User Tag List

View Poll Results: I have good manners

Voters
74. You may not vote on this poll
  • 1---I am a real dick

    1 1.35%
  • 2---I couldn't care less about manners

    3 4.05%
  • 3---I use manners when I want something

    3 4.05%
  • 4---I use manners around strangers most of the time

    10 13.51%
  • 5---I use manners when I have to, but I have to force it

    6 8.11%
  • 6---I am reasonably well-mannered

    27 36.49%
  • 7---I am better mannered than most of my friends

    2 2.70%
  • 8---I use manners with my friends, but not so much with my family

    4 5.41%
  • 9---I have really good manners and use them most of the time

    14 18.92%
  • 10--I am as well mannered as the queen of england

    4 5.41%
First 23456 Last

Results 31 to 40 of 62

  1. #31
    Glycerine
    Guest

    Default

    Just a random thought. If you are overly concerned w/ manners and you EXPECT other people to reciprocate (stereotypically Fe), you can come off as rather judgmental (you in the general sense). Some Fe users drive me crazy because of this. As a Fe user, it's like a struggle between being PC/proper vs. being yourself.

  2. #32
    No Cigar Litvyak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,787

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aphrodite-gone-awry View Post
    okay. what about the 'honest' jerk-off who is an ass to someone in the name of honesty?
    WAY more appreciated than the dishonest worm who hides the poison of ignorance behind kind words and a smile.

    Quote Originally Posted by aphrodite-gone-awry View Post
    expressing dislike in a mannerly way does take finesse.
    Expressing dislike without being afraid of the consequences takes bravery. Say things as they are, not as people would like to hear it.

    Quote Originally Posted by aphrodite-gone-awry View Post
    Are we all hurt
    Yes.

    Quote Originally Posted by aphrodite-gone-awry View Post
    and hiding?
    No.

    ETA: I do think this is an Fe-related thing, though.

  3. #33
    Intriguing.... Quinlan's Avatar
    Join Date
    Apr 2008
    MBTI
    ISFP
    Enneagram
    9w1
    Socionics
    Booo
    Posts
    3,005

    Default

    We may be less mannered but we're probably more sincere because of it.

    I suppose I am reasonably well mannered, I'm sure to say please and thank you and I'm patient with others. I am terrible at assessing the needs of others though, I'll gladly help you but I usually need to be told what it is you want.
    Act your age not your enneagram number.

    Quinlan's Creations

  4. #34
    failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni
    Posts
    5,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Randomnity View Post
    Yeah this is me too. The simple things I'm in the habit of always doing, but I don't tend to go...out of my way, I guess? Half the time I think it's unnecessary or would make people feel weird, I dunno.
    This sounds pretty mannerly because you are putting people's feelings first.

    Quote Originally Posted by VagrantFarce View Post
    Manners are relative, and saying that no one has any manners anymore is indicative of a dogmatic-Fe stance that refuses to adapt to changing circumstances and the cultural tide.

    That's my excuse, anyway.
    But why are circumstances changing so quickly? What's causing that to happen? People are not evolving that quickly. Are we all becoming immune to lack of manners, or is it bothersome that the cultural tide is changing so quickly in this regard?

    Quote Originally Posted by YourLocalJesus View Post
    Why are most people lacking in manners?
    The question if they do is pointless. They do.
    It is because they are uneducated rabble.
    Not like the working class used to be.
    Television and media bombardment leaves its marks.
    They do not care about things like being polite and honest.
    Lots of people nowadays think that it is okay or even cool
    to be a criminal as long as you get away with it in some "cool" way.
    It's just decadence because they have never had to struggle.

    Before, the working class was indeed poor. But it read a lot of books and it had traditions and values.
    It was steadfast and unrelenting. When democracy that they had been longing for finally came around and life gradually became easier, things started to deteriorate with every generation in most families.
    This is not unheard of historically, either. It's ups and downs.
    It will bring around a new time of trouble and lots of people will doubtlessly die.

