MBTI
    ERTP
    best collection of philosopher typings online

http://www.celebritytypes.com/philosophers/

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Evolution is a pet subject of mine (ive read some of his stuff and his quibbling with other scientists/philosophers). He screams F to me.

He'd be an awfully fluffy ENTP. He was into quoting old plays and old fiction. Its not that those things make you F. Its just that whenever he debated with Daniel Dennett (a T for sure) or Dawkins, there would be a very large apparent difference, not in perception, but in judgment (and i dont think it was Te vs Ti differences) (also, im not really in dawkins camp per se, so their mere disagreement doesnt mean gould is F).

He wrote a book on Science and Religion where seeks consensus and peace (which there's nothing inherently wrong with) called Rocks and Ages

His scientific essays for Natural History frequently refer to his nonscientific interests and pastimes. As a boy he collected baseball cards and remained a fiercely avid baseball fan throughout his life. As an adult he was fond of science fiction movies but often lamented about their mediocrity (not just in their presentation of science, but in their storytelling as well).[10] His other interests included singing in the Boston Cecilia (a madrigal choir), and he was a great aficionado of Gilbert and Sullivan operettas. He collected rare antiquarian books and textbooks. He often traveled to Europe, and spoke French, German, Russian, and Italian. He admired Renaissance architecture. When discussing the Judeo-Christian tradition, he usually referred to it simply as "Moses". He sometimes alluded ruefully to his tendency to put on weight.
    In 2001 the American Humanist Association named him the Humanist of the Year for his lifetime of work.
    Although a proud Darwinist, his emphasis was less gradualist and reductionist than most neo-Darwinists. He fiercely opposed many aspects of sociobiology and its intellectual descendant evolutionary psychology.
    heres a nice essay that conveys his writing style. Its definitely ENXX, but I might still lean ENFP

Darwinian Fundamentalism - The New York Review of Books

He just strikes me as more motive than structure. Its only a hunch though.

MBTI
    ENTJ
    Enneagram
    7w8
    Socionics
    ENTj

Clearly ENFP.
    ENTj 7-3-8 sx/sp

MBTI
    ERTP

why not enfj?

id be happy to have him as an enfp because my site sorely needs enfps, but something about him seems more fe to me

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

I think that just about everything that was said about his type was asinine. We are making assessments about his natural dispositions on the basis of how he came up with his ideas and expressed them in a public forum. Quite obviously he was influenced not only by his nature to act as he did but also by the professional expectations of the community where his works were received.

Now, this is piece of reasoning is just abhorrent. "He wrote a book on Science and Religion where seeks consensus and peace (which there's nothing inherently wrong with) called Rocks and Ages"

Did it ever cross your mind that he expressed such views because he thought they were true or because this is what he had to do to be well received by his audience rather than because they accord with his type?

If we want to understand his type, we'd need to read his biography where we may observe an impartial account of how he behaved when he had the freedom to behave in a way that was natural to him, not in a way that was imposed by a certain community or a set of values.

Hey, I am a fan of punctualed equilibrium or 'gradual evolution', does that mean that I'm an F? Furthermore, I do think that there is merit to Gould's suggestion that science and religion are not in conflict as much as many professional scholars do. Does that mean that all of a sudden I am an F seeking peace and harmony? Gould was an avid baseball fan, yet I'm an avid soccer fan with a membership at the Arsenal and the uefa websites, so there is no denial as to the nature of my type! You got me redhanded! And of course, I enjoy travelling, art and observing different cultures. Goodness me, how could I have possibly typed myself as a T, or especially a T dominant type?

"Evolution is a pet subject of mine (ive read some of his stuff and his quibbling with other scientists/philosophers). He screams F to me."

Goodness, me too! When I read about his controversy with Wilson, Dennett and Dawkins, I tended to side more with Gould than with them. What does this say about my type!?
    We should be looking at his biography to tell what his type is. The biographical information you've cited says little about his type, far from enough to conclude that he is an F.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    ERTP

so bluewing you dont even see from the clip that he's an EN?

its okay to employ different typing methods

will be looking forward to see what you arrive at then

oh and off topic: why isnt maimonides entj?

Tenured roisterer SolitaryWalker's Avatar
    MBTI
    INTP
    Enneagram
    5w6 so/sx

Quote Originally Posted by Blackwater View Post
    so bluewing you dont even see from the clip that he's an EN?

its okay to employ different typing methods

will be looking forward to see what you arrive at then

oh and off topic: why isnt maimonides entj?
    I am inclined to guess that he is an EN, yes. I don't think have enough information to go further however. Maimonides didn't have a great deal of structure in his personal life and quite naturally he relied more on brainstorming rather than careful planning or reflection to organize his life. Altogether, he was an extrovert and seemed to have been using his intuition far more loosely and naturally then a typical ENTJ hero of history has been. At this point, I'd be inclined to say ENTP, but again, this is a conjecture as my biographical information on him is far from sufficient.

