User Tag List

View Poll Results: What type is House?

Voters
409. You may not vote on this poll
  • INTP

    74 18.09%
  • INTJ

    121 29.58%
  • INFP

    2 0.49%
  • INFJ

    2 0.49%
  • ISTP

    4 0.98%
  • ISTJ

    4 0.98%
  • ISFP

    2 0.49%
  • ISFJ

    5 1.22%
  • ESFJ

    6 1.47%
  • ESFP

    5 1.22%
  • ESTJ

    3 0.73%
  • ESTP

    1 0.24%
  • ENFJ

    1 0.24%
  • ENFP

    1 0.24%
  • ENTJ

    25 6.11%
  • ENTP

    153 37.41%
First 311121314152363 Last

Results 121 to 130 of 1047

  1. #121
    Lex Parsimoniae Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    4,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Two episodes illustrate why he is an extravert:

    Episode #64 "Airborne": He recruits three passengers that superficially resemble his team. Why? Certainly not for their medical expertise. They are an audience to bounce ideas off, and to hear himself think. Extravert.

    Episode #71 "Alone": I'll let Wilson make my case for me: "You were bouncing ideas off a janitor!!" Extravert.

    As Cuddy told him in that episode, he needs a team. Even one where he just dismisses their ideas out of hand.

    I too thought he was an introvert for the first season or so. But that has not proven itself out. The past two seasons have been such exquiste representations of NeTi at work.

    ENTP.
    Could be so but I just don't see the whole smartass thing just for shits and giggles. It's more like he's analysing people. Perhaps that's why he'd need a team. Without people around him he has no reactions to analyse, no context in which to frame himself.

    If he is an extrovert then why only three people? Why the same three people? Why shun new people or changes to his environment? Why is he so sure he's right? Why doesn't he evade incoming criticism? Surely it is INTJ to just stand there as if all the bullets and tank shells in the world could not pierce his defences?

    I'm not sold but you make an interesting counter point.

    Perhaps if we analyse in what way House is messed up then we would be able to remove this and see the creature underneath (this is way too in depth for a TV character but it's fun ).
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

  2. #122
    Permabanned
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    xkcd
    Enneagram
    9w1 sx/sp
    Socionics
    INT_
    Posts
    10,733

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Xander View Post
    If he is an extrovert then why only three people? Why the same three people? Why shun new people or changes to his environment? Why is he so sure he's right? Why doesn't he evade incoming criticism? Surely it is INTJ to just stand there as if all the bullets and tank shells in the world could not pierce his defences?
    Extravert doesn't always mean "people person".

    An extravert is oriented to the outside world, but it can be things and ideas rather than people. The lead Ne is fired up by hearing his ideas and others bouncing around in space.

    House is a misanthrope, so he doesn't like people, but he's an extravert so he needs their "energy" - their ideas.

    Also look at how involved he is in their lives. He is constantly on the lookout for personal secrets they are trying to hide. Whether it is a new girlfriend, trying to get pregnant, a dead parent, whatever. He wants to know and will manipulate to find it out.

  3. #123
    Lex Parsimoniae Xander's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    9w8
    Socionics
    INTj
    Posts
    4,463

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by MacGuffin View Post
    Extravert doesn't always mean "people person".

    An extravert is oriented to the outside world, but it can be things and ideas rather than people. The lead Ne is fired up by hearing his ideas and others bouncing around in space.

    House is a misanthrope, so he doesn't like people, but he's an extravert so he needs their "energy" - their ideas.

    Also look at how involved he is in their lives. He is constantly on the lookout for personal secrets they are trying to hide. Whether it is a new girlfriend, trying to get pregnant, a dead parent, whatever. He wants to know and will manipulate to find it out.
    That's also a point where I'd disagree.
    House has friends and hell even dates. Sure he makes out like he doesn't like anyone but that's not what his pattern of behaviour says. To me he reads like an introverted T who's not really interested in running about after people or putting up with more than he has to but he still likes people.

    The INTJ I know is highly critical of just about everyone. He still likes people though and enjoys throwing insults around esp between friends.

    What makes you think misanthropic extrovert as opposed to guarded INTJ?
    I mean the whole need for an audience on one occasion is comparable to grandstanding which is quite common on INTPc (though admittedly the internet is more prone to this) and I myself would require a team to work in that kind of situation. Who the hell would want to have to try and think of every possibility whilst the life of a patient and my paycheck hung in the balance?
    Isn't it time for a colourful metaphor?

  4. #124
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    ESTJ
    Posts
    232

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy View Post
    It doesn't have to be a J trait. Just because you don't HEAR or SEE the information doesn't mean that he hasn't made the connections in his head. One thing you have to keep in mind about intuition is, it's all fabricated through inferences, expressed or not. He might be taking in more information than you can understand being an S.
    I think making judgments based on incoming information on a quick basis is different from reading books about a subject matter and connecting the dots together. I would say an ENTP- who has the personality trait tendency to be a conspiracy theorist is the type who takes a little while for information to absorb before making theories about a particular subject. Whereas, imho, an INFJ will quickly judge the situation to make assessments that may or may not have basis in logic. As far as House is concerned, some of his diagnoses are ridiculously illogical in the sense that he seems to not use textbook diagnoses to assess his patients. For doctors, it's really just a guessing game- because people's symptoms tend to vary greatly even if they are suffering from the same disease. Whereas an INTJ doctor is more of a textbook doctor- in that things are done by the book.

