't know if I made any sense. I was just rambling away at work (obviously not working) becaue I was offended that House could be an E, since his portrayal (if he was an E) has tainted my image of E's - since all the extroverts I know are people lovers.

    The only reason why I think he is an J over a P is because he seems to make decisions too fast to be a P. I find, with J's, once they have decided something, they will do it. House does that. Then when new information comes in, he changes (NT) what he wants to do accordingly. I see P's as someone who would think the problem out for a long time before acting.

    Anyways, House is messed up in many ways, that's probably why we argue about what type he is. If he was an INTJ or and INTx, I really don't want to be like him - although, if I had the same issues, I might just be...he's a bastard but I love him (or his show at least)!
    And Wilson is a great example of a male NF, he's always digging into House's personal life & trying to challenge him to be a better person, even if it hurts his own pride. There was also an episode that explored Wilson's relationships, how he was easily able to connect with women & his patients emotionally.
    Yeah, Wilson has to be an f, he cares too much about people! Not that that's a bad thing for doctors.
    Yes, but he seems INTx in real life too, I saw an interview with him recently, & he was bragging about how he had never asked a woman out, much like your pt!
    I've never seen House, outside of the series so I can't say what I think he is in real life.

    But yeah, pt still brags about how he has never asked a woman out! What can I say, he's just that amazing, women just can't keeps there hands away! But I guess I tamed his heart though, or at least I like to think so!
    Sorry for any typos, spelling or grammer errors but I'm a bit preoccupied planning my wedding.
    Or if you want to read more about me and help me gain more insight to your world (I do need more experiences in life), feel free to skim through my blog.

  9. #59
    Senior Member Nonpareil's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jul 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    268

    Default

    Sorry Nat for misunderstanding you! Please forgive me, I still have a hard time keep track of all the posts...maybe that's why I don't post as much as I want - I keep misunderstanding things!
    Sorry for any typos, spelling or grammer errors but I'm a bit preoccupied planning my wedding.
    Or if you want to read more about me and help me gain more insight to your world (I do need more experiences in life), feel free to skim through my blog.

  10. #60
    にゃん runvardh's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram
    6w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    IEI
    Posts
    8,559

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by oberon View Post
    I don't do TV.
    You're not alone, but this disscussion is fun to watch, ^_^
    Dreams are best served manifest and tangible.

    INFP, 6w7, IEI

    I accept no responsibility, what so ever, for the fact that I exist; I do, however, accept full responsibility for what I do while I exist.

    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Similar Threads

  1. What type is Shadow the Hedgehog (Sonic Adventure 2 Battle)
    By Athenian200 in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-29-2016, 05:04 PM
  2. What type is Falcarius the dinosaur?
    By Falcarius in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-06-2015, 09:34 PM
  3. What type is Dr. House?
    By Anentropic IxTx in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-02-2009, 11:15 AM
  4. What type is he?
    By Climber07 in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-28-2008, 03:34 PM
  5. What type is the most pedantic?
    By Kiddo in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 10-24-2007, 02:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO