4 5.41%
First 1234 Last

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Pfff, I read a lot of books but I'm ill-mannered. In the past people used to beat up women as an everyday activity. They were not better mannered than nowadays.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    INTj

"The only time I'm wrong is when I'm questioning myself."
    Haight

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    8w7 sx/so
    Socionics
    EIE

Quote Originally Posted by FDG View Post
    Pfff, I read a lot of books but I'm ill-mannered. In the past people used to beat up women as an everyday activity. They were not better mannered than nowadays.
    Haha! I do not believe you. From what I have seen, you behave really well unless you are angry in some heated argument.
    Same here.

Well, it was legal with wifebeating, that is true. Far from everyone ever did, though.
    At least in Sweden, it was always considered cowardly.
    Don't know how it was in Italy. It's always been a subject I've felt reluctance for.
    Progress has been made in some areas, I know.
    I never said more than what I said.

And of course, there has always been trash proletariat, as there will always be.
    It's just the amount of it that has changed for the worse.

Mightier than the tread of marching armies is the power of an idea whose time has come

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by Haight View Post
    10 5
    fixed.

I've been here almost a year I think, so I might make a few corrections for the adventurous who visit my thread. In fact, I think to make it more fun, I'll give eveyone my own little score, based on what I know of them historically on Type C or, if I don't know them well, based on their post style.

(I don't see this as a Jew. I see him as a holier-than-thou-or-perhaps-just-wise-Amish-man)
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    enfp
    Enneagram
    6w7 sp/sx
    Socionics
    IEE

Quote Originally Posted by aphrodite-gone-awry View Post
    Is it me or is each generation becoming ruder? I know I am not as etiquette-minded as my parents' generation. And I think my grandparents' generation was super nice: You couldn't knock on their door without being offered a cup of coffee or being invited in for a bit of conversation. Is it because people had more time then? What are you thoughts? Please also consider,

1) Does type affect manners? Is it an Fe thing?
    2) Would you describe yourself as rude or lacking manners? Or both? Or well-mannered?
    3) Do you think you need to improve in the manners department?
    4) Are manners not needed as much anymore in this age of technology?

Here are just a few articles that spurted forth on a google search:

University graduates 'lack manners' - Telegraph

GOOD MANNERS LACKING; DEFICIENCIES OF SOME AMERICAN YOUNG MEN.VARIOUS ... - Article Preview - The New York Times

Manners Lacking When it Comes to Technology

Does anyone have manners today? | Newspaper in Education - MassLive.com - masslive.com

Many Aussie women lack manners and are &squo;foul-mouthed and loud&squo; | The Courier-Mail

I think of manners as an Fe thing. I put 5 but I think I would change it to 6. I wouldn't say that I'm not well mannered but I think I get too comfortable too quick. I'm not as natural with formalities as I should be, unless I'm trying really hard, like for an interview or something. I do feel that generations before us did a better job at this. (The generations before the baby boomers.) They were less centered in their own success and busy lives and more centered in relationships and each other. I haven't read the article yet so I don't understand the technology question, but I can take a blind smack at it. I think we get too used to communicating via technology, which doesn't require as much skill with etiquette, as manners a lot of times require certain body language and facial expressions. I think of "technology manners" as using capital letters, proper punctuation, and spelling, and full sentences. An email with all the new abbreviations and smileys, lowercase, whatever, would indicate either a closer relationship, and of course you wouldn't email a resume with this type of language. But face to face manners are a completely different thing, obviously. So in short, no I don't think it's less necessary, but it's definitely less common since people get less practice. If that makes sense. I may be off in left field with this, but it's my own idea without having read the article to know what you're talking about.

I work with the elderly and find that having manners goes a long way in my friendships with them. They tend to open up and feel more comfortable around a young lady with manners, because that's what they grew up with.