---------------------------------------------------------------------

As for what I would come up with, let me just say this. Lets get some reliable biographical information on the man before we further mutilate the forum that is fraught with absurdities.
    "Do not argue with an idiot. They drag you down to their level and beat you with experience." -- Mark Twain

“No man but a blockhead ever wrote, except for money.”---Samuel Johnson

My blog: www.randommeanderings123.blogspot.com/

MBTI
    INFJ
    Enneagram

He strikes me as ENTP in that interview, but I have no real idea.

MBTI
    ERTP

i know you use a different method for typing.

to me, the fact that this man was a biologist yet refused to accept some basic truths about human nature - truths that are disagreeable to feeling, incidentally - is a strong indicator of him being eigther an ENF or an uncharacteristically whobbley ENTP.

MBTI
    INTJ
    Enneagram
    1w9 sp/sx

Quote Originally Posted by SolitaryWalker View Post
    I think that just about everything that was said about his type was asinine. We are making assessments about his natural dispositions on the basis of how he came up with his ideas and expressed them in a public forum. Quite obviously he was influenced not only by his nature to act as he did but also by the professional expectations of the community where his works were received.

Now, this is piece of reasoning is just abhorrent. "He wrote a book on Science and Religion where seeks consensus and peace (which there's nothing inherently wrong with) called Rocks and Ages"

Did it ever cross your mind that he expressed such views because he thought they were true or because this is what he had to do to be well received by his audience rather than because they accord with his type?

If we want to understand his type, we'd need to read his biography where we may observe an impartial account of how he behaved when he had the freedom to behave in a way that was natural to him, not in a way that was imposed by a certain community or a set of values.

Hey, I am a fan of punctualed equilibrium or 'gradual evolution', does that mean that I'm an F? Furthermore, I do think that there is merit to Gould's suggestion that science and religion are not in conflict as much as many professional scholars do. Does that mean that all of a sudden I am an F seeking peace and harmony? Gould was an avid baseball fan, yet I'm an avid soccer fan with a membership at the Arsenal and the uefa websites, so there is no denial as to the nature of my type! You got me redhanded! And of course, I enjoy travelling, art and observing different cultures. Goodness me, how could I have possibly typed myself as a T, or especially a T dominant type?

"Evolution is a pet subject of mine (ive read some of his stuff and his quibbling with other scientists/philosophers). He screams F to me."

Goodness, me too! When I read about his controversy with Wilson, Dennett and Dawkins, I tended to side more with Gould than with them. What does this say about my type!?
    We should be looking at his biography to tell what his type is. The biographical information you've cited says little about his type, far from enough to conclude that he is an F.
    let me quote from my post sw

(also, im not really in dawkins camp per se, so their mere disagreement doesnt mean gould is F)
    I tend to agree with gould on a few things as well. I even assert that his conclusions arent what are driving my thinking

His scientific essays for Natural History frequently refer to his nonscientific interests and pastimes. As a boy he collected baseball cards and remained a fiercely avid baseball fan throughout his life. As an adult he was fond of science fiction movies but often lamented about their mediocrity (not just in their presentation of science, but in their storytelling as well).[10] His other interests included singing in the Boston Cecilia (a madrigal choir), and he was a great aficionado of Gilbert and Sullivan operettas. He collected rare antiquarian books and textbooks. He often traveled to Europe, and spoke French, German, Russian, and Italian. He admired Renaissance architecture. When discussing the Judeo-Christian tradition, he usually referred to it simply as "Moses". He sometimes alluded ruefully to his tendency to put on weight.
    SW, I totally understand what you mean about drawing conclusions based on your hobbies and scientific conclusions among controversy.

--Im NOT pegging him based on his love for baseball
    --NOR am I pegging based on some of his beliefs

Im basing it on the fact that he actually took the time TO WRITE ABOUT his other non-related things (art, history, sports etc) in his SCIENCE articles. Some here might just put that into a box of Ne. No function exists in a vacuum, and I however see NeFi. I would NEVER expect to read a bluewing post that includes random references to baseball and peguyian (the poster) references to past art styles/movements.

Basically SW, youve come here to denounce me as if I had said, "all lawyers are assholes" for being deductively false, when all I really said was, "lawyers are probably assholes" (not deductive at all). So no, im not going to deductively prove that Gould is F from the facts I have stated about him. I am however coming away with an intuition that he is ENFP (I even included a link to a long essay of his so that you can experience it too!).

Im only about 60/40 sure of his ENFPness (Pness )