    Also, House is a painkiller addict. His primary goal is to attain relief from his drug addiction. An ENTP, if he would have any proclivities towards drug addiction would more likely be a pot/cocaine addict.

    This is varying off the topic, but it appears to me that most painkiller addicts tend to be of INFX variety. They like the special world in which their thoughts and feelings become exaggerated under the cloud of a synthetic-emotional-high. (This is not saying all INFXs are painkiller addicts- but there is something about their personality that facilitates that addiction)

    Quote Originally Posted by Nocapszy
    And like I've said, people shouldn't be categorized on a single dichotomy. J for NFJ is COMPLETELY different from NTJ's version of J. Just like P is different for NTPs than SFPs etc.
    This is irrelevant. All personality types tend to use their J-function in conjunction with Ne, Ni, Ti, Te, Se, Si but I would say that what NXJs- have in common is that they have to tendency to be quick about their judgments as their discriminatory processes are more elevated than the other types. That is why most FPs complain that they are "judgmental"

  5. #125
    ✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    3,262

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hotmale View Post
    Also, House is a painkiller addict. His primary goal is to attain relief from his drug addiction. An ENTP, if he would have any proclivities towards drug addiction would more likely be a pot/cocaine addict.
    his primary goal is definitely NOT to "attain relief from" his drug addiction. he knows all he has to do is stop taking them. he simply sees no reason to do so, since they don't negatively effect his productivity. something that makes perfect sense. if it's not causing a problem, then it's not a problem. the end.

    whether the character is entp or not, the fact that he takes an opiate based drug makes more since than either drug you mentioned for a lot of reasons:

    it would make sense to use vicadin instead of cocaine. cocaine can't be so easily dropped, it's much more expensive, it's illegal thus riskier and harder to attain, it's more addictive, and therefore not a drug of choice if the goal is to enjoy the effect of a drug while being the most productive and still in 'control'.

    pot wouldn't be the most logical thing to use as it's one, against the law, therefore riskier, two, not as easy to get his hands on, three, isn't a pain killer, and four, doesn't leave one with a feeling of euphoria while allowing the ability to think clearly.

    so, for those reasons, i disagree, as an ENTP, that being one necessarily means the drugs of choice would be cocaine or pot.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥


    Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery

  6. #126
    Senior Member Sandy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2007
    MBTI
    INFP
    Posts
    552

    Default House is a hoot!

    I have enjoyed watched House since the series began! He makes me howl with laughter!

    I chose INTJ because I know of ONE person personally (I work with) who is the closest fit to House's character. He's a 35-year old engineer and the oldest man I have ever met! (crabby, cocky, selfish, argumentative and defiant, meticulous, brash and bold at times, opinionated, and brilliant!) This is one grumpy colleague I can't stand to work with (in teams, we don't work well together). :steam:

    Also, of all the INTPs I know, they don't fit House's personality at all.

    Also, as much as I love Hugh's character, I would HATE having him as a doctor... I would want a doctor with BOTH the brains and the nice bedside manner.
    -Sandy
    I - 75% N - 55% F - 55% P - 61%
    Enneagram 4w5

    There is love... in the red letters
    There is truth... in the red letters

  7. #127
    Senior Member INTJMom's Avatar
    Join Date
    Sep 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Posts
    5,350

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by digesthisickness View Post
    his primary goal is definitely NOT to "attain relief from" his drug addiction. he knows all he has to do is stop taking them. he simply sees no reason to do so, since they don't negatively effect his productivity. something that makes perfect sense. if it's not causing a problem, then it's not a problem. the end.....
    I think the reason his drug problem is not interfering with his work is because it's a tv show and it's in the script. For us normal human beings, painkillers would be a serious detriment to our ability to make quick and/or sound judgments. Painkillers dull your senses.

    It's actually sad that they have not dealt with his addiction in a healthy way. How many addicts are they "enabling" with their tv show? Addicts lie to themselves. They deceive themselves into thinking the drugs are not interfering when in fact they are, and they won't listen to anyone who tells them otherwise.