    Where before someone would rather cut their own arm off than steal, some now do.
    Before, everyone opened doors for and helped old ladies carry things or get over streets.
    Giving your seat in a bus or train to someone old and fragile is just something one should do.
    Lots of snotty little brats as well as "adults" now don't give a **** about anyone but themselves.

    They're no longer "working class" like us honest people.
    They are just trash proletariat. A term called "Lumpenproletariat" by Marx and Engels.
    God, nothing pisses me off like this. That's why I at first didn't write about it...
    Well, I decided to do so anyway.
    Well, thanks for sharing that view. I can tell it means a lot to you. What is it about the working class, do you think, that made/makes it more considerate of others? You mention tv and media. How does this affect people regarding their manners?
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

    The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

    Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

    songofmary.wordpress.com


  5. #35
    failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni
    Posts
    5,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by shortnsweet View Post
    I think of manners as an Fe thing. I put 5 but I think I would change it to 6. I wouldn't say that I'm not well mannered but I think I get too comfortable too quick. I'm not as natural with formalities as I should be, unless I'm trying really hard, like for an interview or something. I do feel that generations before us did a better job at this. (The generations before the baby boomers.) They were less centered in their own success and busy lives and more centered in relationships and each other. I haven't read the article yet so I don't understand the technology question, but I can take a blind smack at it. I think we get too used to communicating via technology, which doesn't require as much skill with etiquette, as manners a lot of times require certain body language and facial expressions. I think of "technology manners" as using capital letters, proper punctuation, and spelling, and full sentences. An email with all the new abbreviations and smileys, lowercase, whatever, would indicate either a closer relationship, and of course you wouldn't email a resume with this type of language. But face to face manners are a completely different thing, obviously. So in short, no I don't think it's less necessary, but it's definitely less common since people get less practice. If that makes sense. I may be off in left field with this, but it's my own idea without having read the article to know what you're talking about.

    I work with the elderly and find that having manners goes a long way in my friendships with them. They tend to open up and feel more comfortable around a young lady with manners, because that's what they grew up with.

    Edit: Just read the technology in public article. That is much more accepted than it was even 5 years ago, I think.
    I'm curious what makes you say the bolded. Is it just your thoughts, or is it something you've observed/heard in the senior adults you work with, or is it personal experience?

    Quote Originally Posted by TheChosenOne View Post
    I wasn't going to comment, but I am now since there are people who disagree with my POV...



    Not at all. I've seen people (specifically males), with otherwise low Fe, display very good manners because they know it's advantageous to the situation (not geniune).
    That's an interesting point about being genuine. To me, there is something genuine in just using manners whether or not you are getting the same feeling out of it as the recipient of your good manners. You know?





    No. Manners are still important - in interviews, meeting future in-laws, etc.
    lolz

    Quote Originally Posted by teslashock View Post
    Could you please excuse me from posting anything substantial in this thread? Thank you. *curtsies*
    Absolutely. Thanks for dropping in, Tesla, and we hope you come again.


    1!
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

    The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

    Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

    songofmary.wordpress.com


  6. #36
    failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni
    Posts
    5,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by disregard View Post
    Perhaps because parents aren't hounding their children about manners because it isn't necessary for social survival anymore. Looks? Money? Social status? Much easier way to win people over.
    I think manners is either taught, or more likely, modeled form parent(s) to child. Perhaps and Fe dom/aux would naturally adopt manners without being taught, who knows? Isn't social survival still necessary though? We still need each other. We have to work together at least. We have to live in families. Why aren't children learning/being taught manners anymore?

    Quote Originally Posted by BerberElla View Post
    Hasn't that always been the case though? in all ages, looks, money and social status have mattered more when it comes to winning over people, than manners ever have.

    I hear people often going on about todays generation lacking manners, but I have been pushed by a granny trying to get on a bus, whilst I was holding a baby in one arm and pram in the other, not even giving me the chance to move out of her way, no excuse me, no manners whatsoever, so it's not purely generational.

