Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    I'd say Ni. As being an irrational function, he solves his problems through internal information then brings them to live through his rational function - Ni-Te.

He does not seek out information except as required (Ne/Se) and then process a decision internally to make sense of it (Ti). He runs through his own index of knowledge (Ni/Si) then goes to make the world match up (Te).

I was just pointing out that there are lots of ways to make generalisations more than making the argument... I posted the sub-traits of introversion (two versions) up above. The argument would be that his general life is introverted - it is only for problem solving that he starts ordering the world (inferior Te - it is subject to Ni first, making his dominant function introverted)... but also that he has a real lack of positive emotions, small social (any social) group, etc. The E/I isn't as clear (hierarchy) as the attitude is, however, but I would say that he has a lot more I tendencies than E.

The generation of ideas comes with the concept of "seeing what is possible"... the big picture. That's Ne. House is not a visionary, he is a problem solver. He doesn't flit around from possibility to possibility, he methodically solves the most likely possibility before moving on to the next - until he is faced with a patient that might die first, but even then, very limited. He doesn't hesitate to get new information - the first logical sign is the moment he steps into action. Ne is big picture - he is about as small picture as he can be and tries to keep it that way.

As far as Ti... Ti orders concepts internally, to make sense of situations. Te drives control and ordering outside of him... as in, directing his minions, finding solutions, making things happen. He doesn't sit back and do medical theory - he is out there, solving problems. That is absolutely Ni vision and Te ordering.

No, it's because he has decided to take action. Even in situations where he isn't sure what to do, he just finds the most likely action and does it. He doesn't open up journals or ask for advice - he doesn't gather information. He processes his own information, seeking the guidance he needs in order to order his world.

His confidence comes when his vision says "this is what I must do to create order"... nothing stands in his way of creating order. He will risk job, limb, life and the patient just to create order.
    I like a lot of this. However,
    House is obviously an introvert; he lives alone; he holds information close to his chest (Ni). He uses Te more than Ti, too; he constantly controls his world and manipulates/orders others and events.
    This sucked.

Why does an introvert seek out people like the janitor and airline passengers to jabber at? Why does he need a team to problem solve? How many INTJs are that involved in the lives of their associates, and are they that manipulative?

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

In fact, I just thought of something else:

House doesn't want to live alone. He sabotaged Wilson's attempts to find his own place when they were forced to live together. He was in a relationship (serious enough to assume they lived together), but after his leg went bad he's been in pain and a drug addict.

Still going with misanthropic E.

^He pronks, too! Magic Poriferan's Avatar
    MBTI
    Yin
    Enneagram
    One sx/sp

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Why does an introvert seek out people like the janitor and airline passengers to jabber at? Why does he need a team to problem solve? How many INTJs are that involved in the lives of their associates, and are they that manipulative?
    He's Intimate.
    Oh, yeah, I just broke out the instinctual stacking.

I always pegged House as an Intimate Eight.
    He may be an Introvert, but he's still intimate, so he is obsessive and possessive regarding his close associates.

I'm an Introvert to the bone. I always score like 85% Introvert on my tests.
    But I really, really do emotionally obsess over people(I'm a Thinker, too!)
    It just so happens that the Instinctual variant test always says I'm Intimate.
    I need those bonds with people, whether or not the drive is healthy.
    I still hate groups, by the way. I hate giving presentations, or anything like that.
    Just like House.
    Go to sleep, iguana.

MBTI
    ISTP

Because he likes hearing himself talk and likes people see how clever he is... that was part of the whole "peacock" point. They shut up when they don't know, but they won't shut up when they want to show off.

He needs a team because otherwise he'd have to do all the work. He said as much in the start of the show, along with needed a cute girl that is likely to work harder (and can get results from men), someone to break in and take the heat off of him...