  8. #128
    ✿ڿڰۣஇღ♥ wut ♥ღஇڿڰۣ✿ digesthisickness's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    3,262

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by INTJMom View Post
    I think the reason his drug problem is not interfering with his work is because it's a tv show and it's in the script. For us normal human beings, painkillers would be a serious detriment to our ability to make quick and/or sound judgments. Painkillers dull your senses.
    not always. overwhelming pain on the other hand, does.
    ✻ღϠ₡ღ✻
    (¯`✻´¯)
    `*.¸.*'ღϠ₡ღஇڿڰۣ
    •.¸¸. Ƹ̵̡Ӝ̵̨̄Ʒჱܓ. இڿڰۣ.¸¸.இڿڰۣ´¯`·.─♥


    Cerebral Artery
    http://www.facebook.com/CerebralArtery

  9. #129
    no clinkz 'til brooklyn Nocapszy's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jun 2007
    MBTI
    ENTP
    Posts
    4,516

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by hotmale View Post
    I think making judgments based on incoming information on a quick basis is different from reading books about a subject matter and connecting the dots together. .
    Well clearly you don't know what Ne does. I shouldn't even respond to the rest of your post, because likely the rest of it is as idiotic as this statement.

    I would say an ENTP- who has the personality trait tendency to be a conspiracy theorist is the type who takes a little while for information to absorb before making theories about a particular subject. Whereas, imho, an INFJ will quickly judge the situation to make assessments that may or may not have basis in logic. As far as House is concerned, some of his diagnoses are ridiculously illogical
    (A.K.A. Intuitive)

    in the sense that he seems to not use textbook diagnoses to assess his patients. For doctors, it's really just a guessing game- because people's symptoms tend to vary greatly even if they are suffering from the same disease. Whereas an INTJ doctor is more of a textbook doctor- in that things are done by the book.
    Not necessarily. An INTJ might go against the book if he's got a better idea, and the book doesn't work. If both of those criteria aren't filled, the INTJ obeys.


    Also, House is a painkiller addict. His primary goal is to attain relief from his drug addiction. An ENTP, if he would have any proclivities towards drug addiction would more likely be a pot/cocaine addict.
    More of that ESTJ overassuming. I gotta tell you, I love that. It's great. Keep it up.

    This is varying off the topic, but it appears to me that most painkiller addicts tend to be of INFX variety.
    And more of the same

    They like the special world in which their thoughts and feelings become exaggerated under the cloud of a synthetic-emotional-high. (This is not saying all INFXs are painkiller addicts- but there is something about their personality that facilitates that addiction)
    Actually, I don't think any type is any more inclined towards wanting to get high than any other type. Drugs are not correlated with type. Period. I think INFs are more likely to experiment than SJs, because they're not scared of the police/unknown. That doesn't necessarily mean that they're by default attracted to or even interested in, or in any way inclined toward taking drugs. Let alone being addicted to them.

    Anyway, the INF who is attracted to drugs, is probably moreso to hallucinogens, which are almost all non-addicting. That includes Pot. (start at urbandictionary.com and then progress toward wikipedia for more information)


    This is irrelevant.
    Nothing I say is ever irrelevant.
    All personality types tend to use their J-function in conjunction with Ne, Ni, Ti, Te, Se, Si
    What the fuck are you talking about? Do you even know what MBTI is?
    but I would say that what NXJs- have in common is that they have to tendency to be quick about their judgments
    Y'know it's interesting you say judgements, because Jung used a very different definition of the word than the popular definition used today. Currently people view judgements (yourself included, as I'm able to intuit) as negative feelings for a person or a situation. That's not the case according to MBTI though. ENTPs make quick assessments (which is a more accurate term to describe Ti's process). These, so often, look like judgement, because the ENTP might be able to see something in the person (and will likely verbalize) doesn't like about themselves, which can be construed as a judgement. This kind of thing, I believe leads to mistyping, as seen in the case of House, not because of a lack of ability to observe people, but a poor understanding of this typing system.

    Way to use clich
    Last edited by proteanmix; 11-26-2007 at 09:59 AM. Reason: merged posts and then it cut off. sorry!

  10. #130
    On a mission Usehername's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2007
    MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1
    Posts
    3,823

    Default

    Mac is goddamn right. He NEEDS people. Even as much as he wants to be, or look like an introvert, he's not. He just isn't. There's really no questioning it if you understand MBTI. House is an extravert.
    I disagree.

    I think all that can be concluded is that he is not an extreme introvert. Because all people need people. He lives alone and his only contact with people is his job. I don't see how we can conclude he's an E by seeing how he "needs people to interact with" at work. Work is his only source of interaction.
    *You don't have a soul. You are a Soul. You have a body.
    *Faith is the art of holding on to things your reason once accepted, despite your changing moods.
    C.S. Lewis

Similar Threads

  1. What type is Shadow the Hedgehog (Sonic Adventure 2 Battle)
    By Athenian200 in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 02-29-2016, 05:04 PM
  2. What type is Falcarius the dinosaur?
    By Falcarius in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 7
    Last Post: 01-06-2015, 09:34 PM
  3. What type is Dr. House?
    By Anentropic IxTx in forum Popular Culture and Type
    Replies: 1
    Last Post: 01-02-2009, 11:15 AM
  4. What type is he?
    By Climber07 in forum What's my Type?
    Replies: 6
    Last Post: 02-28-2008, 03:34 PM
  5. What type is the most pedantic?
    By Kiddo in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 43
    Last Post: 10-24-2007, 02:11 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO