• ENTJ

25 6.11%
  • ENTP

153 37.41%
First 2230313233344282 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Since no one took up the challenge from yesterday I will instead ask a question.

How is House an introvert?
    He spends time in his office bouncing a ball against a wall when he's thinking. He frequently abandons his team to go be alone.

He does think out loud though, but so do I when I am frustrated and I start asking for help.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post
    he offered the function theory as an alternative. a theory that you don't understand. you don't know what you're talking about dude, so stop arguing.
    Honestly, coming from people who are misusing terms like reliability and validity and not understanding fundamental aspects of factor analysis and such... In any case, I'm afraid your version of "I read a book and I can type people well" fails to impress me... and constantly saying "I know more than you so I'm right" is a very poor argument.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram

yeah I tend to go to others for the "beginning stages" of my thinking, to gather tons of messy data. then i go off alone to sort through it.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    Honestly, coming from people who are misusing terms like reliability and validity and not understanding fundamental aspects of factor analysis and such... In any case, I'm afraid your version of "I read a book and I can type people well" fails to impress me... and constantly saying "I know more than you so I'm right" is a very poor argument.
    Thanks, I'm glad we could confuse yet another S.

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    (How did I become the one to defend MBTI? Egad. I'm washing my hands of this whole thing. I'm suppose to be the critic of MBTI here! Gah.)
    Thank you, pt -- the delicious irony here has got to be one of the most exciting birthday presents I've ever gotten!

I'm really enjoying reading this.

EDIT: Actually, I was enjoying reading this from the irony, but the content is becoming annoying.

Quote Originally Posted by dissonance View Post
    "I base my information from what I observe and from the stories I exchanged with people over time."
    = Si
    edit: that's not amazing evidence. but you seem very Si to me, citing things you've read; thinking of the past as a great authority, etc.
    edit: Sorry, I will try to tone it down... this is why I should wait to post a bit after reading something...

Regardless of someone's impressions of Non's type, this sort of thinking is just senseless. (Or perhaps your thought process is more complicated than this, and it's merely how you are articulating/justifying your views that comes off as extremely simplistic? I suppose it could be either...)

Sorry, I'm not in the mood to be diplomatic. I'm going to have to side with Non -- that there is a lot more in play here than a limited impromptu "function" assessment based on a virtual relationship. (This is generally why I do not waste my time participating in "Guess the Type" threads... because of the over-generalization of a few quotes or video images into some sort of simplistic functional analysis by armchair typists, without regard for context or history. I get intuitions myself about people's types, but I am still very wary of trying to sound definitive in a situation where it is clear I can't possibly "know" anything.)

And generally, this is the sort of stuff that the tests have been developed to compensate for.

Everyone has all the functions. What functions we use more often depend on context as well as our past. In this particular case, I propose that anyone can "base information from what I observe and from the stories I exchanged with people over time" -- regardless of actual type.

You would be a fool, regardless of type, to exclude this flow of information when it comes to evaluating what is happening in the world around you... or to simply assign it to a particular type. And as people mature, regardless of type, they tend to accept more and more lines of input as a matter of course; they don't remain fixated on their preferred data flow(s).
    Last edited by Bellflower; 11-29-2007 at 11:25 AM. Reason: toning down a little...
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    He spends time in his office bouncing a ball against a wall when he's thinking. He frequently abandons his team to go be alone.
    Yes he does. Doesn't mean introvert, it just means that he knows that he's capable of dextrous logical deduction while on his own rather than with people, since that's what he really does, if you're paying attention.
    He does think out loud though, but so do I when I am frustrated and I start asking for help.
    This is what Ne does. Frustrated or not, this is Ne.

MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Since no one took up the challenge from yesterday I will instead ask a question.

How is House an introvert?
    Oh this won't see saw for ages.

Question to clarify your question Maccy G.

If House were portrayed as a classic introvert where all the internal monologue was internal and there was no insight into the character, would it be as interesting?

Basically if the write made House a proper introvert would the series be as successful?

(As you have no doubt intuited, don't you think it pays to make the introvert extroverted? Hell you got to see a lot more of Mulder than probably half his colleagues did.)
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    Oh this won't see saw for ages.

Question to clarify your question Maccy G.

If House were portrayed as a classic introvert where all the internal monologue was internal and there was no insight into the character, would it be as interesting?

Basically if the write made House a proper introvert would the series be as successful?
    Yes. Especially if he was a strung out INTP. Like the einstein of medicine. I think people would watch more if he were like that. I would anyway. He just sits there and stares at the wall for a long time, and when he does come up with the answer he's tripping over things and falling out of hi chair, just in time for the team to recognize he's figured it out. There wouldn't be the conflict between him and Cuddy... or anyone else really, but it would be funnier, I think.

(As you have no doubt intuited, don't you think it pays to make the introvert extroverted? Hell you got to see a lot more of Mulder than probably half his colleagues did.)
    Either way, if the introvert is extraverted, he's still an extravert. That's like saying, well wouldn't he be a woman if he had tits and a vagina?

MBTI
    FREE
    Enneagram
    594 sx/sp
    Socionics
    LII Ne

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    Yes. Especially if he was a strung out INTP. Like the einstein of medicine. I think people would watch more if he were like that. I would anyway. He just sits there and stares at the wall for a long time, and when he does come up with the answer he's tripping over things and falling out of hi chair, just in time for the team to recognize he's figured it out. There wouldn't be the conflict between him and Cuddy... or anyone else really, but it would be funnier, I think.
    it definitely would be funnier... for a short while. But for a TV show (or movie, or visual medium), it simply doesn't fly long. That tends to be one of the inherent difficulties in writing introverted characters for visual medium; they work well in books, with an omniscient narrator, but NOT where you must constantly "show" and can't "tell."
    "Hey Capa -- We're only stardust." ~ "Sunshine"

“Pleasure to me is wonder—the unexplored, the unexpected, the thing that is hidden and the changeless thing that lurks behind superficial mutability. To trace the remote in the immediate; the eternal in the ephemeral; the past in the present; the infinite in the finite; these are to me the springs of delight and beauty.” ~ H.P. Lovecraft

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer View Post
    it definitely would be funnier... for a short while. But for a TV show (or movie, or visual medium), it simply doesn't fly long. That tends to be one of the inherent difficulties in writing introverted characters for visual medium; they work well in books, with an omniscient narrator, but NOT where you must constantly "show" and can't "tell."
    Sure, I understand that.

How does that make him an introvert?

I don't think House's type is any different just because the executives want to make more money.