And... that last question says you don't know enough INTJs. If there was a competition between INTJs and ENTPs on who is involved in others lives, the ENTP won't even be on the field - I'm not sure it would they would be a benchwarmer. Every INTJ I know gets involved in whatever the hell they want - and if they want to show the world they are right, it's time to scream and run. And if they need you to do something, oh yes, they are in your life. And if it amuses them or they think they should? It doesn't matter if you want it or not.

MBTI
    ISTP

In fact, I just thought of something else:

House doesn't want to live alone. He sabotaged Wilson's attempts to find his own place when they were forced to live together. He was in a relationship (serious enough to assume they lived together), but after his leg went bad he's been in pain and a drug addict.

Still going with misanthropic E.
    So you are saying that he wanted one person, a "friend" to be closer to him, and he sabotaged it for his own gain... and you want to call this an "E" trait? That's Ni-Te in action (me me me) with very little E going on (small groups = I, not one person to not be alone = E).

As I said from the start, I can understand the argument for ENTJ or xNTJ, but not for ENTP. I think he is an introvert but I can see the split due to writing demands and what not. However, the ENTP bit as a whole makes no sense to me.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

So you are saying that he wanted one person, a "friend" to be closer to him, and he sabotaged it for his own gain... and you want to call this an "E" trait? That's Ni-Te in action (me me me) with very little E going on (small groups = I, not one person to not be alone = E).
    So extraverts all live in group housing like army barracks?

I just think living alone is indicative of nothing.

MBTI
    ISTP

So extraverts all live in group housing like army barracks?

I just think living alone is indicative of nothing.
    That's quite a flip - I'm saying him wanting someone at home - a friend, is natural for all people, regardless of I/E. It doesn't indicate anything. How he kept him there and treats him sure isn't Eish, however, and house does come home alone, not out to a pub to drink with others - I think that preference is clear.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

That's quite a flip - I'm saying him wanting someone at home - a friend, is natural for all people, regardless of I/E. It doesn't indicate anything. How he kept him there and treats him sure isn't Eish, however, and house does come home alone, not out to a pub to drink with others - I think that preference is clear.
    Right, and living alone doesn't indicate anything either.

He does go out though, from racetracks to pubs to the hospital cafeteria... but I don't think that indicates anything either.

MBTI
    ISTP

Right, and living alone doesn't indicate anything either.

He does go out though, from racetracks to pubs to the hospital cafeteria... but I don't think that indicates anything either.
    Yup, I agree (FWIW, that original comment wasn't part of my argument, just to say that function association is subjective).

I, for example, am a stronger I than most of the population (well, more than 90%, and probably more than 95%)... yet I still have friends, still go out. I just hate being around people. I still work with them at work - both as a project lead (rarely, but it has happened) or as a grunt. Introversion isn't that simple to simply see - the big two are how one deals with strangers and how their emotions are configured.

House is, in this regard, really hard to type because he's screwed up. He has serious bonding issues and insecurities... and of course, he's written to play that up.

The difference I see is that he hates strangers - hates them, hates patients... just hates people. But not his people, as you note - not the people he makes dance. That is, to me, very I - the Es I know can sit down at a table and interact with others... house mounts an attack - all out warfare - on them at the first chance, be it a patient he doesn't want to see or some social thing he has been pushed into.

And house is about as positive as an electron.

MBTI
    INTJ

Sure - MBTI;

Initiating - Sociable, Congenial, Introduces people
    Expressive - Demonstrative, easier to know, self-revealing
    Gregarious - Seek popularity, broad circle, join groups
    Active - Interactive, want contact, Listen and speak
    Enthusiastic - Lively, Energetic, seek spotlight.

FFM;

Enthusiasm - Shows a lot of positive feelings
    Sociability - Prefers working with others
    Energy Mode - Prefers to be physically active
    Taking Charge - Enjoys responsibility of leading others
    Trust of Others - Readily trusts others
    Tact - Carefully selects the right words

Thank you.

I don't understand the tact thing.
    I thought that was an F or T indicator: Ts tend to be blunt, Fs tend to be diplomatic.
    Is that not true?