    It's a running joke that one should be careful of grannies near buses over here, they are rude.

    Big city living over rural living is another that springs to mind when people talk about differences in manners. Yet that only works in you fit in to the small city and don't stand out, where were the manners in a small village I lived in in yorkshire when they were busy hailing out "Oi, paki" to me and my son?
    Very introspective post! It seems like if the granny had grown up with manners, she would use them. It seems like a small village would be more intimate and hold their actions more accountable preventing their members from cat-calling to a mom and her son. Which would leave one to conclude no one generation or demographic is better than another. But what if granny's generation DID have manners, but granny got so burned having to limp across town with her cane because the asshole busdriver left her or because there was no room on the bus for her? Maybe after a couple years of that happening, granny got wise to the new ways of the wicked world. Maybe the values in a small-town are afflicted by the same evils that the city is afflicted with. Maybe something else is going on.

    Vs the teenage, hooded, criminal looking youth who stopped to ask me the other day if I needed help with my shopping, getting onto the bus, here in city living where I am now.
    he prolly thought you were hot.

    I don't know, I've seen manners span across cultures and generations, with only the personality, ie being a nice person, being the defining factor.
    Quote Originally Posted by Adoamros View Post
    I voted 9 but maybe I should have voted differently. I am socially conscientious but it does feel forced/faux half of the time. Treating everyone mannerly does keep the harmony, but it can also hide a person's true colors. If you really valued a person's manners and then find out they are actually crude on the inside you might feel betrayed or think the person is two-faced. But that's a given since most everyone has different faces for different people.

    You can assume I am closer/friendlier to you the more crudeness you see projected outward from me. And the more mannerly and small-talk-y I am to you the more you can assume the relationship between us is superficial and weak. Manners are a tool people use to keep on good common grounds with strangers, acquaintances, and their boss.
    When you are the recipient of good manners, I don't think you analyze too much what's below the surface, unless something else is going on with you. I think the act of having and using good manners is really what counts. You know, the action. I agree with you about good manners being a tool. But I would also add that manners are nice to use with your family too.. For example, I expect my children to thank me for dinner after they eat. Yes, I know they are being forced to say this, but over time, they do learn consideration for the person who prepared their food, which I hope they carry into their life, but I also like hearing it!
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

    The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

    Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

    songofmary.wordpress.com


  7. #37
    failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2009
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni
    Posts
    5,651

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by 1104 View Post
    authenticity is worth more than cultured behavior. manners themselves don't matter. truth and respect are all you need to please. [bitch about babylon]
    I agree about authenticity. But respect is manners, no? So if you need respect to please, don't you need manners to please?

    Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Nope, I don't feel responsibility, but I still am nice to people because I want to. I cannot bring myself to feel like I have to, though.



    Not generally, unless I explicitly like them. I mean, if I like them, of course I will try to make them feel comfortable as much as I can. This isn't what is commonly understood as manners, though, from my perspective, since manners are meant to be used indipendently from our feelings towardas the person.



    I think I can see what can make a person uncomfortable, so in that sense my Fe does not suck completely. I don't want to work at Fe because I don't like the effects, I don't really derive enjoyment from being nice to people I don't feel any connection with. My family seems to tolerate it quite well, I like them thus I don't have any problem being nice to 'em.
    Really? Are you sure? Have you tried this? Random acts of kindness?

    Quote Originally Posted by Pitseleh View Post
    Just a random thought. If you are overly concerned w/ manners and you EXPECT other people to reciprocate (stereotypically Fe), you can come off as rather judgmental (you in the general sense). Some Fe users drive me crazy because of this. As a Fe user, it's like a struggle between being PC/proper vs. being yourself.
    I agree. Judgmental mannerly behavior is very easy to spot. Manners are to make people feel comfortable, not pressure them into behaving a certain way.

    Quote Originally Posted by Litvyak View Post
    WAY more appreciated than the dishonest worm who hides the poison of ignorance behind kind words and a smile.