Edit: Just read the technology in public article. That is much more accepted than it was even 5 years ago, I think.
    06/13 10:51:03 five sounds: you!!!
    06/13 10:51:08 shortnsweet: no you!!
    06/13 10:51:12 shortnsweet: go do your things and my things too!
    06/13 10:51:23 five sounds: oh hell naw
    06/13 10:51:55 shortnsweet: !!!!
    06/13 10:51:57 shortnsweet: (cries)
    06/13 10:52:19 RiftsWRX: You two are like furbies stuck in a shoe box

My Nohari
    My Johari
    by sns.

failure to thrive AphroditeGoneAwry's Avatar
    MBTI
    INfj
    Enneagram
    451 sx/so
    Socionics
    ENFj Ni

Quote Originally Posted by lastrailway View Post
    Before answering your questions, I'd like to note that I believe that each generation believes that next generations are ruder, more passive, more selfish, or whatever.
    Well, I was pointing to prior generations being nicer, not 'youngsters' being ruder. I think there is a difference. Don't you?

EDIT: For the record, I voted (6)
    I'll let this stand.

EDIT: Please excuse my perspective shift. It happens I guess I mean, let's keep this discussion within context of our generational reality. Yeah, it is common to say, "All generations think younger generations are ruder," but I just want to be clear that I don't think, and I hope for the sake of this discussion we agree, it's an appropriate excuse or rationalization for becoming less well-mannered (because that's just the way it is and always will be), if we indeed are becoming less well-mannered.
    Ni/Ti/Fe/Si
    4w5 5w4 1w9
    ~Torah observant, Christ inspired~
    Life Path 11

The more one loves God, the more it is that having nothing in the world means everything, and the less one loves God, the more it is that having everything in the world means nothing.

Do not resist an evil person, but to him who strikes you on the one cheek, offer also the other. ~Matthew 5:39

songofmary.wordpress.com

MBTI
    I

I wasn't going to comment, but I am now since there are people who disagree with my POV...

1) Does type affect manners? Is it an Fe thing?
    Not at all. I've seen people (specifically males), with otherwise low Fe, display very good manners because they know it's advantageous to the situation (not geniune).

2) Would you describe yourself as rude or lacking manners? Or both? Or well-mannered?
    I'm pretty well-mannered, if it means that I get something in return, or if it's for an important cause.

3) Do you think you need to improve in the manners department?
    In some cases yeah, I can be pretty loud or nonchalant or tense when things get boring or dragged on. But in general, not at all.

4) Are manners not needed as much anymore in this age of technology?
    No. Manners are still important - in interviews, meeting future in-laws, etc.

MBTI
    ENTP
    Enneagram
    7w6

Could you please excuse me from posting anything substantial in this thread? Thank you. *curtsies*

MBTI
    INFP

Perhaps because parents aren't hounding their children about manners because it isn't necessary for social survival anymore. Looks? Money? Social status? Much easier way to win people over.

MBTI
    infp

Quote Originally Posted by disregard View Post
    Perhaps because parents aren't hounding their children about manners because it isn't necessary for social survival anymore. Looks? Money? Social status? Much easier way to win people over.

Hasn't that always been the case though? in all ages, looks, money and social status have mattered more when it comes to winning over people, than manners ever have.

I hear people often going on about todays generation lacking manners, but I have been pushed by a granny trying to get on a bus, whilst I was holding a baby in one arm and pram in the other, not even giving me the chance to move out of her way, no excuse me, no manners whatsoever, so it's not purely generational.

It's a running joke that one should be careful of grannies near buses over here, they are rude.

Big city living over rural living is another that springs to mind when people talk about differences in manners. Yet that only works in you fit in to the small city and don't stand out, where were the manners in a small village I lived in in yorkshire when they were busy hailing out "Oi, paki" to me and my son?

Vs the teenage, hooded, criminal looking youth who stopped to ask me the other day if I needed help with my shopping, getting onto the bus, here in city living where I am now.

I don't know, I've seen manners span across cultures and generations, with only the personality, ie being a nice person, being the defining factor.
    Echo - "So are you trying to say she is Evil"

DeWitt - "Something far worse, she's an Idealist"

Berb's Johari Berb's Nohari