1 0.24%
  • ENTJ

25 6.11%
  • ENTP

153 37.41%
First 917181920212969 Last

MBTI
    INTJ

Just for the record, I think there are other reasons why people test wrongly.
    1- The questions are not asked in such a way as to get a correct answer from each type.
    2- People don't know themselves well enough - especially s types and guys.
    3- A person almost has to understand the system to know what the question means and what they're driving at.
    4- A person has to be brutally honest with themselves in order to get the right result.

no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    Yah, I guess that's like how I feel about people typing others behaviourally.
    Fair enough. Too bad there's no way for any self analysis to be accurate, since invariably people lie about themselves.

However a bystander only watching, can be more objective when it doesn't involve themselves... well, I guess I shouldn't ask an SP to understand. Ni doesn't put theory into practice, so it makes sense that you'd have that attitude.

If you know what to look for, behavioral typology is flawless. Not saying I always do know what to look for, but if someone does know what to look for, and does it, they won't go wrong.

It can be compared to mathematics -- if you can identify the right formula (function) to go by you won't go wrong.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    Just for the record, I think there are other reasons why people test wrongly.
    1- The questions are not asked in such a way as to get a correct answer from each type.
    2- People don't know themselves well enough - especially s types and guys.
    3- A person almost has to understand the system to know what the question means and what they're driving at.
    4- A person has to be brutally honest with themselves in order to get the right result.
    And they won't do it 'cause they think by lying to the test, it makes them a more ideal person. I tested as an ISTP more than once. As I learned more and more about the system, I realized that was dead wrong. I didn't want it to be (and for a long while I wouldn't admit it) but I eventually gave in to what was actually going on.

I had personal bias toward being ISTP after reading the type description by Joe Butt. Eventually I had to give it up.

MBTI
    ISTP

Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    Fair enough. Too bad there's no way for any self analysis to be accurate, since invariably people lie about themselves.

However a bystander only watching, can be more objective when it doesn't involve themselves... well, I guess I shouldn't ask an SP to understand. Ni doesn't put theory into practice, so it makes sense that you'd have that attitude.
    Ah, awesomeness. You defeated your own argument for me. Welcome to being an "objective" bystander. Well, least you think I'm an ISTP. That's something.

You do realize the irony in typing a fictional character behaviourally, right? Theoretically you'd be either unable to type the character being projected or be typing the actor himself. IOW, you'd be better off reading the script... or I suppose asking the writer what type he wanted the character to be.

If you know what to look for, behavioral typology is flawless. Not saying I always do know what to look for, but if someone does know what to look for, and does it, they won't go wrong.
    *pats head* Whatever theory makes you happy, I suppose.

MBTI
    ENTP

Quote Originally Posted by ptgatsby View Post
    Ah, awesomeness. You defeated your own argument for me. Welcome to being an "objective" bystander. Well, least you think I'm an ISTP. That's something.

You do realize the irony in typing a fictional character behaviourally, right? Theoretically you'd be either unable to type the character being projected or be typing the actor himself. IOW, you'd be better off reading the script... or I suppose asking the writer what type he wanted the character to be.

*pats head* Whatever theory makes you happy, I suppose.
    Uhm... now my head hurts...

Actually I'm not talking about what House's INTENDED type is according to the script. That's irrelevant. I don't even see how that notion could be drawn from what's being said here.

I'm talking about how he actually comes off in the show. Irrespective of by what force (by the director actor or writer) House consistently gains his insights by comparing two seemingly separate situations. That's Ne, no matter which way you slice it.

I really don't see how I've broken my own argument. Care to elaborate?

MBTI
    ISTP

I'm talking about how he actually comes off in the show. Irrespective of by what force (by the director actor or writer) House consistently gains his insights by comparing two seemingly separate situations. That's Ne, no matter which way you slice it.
    You mean the actor pretending to be a character that he is not? He might be ENTP - he was a comedian and such... fits the profile.

House is fictional - he is not the actor. It works only two ways;

1) You can observe a person and find out their cognitive functions... in this case, you cannot type House in this method (the actor is what you are observing.)

2) You can observe behaviour and compare it to similar types (ie: the actor can pretend to be someone by taking on characteristics that the character would have - the actor thinks differently than the character he plays - ie: you cannot determine how any fictional character is cognitively wired because the character doesn't exist, only the actor pretending to be the character).

In case 1), as you claim, you could theoretically know how someone operates just by watching him... In case 2), you are saying that you cannot observe anyone because anyone can become someone else (thus making observation -> function impossible).

It means that you are either typing the actor and not the character or you are typing the character on a flawed model.

I really don't see how I've broken my own argument. Care to elaborate?
    Eh, you stereotyped me based on cognitive functions as an objective "observer", concluding my inability to see things your way comes from that. You know nothing about me and are willing to project your functional views as justification.

MBTI
    INTJ

And they won't do it 'cause they think by lying to the test, it makes them a more ideal person. I tested as an ISTP more than once. As I learned more and more about the system, I realized that was dead wrong. I didn't want it to be (and for a long while I wouldn't admit it) but I eventually gave in to what was actually going on.

I had personal bias toward being ISTP after reading the type description by Joe Butt. Eventually I had to give it up.
    I don't like his descriptions.

Permabanned
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_

... you even sound like House.

MBTI
    INFP
    Enneagram

I was gonna say- case in point!
    The one who buggers a fire burns his penis
    -anonymous graffiti in the basilica at Pompeii

MBTI
    INTJ

Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    ... you even sound like House.
    OH no! Now he's gonna say that proves House is an ENTP!