    Expressing dislike without being afraid of the consequences takes bravery. Say things as they are, not as people would like to hear it.
    But this might be more than a situation calls for--honesty at all costs. Yes, expressing dislike valiantly takes finesse, and manners are very much called for in this circumstance.




    Quote Originally Posted by Quinlan View Post
    We may be less mannered but we're probably more sincere because of it.
    I don't know about that.

    I suppose I am reasonably well mannered, I'm sure to say please and thank you and I'm patient with others. I am terrible at assessing the needs of others though, I'll gladly help you but I usually need to be told what it is you want.
    isfp that you are/ we forgive you we'll tell you what we need........
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

    The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

    Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

    songofmary.wordpress.com


  8. #38
    `~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    9,849

    Default

    I am a fan of human decency, consideration and kindness, and I think all three of these things equate to the holy trinity of manners.

    In terms of speaking manners, I am a fan of saying and hearing please and thank you.

    I am also a fan of letting others speak up when they desire or need to and actually listening to what they say when they are talking. If you need to interject, excuse yourself, and you better have a good reason for interjecting.

    Regarding actions, I open doors for people, and I hold doors for those behind me, I am rarely if ever in a rush, so I mind the traffic around me.

    Regarding driving, I never honk unless someone is about to hit me, and I let people in my lane, or stop to let someone out of a parking space whenever I catch it in time.

    More than anything, I know how strong of an effect people have on others, it's almost infectious, actually, so I always try my part to make any social interaction as enjoyable/mutually beneficial as possible.

    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

    "A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

    "That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

    Veritatem dies aperit

    Ride si sapis

    Intelligentle sparkles

  9. #39
    `~~Philosoflying~~` SillySapienne's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2008
    MBTI
    ENFP
    Enneagram
    4w5
    Posts
    9,849

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aphrodite-gone-awry View Post
    Manners are to make people feel comfortable.
    Absolutely, yes!!!

    I find that manners are the byproduct of treating people with a certain level of respect and consideration.

    When you are in the company of others, you are NOT by yourself, therefore you must realize that you are not the center of the universe and that, for the time being, you must adjust or acclimate to not only meeting your own needs but the needs of others as well.
    `
    'Cause you can't handle me...

    "A lie is a lie even if everyone believes it. The truth is the truth even if nobody believes it." - David Stevens

    "That that is, is. That that is not, is not. Is that it? It is."

    Veritatem dies aperit

    Ride si sapis

    Intelligentle sparkles

  10. #40
    No Cigar Litvyak's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2008
    Posts
    1,787

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by aphrodite-gone-awry
    But this might be more than a situation calls for--honesty at all costs. Yes, expressing dislike valiantly takes finesse, and manners are very much called for in this circumstance.
    Expressing dislike "valiantly" is a nice quality for sure, until it doesn't turn to "fake expressions for the sake of a compromise". It's just that I don't see this problem expressed in the Op, or perhaps I don't see it as a problem - certainly not as important as a lack of honesty and concern. THAT is something we should talk about.

Similar Threads

  1. Do you think people fear INTJs? If so, why do you think this is the case?
    By Scapegoated 4 fun in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 41
    Last Post: 06-13-2017, 11:20 AM
  2. Do you work out/devote a lot of time to your appearance? If so, why?
    By The Great One in forum Health and Fitness
    Replies: 101
    Last Post: 09-06-2014, 10:40 AM
  3. What if most of the Sensors here are really iNtuitives in disguise?
    By LunaLuminosity in forum Myers-Briggs and Jungian Cognitive Functions
    Replies: 34
    Last Post: 02-11-2011, 02:41 PM
  4. [MBTItm] Are You Sick of Being an N in an S world?
    By Esoteric Wench in forum The NF Idyllic (ENFP, INFP, ENFJ, INFJ)
    Replies: 205
    Last Post: 02-21-2010, 02:41 PM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
Single Sign On provided by vBSSO